1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A little nostalgia and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireMushroom, Jul 30, 2019.

1. FireMushroom

FireMushroom Horny Mushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    5:23 AM
    Long ago, Maplestory used to be different. It was similar to a fad, some might say but also a big deal, is the best way I can describe what the game represented in the past. Not necessarily in terms of gameplay since even in the beginning, Maplestory could be called time consuming. More like what I refer to is how Maplestory itself seemed to be less controversial to talk about and more about the "fun" of the game. Thinking of current events, I have some questions for anyone who could be interested.

1) If Neckson copied what Blizzard intends to do with Classic WOW, how would you feel about that? (happy, sad or indifferent?)

2) For those of you who were around back then do you think Maplestory as a whole (Private servers and officials) was better in the past or is the game better now? (today for example, players have the option of the new or old game but there are some real divisions which had not existed before)

3) Personally, what is your favorite part of Maplestory?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    1. Meh, it would be a huge news for all the people in old school private servers, but seeing how Neckson manages balancing, abuses, events, etc. I'm honestly happy where I am. If there will be a huge difference in population, maybe I'd join in for the sake of seeing 16 channels full and having to click rapidly to join KPQ. Mmmm.

2. If you mean old school vs. modern MS, i think they are two completely different games. Can't compare apples to oranges.

3. Huge adrenaline rush when you advance & community, and some quests

3. cruddas

cruddas Mano

Apr 27, 2015
    Male
    gravator
    Fighter
    Some systems were pretty nice, but they changed only because of plans to put in ways to overpower your character and the old ideas they started as just did not provide enough of a stat boost for it, silent crusade was changed, the maker skill was changed or removed entirely, monster book had some changes, all sorts of extra slots for medals, badges, potential, bonus potential and more were added, and the worst is the constant push to help players level even faster than the year before, why add content when players blow right past 90% of it just to "go bossing with friends and guildmates" anyways? on the old southperry forums someone legit posted "the game doesn't start until 180."

Nowdays? With the right gear, leeching and burning characters a person can level to 200 in a single week.

4. LeeDragon

LeeDragon Orange Mushroom

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    5:23 PM
    LeeDragon
    Dark Knight
    1) This I dont know since I didnt play the classic WOW game.

2)This one is very hard to compare since they are very different. If you mean which they I like I mostly choose the old school MS.

3) Chatting with friend and guild, collecting item , questing (not jump quest, I bad on jump quest),grinding, and maplestory music

5. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    1. Dunno what happened in WoW never played
    2. There's pros and cons to both, I enjoyed both
    GMS:
    - The unexpected releases were exciting, not knowing what would come next
    - Watching video releases of 3rd job leaks, then seeing 4th jobs was a big motivator
    Legends:
    - Don't have to spend money on mushroom game anymore
    - Actually knowing what to do in the game, easier time with 2X while still maintaining it's challenge
    3. Merchanting, meeting friends and then crossing paths IRL (Met both in legends and GMS)

6. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    2:23 AM
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    1. I don't know much about what's going on with this, but I'm vaguely worried about what would happen to the old school private server community if Neckson decided they wanted to make their own official version. Would they force them to be taken down like that fiasco that happened a few years ago with that private WoW server, or would they leave us be? I'd like to hope that it would be the latter since they haven't bothered any of the private servers thus far.

2. Comparing the true old school Maple to the old school private servers, they definitely both have their own pros, but they feel like two different games almost. Like Hyoon said, it was really fun to never know what was coming next or when, and watching the game evolve. It was also really nice to have a lot of people around. But I really like the small community here and that we can actually communicate with the staff and grow the game together. It feels very quiet at times and I have less interactions, but the interactions I do have always feel more meaningful SlimeBlush Also the original really was a grind, and the 2x here feels just right to me, and it's also nice having more money in my wallet loool..

3. The exploration and the music for sure!! The world is really big and diverse and just fun to roam around in. Even now I still find new places or hidden streets I didn't realize existed (I just finished the Magatia questline for the first time and it blew my mind hahaha). And of course the friends you meet along the way (it's more fun to explore/grow together! :heartbeat:).

7. Krauser94

Krauser94 Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    11:23 AM
    Krauser94
    Shadower
    Nebula
    1 - I would feel indiferent, since thinking about it, the company will be the same, so i assume they will pull anything to get the sweet $$$ that they really enjoyed those past years. I might be wrong but who knows. In any case we have private servers to compare but they run different than a company.

2 - I never played the new Maple so i can't compare even for myself. Even when im tempted to do it to see how it is, it just feel that will get to a huge level really quick and that is not my jam. On the other hand, as people already said, the fact of having new stuff and waiting for it, is always a nice feeling, because it makes a community stay there and work for things.

3 - 100% sure the quests. The way things got intended with a plot, (yes, reading them is nice, they explain things) i love that. Even when it feels really empty when the higher the level you get, the less quests you have... And besides that, the BGM is amazing because it got stuck to me when i was a kid and still managed to remember a lot of them when i started in this server. (Random fact: the login melody is my ringtone at my work phone XD). And lastly, the most important, the IRL fact. Crossing borders to meet people that you talk on a daily inside a game and that occupy an important spot inside you, priceless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    1) Given that I've already invested time to play Classic MapleStory on GMS and Neckson pretty much ruined it before I could garner the complete satisfaction I was pursuing, and that I've already put in tremendous effort into MapleLegends, I would not be inclined to rejoin any server created by Neckson.

