1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Account sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miika, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    7:37 AM
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    It has recently came to my knowledge that account sharing here is pretty 'normal'.

If you didn't know, account sharing is against ToS in MapleLegends; 14day ban for first offense, account ban for second offense (or atleast this is what it states)

So how come this is pretty normal? Doesn't people just care? Doesn't they get punished?

I'm not just pulling this out from the hat that this is pretty normal. This morning I walked in FM and saw 2 people talking how someone else controlled SE mule during Zakum that wasn't his/theirs or what so ever. Another instance I had today in LPQ lobby where couple guys were talking about it and asking if someone has another computer so he/she could log his sin. I talked with them about account sharing and I basically got replied 'it's normal here' (one of the persons didn't even know it was against ToS)

I've also talked with couple of my friends who been here longer time and they also told me it is pretty normal.

Just, whyyy people keep doing this? ;___;

(btw this is not a rant, rather opening a discussion on the topic)

Any input will be highly appreciated^^

• Like Like x 16
  2. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    11:37 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Welp, you done opened the can of worms.

• Like Like x 13
  3. Tarte

Tarte Chronos

Oct 19, 2015
    Female
    10:37 PM
    Lullabies
    Bishop
    Demure
    Could it be that you're misunderstand account sharing for dual logging? It's very common for people to make multiple accounts with a single character to self leech or have other mules like SE mules, door mules, etc. A single person can use VMware for this. I believe this is ok since it's your own accounts and is not account sharing.

• Like Like x 4
  4. OP
    OP
    Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    No, I'm 100% sure I'm not misunderstanding here. One of the persons who I saw in FM even confirmed there was account sharing happened. I do multiclienting myself too

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    1:37 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    A lot of people (not all) don't do things that violate the ToS because of the punishment, not because it is what's right. If they see that others are doing it and it's not getting punished, they start doing it themselves because they have nothing to be "afraid of". Same happened with vote abusing, until a huge wave of people got banned for it and I assume people stopped doing it. I honestly believe it won't stop until there are actual bans for it.

• Like Like x 5
  6. OP
    OP
    Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    This makes sense. I guess that works with any wrong doings until first person gets punished. Thanks for input!
    (yup I heard about the vote abuse incident too >.<)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    12:37 AM
    I am with you! I occasionally ask just to make sure that account sharing is still against the rules, because it is happening all the time very blatantly. It annoys me, but then again, so did vote abuse. In the long run I think you have to just choose to stick by your own moral code and let others do as they please, even though it's really unfair!

***One thing I heard was that there won't be bans for it because it's hard to prove and it would negatively impact population too much?? It would be one thing if it's just low levels account sharing out of ignorance, but actually some of the top players (even in top 10 ranking of the server) are guilty of account share.

(***All of that is just hearsay and not an official response or anything like that.)

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mannitol

Mannitol Blue Snail

Dec 12, 2016
    Male
    England
    5:37 AM
    Haem
    Dragon Knight
    Nekkid
    Just felt I needed to contribute to the conversation in no way whatsoever... :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    But it's hard for me just ignore stuff like this sometimes >.< Especially when I was already in bad mood when heard about it in the first place haha! I guess karma will get back on those people?

Is it really that hard to prove if you got one to suspect? I mean just check IPs and stuff? I'm not an expert with this kind of stuff tho :< But yeah I understand the fact that it would hurt the server BADLY if there was mass ban wave when the population is already this little

• Like Like x 1
  10. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    IP checking cant be used as enough grounds to ban a suspect, how do you know it still isnt the rightful owner thats logged in?

In cases such as players living in the same household etc.

11. atobe

atobe Chronos

Oct 17, 2015
    Male
    Atobe
    Hero
    Demure
    the bigger issue with account sharing is the drama that it starts because when 1 party takes items/mesos off of the account there is no way to say that it was party 1 or party 2 items. So you end up putting the admins in a bad spot because they can never solve the situation. It also creates a horrible ppl2pass standard because you can have an account grind around the clock ( Like how Tigers account was done).

It does nothing to the economy or the player base as a whole. It just creates drama when the members of the account go their separate ways. Similar to someone giving away their items when they quit. Then come back and ask for them back.

• Like Like x 3
  12. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    Yeah there an incident last year with someone lending int gears?
    Admins really can't "fairly" deal with any of these incidents so either you get a biased decision or the admins can't do shit and then everyone gets angry.
    Be happy kiddos :)

13. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    what kind of scumbag would vote abuse am i right
    PogChamp

• Like Like x 8
  14. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    Guess it's just hard to prove without constantly verifying the identity of who's on the account. IP logging can't really be done because you'll have a different IP every time you switch networks (home, school, work, etc.). MAC addresses can be spoofed as well. Hardware address won't work since you can log on using different pcs in different locations.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

5:37 AM
    Account sharing is against the terms of service.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    2:37 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    I must admit that I find it rather comical at this point. I've known people have been account sharing for the entirety of the time that I've been playing here and I can't recall ever seeing a single ban for it. I'm not talking about a handful of people either, I'm talking large number of players. Sometimes it's even hard to remember who the original account holder is. It used to shock me that people were taking that risk but these days it doesn't even evoke a reaction.

Unless penalties are going to be enforced, you can expect account sharing to remain the status quo.

• Like Like x 8
  17. OP
    OP
    Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    Just by curiosity, if one were to get banned for account sharing (let's say he account shared at Zakum and all his party members were well aware of that) would that lead banning the party members too? Basically they're taking the advantage of account sharing too and knowing it

I'm referring to this

Rekt >.<

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  18. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    2:37 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    They'd have to ban the whole server at this point XD

• Like Like x 9
  19. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    6:37 AM
    Demure
    Some men just want to watch the world burn...

• Like Like x 7
  20. OP
    OP
    Miika

Miika Slime

Nov 29, 2016
    Male
    Finland
    Miiika / Miika
    Priest
    Nekkid
    Do you really think that's the purpose of this thread? That's the last thing I wanna achieve. It's not really hard to play this game by its rules, or well, seems to many people it actually is

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.