1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The true reasons behind the lack of popularity of this class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KOSEM, Aug 12, 2015.

1. KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    6:05 AM
    Hi everyone, sorry for the unexpected thread. I just wanted to discuss something with you.

You see, recently I have started playing the gunslinger class. I like how they are similar to NLs, but are more interesting than NLs. I didnt think I would get so into them, but here I am. Now, what bothers me is how unpopular and rarely played gunslingers are. I mean really, there simply arent many players who choose to play this class. My question is WHY?

There are a few possible reasons that come to mind:

1. Because they are considered an inferior class to NLs or an inferior class in generally.

2. Because people think they are weak.

3. Because they are overlooked due to not being an "original" class and released later on in the game.

4. Because they have no buffs to offer party wise.

Now, these reasons may be all or just some of why players decide not to play this class. I dont know how equally these reasons apply. But I mean, really, even if these reasons are true - they're still a great class. At 4th job, they have one of the highest DPS classes. Even before 4th job they remain a great 1v1 class. They have their downsides of course, but which class doesnt have any? Why would they be thought of the ones with worse downsides than other classes?

I'm okay with people who hate the class, or think they suck, etc etc. I'm mainly interested in finding out where does all that hatred come from.

2. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    12:05 AM
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    I have a sair that I play casually when I'm bored because I like the class. I always main a bishop but a sair is obviously completely different so it provides a nice break.

Overall, damage wise, until 4th job sairs suck. 3rd job they start to get better but they don't truly shine until 4th job. Kinda ironic that a class with arguably the weakest damage early game becomes the #1 dps late game. Also perfecting an end-game wepon sucks for a sair as well since 30%s m aren't a thing and white scrolls being so rare.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. Redwine

Redwine Capt. Latanica

Apr 20, 2015
    USA
    Redwine
    CIRCUS
    1. the 4th job dps you refer to is very ship-dependant. maintaining ship uptime is fun at first (well, not even at first), but its a lot of micromanagement and gets very tedious in long buss runs. If you can't maintain 70-80% ship up time, DPS becomes inferior to NLs.

2. these guys are a pain in the ass to level up in 2nd and 3rd job. you'll get laughed at if you try to look for a ws/himes party as an outlaw.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Worry

Worry Dark Stone Golem

Aug 4, 2015
    Female
    Middle of Nowhere
    10:05 PM
    Helga
    Spearman
    Halcyon
    As someone who maimed corsair in a similar low rate server the largest problem with the class is that their early game is so abysmally bad, makes their late game really not worth it. The dps difference from other top classes isn't really large enough for most people to warrant the struggle that is the first 120 levels.

For the first 120 level a your pretty much a mediocre bowman, with all the range limitations and none of the easy farming.

Their single target shop dps, although good is just too reliant on n perfect shop control. And they aren't the world's greatest mobbers even post 4th job.

The class is wonderful and fun. However it's not really good compared to the other explorers. So people tend to overlook them. I wouldn't say that people hate them so much as people know they're weak and just don't pay them.

Typed this from my phone please ignore any mistakes. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    5:05 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    Because NL is life.

Seriously though, its just that as redwine stated, if you can't maintain the ship, its not worth.

Plus with SE & TT30, Nightlords are absolute Gods when funded. Yet I think sairs out dmg them if they can manage to get SI.

tldr;
    NL = Train
    Sair = Tunnel
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    I'm probably a minority on this view but reason #4 is one of the things that made Corsairs appealing for me on GMS. I really enjoy the freedom of playing without having to buff others. SlimeSmile

On the other hand, I don't really see the point of this thread. I don't think this class is "hated". Ease of play is something to consider. They ARE weak compared to other ranged classes in the beginning (without funds) but the bigger issue is that training them to 4th job is both difficult and tedious for most players. Cleric/Priests/Bishops are so popular because they can rake in money but also because they are (relatively) easy to play and to level up. As for the other range classes, archers have an easier time mobbing early in 2nd job than Gunslingers. Thieves have haste which is more reliable and easier to control than dash and they are much stronger. I don't think people hate Gunslingers. There are just many easier alternatives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ryan

Ryan Slimy

Apr 7, 2015
    Male
    Michigan
    Ryan
    Hero
    Project
    Being a hero I don't have to give buffs and I love it...
    Unless some nub wants rage
    But nobody wants rage

• Like Like x 2
  8. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    No one wants rage Ryan, no one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ryan

