1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows XP/Vista/7 Fixing the virus/trojan problem.

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Kosmith, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Kosmith

Kosmith Red Snail

Jul 13, 2016
    Male
    6:04 PM
    Kosmith
    Cleric
    Hello maplers,

Despite the server being maintained very well, I think the server's poplulation deserves to be higher.
    I also think that one of the main reason for people's reluctence to join is the ".exe" file being corrupted. I know a good friend of mine refuses to play due to this reason. I saw many posts on this forum about allowing the file to be accepted by the antivirus, and I guess that's how the majority of members are able to play, but I haven't seen any posts regarding the reason the file is found as a trojan. I know that other maplestory servers don't have this problem so I think that it can be fixed on this server. Does anybody have any insight regarding this issue, whether can it be fixed, and what is preventing it?

Truly,
    Kosmith

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:04 PM
    Moderator Post
    I don't know the direct reason why anti viruses flag it, but I start to slowly feel they do it purposely because its a Private Server in end (illegal). There's many times where I altered the client so the detetion rate is basically gone (1-4 detections on virustotal) but like 3 days later they are detected again.

The next patch when PoofcakesPoofcakes is done with it I will also provide a new .exe that is again fresh, so its 'less detected' for a bit again.

Though one reason is that we pack our client so outside sources can't dig into our .exe to find out edits, etc

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vith

Vith Dark Stone Golem

May 6, 2016
    11:04 AM
    Vith
    White Knight
    Before I get into why MapleLegends is detected as a trojan, let me just say that all executables (.exe) have a very unique digital fingerprint, called the MD5.

Basically, when you unpack and repack an executable (which all MapleStory private servers do by the way [unless they use a custom redirect]) with changes, the MD5 gets changed. Antivirus programs notice that the MD5 is different from the original v62 MapleStory.exe, and they go nuts.

The only way that this can ever be changed is if MapleLegends uses a client custom made from the ground up (not worth the effort [it would take years as a casual hobby by one person]), or uses a specific custom redirect method while still using the original MapleStory .exe (not worth it).

I can assure you that MapleLegends is safe to play. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Kosmith

Kosmith Red Snail

Jul 13, 2016
    Male
    6:04 PM
    Kosmith
    Cleric
    Thank you Kimberly and Vith, as I read more about this MD5 algorithm and digital fingerprinting (I'm more of a chemist so it's new for me) I understood the length of the work that needs to be put in. May I ask what makes the new ".exe" file that is coming along with Poofcakes's patch "fresh" and less detectable?

If this information needs to be kept discreet, and I do understand im asking a lot of questions,
    I'll understand if you won't reply.

Kosmith

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:04 PM
    Moderator Post
    I mean by fresh is that less anti viruses detect it because its 'new'.

Also, something else people are concerned about I guess is non-secured webpage. So today we were working on that and main site and forums should be https/secured/encrypted real soon.

EDIT: Done.

https://MapleLegends.com
    Https://forum.maplelegends.com

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 2