1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

3x Quest EXP

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Bobbykimchee, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    4:32 PM
    Quest always seem to be a bit neglected due to the much lazier and efficient nature of grinding. In my opinion, quests are a really big part of mmos, and maplestory did not really do a great job of highlighting quests. I think making quests (not pqs) give 3x exp will give players a chance to play by themselves without having to resort to mindless grinding. But thats just my two cents.
    What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karma

Karma Slime

Jan 12, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    12:32 PM
    Quest XP directly corresponds to the XP rate right now if that's what you're trying to say. Or do you mean you want quest XP to be 3x (2x * 3x = 6x) on top of the current XP rate? Or are you suggesting the XP rate to be independent of the XP rate at 3x instead of what would be 2x in the post-release server?

• Like Like x 1
  3. LaLeY

LaLeY Mano

Feb 5, 2015
    Male
    10:32 PM
    I think the quest exp rate is independent of the actual exp rate (or at least I believe it is because of other servers rates)
    I really like this proposal, as you said this will encourage people to do something else but grinding ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Quite sure they're suggesting the quest exp reward rate to be 3x and grinding to be 2x.

As a quest whore, I somewhat support it but I've yet to see how that affects a server. So I wouldn't know if it's actually a good idea. I do agree that quests are severely neglected though. Need some kind of reason to do them more often. I also think that if quests would be a higher exp rate then PQ's should be too though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    I think quests are mainly meant to get items. The way I see it, you gain XP from killing the mobs for the quests, and then get an item and a little bonus XP as a reward. I don't think it's really meant as a way to level up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    I meant independently 3x. Well, by raising quest exp, it will give players more incentive to invest time into these quests. The result of this would be a surge in the economy. In private servers with fewer amounts of people, the economy tends to go stagnant over time because there arent many items high in demand. With people given an incentive for doing quests, more items will be wanted to complete the quests, which will ultimately stimulate the economy. Plus, it will add a dimension to the game that had barely existed before :) I dont meant to sound like an asshat, just giving my thoughts!

7. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Currently, quest EXP outside of Maple Island should already be 2x, since it is based off the global EXP rate. The only reason I would hesitate to increase it too much is because there are certain quests in GMS that gave a lot of EXP already on 1x, and raising it too much would make leveling too easy.

EDIT:
    Well, right now it is 20x (since that's the global EXP rate for Open Beta), but you get my point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    I just thought 3x was a nice number between the standard 2x and 4x. I see your point though, there are a lot of quests that give pretty decent exp. But I think that 3x wouldnt be too game-breaking. Maybe we could perhaps give it a shot in open beta? That way, more people would do quests and hopefully uncover any current bugs or glitches with the quests/drops, encourage players to venture into maps less travelled and potentially uncover further bugs, all while testing out the quest rates. Thanks for replying, btw!

9. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    10:32 AM
    This, and that people could buy some quest items and complete quests for easy instant xp.

There are still a few people who like doing quests despite its poor rewards. Do we need to buff quests and make everyone (or more people at least) do them? I don't know. I see them as optional side content. Most quests usually gets you to kill x mobs and/or collext x stuff, not that different from grinding anyway.

The real kind of quests I like to do are RuneScape quests, which are far from your daily grinding stuff that are actually interesting and fun to complete. Sadly most if not all MMOs don't have this feature.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Instant exp? Yes that is true. But buying them is another story. The fact that you would have to actually make money to purchase these items.. the money would have to be generated from somewhere.

Although some quests may seem like grinding, grinding is far more superior in terms of exp/hour. Quests make you farm items in rather odd places, wander around and poke boxes till you get the desired item, and is usually very tedious. Yes some quests require killing monsters, but a lot dont. And most of the times, the exp compensation falls extremely short.

Increasing the quest exp to 3x not only stimulates the economy, but in my opinion, it brings people together. It makes people mingle. Back before OP training spots, people would spend time in kerning to buy ores and whatnot, hunt for glass shoes, buy tablecloths and slime bubbles, and etc. That was the old maple that a lot of people miss. It was ultimately destroyed due to power-levelling and non-interaction between players.

