1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

3.6BILLION+ PRIZE POOL JUMP QUEST EVENT (WOW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by thirdroom, May 27, 2020.

1. thirdroom

thirdroom King Slime

Dec 15, 2018
    Male
    8:10 AM
    Nair
    Paladin
    Tempus
    SEE SECOND POST FOR RANKINGS, DEADLINE JUNE 15TH 22:00:00 SERVER TIME

Hi, I'm Nair aka flub aka The King of Fitness aka Eijislayer69 aka Crayofanboy. I think it's awesome how Maplelegends is innovated at the top level off the backs of people like AlyoshaAlyosha / SelquinSelquin / FishyFishy . Everyone tries to craft broken and degenerate strategies to play as best and efficient as possible in a 2003 mushroom game.

But there has never been a compelling reason to optimize jump quests...until now?

SKIPPABLE LORE
    When I first started in ML, I actually didn't care for jump quests at all until I saw how insanely fast people would complete GM-hosted Fitness events. After that, I put in a lot of effort, had a lot of fun and eventually became one of the best on the server. (maybe not the king)​

When I played on Un*ty's server for a while, I saw that they had jump quest rankings built into the game that would display your completion times. It was a huge amount of fun trying to fight for the #1 spot with a guy named SlimeSlime and it brought out the best in both of us. Every time we thought "there's no way to lower the time any further", the other person would prove that thought wrong. In the end, he won by a margin of just milliseconds. (I quit the game and then the server closed a month later)​

However, that was basically a two-horse race. Now, with ML having 1k+ users at all times, I'd like to rouse the tryhards and see if any of you can push that jump quest even further.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@PRIZES@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    1st Place: 2,147,483,647 mesos
    2nd Place: 1,000,000,000 mesos
    3rd Place: 500,000,000 mesos
    4th/5th (if enough competition + close to 3rd) : 250,000,000 mesos
    PARTICIPATION: 10m mesos if you clear it within 2min30s (subject to change and availability)
    other possible prizes: ~200k Game Cash
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@PRIZES@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

REALLY? YOU QUITTING? WHY SO MUCH FOR A LAME JUMP QUEST?
    1. Yeah.
    2. Nope, I already quit a while ago.
    3. Listen, jump quests are one of the few things in MapleLegends that takes a bit of skill (RIP multiclienting at HT). It's fun to compete and it's fun to see your own improvement. I've got a dumb amount of mesos collecting dust so I decided to come back and host a competition for it and see if it gets hype.​

WHICH JUMP QUEST?

Deep Forest of Patience <1> in Sleepywood. Collect the quest from John in Lith Harbor, go to Sleepywood and click on the Mysterious Statue in the middle. Click the first option and it'll teleport you inside.​

WHY DIDN'T YOU CHOOSE ANOTHER JUMP QUEST?
    It's the best one. No randomness, just pure jumping and mechanics with a surprisingly large amount of tactics you can use to optimize your time.
    WHO CAN ENTER?
    No freshly made or inactive mule accounts. I understand there's probably issues with multiple entries from the same person. If I have any reason to believe you're cheating then I'll contact you and verify through some means.​

HOW CAN I ENTER?

You'll have to take a video of your screen as you do the jump quest from start to finish. Make sure to follow the rules listed below. Use your choice of video capture software. Some free and easy options are:
    • OBS (highly recommended)
    • NVIDIA Shadowplay
    • Fraps
    • Windows 10 native video capture?
    • Streaming it on twitch
    • Your phone
    Upload and send the video link to me through discord @thirdroom#6673 and post a message in this thread for confirmation. You can also ignore discord and just post the video here, but if you want to hide your strategies then I'd recommend discord. (try not to spam me if you keep beating your own records pls)

<READ THIS> FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN YOUR VIDEO <READ THIS>

1. Type @servertime before clicking on the Mysterious Statue.
    maple01.png
    2. Jump all the way to the last platform and DO NOT click the flowers.
    3. Type @servertime when you reach the last platform with the flowers.
    maple02.png

Use Game Capture preferably so that the game isn't displayed too small in your video. Try to record in 60FPS if possible. Keep a backup of your original video.
    <READ THIS> FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN YOUR VIDEO <READ THIS>

This is to ensure fair play with regards to video editing. Your official time will be counted at the moment you touch the last platform, so don't worry about typing fast.

