1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Akash Sky's Horntail Journal

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by akashsky, Nov 20, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:12 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-4-28_8-53-13.png

DPM above shown on echo / si / se / bear. Not a single time leap was used on my boat, also done while controlling a heaven's hammer mule (so little to no dismounting).

Recently, I've come across a surprising realization. It is actually better to scroll some of your gear for luk / avoid than it is to have attack / dex for higher dps in horntail.

The above dpm shown is 53.75% of my freefire dpm (when using a DEX overall, and 2 att 5 dex shoe).
    upload_2020-4-28_8-59-0.png upload_2020-4-28_8-59-22.png

However, in this fight i was not using those equips, instead, I was using the following:
    upload_2020-4-28_8-56-29.png upload_2020-4-28_8-56-46.png

With both of these gears (and the +20 avoid) from bless, i come out at 318 avoid (vs 274 avoid without).

318 avoid gives me a 23.76% to dodge an attack.

274 avoid gives me a 9.7% to dodge an attack.

This means that using the avoid gear effectively gives my boat 14.06% more hp, and I have 14.06% more stance (meaning less time wasted repositioning). Furthermore, I also use 14.06% less potions, making each horntail run significantly cheaper to run on my wallet.

Essentially, this is to say that corsairs scale immensely from avoidability, because of how the battleship mechanic works. An increase to dodge rate is an increase in the longevity of your ship, a decrease to the time u need to spend repositioning, which directly results in higher DPS with LESS Potion costs.

I'm not exactly sure at what point its better to use attack gear over avoid gear (if i had 10+ att shoes, i would certainly prefer them over yellow strap shoes), but at low - mid levels of gear, I think that avoid scrolling is a hard win at a boss like horntail.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    8:12 AM
    iPippy
    So when is Maple Canon Shooter going to be meta for its 28 avoid and 100 hp?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. spencil2

spencil2 Zakum

Dec 17, 2017
    Male
    GetSmoked
    Corsair
    Do you know if there's a avoidability calculator for corsairs that factors in dex and luk?

4. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The way it works for corsairs is that 1 point of dex = 0.125 avoid. 1 point of luk = 0.5 avoid. INT and str will add 0 avoid.

And of course, 1 avoid will add 1 avoid. Overall and shoe seem to be the best equips to scroll for it, since overall luk 30% adds 5.5 avoid per scroll, and shoe avoid 30% adds 5 avoid per scroll.

5. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-5-3_21-18-15.png

Unique run with second best possible case for corsair.
    Heartstoppers (+60 attack, +60 avoid)
    Boat glitch (infinite boat HP)
    Speed Infusion
    Sharpeyes
    Echo.

However, I was dual clienting instead of single clienting so there is some dps loss while juggling two different characters.

Anyways, with this combination I was able to reach 8.424m, which is starting to reach top tier range DPS in horntail. Unfortunately, I can't reach this high consistently because boat glitch, and heartstoppers. Still, I guess this serves as an upper boundary for what is possible.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-5-4_21-3-29.png
    Buffs:
    SE
    SI
    Echo
    Coke pill (+15 attack)
    **No time leap was used on my boat**
    **Dual clienting Heavens hammer mule**

With this setup, my freefire dpm is: 11322830.17 (using my attack gear, not avoid gear, but in the fight i was using avoid gear)

I was able to achieve 6238414 DPM 45 in horntail.

This translates to a ratio of 55% freefire dps! Which is actually a big gain for me performance wise! I think that when I finally hit level 200 and get a few gear upgrades, I can hit 60% when i tryhard single client.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-5-7_19-45-20.png
    Now that server lags were finally fixed (mostly), i can unleash more of my true power.

Run above was done with
    SI
    SE
    Echo
    Bear (+20 attack pot).
    while Multiclienting a Hammer mule.

My freefire dps in this circumstance (with attack gears, not avoid gears): 11632197.12
    DPs This run: 6673963
    Freefire ratio: 57.37%

Once again a very large increase. I guess horntailing (while multiclienting) while the server was extremely laggy was good training! Maybe one day I will white even the strongest nightlords.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sumilidon 25

Sumilidon 25 King Slime

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Kapcom
    Dragon Knight
    HOOD
    Do you think that maybe they can look to tweak how DEX avoid works for sairs and luk avoid works for mages? it would benefit the maple legends economy greatly as in staves are literally npc fodder and would also allow a new market for mages.

9. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Staff could, but i think its something that would need to be done really carefully. Avoid is a very powerful stat that can be easily abused. At least mages have the standard avoid formula, my fellow corsairs and I only gain 0.125 avoid per dex, while every other class gains at least twice as much.

Overall I don't think any change is needed (besides some bug fixes), as both corsairs and mages are very well balanced right now.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    8:12 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    hey can u do some adventures of other bosses too corsair seems fun

• Like Like x 1
  11. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:12 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  12. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-5-27_20-45-23.png

HT run with SI / SE / ECHO and Stews (+40 attack potion).

One time leap was used on my boat at the beginning legs / tail stage.

We recently had some pretty nice corsair buffs which resulted in ~5% more dps when on battleship cannon and added mobility via recoil shot.

