1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Account sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miika, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    6:55 PM
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Ehhhh.. its against the rules not because its advantageous to the gameplay itself, because its not, but rather because of posts like this that cause drama as atobe said above

i.e. omg this particular character is leveling faster than my character and im really competitive even though it is a private server and I want to be level 120 before they can but I cant because that other character was shared.

The end result if a character indeed was shared and grinded round the clock, to every other player in the community, has no advantage. the only advantage is for the character internally in terms of skills and damage. Another character getting a zhelm because someone else did the JQ has 0 effect on whether you get a zhelm or not because you didnt account share. Yes its still against the TOS because its posted in there, but the idea behind why its against TOS is because when issues come up regarding items/mesos then its hard to prove or disprove who did it and is just a headache for GMs to deal with.

In essence, think of it like driving over the speed limit in a car. It is against the law, it provides advantage only to the speeding car to get to the final destination faster, but to all other drivers it makes no difference if that guy gets somewhere faster or not as long as they too get to their own destinatio (you have to assume no hazard of crashing and that the speeding car is not impeding any other cars ability to drive and get to their destination). Now, if that speeding car WAS to cause an issue which impeded other cars on the road, like an accident, then thats a much much bigger headache for all parties involved. Unless there are cameras proving that the car was speeding, it would be based solely on one persons word vs another. So to keep roads safe and prevent these "issues" speeding is against the law.

Real life example ofcourse it carries more weight behind it cuz we are talking about safety and lives etc, but these factors don translate into the game.

What does translate are the ideas of inconvenience when an "issue" arises (not impeding anyone else in the community, but rather issues between parties using the account) then its just a way to not deal with that nonsense and so inserting a clause in the TOS saying it is illegal to do is the easiest way to be preventive on the GMs part.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Also, out of curiosity, why is it hard for you to ignore? Does it prevent you or affect your physical ability to play the game?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fredrik

Fredrik Chronos

Oct 12, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    2:55 AM
    Feddieze/Blackbird
    Shadower
    Halyconrad
    The thing that bothers me about account sharing if when people do it on such a degree that you never actually know who controls a certain character. It just doesn't feel good to have someone on your buddy list logging on, and you end up having no clue if it's the friend you added or someone else, since the account in question is shared with a bunch of people. Just makes it awkwarddd :c

• Like Like x 6
  4. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    You also dont know which mailman handles and delivers your mail but do you care?

Theres a UPS driver who typically does the routes for my neighborhood, and I order stuff online frequently. I've gotten to know his name and he recognizes me when he brings me stuff.

One time, it was a different mailman. When he rang my doorbell, I said hello. He said "package for you sir". I said "Thanks". He said have a nice day and I closed my door.

And nobody died. Funny how that worked.OnionWhatever

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  5. Fredrik

Fredrik Chronos

Oct 12, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Feddieze/Blackbird
    Shadower
    Halyconrad
    Was I unclear in what I wrote?

Yes, if different mailmen started coming to my door every time, instead of my beloved Bob the mailman, which I used to talk to alot, I'd wonder where Bob was, and wonder why he never came to my house again. Although no clue why we talking mailmen MapleF3_Origin

• Like Like x 3
  6. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Thats fine but the point again is.. it doesnt physically affect your ability to play the game. You said it bothered you not knowing who it was.

So what if the person on your BL isn't your friend Bob? Go do what you were gonna do anyway.

Or perhaps you thought it was Bob so you could train together? Still no problem! Its just his character which is the training partner, Joe who is logged on can do the same things that Bob would have done.

Like I said, if a new mailman started delivering your stuff, why would that bother you? Youre still getting your mail.

7. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

1:55 AM
    Im against account sharing because i do feel they have an in game advantage. The more you play, the more EXP, mesos, quests achivements, etc you can get. Lets say someone shares a bishop, they now have a free account to leech themselves with. They put no effort into grinding that character to 120, no effort to get genesis, etc. And to top that off, they can now leech their NL or BM completely free while gaining mesos, equips and EXP on both characters. They also have the benefit that, lets say they Gach on their personal account and the owner of the shared account can Gach too, they are technically multivoting without ever being caught.

Say one of our top players got to lvl 200 by account sharing 2 minutes before the next guy got lvl 200. The one who got second place did it 100% on his own, while the one who got first, technically never got to level 200.

