1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A few suggestions to revive the DrK's class

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by hoangrex99, Jan 23, 2019.

1. hoangrex99

hoangrex99 Blue Snail

Jul 30, 2017
    6:09 AM
    MsFortune
    Dark Knight, Dragon Knight
    Honor
    The great Dark Knight once look me in the eyes and said:
    "Either die/make a hero.. or live long enough to see yourself become an HB mule"​
    and for good reasons:
    1. The most (and maybe the only) useful 4th job that we have is Berserk, which renders 50% of our HP useless. Therefore, HP washing is not optional for DrK's. About 187 washes is need to get to 18,750 HP so it's not easy either.
    2. Berserk is our only source of damage and that's only comparable to other warrior classes if we could keep it up 100% of the time. There's a few problems with that. With the release of more endgame contents like Castellan Toads and Neo Tokyo, it is almost impossible to maintain berserk. NL's and BM's could theoretically do these boss runs with enough fund and patience. DrK's are forever limited by the 15,000 HP ceiling.
    3. Even when we have to operate at 50% HP, DrK's don't have power guard that reduced 40% of incoming physical damage unlike the other 2 warrior classes. Our only 4th job attack and defensive buffs from Hex are the Beholder is utterly useless because this skill negates attack potion effects.
    4. What bothers me most is that Hyper Body is a skill that benefit all members of the boss run. Yet, during boss runs we either have stand on an island to do damage or relegate to being an HB mule because bishops and other classes are unwilling to get a little more dps at the expense of healing.
    I have a few suggestions that could make Dark Knights a viable and fun class again.
    1. Increase the HP limit to activate berserk to 75%. I strongly believe this change would not make DrK's overpowered by any means. We would not dish out any more dps than we have had before. It would just gives us options to contribute more to late-game contents than just being an HB mules.
    2. A defensive buff to Hex of Beholder and DrK's Achilles would be greatly compensate for what we lack in power guard. This would make Hex slightly more useful in helping to maintain berserk. Shadower's shadow shifter is 10% better than NL's because they are a meelee class so I think a similar argument can be made for Dark Knight's achilles.
    Dark Knights has always been my favorite class ever since I started playing this game so I don't want to see them slowly becoming HB and sed mules. I hope some of you also share the same sentiments. Please feel free to discuss whether they would be appropriate.

Thanks,
    ~MsFortune

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:09 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    if 4. is a real issue, you should find better people to boss with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Wiwixu

Wiwixu Red Snail

Nov 20, 2018
    Male
    5:09 AM
    Wiwixu
    Dark Knight
    Tempus
    I'm totally agree with this, comparing a DrK with other Hero or Paly in a @dpm the Hero will have every time more damage and it couting that the DrK is allways using berserk, but in real life in boss is hard to maintain the 100% of time with berserk activated.

And with new bosses is imposible be an full attacker using berserk, so hitting with the 50% of damage for more goodly equipament that you can, you will be a HB mule, only can use the 100% of you potencial when smoke.

I have seen DrK high level (180-200) diying in HT, it is hard because a second of lag can define if you alive or dead wile other clas is no to easy dead in a second of lag.

I'm agree with the suggestion of the HP limit to activate, or ajust the achiles only for Drk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    i dont see an issue with DK right now, except for Hex of the beholder overlapping atk pots.
    50% zerk isnt that bad tbh, you just have to pay attention. you can do ALL of these bosses and zerk and not die. the only boss to zerk is Toad Boss, but everything else is not that hard to zerk.
    - the reason why i die in HT, is because i type too much and troll, i dont die because of zerking, because you learn how to zerk after awhile and know your hp threshhold.
    -75% is waaaaay to much, (GMS only had it at 60% zerking activation)
    -once you find you comfortable zerking areas, it should be okay.
    I'm a DK, and our DPM is pretty high, dont cut yourself short.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Few things I'd like to see changed for drks:

1. Better HP potions/more variety. Currently we are spending 4-5k per cheese or milk vs other classes that are spending 2.8k for honsters that heal 60%. Completely unbalanced imo and makes no sense.
    2. Buff hex of beholder to provide something useful defensively (maybe a power guard affect to help with zerking??) and to allow it to stack with attack pots.
    3. This might be too crazy but maybe make it impossible to get healed while you're in zerk range? I know beholder was changed to not heal over the zerk limit so maybe heal can just not heal you when you're zerking? I don't really have a problem with zerking currently but I will say it can be very tilting to keep getting healed...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    -Aura holder heals up to 14950 HP, so you will always be under zerk threshhold
    as for getting healed, thats something we cant control, since its Bishop's job to heal. we just have to either move to the other side, or the bishops dont heal near us.
    -Hex beholder change to 26atk? since concentrate/enrages gives them 26atk buff, if not then lvl 20 hex would be most optimal. my hex is level 25, so i cant use apples during beholder, but it is nice to get +15atk and not carry ciders/pills. I will be changing my Hex from lvl 25--> 20 soon, just so i can get aura the beholder healing while im on apple. The extra 20 wepdef/mdef/ 5 acc 20 avoid helps, but i think hex20 is good to keep as is.
    -For pots, melting cheese is pretty expensive, but thats how it was years ago. (NLC wasnt a thing), I use about 600 melting cheese every run, and that can be pricey if no books drops. not much we can do tbh.
    -Zerking under 50% isnt too bad, cuz we gain ALOT of dmg with high risk (which makes this class fun/unique)
    - it would be nice to have cheese/milks cheaper doe :3

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    One simple thing that would make things nice is adding Triangular Sushi to the potion shop at Ninja Castle. It heals 20% HP/MP and currently only drops from Ninto. I'd buy thousands of them if they were priced around 1200-1500 mesos each.

https://lib.maplelegends.com/?p=use&id=2022007

75% zerk seems a little too high, but I can see increasing it to 60% as a decent buff. An 18k zerk pool for messing around in would be pretty nice. 15k feels bad when there are so many NL's and BM's who actually have more usable HP than you after you buff them with HB. It would also mean you can train using ginseng roots as there aren't really any mobs that hit for 6k and takes some of the thought out of it. 18k would sort of streamline the potting process for bossing by making the range you feel safe at into a larger range of hitpoints. Say that before a buff you'd feel safe between 12k-15k HP in order to survive 2 hits from HT's heads, it takes a small amount of thought to get you into that range and using a couple different potions to get you there depending on where you start from. But with 60% zerk you'd feel safe between 12k-18k hp, and you can get rid of some of the more tedious thought that goes into healing because 1-3 cheese(Or 1-2 triangular sushi(plz)) will get you within that range no matter what.

A buff to 60% would just make things less tedious. If you enjoy the tedium though, more power to you I guess, you picked the right class. For someone looking for something more casual and less intensive, the Dark Knight currently isn't a great pick if you want to create a bosser.

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    DK has a ton of utility and is one of the main support classes because of HB. I believe Zerking was added to make DK useful in cases where HB is not necessary, not to make DK a DPS class on par with Hero or Paladin.

9. OP
    OP
    hoangrex99

hoangrex99 Blue Snail

Jul 30, 2017
    MsFortune
    Dark Knight, Dragon Knight
    Honor
    I think what you are saying only further proves that DK are nothing more than HB mules. Why not just blood-washed DK to 120 and take it everywhere you go? Why bother spending billions on gears and hundreds of thousands of NX washing? It's a struggle getting to 4th job then you come to realize that people only think you are useful for pressing 1 button from your second job skill. I'm not implying that DK should be as powerful as heroes, it would just be great if investing into this class doesn't feel as pointless so people don't quit after getting to 4th and all go make heroes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    but we are as powerful as heroes. most ppl get discouraged and quit and make heroes, cuz they have to pay attention for once when zerking. DKs are pretty strong and pretty reliable. everyone loves having a DK in their party tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Drks are not just HB mules. Yes, in 1v1 against heros (and maybe pallys) you lose DPS wise, but the moment you add in sharp eyes and speed infusion Drks become very strong and comparible to heros.

