1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple - Why is it so Male-Dominated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KOSEM, Aug 14, 2015.

Why do you think there are more Male players than Female ones on Maple?

1. Because Maple has a gameplay or general features that attract male playerbase more than female.

2. Because most girls dont like MMORPG's in general.

3. Because most girls dont like to play video games in general.

4. Because most girls find Maple to be too complicated/difficult to understand.

5. Because girls actually play Maple, but quit after a short time and thats why we dont see them again.

6. Because girls arent aware of the existence of private servers.

7. Because girls think that private servers are dangerous or might contain malware.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Horny Mushroom

May 22, 2015
    Female
    Narnia
    5:53 PM
    Bliss
    Bishop
    Majestic
    ^These. If any girls here ever played Audition in NA or EU, there were significantly more girls than guys. @Tamai@Tamai to confirm OnionXD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spooky

Spooky Brown Teddy

Mar 27, 2015
    11:53 PM
    I actually attempted to joined one on EMS Kradia while playing a girl character :^^^)
    Part of the sign-up was providing a timestamped selfie to prove you were a girl
    Don't think they lasted more then a couple months, though

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    12:53 AM
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    It was a joke, I'm sorry if you don't like jokes. I'm not a bad kinda guy :(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    6:53 PM
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    A picture to sum up g.i.r.l.s
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tamai

Tamai Slime

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    Outer Space
    Zanarkand
    Priest
    THIS IS REAL. TOO REAL. I'm like flabbergasted now on this server because I'm so used to everyone being a girl. I automatically assume FEMALE until proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    3:53 PM
    NSFW
    i sexually identify as an attack helicopter

also, people can pretend to be a girl online because they can't irl.
    dude what
    there are people like that of both genders

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. Saya

Saya Red Snail

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Saya
    Gunslinger
    Wall of text incoming! Take cover!

I've seen this kind discussion in every single game I've played...
    So, let me enlight you with my factual knowledge on the subject.

The main reason that comes out when asking why guys play girl characters in mmorpg is simply... Because they feel it's nicer to look at.
    It makes sense, if you are going to stare at your character for hundreds of hours, you must at least like how he/she looks.
    That's the most of them. They don't pretend to be girls, they just do it because of visual preferences.

The other kind that people often mention are the one that do it to get free stuff and attention. They can usually be spotted trying too hard to "sounds like a girl"
    The most obvious one is the excessive use of smiley and hearts and trying too hard to sound cute and girly. When in reality, there are very few real girls that act like that.
    But that's a minority compared to the previous one.

Another one worth mentioning are transgenders. To be REALLY simple, it's when people wish to be, or consider themself as the opposite gender.
    Playing as the opposite gender would give them an easy way to be treated the way they wish to, since it might be quite difficult to do so in real life. (Either as a male or female)

After that comes the rest, with very different reasons for each individual. It would take too long to mention everything.
    -----

BUT.
    That's mostly common knowledge to everyone now. There is actually something else that almost never pops out in those converstations.

It's that the same reasons I mentioned above applies to girls as well.
    There are just as many girls playing male characters than boys playing female characters, yet, nobody ever mentions it. Now, THAT'S more interesting already.
    They also have other reasons to play male characters beside the visual preference.

Since most games are "male dominated", beeing seen as a girl can be extremely annoying in many ways.
    The vast majority of them just want to play the game, beeing treated the same as everyone and nothing else.
    Have you ever seen a girl going in a voice chat in a game like call of duty or league of legends? (Or any online game really)
    It's usually goes: Someone says something sexist to the girl, then someone goes full white knight toward the girl and crap ensues.

The easy fix to games without voice chat, is to just play a male character. NOBODY will ever question that you are man. Nobody.
    It's kind of funny how it's the complete opposite.

Also, yaoi.

TL;DR people thinks there are more men in games because:

1) Girls play male characters as well.
    2) Most girls never mention their gender or lie to be treated the same.
    3) People automatically assume that everyone is a man until proven female.
    4) According to the rule of the internet number 16: There are NO girls on the internet.

