1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

2h axe - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by CDFA, May 9, 2015.

1. CDFA

CDFA Second Account/Banned

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    4:04 AM
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    Hi everyone, sorry for the unexpected thread. I just wanted to receive your advice on something that I have been confused about ever since my permanent decision to be a true warrior with my character. And it is something I really want to be decisive about, and not change my mind later on.

Well, you see . . . In many guides and people I asked in the past, it seems like they claim that Sword is overall the best choice so far. They say it has more stable damage than axes and that axes are for noobs who cannot afford swords or scrolls for swords, and such. But really, is that the truth? I heard also that axes have higher max damage than swords, so they have their advantages and each advantages, both weapons. I always wanted to be more unique - in every server I played in the past as a warrior I always went with swords only, but this time, I thought to do something different and go with axes all the way. I'm talking about 2h axes by the way, not 1h ones. So now, I want to go with 2h axes but I'm not sure if that will be a good decision to make for my character overall, especially later on in the game. So I was hoping if I can get your advice guys, on this topic, especially from fellow warriors or just players who have knowledge about this topic in general. I heard there are some advantages to axes, but they arent very clear to me, and guides dont always tell me what I want to know and give me the answers I want/need to hear. I really want to go with 2h axes but I want to make sure I wont be making a big mistake doing so. So I'd like to hear what you guys think and I'll consider your words and take your advice, even if it may not be something I 100% agree, I'll still consider it/give it some thought. :)

2. John

John Dark Stone Golem

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    Bocc / ImMrLuckless
    Dark Knight
    Hogwarts
    The damage is more stable with swords thats true. The difference in damage between 2h swords and 2h axes is quite similar, in terms of reason, with the damage between Spears and Pole Arms. Its the action movement of your character. Whether if he swings from above his head or from down below or if he does the stab action. For Swords, all 3 actions would give the same result, for for axes, stabbing action would deal less damage where swinging from above or below your character would do you more damage. Same goes for Spears, more damage when stabbing, pole arm more when swung from air. I'm not sure if this is still the case in the current Maple but it is here as well as the old Maple. Heroes do not have a specific skill that would choose the weapon for you whereas Paladins' Blast giving stabbing action would make swords preferable and DrK's Dragon Crusher with stabbing would make the Spears as end game weapon type.

As for max damage, I'm not entirely sure but Weapon Attack for both types should be pretty much the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can easily make a 2h Axe with much better attack than a 2h sword, but the damage won't be stable. Right now, it's become a tradition to go with sword and this fact is almost forgotten. But it is very tempting to go with axe since axe scrolls are incredibly cheap compared to sword prices.

Hope this info helps you out a little :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    CDFA

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    Thanks, all of this info certainly helps me think about it better and things to consider. I dont look for the highest damage possible, I look to make things more diverse by going with an axe. I just want to know what disadvantages I'll have to face, and think to myself whether I feel it is worth using axes and being unique at the cost of these disadvantages, particularly lower damage. So maybe the question is - "Am I willing to be unique but sacrifice dealing less damage?". Because based on how you describe it, axes are literally weaker and a worse option than swords, or atleast thats the way I understood what you're saying. :)

4. John

John Dark Stone Golem

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    Bocc / ImMrLuckless
    Dark Knight
    Hogwarts
    Well swords would in fact be preferred for you, but if you wanna go unique I'd say why not ? :D You will be one of the only warriors in late game with 2h axe, making it very easy for you to fund yourself and also would be fun to try something different. (I myself like going pure spear as a DrK instead of hybrid for 2nd and 3rd job).. For the damage output, the difference will be much more visible at early levels than it would be during late in game due to your damage range. For example in early levels, you'd be hitting lets say 1.2k~2.2k with swing while dealing 400~800 with stabbing. But the more you progress and get stronger in game the damage range would be higher and the difference won't be visible much . I reckon only you would really realise it so yeah ... why not? :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    CDFA

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    CDFA
    Page
    Dalmascus
    Ok then great. It sounds like if I go 2h axe then the disadvantages arent really that bad at all. And I'll be unique, and the scrolls and weapons will be much cheaper, so there are advantages to using axes too. Thanks mate, Ive made my decision and I'll go with 2h axes. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    10:04 AM
    One really good thing about axes is that everything is cheap, from equipment to scrolls, since no one uses them. If average damage is the same as swords, I would go axe myself too.

7. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    7:04 PM
    NSFW
    On average the dps should be the same, and if there is a difference then it will be really negligible. I think axes would be more fun since you don't know if you'll hit high or low in that particular hit. Instant feedback, big big yeah!!