HOW DO I TIME MY RUN PROPERLY?
    Your official run timer will begin at the moment you touch the ground after entering the 1st map of the jump quest. This is to avoid discrepancies with black screen loading times. The end time will be counted at the moment you touch the last platform.​

WHY SHOULD I EVEN TRY? I WON'T WIN I HATE JQS AND I'M BAD AT THEM.
    If you put in a sincere effort, you might start to enjoy them. Let's say you're making 20m per hour selling leech like the mage-abusing degen that we all know you are. Do that for 100 hours and you'll make 2b.

I promise you the first place winner isn't spending 100 hours on this. I probably put in 20 hours in total to achieve my personal best time and I'd be surprised if anyone surpasses me. Worst case scenario, you get 10m, tried something new and have now become decent at jump quests. Best case scenario, you're 2b richer and have bragging rights forever.​

20 HOURS? WHATEVER, THIS IS WAY TOO SWEATY FOR ME.
    Fair point, angry hypothetical text. Peep the results in a month if you're curious.​

TIPS
    Getting hit is good. I recommend taking off your weapon to have a clear view of your feet. Try using a stopwatch app in the background to track your progress.​

DEADLINE

June 15th

NO CHEESING RULE
    You've got to complete the run without "major skips" through the use of CCing or relogging. Any advantages gained through usage of class-specific skills or snowshoes will also result in a DQ. Thanks to SkuireSkuire for bringing these exploits up.

• Like x 13
    • Friendly x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    thirdroom

thirdroom King Slime

Dec 15, 2018
    Male
    Nair
    Paladin
    Tempus
    The event is over and I'm done judging times wooooooooo

Got a lot of positivity and people saying they had fun in the DMs and I'm glad you all enjoyed the event. I haven't seen an event like this in the server before so it was cool to organize for the first time. We hit a huge number of 70 entrants, which I guess I should have expected from the start but this whole thing started on a whim so I was pretty unprepared.

The reason I started this competition was to see just how far you could take this jump quest. In the end, I learned of 2 completely new strategies that blew my mind. They're both subtle and don't save any more than 500ms, but if you compare the times, 500ms is an eternity. Huge success overall.

I'm probably going to post a suggestion thread for in-game jump quest/boss run/party quest rankings like there used to be in Unity, the link to that thread will be here in a bit. https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...boss-expeditions-party-quests-possibly.31799/

With that being said, here's the rankings.

TOP 6-8 FORMAT: [1st frames, 2nd frames, total frames] [1st time, 2nd time, total time]

1 frame = 16.667ms

6. Shines/Vincit [2770, 3739, 6509] [46:166, 1:02:316, 1:48:483]
    7. Lebool [2775, 3738, 6513] [46:250, 1:02:300, 1:48:550]
    8. Luscious [2757, 3757, 6514] [45:950, 1:02:616, 1:48:566]

I said only top 5 would be recognized at the end, but top 8 was hotly contested as well. Just 5 frames separating them! You'll notice Luscious had the perfect 1st step strat but didn't optimize the second stage enough. Lebool had great times and was actually the inspiration for my godrun strategy with the way he jumped into a green orb to reduce knockback. Lastly, Shines and Shakey actually figured out the godrun strategy on the final day of the deadline but Shines didn't have enough time to convert it into a run. I'm going to be stretching the rewards range to top 8 because they deserve it.

5TH PLACE
    On the second to last day, Krapp submitted his final entry and secured the 5th spot. There was a lot of competition for this spot, but Krapp's execution was better and allowed him to beat out everyone else. He held a strong rank since the very beginning, starting at ~1:52 and slowly improved over the course of the event, which impressed me with his dedication. But despite being aware of the optimal first step strategy, it proved to be too difficult for him (and almost everyone below him) to achieve in time for the deadline. Rank 5 can be seen as the cutoff between the great times and the godly.
    krapp5th.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEq_LEhmuHE
    Krapp [2767, 3737, 6504] [46:116, 1:02:616, 1:48:400]
    4TH
    The first person to crack the code and send me a video of my cryptic godrun strategy. FanTongBae submitted videos from the very start and kept improving all the way to the end. Unfortunately, it's a shame that OBS freezing issues killed many of his attempts, making it almost impossible for him to complete a clean run. But I'm super impressed with his dedication to the event and the innovation that he contributed. Despite being in 4th place, he may have been the hardest worker out of everyone and I'll definitely take that into consideration regarding the reward!
    FanTongBae_4th.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L490pT-hFZk&feature=youtu.be I knew the godrun was coming right when I heard the naruto music
    FanTongBae/Hanwoo [2768, 3720, 6488] [46:133, 1:02:000, 1:48:133]