When in reality, there must still be more men in mmorpg, but not by that big of a difference that people think.

That's about everything I guess. People just play and act like they prefer to. Most of time, it's not more complicated than that.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    ALL games are male dominated, nothing new

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    I knew quite a few real girls who played male characters, but even with all the facts you mentioned(which are true), there are still more males than females on Maple, and on online games in general. But, I dont know about how it is in other countries, but here atleast, no matter where I go I ALWAYS see young women playing with their mobile phones. Everywhere. My assumption for why there are fewer girls in big online games like Maple is because girls prefer playing in their mobile phones, the simple, casual games - or single player ones where you dont get to play with others. They dont like too complicated games, or games that require a lot of work/dedication - like Maple. So it all comes down to the way the female brain works - and it works differently than the male brain. Besides that, its really okay that there are many males who play female characters because they have to stare at their character for many hours. That, in particular, is fine. What's not fine(or well, atleast, not very appealing if you ask me) is males who use their female character to pretend to be a girl. I always naturally found that to be sickening, sorry to say. If you want to play a female character, you can do so even if you're a male, but its pointless to say you are a female irl when you're not, and like I already said, no smart men out there would fall for that trick of those who pretend to be a girl with a female character. When I see female characters in game, I treat them just as if they're males. Maple isnt a place for dating, so I dont need to start being nicer just because my virtual self is standing next to a female. :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    Yep. I don't deny that at all. I'm talking about likelihood though. From my experience, I run into those issues less often with girls. It could just be because I don't meet enough of them to find the ones that are rude/offensive/lacking tact. This applies in real life as well. It might have to do with how men and women are socialized.

I know I shouldn't make huge generalizations based on my experience. Maybe I should compile a list, collect the data, and let you know what I find... but that's too much work. Off the top of my head I can name 5 IGNs belonging to male characters that I had these problems with (mostly involving use of the n-word... i.e. lack of tact/offensive). I can only think of one female character online that I had any issue with.

tldr; Not all guys are rude, not all girls are sweet... yes, duh. That doesn't change my desire to want to play w/ other girls. SlimeSmile

11. flndrsql

flndrsql Blue Snail

Jun 13, 2015
    Female
    desudesu
    Magician
    As a completely straight man-- okay, maybe I like my 2d lolis a little too much-- who identifies as a man, I make my character cute and frilly and act as girly as I can online because there's no way to express it in real life. If I did so they'd lock me up and you'd see me on the evening news. It'd be the "diversity" and "tolerance" people doing the persecution. They're no help.

In real life, I am tall, heavily built, and have thick eye brows, a loud and deep voice, and am usually employed in the male dominated professions of software and management. That doesn't reflect the insecurity I feel on the inside. I used to play sports in high school. It's just more relaxing to name my character something like "loli imouto," and then hit cute slimes with vibrant flashes of light for imaginary currency.

Anyways if people laugh at me irl, I'd physically attack them so that doesn't help me out either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. zook

zook Capt. Latanica

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    Around
    Candy
    Night Lord
    ~ ~ ~
    lol I remember this guild , we made a MCPVikings for the lulz

13. Michii

Michii Orange Mushroom

Jun 18, 2015
    Female
    Hidden Street: Hideout 16
    6:53 AM
    You can guess F3
    Magician
    Aloha
    Are there really more male maple players than females? o - o always had thought the ratio is more or less 50-50

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rawfodog

Rawfodog Chronos

Mar 18, 2015
    Norway
    Rawfodog / ItzMjauzzz / Foxy / Foxsky / TheBaker / ReaI
    I/L Wizard
    Project
    you should add an option that contradicts your opinion too, cus your opinion is all you have built this on...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cow Sandal

Cow Sandal Mano

May 19, 2015
    Female
    1:53 AM
    mompoofart/broom/glue
    Pirate
    jendir knot tha metter off gaiming noobs EVERYWON KAN PLEY "FREA FOUR OLL!"

16. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015