1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative to Prestigious Coin? Putting expiry on CS/WS without (severely) griefing hoarders

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cak33, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    12:40 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    From what I've believed after reading about Prestigious Coins, it aims to solve two problems in one go.
    - Putting a stop to using WS & CS as currency.
    - Makes bossing (more) profitable cause the profits is pretty bad.
    - A new meso sink.

But comes with some cons:
    - Both WS & CS prices pegged together.
    - Prestigious coins may potentially make mesos irrelevant.
    - Players have to pay tax to transfer their CS/WS to another character, if they ever wished to for whatever reasons.

I just thought of a small idea that could potentially deal with WS & CS being used as currency, and here's what I have in mind:
    - Convert all current CS & WS into untradable CS & WS coupons/fragments (I'll call them coupons in this thread). To make it simple, one coupon can be redeemed for one CS/WS (CS coupon redeems CS, and WS coupon redeems WS). These redeemed CS & WS are tradable, but have a, lets say, 1-year expiry, and cannot be converted back into coupons. Edit: No mesos is required for redeemption.
    - When someone wins a CS & WS from gacha now, it will be in the form of coupons. To redeem coupons, they have to go to an NPC for redemption.

So whats the pros and cons of using this? Here's what I think:
    Pros:
    - It is much, much harder to hoard CS & WS now, due to coupons being untradable, and now tradable redeemed scrolls have an expiry date. I believed this will almost completely discourage players using CS & WS as currency in future.
    - No pegging of CS & WS.
    - Players who buys CS & WS are likely to be users who want to actually scroll, and not hoard.
    - Players who does not use CS & WS do not have to worry about their gacha winnings expiring due to having coupons.

Cons:
    - Does not sink mesos.
    - May have a market crash on CS & WS
    - Does not make bossing more profitable in anyways (can be modified to do so, but it may be too custom for staff's liking, see 3rd post for more info)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that my idea is the best, and I'm all in for prestigious coins. However, I don't remember any alternative ideas to combat the WS/CS issues and I thought that perhaps this idea may be a decent alternative to think about.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    12:40 AM
    Trion
    Beginner
    Very interesting variant on what the current system prototype will be going forward for the prestigious coin system. The more suggestions and ideas that are out there to help finetune the system and add discussion the better. I appreciate the time you put into thinking it through. Can't wait to see what staff eventually comes up with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    1:40 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    If it doesn't help the boss profit, I can't see why it's that good. Seems this itself is a more relevant cons than any other prestigious coins con. But I agree that prestigious coins will be the new meso and I think it should be taxed while traded.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    this is my first main concern tbh. also the second concern is on how prestigious coins goes against nostalgia, tho at this point nostalgia may already be irrelevant, who knows.

if making bossing profitable is the main focus then I believed it should have its own attention, rather than being lumped into the CS/WS issue. However, the coupon ideas can be made slightly more complicated if u still wanna do a kill-one-bird-with-two-stones.

10 coupon for a CS/WS, and give bosses a chance to drop these coupons. When players win CS/WS, it will always comes in sets of 10, and each existing CS/WS will be converted to its multiplier of 10s respectively.

This may be too custom however, which may? be why CS/WS coins are not introduced, and only prestigious coins are

• Like Like x 1
  5. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    This should solve the WS price for good really.
    As I quote kimmy that, we have close to 4 digit of WS in this server.
    People are literally hoarding WS (me too honestly) and just driving the price up. Something like everyone just HODL and diamond hand LOL.

We got to solve people just hoarding first, before it can be effectively tackle by supply interversion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    The main reason for ws/cs being overly expensive is due to meso devaluation. Making cs/ws untradable or adding a coin system for their exchange wouldn't fix the hoarding issue since people would most likely resort to hoarding other items that don't tend to devalue along with meso, such as gfa 30, perfect elemental wands, etc.
    The prestigious coin system would however promote meso sink not only through the exchange tax but also from providing more of an incentive for people to run bosses. If the goal is to fix the hoarding issue, the focus should be in increasing meso sink and meso value, not on gating people from being able to hold on to certain items.

7. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    On the other hand, it is perfectly ok for someone want to hoard gfa30,elemental wands or even chairs LOL.
    There are techinally substitute for them maybe a be inferior but still usable (gfa70,60 / non perf wands).
    Why hoarding WS/CS is bad for the game is because it literally cock blocks game progression for all the players, there is literally no way around it.

8. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    You could make the same argument for other items that people also tend to hoard such as gen30, mw20, gfa 30, cfa 30, oa int 30, etc. Just because they're still relatively easy to purchase does not mean that people won't hoard them as well if they won't be able to hoard ws/cs anymore. The higher an items demand is, the more incentive there will be to hoard it so long as meso inflation continues to exist.

9. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I don't think this is true. From my understanding these coins are treated as items and can bypass tax, which I think is the main issue, but u can't expect to be taxing every items.

Hmm, I did not think about this when writing, but I think you are right about this.
    However someone tried to promote meso sink by suggesting to remove percentage elixirs (honster, mana bull, ginger and ginseng) in nlc. It did not work out well.

10. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Yea, I don't think the prestigious coin system would prevent people from hoarding these items; the exchange tax could help the economy a little bit but people would continue printing meso and buying these items so they don't lose meso from it's inevitable inflation
    I think a better alternative would be to "nerf" the 1% of the playerbase that is responsible for 90% of the meso inflation. Increasing mobs vertical and horizontal attack range at ulu1, ulu2, cornians and other very low effort meso farming maps for example, which makes it severely harder to multimage, or nerfing how much you can npc their equip drops for in these high meso maps so farmers are inclined to sell leech, or farm scrolls instead of printing new meso into the economy.

11. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    These are imo very hard to deal with. Multi client mages will almost always be applicable due to the nature of it - juz hog multiple channels and u can generate large sum of mesos

12. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Of course, the goal would be to make it more difficult for them through tweaking certain maps. Multi maging requires you to alternate between clients, if a mob's knockback or attack range were to be increased it would make it harder for people to station their mages in a single spot.
    Nerfing the amount of meso you can get from equips on the other hand would negatively impact non multimagers but it could serve as an incentive for people to sell leech as a means of making meso instead of farming the 1% of the maps that net them a lot of raw meso.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    we used to nerf gobies on the basis of the same argument but what not?

14. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    true. im not against it - just trying to point out that its a cat and mouse game, which may put unnecessary workloads on staffs

15. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Goby was already a high effort map, the fact that rarely anyone goes there despite still being one of the best pure meso farming maps shows it, the nerf was originally due to the aggro bug, since then they buffed it back a bit, though it still has 1 fewer bombing fish house.
    Ulu 1 is an even better map for farming meso, and ulu2 is almost the same as goby meso wise but it requires significantly less effort. I'm not particularly in favor of a spawn nerf since it affects people farming on a single client almost just as much as multimages, however tweaking these maps as a means of increasing the amount of attention or effort required without having to nerf the spawn would mostly affect multimagers and people who multitask farm all day whom barely have to pay any attention, which would result in less meso being generated.
    One good example of would be Zipangu: Ninja Castle Hallway [7] (nintos) where a portion of the floor in the middle warps you to a different map, or Sutra Depository 7F where the fishes knock you back making it hard to stay in a fixed spot; these maps require more attention therefore they're significantly less viable for multimagers and people who spend the whole day farming while they multitask.

16. tunafish

tunafish Slime

Aug 2, 2021
    6:40 AM
    Marksman
    hmm i think this is an amazing idea, however what if an individual is saving up ws one by one in order to one day hopefully have enough to perfect a weapon or item? that would put them at a disadvantage since now they would have to save all their mesos all at once before buying the WS, whereas before they could choose whenever to buy them (presumably when it's at it's cheapest)

17. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    sorry if its not very clear, but redeeming CS/WS does not require mesos.
    hence it is actually have much better advantage for them - with existing CS & WS having expiry, they can buy them at cheaper prices.

the one that are being disadvantaged are those who kept them as currency, as they need to find a way to convert these coupons into mesos, but with minimal loss. the best way will be to make a perfect weapon and sell them - but the demand for them will be very low and hence hard to sell.

18. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    12:40 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING

WS/CS are in a tricky spot because they are the most desired endgame item, and they are CONSUMABLE. They are an incredibly safe investment and because supply/demand is controlled as a result of more of them being consumed/hoarded than generated, and they are the go-to item used as currency for big trades.

Because their use is so loaded, it kind of fucks over anyone who actually intends to use them as the devs intended. Slapping an expiry on them either forces you to use it, or forces you to put them into circulation.

--

The only halfway decent argument I've heard against it as that all current WS/CS would have the same expiry and that there would come a day where the market would be fucked as a result of them all being poofed at the same time. Even the threat of that day will allow people to use that as an opportunity to get a bunch of cheap ws/cs.

However, people who started much earlier on the server have already had that advantage. Remember when WS/CS were sub 100m? That's likely never happening again, and WS/CS "D-Day" would only happen once before fixing the problem forever. Plus, you could randomize the expiry date within a given range, or make it so that the expiry is applied when the account is logged in to so that someone who's been inactive for a year doesn't get fucked over by the change.

--

tl;dr I will die on this hill

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    That was what I'm thinking too - not about the currency or mesos or watever, but rather these items are not being used themselves. I always thought tax evasion is the main motivator but I guess I'm wrong.
    Using the coupon ideas will instantly nullify WS & CS usage as currency - and hoarders who actually wants to use them as intended has totally 0% side-effects. The main side effects only affect those who are keeping it as money which imo isnt even a very major one as I believed they can craft a perfect weapon that they desire with it.

Until the true reason(s) for hoarding is fully found out and understood, imo it is not a good idea to rush out solutions as one problem generally just led to another. While I do like the idea of prestigious coins and can accept the cons that it comes with for now, not having an alternative before committing may blind us in weighing whether the negative side effects are worth it or not.

20. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    9:40 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This topic has been discussed heavily if not on the forums on various discord servers. Through these discussions, I think the cleanest solution would be to separate the transition into two parts:
    • Turn all existing white scrolls into Legacy White Scrolls that can still be freely traded, used, and stored (does not expire). This supply will continue to be used in three ways 1) as a white scroll 2) as exchange currency 3) as a novelty collectors item. The non-expiry of these items will be balanced out by the discontinued production of these scrolls. Hoarding of these scrolls will eventually become irrelevant to the white scroll market.
    • Make all newly generated white scrolls expire after 90 days. This will give those who acquire and do not need white scrolls (at the moment) to offload the white scrolls to others that need them. This creates a healthy flow for white scrolls and shortens the time between their creation and use by setting a hard upper limit of 90 days. This increase in trade will also act as a healthy meso sink as more white scrolls are consumed up.
    An argument I've heard against expiring White Scrolls:
    • Expiring items cannot be listed in the Free Market stores, so all trades will have to be made through social conventions (smegaing, #free-market, etc.). I don't see this as much of a downside since you aren't coming across multiple white scrolls a week. The market inconvenience does not outweigh the advantage to a superior system, imo.

• Like Like x 4