Account sharing Bishops, NLs, BMs, DrKs all give you BUFF ADVANTAGES that regular players, following the rules, do not.

Saying account sharing gives no in game advantage is a complete lie and no one would be doing it if it were true.

I also agree with what FredrikFredrik said. Trusting someone, liking them, adding them to your buddylist and finding out theyre account sharing with someone you dont know is honestly just crappy. Especially if you talk to them, tell them personal things etc just to find out they arent the person you added in the first place.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Fredrik

Fredrik Chronos

Oct 12, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Feddieze/Blackbird
    Shadower
    Halyconrad
    I never said it was a big issue though?
    This was never about me discussing weather account sharing is ok or not, I'm not gonna go into that discussion. I was just voicing some frustration. I'd prefer if people I talk too a lot said they were gonna share, at least if they are gonna do it alot, since I just think that's GOOD manners between friends. It's just an opinion and I'm sure everyone won't agree.

I wouldn't compare people on my blist with mailmen either, since I consider a bunch of them actual friends. MapleF3

• Like Like x 3
  9. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    I said its advantageous internally to the shared account sure. But its not a disadvantage to someone else.
    A shared account gives someone the ability to have a buff like HB? Ok. That doesnt stop you from making an hb buff account on your own.

The basis of my argument was that it didnt impede other players ability to play the game. And like I said, the only thing that you could argue about was the competitive "I got to 200 after the shared account because its unfair" fine but that doesnt take away from your own achievement of getting to 200 on your own.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Everyone is so focued on the process, that youre all missing the fact that the end result is the same.

11. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Hey, Good manners is all nice and stuff between friends. Whatever relationships you have with people, good for you. But your friend doesnt have any obligation to tell you what he/she does or doesnt do with their character. Its theirs, not yours.

If they keep you out of the loop like that though.... then they probably dont want you to know for reasons. I wonder what the reason might be (perhaps they think you'll be frustrated with the concept...hmmmm). Maybe they arent as good a friend as you wanted them to be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

I think you missed the gach, equips, money advantage. which is a disadvantage. the competitive part is a disadvatange. getting a SE mule, leech mule takes a lot of time. its not as simple as saying "he can just make a hb mule on his own"

MESOS is an advantage

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  13. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Yeah, making characters takes time. Time = process, time does not = the end result.

If you suddenly got your hands on an SE mule allowing you to train more effectively, thats not preventing me from continuing to play the game like I did before you got access to SE. Thats your own gameplay, it doesnt affect me. We dont play a PvP game in maple, we play a PvE.

Im not talking about items gach equips because I pointed out those were the factors when GMs have to deal with issues when account sharing goes wrong, thus having it illegal in ToS is a way to circumvent that headache by applying it globally.

14. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

You making enough money from that shared bishop to buy all the claw 30s prevents any NL trying desperately to raise funds for these rare scrolls from making the gear he/she need to be strong. How do you not see the mesos being made as an avantage and a detrement to other players? im not talking even about the items between accounts. Im talking about the mesos thats able to be made because of it. You never worked a day in your life for that bishop u get yet you can sell leech to someone for 8mil/hr and buy fm clean of whatever you need right away.

What if they share accounts and the person using the account is idk... scamming or hacking or harassing players and breaking other ToS's on the shared account? Whos to blame? Person A who owns the account and shared it or Person B who borrows the account?

Also, saying account sharing isnt damaging IF YOU EXCLUDE competition and IF YOU EXCLUDE drama with mesos, items. Then what exactly are you INCLUDING?

I am in no way admin, nor is this my decision whatsoever. I simply wrote why I am against Account Sharing.

In the end, this is a community game, why would you need you community when you have your personal buff fest in fm waiting for u. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  15. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    I'll also just add that using the argument that account sharing gives you an advantage because of items, mesos, gach is also technically incorrect. It's not 'cheating the system' to have a friend who has resources on their own account. The advantage here is having a friend.

I have my own account and I have my own stuff. If I have a friend who willingly gives me their mesos, gears, and items that they gached with their own voting, that just means I have a good friend with resources. They don't need to share their account with me in order for me to get all that stuff, they could be logged in and give me all that stuff anyway. So technically no, it's not multi voting. I'm still only voting in my own char yet I benefit as if I got twice the gach. My friend could login in their own account and give me the buffs and leech that I want. My friend could be the one selling bishop leech, make so much bank $$$$ and then give me the money and I will still go and buy fm clean.