3RD
    One half of an extremely dedicated duo who refined their strategy to the absolute limits. He realized early on about the importance of "perfect pivots" when changing directions and found out the extremely difficult+optimal Step 1 strategy through brute force. Not only that, but he logically deduced the important areas where it was possible to save the most time in the common step 2 strategy and put all the focus into his execution. I'll admit that there's no way I would've been able to compete with his perfection if I didn't have a different strategy! To cap it off, he had great music in all of his videos and it was always a pleasure to watch a new submission.
    3rd.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWBWVfZiLM
    Perpetual [2755, 3726, 6481] [45:916, 1:02:100, 1:48:016]
    2ND
    Anything I said about Perpetual, I could say about henrys. They worked together and grinded their strategy to the absolute limits, often improving by just a single frame each new submission. On a mechanical level, henrys was simply the most perfect out of any entrant. He'd tell me exactly how many frames his new submission improved upon his previous entry, which speaks to his level of precision. In every video, he touched the ground in 1st Step on the 514th frame, making it easy for me to compare each new run (I appreciated that). The only caveat that I could possibly have for either henrys or Perpetual is that they didn't have enough faith.
    2nd.PNG
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-st5EwSqAw
    henrys [2756, 3724, 6480] [45:933, 1:02:066, 1:48:000]
    1ST
    The official Cutter of Corners, the man who's name is on your Ring of Passion, and probably the friendliest person you'll ever meet -- your champion is none other than Slime.

Slime is half-responsible for this event even existing at all. Super old school MapleLegends players will remember Slime for his skill in Fitness and jump quests in general. The very reason we met in Unity was because the developers included a jump quest ranking board inside the game where you could compare your times to the top 10. He had the #1 spot in every single jump quest, so I said fuck this guy, I'm going to take just one #1 spot from him in Sleepywood.

Nope, I lost. After MapleUnity closed I had lingering regrets because I would never find out how much more we could have improved our times. Of course, that brings us to the results of today's competition.

The funny thing is that I had no contact with Slime ever since Unity stopped, and it was by complete chance that he checked the forums halfway through the ~2 week duration of this event. After seeing some of the top runs that were submitted to me, I was honestly worried that he might not be able to perform to my expectations. And just like that, within a day, Slime figured out the perfect Step 1 strategy and took the second place rank. Not only that, but I heard that he befriended basically the entire top 10 and shared strategies with all of them. What a guy.

This run features the completely optimized Step 1 strategy AND the fabled "godrun" that I mentioned somewhere in this thread. Slime, along with FanTongBae, were the two devoted entrants who figured out the godrun strategy after a ton of effort and actually managed to complete runs with it. But only Slime was able to convert a perfect Step 1 into a godrun Step 2 and catch it on video, which is simply insane. Check out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9yoqPIViw&feature=youtu.be
    <<<<<DISCLAIMER READ THIS>>>>>

If you watch the video, you'll notice that there are multiple spots where the playback has frame drops and a black box that covers the map. Of course, you can assume the worst and say that the video is spliced together with separate runs, so I'll say that I'm 100% confident this was a legitimate run. Take these points for thought:

1. Transparency of the chat logs shows the background of the stage, which is constantly moving along with your character. In order to splice a run, you'd have to exactly match the background of your cheated run along with the background of the chat, meaning that the original run with the chat would be on pace with the spliced video. So not only would this be extremely difficult, there would be practically no point in doing it.
    2. The time period in which the video was disclosed to me was right after his run ended, meaning he would have had to edit the video perfectly at lightspeed.
    3. @servertime command checks out with the duration.
    4. The black box was supposed to be his livesplit timer, which was was seen in his previous submissions. An OBS issue caused it to show up as a black box.
    5. HP/MP values are consistent throughout whole run.
    6. Ball timings are consistent throughout the whole run, to the exact frame.
    7. Slime himself didn't want this run to count after he saw the frame drops because he thought there might be controversy. He only wanted to show me that a perfect run was achieved.
    8. If none of these things convince you, just take it from me that there's no way Slime would cheat in this competition. Anyone who's spoken to him for 2 minutes would tell you the same.
    slime1st.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9yoqPIViw&feature=youtu.be
    Slime [2756, 3695, 6451] [45:933, 1:01:583, 1:47:516]

The lag spike at the last jump was fortunate in a way because it happened after he jumped. I took the first frame of the jump(which I checked was far enough to make it to the last platform) and then I added 24 frames because that's the exact amount you need to make it to the last platform. Regardless of if I did this or not, Slime's time would have won anyway by 16 frames.

IF YOU'RE STILL NOT CONVINCED, here's Slime's next best entry that would have won anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90AY_Z8tQI&feature=youtu.be
    Slime3 [2772, 3705, 6477] [46.200, 1:01.750, 1:47:950]

0TH PLACE?
    A bunch of you have been curious about my time. I took second place overall with a pretty average 1st step and a godrun 2nd step. On the first day of the event, I had a 1:48:540 which would have taken 7th place today. Sure, it would've been cool to be the real #1 after the event was over, but then what would've been the point of spending all this money? I got 70 of you chumps to work out the best time for me. SlimeCool

But here's a video just to prove that I did it. schmoney used to be my meso up mule, please thank her for providing the rewards for the event.

https://streamable.com/wf2mvs
    Nair/schmoney [2778, 3699, 6477] [46:300, 61:650, 1:47:950]

OVERALL RANKINGS (time in bold have load times removed, doesn't affect ranking placements)
    1. Slime SlimeAngel 1:47:516 / 1:47:950
    2. henrys 1:48:000
    3. Perpetual 1:48:016
    4. FanTongBae/Hanwoo 1:48:133
    5. Krapp/Nirgal 1:48:400
    6. Shines/Vincit 1:48:483
    7. Lebool 1:48:550
    8. Luscious 1:48:566
    9. iSleep 1:48:816
    10. Shakey 1:48:860
    11. Legoshi 1:48:872
    12. Wigglytuff 1:48:898
    13. Skucci 1:49:170
    14. Awrien 1:49:313
    15. vveed 1:49:370
    16. Abhor 1:49:451
    17. wMarchie 1:49:970
    18. Tanetee 1:50:194
    19. Luna 1:50:251
    20. Gobuki 1:51:120
    21. Jejudo/Geguri 1:51:990
    22. Lustrial 1:52:200
    23. xB0wM4sT3rx 1:52:340
    24. Zabriel 1:53:090
    25. Anjing 1:53:131
    26. Chaeha 1:53:380
    27. miLes 1:53:850
    28. Xipharias 1:54:900
    29. bummieshs 1:55:500
    30. Aepex 1:55:900
    31. franzLiszt 1:56:000
    32. WCB8 1:56:200
    33. buttcheek 1:56:300
    34. Qwaz 1:56:380
    35. Eiji with 1:56:400
    36. SlaveofTheMU 1:56:500
    37. SquidPheel 1:57:000
    38. CharSiu 1:57:150
    39. Demun 1:57:500
    40. dedu 1:58:500
    41. pwndpwnd 1:59:200
    42. Alien 1:59:500
    43. LucyKaede 1:59:900
    44. IceRaine 2:01:000
    45. Sheathe 2:02:750
    46. Loudski 2:03:300
    47. UGABUGA 2:03:710
    48. bliuberries 2:08:500
    49. sei8por 2:08:750
    50. Arcs 2:08:800
    51. Lithe 2:09:300
    52. Svveep 2:09:500
    53. xGridx 2:10:000
    54. Eighty 2:10:500
    55. kreyge 2:12:000
    56. adnychen 2:12:500
    57. bodangles 2:13:000
    58. KENT1 2:14:000
    59. CreatureNL 2:14:800
    60. Chris22x 2:15:000
    61. CaptainLoop 2:17:000
    62. DatDK 2:17:100
    63. Xeric 2:17:500
    64. Supaduck 2:17:750
    65. Ridder 2:22:000
    66. zxcFaker 2:22:500
    67. Clow 2:24:750
    68. Zashiki 2:25:000
    69. Postcard 2:25:750
    70. Softnyx 2:29:000

REWARD PAYOUTS:
    2.147b to Slime
    1b to henrys
    500m to Perpetual
    250m to FangTongBae
    250m to Krapp
    100m each to Shines, Lebool and Luscious
    10m to each of the rest of you who entered
    TOTAL: ~5b
    Payouts have been sent through Duey!