Tl;dr: Increase the quest exp rates to 3x, not mainly because of the lack of quest exp, but the other intangibles it may bring, such as comradarie, a steady flow of economy, and... something to do other than grinding :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Berry

Berry King Slime

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    I support this. Not really much incentive to do quests if quest exp rate is same as mob exp rate. Boosting quest exp to 3x with mob exp being 2x would make quests be more beneficial and make the game less grindstory.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bulba

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    I have to agree with you that OP training spots (looking at GS and BF/HH) are a bad addition to the game. They remove the variety and flexibility of grinding options and everyone pretty much follows a standard route.

• Like Like x 3
  13. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    7:32 PM
    NSFW
    the economy was fine when quests and grinding gave 1x exp in gms
    it's already easy to get money at gs2
    nobody played quests with friends because quests were fun, they played with friends because they liked their friends
    there is literally no way this can stimulate the economy
    people mingle already, i don't know where your idea of this not being a social game in v.62 came from
    if quests were 3x people wouldn't do them more, they would just play the ones that already give good exp.

sorry, i don't see how any good could come from this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    The sad truth is that Legends is nowhere near the population of GMS, and it will never be. In fact, most low rate private servers will never reach that population. I dont know if you had ever stayed in a low populated low exp private server long enough to see the effects, but I experienced it first hand. When people hit a certain level, it just becomes a grindfest. They make so much money, yet nothing to spend it on. Sure theres gach, but everyone has access to gach. Just like in life, the economy collapses when people are unwilling to spend money.

I keep hearing about these quests that give good exp as if it were game-breaking. I would like to know what quests you are exactly talking about, if thats okay. I dont recall any quests from v62 that specifically caught my attention and had become a staple of my routine solely because of the exp.

What I dont see is, what bad can it come from experimenting with it in an open beta server? Its gonna be wiped anyways, so if its a failed experiment, then the quest exp is just reverted afterwards. Worried about OP levelling through quests? Isnt that what open beta is for? To test out even the darkest, dustiest corners of the games to figure out any possible glitches? From what Ive seen, most people had just gone to FOG, gobies, gs2, etc. Not much variety there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Goofy

Goofy Mushmom

Jan 13, 2015
    SoCal
    Even at 3x, they wouldn't be worth doing.

If you took two players--one grinding from level 10 and one only doing quests--the quest rate would need to be ~7x for them to reach 120 at the same time.

16. Bulba

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    I think he doesn't mean them to be as good exp as grinding, just more motivation to do quests?

Though personally 3x Quest Exp won't change anything for me. I'll still do quest if I feel like it, get bored of grinding, or for the item rewards etc.

17. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    i agree with you here
    i can piss out of my tits as much as i like about it being a bad idea but the truth is we have no way of knowing until we actually test it.
    but i stand by what i said, it does seem like a bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    It can very well be the worst idea ever. Its just a suggestion to what I think may better the server. Ive seen way too many servers go down because of low population due to lack of content. But yeah, thanks for your input :)

19. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    But yeah thats true. I just think 4x might be a little to much so I just decided to pitch 3x. But you guys know what Im trying to get at.

20. Maddy

Maddy Slime

Dec 23, 2014
    12:32 PM
    If the main purpose of this suggestion is to encourage more players to complete quests, I don't think raising the quest EXP to 3x will help much. @NSFW@NSFW has already mentioned this, but most players just want the EXP reward at the end, so they'd obviously pick the quests well worth their time and effort (e.g. Strange Dish, Eliminate Golems/blahblah/blahblah). Of course there's some quest-exclusive rewards at the end that I know some people love (i.e. Pig Illustrated, Chief Stan's Hat and whatnot, but most of these items are eventually surpassed by drops from end-game bosses, etc...), but sadly, that's only a minority of the population that'll go out of their way to grab those kind of items (and for only aesthetic purposes, might I add).

If you're solely talking about the population wanting or being encouraged to do more quests, it'd probably be best (maybe not the best, but I can't think of anything else at the moment) to implement "# of quests completed so far" within some system like...http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/achievement-system.2136/
    It's pretty common with MMORPGs in that once you complete 25/50/.../... quests, you get a neat little reward or something. This way, more people will be enticed to complete quests and explore more of the world.

I think I've gone on a bit of a tangent, and I've probably over-thought this. OnionRay

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.