I was able to get 7.479m dpm 45, which translates to ~55.35% of my freefire dps.

Other than that nothing really special here, no new tactics, but it is my first time getting a dpm 45 with only stews. I might try to do a bit more of these stew runs considering how cheap they are at the moment. I was able to buy like 20 stews for only 500k each.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-6-6_20-58-56.png

I finally finished scrolling my scarlion helmet (+8). It's 21 str, 33 dex.

I also decided to screw my late HP wash idea for my corsair and decided to add 75 AP that i had been saving since level 179. So, that is to say, my corsair is now actually level 194. Previously I had a bunch of unused AP just floating.

The above dpm was achieved with:
    SE
    SI
    ECHO
    Coke pill (+15 attack potion).

In terms of freefire ratio, its about 55% There is def still room for optimization in terms of my character's gear and control, but I don't foresee any major improvements going here on out.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sumilidon 25

Sumilidon 25 King Slime

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Kapcom
    Dragon Knight
    HOOD
    I was going to question on why no cider but you're a Corsair :[ what about dpm on Heart stoppers? I imagine close to 8m without ship glitch.

15. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I camp horntail cave with my corsair. This means that I never leave the cave. As a result, its very hard to get potions in and use slots are very precious. I use coke pills (+15 attack) most of the time because they hold 100 per slot whereas ciders hold 5 per slot. I do use ciders when people bring them in for me, but I would prefer potions instead.

I do have heartstoppers, but I typically save them for emergencys. I will try to do a run in the future to see where my dpm stands on heartstoppers. I have not done a stopper run in a long time.

ht dpm.JPG

Anyways on to the update. I was able to get 7.8m DPM 45. In this run I had:
    SI
    SE
    ECHO
    Horntail BUFF (+30 attack potion)
    Ciders (+20 attack potion).

I estimate that I used HT buff for about 30 minutes, and Ciders for ~15 minutes, so effectively, I had a 26.667 attack potion for this run.

As per % of my freefire, I achieved somewhere between 56-57% this run.

At this point, I pretty much know what I need to be doing in Horntail and it just comes down to execution and mechanics. Dismounting the 1/1s at the optimal timing, using all cure potions as soon as possible to not lose any cannon shots, using recoil shot effectively to NOT fall down, position properly to hit the body part that I am targeting, etc.

Some runs i play worse, some runs i play well, but over time, I hope my mechanics improve and hope to reach 60% free fire dps.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    8.29.JPG

With SI / SE / ECHO and Stews (+40 attack potion)
    8290845 damage per minute.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    8.7.JPG

8707493 damage per minute.

This run I had SI / SE / Echo / Stew (40 attack potion) and Amoria Basket.
    (while multiclienting a heaven's hammer mule).

Amoria basket is a special potion that adds +40 avoidability. This resulted in my dodge rate being 5% higher than normal.

In addition, there were a few extra positional optimizations that I did so that I don't lose as much DPS on unfavorable cancel situations.

When Middle head has weapon cancel and head C does not, I drop down to the middle platform and shoot head C. This way, my extra shots (that miss head C when it buldges upwards) hit the wings instead of doing 1 damage to head B.

Yes, overall wings damage is kind of pointless, but in this specific squad a little wing damage is wanted so that they fall before the arms start doing mass seduce.

In terms of freefire % (using my attack gear), my ratio this run was 59.49%.

60.59% using my avoid gear.

The extra avoid from amoria basket makes a huge difference.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  18. echung379

echung379 Brown Teddy

Oct 16, 2017
    Cookiee
    Hero
    You are an inspiration to all Sairs :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    tim1hr.JPG

Gear Upgrades:
    15 attack glove -> 17 attack 2 slots glove

Clean 1 hour 10 man run hosted by Blu301.

Here I had SE, Echo, and Horntail Buff. I was also only using a 20 avoid potion (so no armoria baskets here).

The result was a 7.435m dpm 40, which is roughly 55% of my freefire dps.

It was good fun, and as a bonus we even had good drops, so even though its a 10 man run, the splits will be fat!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    7.982.JPG

As I am slowly getting closer to level 200, my higher ship HP and avoidability is starting to shine. In this run i had:

HT Buff / Coke pill (30 / 15 attack)
    SI
    SE
    ECHO
    1 Time Leap on Boat
    Bowman Elixir (+20 avoid)

Starting now on, I decided that I am going to count freefire DPS using my avoid gear, since my attack shoes expired a while ago. This means that using my avoid gear isn't that much weaker than my normal dex gear (since I am not losing weapon attack. This would also mean that my % freefire will be slightly higher).

My new goal is to eventually hit 65% freefire with avoid gear (this is the % i would need to be on par with a similarly geared, well controlled nightlord)

going from the timer, I spent ~ 8 minutes without HT buff, and 37 minutes with. So, doing some quick maths, my average attack potion this run was 27.333333.

My freefire dps with above buffs would be 13735646.52,
    And I managed to get 7982108.

So, This corresponds to a freefire ratio of 58.11%. This is quite good considering that I was not using amoria baskets.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1