2) This is a complicated question. There were aspects of the old MapleStory that were bad, just as there are aspects of the later versions of MapleStory that were good. IMO, I believe the older versions were better because they promoted social structures and weren't so easy that every level up became mundane. The main problems with the earlier versions were the necessity of HP washing, the constant leeching, and (specific to Neckson servers) the rampant hacking that was never addressed. Some of the later elements of the game that I thought were good but are still not present here on MapleLegends would be the Maker Skill, the Mu Lung Dojo, Reverse & Timeless gear, and bonuses for complete gear sets. Elements of the game that I'm glad are not present on MapleLegends though they could be are: CPQ, 7th Day Market, Scissors of Karma, new placements of monsters, and Cygnus Knights. There's also the adjustments Kimberly has made, like the Monster Book Tier Ring, that have greatly improved the quality of the game. Is Legends perfect, no, not yet, but it is a much better version than any version Neckson put out.

3) I find the Free Market to be so much superior to that of WoW's auction house because it's more real to life. If you wanted something before the Internet (which the Internet does not seem to be an actual facet in WoW nor MS) you'd have to go looking through market places to find what you want/need. While I credit Blizzard for creating the auction house to make trades more accessible, it also took away an element I felt MapleStory was able to maintain through the Free Market - going shopping! While a lot of people don't like it, ML's voting system to get NX to use on Owls makes things better for many, so it's a nice compromise. Allowing merchants to set-up shops in particular places and having to advertise a bit makes being a merchant a lot more enjoyable and garners way more satisfaction than just listing a bunch of crap on an auction house list.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:23 AM
    Moderator Post
    1) Way too vague. Which version? Nostalgic is different for everyone. Assuming classic is v1 than I don't think I will play it

2) I think things were better back in the day when people knew less. Now people want change so much in servers that you may as well call it a custom server. Back in 2008 people were pretty much happy with anything, now people want more and more in a server.

3) This one is hard. But I think it's for me easily the community, and the friends I make. That's the biggest motivation right now as well to keep going with MapleLegends.

10. OP
    OP
    FireMushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    To explain a few of the question better:

1) Purely a hypothetical question, as far as I know.

2) Refers to the "core" Maplestory or like if we considered it to be its own universe? For instance this would include old and new parts of the game as well as all Private servers and the ones operated by Neckson too. Currently a player has a lot of choices in regard to which Maplestory that they could play but those options are not united as much like before. In the past, a player had less choices but what was available was more cohesive.
    (technically I would not include MapleLegends in the previous sentence because when taken individually I think this server is plenty good and solid. But at the same time MapleLegends is also a smaller part of the larger Maplestory universe, if that makes any sense?)

Or like how some would say that the game has improved and yet many Maplestory fan sites have gotten a lot more inactive.
    If anyone wants to go on Reddit and mention anything about Classic Maplestory then they should be extra cautious because it will probably not end well.

I do not think that everyone should always agree with everybody all the time but lets just say I believe in the concept of a fair debate.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I started playing in v.32 and quit not long after v.99 because of Professions. I don't know if specifying which version we started and stopped playing would be relevant to you because when you say "core," I really don't know what you mean because depending on which version you started, the term "core" could mean different things for different players.

http://www.basilmarket.com/General-What-Came-When-in-GMS-Wiki-2907

12. OP
    OP
    FireMushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    I guess you could say the entirety of all Maplestory past and present. For example not only how Maplestory has changed in game but also how players feel about it. Sorry if this question became more abstract than I intended.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  13. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    I know some people who played a v.55 server because they didn't have JUMP DOWN and felt that having the ability to jump down took away from the game. While I agreed that it changed a fundamental dynamic of the game, I was exceptionally torn because it so much more damn convenient. I felt the range of which the allowable JUMP DOWN was too far, but... you can't get everything you want. Just as an aside, I felt the JUMP DOWN maximum range should have been the same range jumping up to the next platform - ergo, if your Jump was higher, the further you'd be allowed to jump down.

14. OP
    OP
    FireMushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    Yea, stuff like that.

Originally I wasn't planning on saying much but I will go ahead and add a little bit.

1) I'd probably be closer to indifferent or on the fence. On one hand I just think that Neckson burned a lot bridges but then again, I would like to see it happen for the sake of newer players. (or anyone not fully comfortable with private servers)

2) I think its gone way downhill, not due to Maplestory itself but because the reputation of Neckson has taken a lot of hits and so has the reputation for people who play the game. And also I think the normal servers run by Neckson seem to exploit players a little bit too much compared to the past.

3) I like how when Pirates came out there was a whole back story and addition to how and why the world expanded that small amount east of henesys.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  15. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    If Neckson opened an old school server and promised it to not be pay2win (like reboot), I would join it. That being said, I really doubt that this will happen.

I think the private server community is much better now than it was in the past. There has been so much development and rewriting of original source files that have made private servers much more stable and enjoyable to play. In addition, we have so much more content than was in original old school GMS. The private servers today are simply better versions of the past game.

My personal favorite part of maplestory is watching my WEAK ass characters slowly grow up to be super strong. For example, it was an absolute pleasure to watch my 200 base int gunslinger grow up into the BUFF 4 base int 16x corsair he is today. I enjoy the painful beginnings, as they help me appreciate the end game even more.

• Great Work Great Work x 1