The end result for me is exactly the same in both account share and no account share.

Average joe in the corner who is complaining about being disadvantaged because I got access to money or gears or buffs, which I didn't work for, will be in the same position at the end of the day as he was at the start of the day. I didn't work for them but my friend did. My friend put in the effort and time to get a high level character and if he wants to give all his resources to me as a result of his efforts, then that's his choice. It simply means I have a good friend. Technically, there would be no account sharing but I'm still gonna get all those things you listed anyway. Which makes the argument against account sharing for monetary advantages a moot point.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

In the end, it is illegal in most MMORPG's and most importantly, is illegal in MapleLegends. Therefore, anyone who account shares risks getting banned for it. As someone said earlier, no one expected that Vote-ban wave.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If you level twice as fast as your competition, then it not only means you farm mesos faster to outspend them and buy out things they want, but it also means you start bossing sooner and by time they can start farming bosses as well you have a massive advantage over them when it comes to hunting.

Some aspects of game are limited in supply and opportunity, and therefore the stronger your competition is, the less there is for you.

TLDR: don't break the rules.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    9:55 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I'm kinda side of "agree" on account sharing. ofc as julie said, those can give enermous benefit than standard way, but let's see, asking account sharing and getting approval is hard effort also. as fredo said, who may lent his/her bish if asker isn't enough trustworthy? borrowing itself can be treated as borrower's effort for social things. julie said it's abnormal advantage, but to get such advantage, borrower need to do enough effort on lenter. so I don't think getting benefit by account sharing itself isn't unfair.

but also I think this can occur shit dramas like scamming, and maybe to prevent such things, I think it's against ToS. this is matter. anw who decided to share is lenter, and he should deal with such risks (remember, sharing account ID/PW is same thing with copying ur house key). so when shit happened, lenter can't say anything on it cos who allowed to do it is he, not other else.

well, anw it's against ToS and law exists to be observed. so account sharer should get risk of ban. I'm pretty sure staff teams are short of ppls to scan all abusals daily so they didn't banned. but that isn't same thing with account sharing is innocent. my personal opinion is "agree" with sharing, but rule is rule.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  19. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Guys, nobody is saying that account sharing is not illegal. Because it is in the ToS, that makes it illegal. This is a fact and I agree with you about this.

What I said is the end result does not change for someone who benefits from a friend's account; whether there is account sharing or no account sharing.

Account Sharing: Using your friend's bishop to leech your own character for 4 hours. You keep all the mesos.
    vs
    No Account Sharing: Your friend plays their bishop to leech your character for 4 hours. Your friend gives you all the mesos.

End result in both scenarios = Your character gets the same amount of leech over 4 hours. Your advantage was bishop leech.

End result in Mesos in both scenarios = Your character will get all the mesos because you either kept them since you were on the bishop, or your friend gives them to you.

Your advantage over average joe is exactly the same in both scenarios. You will level twice as fast as average joe regardless of the method. You will still outbuy and outspend them regardless of the method. You will get to boss farming level before them regardless of the method. You will be stronger than them, and they will have less than you.

20. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    8:55 PM
    bbokkobbokko It seems like you are saying "why do people care about something that doesn't directly affect their progress?" I don't think that's an unreasonable question, but there is a simple answer.

Even if the end results are the same, I don't really like it. Yeah, it doesn't affect my progress physically, but it does affect my motivation, and I'm sure that can be the same for others. It's more of an emotional reaction to the feeling of "unfairness". Each individual falls on a spectrum when it comes to the perception of fairness. I think it might require a particularly strong moral/ethical code, as well as a strong sense of empathy to understand why some people might be against it, even when they "technically" didn't lose anything. Also, some have a higher or lower tolerance for risk taking.

This crosses territory into social psychology, and it's too hard to teach people how to understand the feelings of others on a forum. It's definitely a gray area, so it makes sense that the rule is there more to protect from the possible negative consequences (scamming/hackings) and less about preventing an advantage.

I do think that if it's not an enforced rule, the rule should be removed so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of account sharing without fear of punishment.

• Like Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.