About a week into the event, I received an anonymous tip that many people were cheating by using macros. Because this jump quest has no randomness involved, you can theoretically record a macro of yourself performing each stage perfectly and then use it to record a run. I have no idea if people were actually doing this, but it was part of the reason why I cut the event short and put stricter rules on video submissions. I guess you could say that I was asking for it because of the large prize pool. But do I think that any of the top 5 used macros? Not at all. So if you cheated and you're reading this, get shit on idiot

ANNOUCNING HENENSYS PET PARK JUMP QUEST 5B IN PRIZES DEADLINE 7/15
    Not really. Probably only if I find a jump quest that's suitable and/or legends staff implements the in-game timers.

• Great Work Great Work x 6
  3. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    7:10 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Hey Nair u legend wb!

yall going down.
    OnionF3

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    6:10 AM
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    Yeah I'm definitely going to try this. Slime is a legend though, I don't remember anybody touching his times on that server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  6. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    i'll enter ray, if only to make sure you don't look lonely

JK THIS WILL BE FUN, FOREST OF PATIENCE WAS MY NEMESIS IN GMS; maybe now i'll conquer it!!! ty for making this event, i'm looking forward to seeing who is the fastest hopper around these parts

• Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    I beat his Fitness + Ellinia Forest Patience 1 , but not the other ones sadly

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Confirm entering~ Good Luck Everyone :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    9:10 AM
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    Sounds like fun! I'll be entering :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    pepehands Ray come back to us

+1 entry

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aerika

Aerika Slime

Dec 19, 2017
    Female
    Bamukuhen
    Bowmaster
    Nair! Miss seeing you around :) Nowhere near as good as the top jumpers on this server, but echung379echung379 (Eugene) and I will be entering! :geek: Thanks for hosting this event :yay:

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    Oooo... a speedrun event! I like it! There should be more speedruns on varies parts of the game as well!

13. Equalizer

Equalizer Slime

Sep 22, 2017
    Male
    2:10 PM
    Equalizer
    Dragon Knight
    This sounds awesome, count me in.

14. Xipharias

Xipharias Red Snail

May 1, 2020
    Male
    Xipharias
    Spearman
    Love this idea! If this competition gets popular, maybe we can look into starting jump quest leaderboards.

Thoughts on posting weekly time rankings or a single 2-week update for this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sweep

Sweep Blue Snail

May 15, 2020
    Male
    12:10 AM
    Svveep
    Cleric, Bishop
    This does sound fun! I just did the speed run and will DM you my video link. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    i've only ever finished fitness twice but i'll do my best... LMFAO

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    thirdroom

thirdroom King Slime

Dec 15, 2018
    Male
    Nair
    Paladin
    Tempus
    Thanks for the positive feedback and o/ to the oldheads, good times

Of course, once I collect a few more submissions (already 3 so far) I'll post the rankings in the second post of the thread. The top 3 will probably be updated daily and I'll keep a list of participation winners.

18. sianister

sianister Red Snail

May 4, 2018
    9:10 PM
    Nice. submitted too thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Equalizer

Equalizer Slime

Sep 22, 2017
    Male
    2:10 PM
    Equalizer
    Dragon Knight
    Thirdroom, what was your best time? Would like some reference so that I know what a good, really good, and godly time is :p

20. Crayo

Crayo Chronos

Oct 26, 2018
    Male
    9:10 AM
    u wot

I don't need a reward and I'm too lazy to make a recording but I'll just say that I did try this out and got a 2:20 in like 3-4 attempts. I can see some areas where there can be obvious time saves but since I beat the participation target time I'm satisfied lol. Also Eiji will probably win anyway.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1