Yes, hp washing is required for Drks, but the setup for your hp washing is so small in cost. You only need like 40 int total from gear, and don't need to add any base int. Compare that to other classes where hp washing is mandatory like Nightlords or archers. They often need to add base int because they can't reasonably get enough from gears.

That being said, you do need to be able to zerk to be useful, so I would support increasing the % hp threshold from 50% to 60%. Drks should be able to zerk at all bosses, assuming they've HP washed to 30k.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    you can zerk in all bosses :^D , its just hard to during Toad. but it is 100% possible cuz ive done it. but it is harder

13. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Then i guess its okay to leave it at 50% for now, but in the future if something like Pink bean is released, I do think that either its damage should be lowered or zerk % should be increased so that its at least possible. I'm pretty sure that with 50% you cannot zerk at pink bean.

14. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    I've tried requesting 60% zerk. and apparently, its too "easy" its not enough risk for the dmg given i guess.
    50% is cool, but if 60% ever comes, thatd motivated alot more DKs to play and continue. im up fro that

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    What would be cool would be a different damage output from zerk.

Say if you're at 50% hp you can zerk with 200% damage.
    60% hp would let you zerk for say 160% damage
    And 70% would let you zerk 120% damage.

Not sure if possible.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    That would be awesome.

17. Xelph

Xelph Blue Snail

Aug 27, 2017
    6:09 PM
    Xelph
    Dark Knight
    If I may, I would like to reference Nise's warrior damage calculator. Even at first glance of the maximum DPM comparison, it's clear to see the difference in dpm. Furthermore, it's not realistically possible to maintain serk 100% of the time (you could be close but it's not all the time).
    Of course, we can take into account that Drk has the ability to hit multiple targets. In certain areas of HT, and definitely at the arms of Zak, drks are more than capable of dishing out a large chunk of damage. However, I feel this multiple target is not exactly limited to drks only, with heroes being able to cleave up to 3 targets with Brandish (with stews and apples as such, enrage need not be used) and pallies with HH. So, I wouldn't say that drks are weak. However, for the amount of work they require (maintaining serk HP without any damage reduction as such) they don't really contribute largely to the fights except by occasionally pressing the HB button.

(I am assuming the response is implying to go bossing with people who don't need HB).
    Going off with this response, there is no reason I should really continue playing a drk since I can easily create a different warrior class and dish out more damage while having waaay less work.

I personally abandoned my drk pretty early on. I created him in mind that HB was a party orientated skill which could assist the party, but I still wanted to play an attacker (aaand I do not have 30k hp). However, the amount of work required does not really reflect the results, I don't really enjoy putting in so much effort only to have nothing much to show as compared to other classes (who may or may not have it easier) and I definitely don't enjoy not contributing much if I can't serk to dish out damage.

I think if a change is to be made, it would either be making it easier (or POSSIBLE) to serk or to make serking more rewarding.

Sorry for that long comment, thanks for your time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    No, the response is implying to go boss with people who are not scrooges and are willing to use their own potions. Also, in my opinion, any bishop worth their salt should be casting genesis or angel ray, NOT healing.

Also, as FishyFishy has pointed out, it is currently possible to zerk on every boss in maple legends. It's on the Drk to learn how to play their class and get good enough for it. I can't comment on damage, as I don't actually have a Drk on this server.

But, Fishy says that they have very good damage, and as he is a level 200 Drk, I think he's saying that from experience.

But yes, I definetely agree with your choice to abandon your Drk if you didnt wash to have 30k HP potential. I think 30k hp is a must for Drks.

19. Fishy

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    I didnt wash from the start, because i wasnt informed. I got 30k hp AFTER hb, at lvl 177, cuz i blood washed, and didnt have the nx to finish. so that was my fault, but i eventually reached 30k. (zerk gives us a huge dmg boost, even blood washing, our dmg was still good)

• Like Like x 1
  20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:09 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Why not bring archmages then? The DPM for Angel Ray isn't that great to begin with anyways. Also a lot of the times autopot fails while spamming so heal is a good back up - especially to those who need to double pot.