Ryan Slimy

Apr 7, 2015
    Male
    Michigan
    Ryan
    Hero
    Project
    Believe it or not I have been asked for rage quite a few times.
    But I just say no :cool:

10. tikeri

tikeri King Slime

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Koho
    Pirate
    Jsqaud
    Ok since im the last Highier lvl sair still active let me tell you why there is so few of us. I know have cancer getting my outlaw to 102. There just so weak early on that its just not fun to play. They only get strong around lvl 80 plus the places you can grind are very limited.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    5:05 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    Hero Class
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    Part of me agrees with many of the things you said guys. That they're hard to level up, are very boat-dependent, etc etc etc. I'll be honest, if I had to pick the most annoying class to level up with pre-4th job, it would be either Sairs or Buccanner. In other words, the Pirate class itself. At this version atleast, they were made to appear as if Neckson intended them to be a challenging class, but in reality, instead of being challenging, most of the skills(especially pre4th ones) are mediocre, weak, or useless. Only a few are useful or does something productive enough.

Gunslinger is that kind of class that there has to be something specific that attracts you to them, otherwise, its not worth your effort. Me for example, I am playing them because I like being unique, and, I like their Burst fire at 3rd job. Before 4th they're a total mess, I will agree on that. they have probably the most useless skills of any class before 4th job. Grenade, blank shot, octopus, etc...and even skills that seem to be more useful, arent that useful at all. Like flamethrower and icesplitter.

So generally, yes. Gunslingers suck, especially before 4th job. But if you have something specific that attracts you to play them, they can be fun. The path to 120 will always be hard with this class, but its not impossible. Also, my aim isnt to reach 4th job(although that would be awesome!). My aim is to simply play the class. I actually had NL in mind, but then I thught of gunslingers, thought they're ike NLs but more interesting, and gave them a shot. I took a look at what I am going to enjoy with them, and that was enough for me.

So I'd say, gunslingers are meant mostly for people who dont mind having to work really hard to hit 120, and, dont mind being inferior in general. I am one of them, no joke. When I play this class, I dont feel like I am at a disadvantage. I feel alright with my decision. For me, I feel the downsides of a Gunslinger are ones I can deal with and say "okay, that's fine. That wont stop me from playing Gunslinger.", that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doap

Doap Mixed Golem

Jan 15, 2015
    Male
    Doap
    Hunter
    :less
    I personally just don't feel like learning a new class. It's not that it'd be super hard, I just know what I know already and go off that cuz it's easier.

14. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    Yeah I feel that, most people dont play Gunslinger specifically because of that. Because they are unfamiliar with the class, and they dont want to bother learning to play them(for some reason).

I can understand why, and again, Gunslingers are a class meant for a very specific taste. Its not a popular class for obvious reasons. But, they exist for the kind of players who want something more challenging, or are willing to deal with the disadvantages for the sake of other things it has to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    This is how I feel when I play Warrior already for all time. I may try Mage in near future though.

16. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    What is your opinion about the gunslinger class, Kim?

17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Never played it but only hear the similar thing; bad at begin, good at late game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    Yeah Ive kind of concluded that's the main reason why its such an unpopular class, because its a lot of hard work to level it, and some people dont feel like its worth the effort for them.

19. Redwine

Redwine Capt. Latanica

Apr 20, 2015
    USA
    Redwine
    CIRCUS
    Agree with KOSEM. Anyone willing to play corsair is going to have to accept that they will be handicapped. I can think of very few instances tho where you'd rather have a corsair over a NL. Maybe if all you do wanna do is solo bigfoots, but other than that, NLs just seem superior. Dmg is similar, party buffs, better utility with meso-up/dark sight/haste/flash jump, don't have to deal with ship.

Also let's remember that corsairs are not godly once they hit 120. Battleship will have 4k hp, will get 2 hit by skeles, and then you're back to using the same old skills you've been using for the past 50 levels. It's not until you're 140ish with maxed cannon and ~50k in ship hp that you'll really see things come together.

I am a fan of the corsair class. You just have to accept that it's hard and shitty.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nave

Nave Horny Mushroom

May 9, 2015
    Zane
    Reformed
    ^this so much
    ship hp is cancer.

[​IMG]

pls.

crusader have more useless skills.

i agree, under perfect conditions (bosses that don't attack often) corsairs will have the edge and at bosses like zakum they will most likely deal as much damage as a nl (more if it's a skilled corsair).

i like the class because they have a very fun and versatile kit. not a class for everyone but definitely worth a try.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 6