1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Urge to Remove the Multi-Client Boss Restrictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TTKirnk, Jun 20, 2020.

1. TTKirnk

TTKirnk Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    9:23 AM
    TTKirnk
    Buccaneer
    Carnival
    Hey everyone, my name is Tyler, a level 160 Buccaneer main. After not playing for like a year and a half or so, I recently started getting into the game again. This has led me to have conversations about the current state of the game with some people as well as browsing forums, and I learned and discovered one huge current topic of debate: Multi-clienting during boss expeditions. In case you did not read, the most recent major patch implemented a change where "Each unique person can now only enter a boss battle on 1 character at a time (applies to Zak, HT, and Scar only - for now)." In other words, if you have two clients of MapleLegends open on your computer, let's say for your Hero and your Bishop, you can only bring one of these characters in. This change seems like its trying to target a specific issue (which the post discusses), but I feel like this change not only fails at its goal, but has created other issues at the exact same time. This is where my post actually begins: I am trying to argue that the ban on multi-clienting is a really bad change and should be reverted back to what it was before the patch. At the very least, I hope that this post at least starts more discussions about the topic. There is already a forum and potentially more that is related to the topic, but I am arguing for one decision while giving my reasoning rather than asking for one way or the other. This does not mean the other side has no merit or value; if anything I would rather have no forms of multi-clienting rather than what we have currently. This also does not mean people cannot disagree with me or debate about anything I say or what anyone else says; if anything I heavily encourage debating and discussions. Just be respectful about the debate and don't try to go off topic. I like to be wordy and thorough if you haven't noticed already, so get your popcorn and drinks ready for a long read (or scroll down to the TL DR at the end).

As with any argument, a basis of information and the like needs to be established, as well as a further explanation of points supporting it. It is hard to understand something if everyone is not on the same page, to which I will do my best in laying out everything needed (if I miss something, feel free to call me a dipshit and tell me what it is in the comments). But first, the big question: Why do I believe multi-clienting should exist?

In its current state, people can still multi-client through different computers and not get banned for it, which means people with big ol' families or with $$$$ can still multi-client for Zakum, Horntail, and Scarga by using two or more different computers. This creates a couple of really big issues, such as a form of "pay2win" and a strange middle ground of stances and perspectives. I also want to quickly mention this rule only applying to those three expeditions and not bosses with portals (Emperor/Toad in Ninja Castle) or pqs like Crimsonwood Keep PQ also leaves people confused in where the line is drawn, but they have claimed that this change is experimental, so I do not think it is worth discussing.

In addition to creating other problems, this change, in my opinion, does not really fix the big issue they were trying to fix (as stated in the major patch notes): "By blocking multiple characters from the same person getting inside boss battles we hope users, especially newer ones, get more accepted into runs again." From my experience, I have only heard of the most competitive and you could call the "top of the food chain" groups doing things like this. And guess what? These kinds of people, more often than not, are not the majority of the population, but a much smaller fraction. Putting a limit on a small fraction of a group in theory can help the majority (scenario dependent), but it feels like in this scenario the problem is stemming elsewhere rather than this small fraction of boss runners. Simply put, the people that heavily utilize multi-clienting for boss expeditions are still doing exactly that for the most part, which is not helping those that cannot get into boss runs.

Out of all the ideas I have brought up so far, the idea I want to focus on the most is the "pay2win" issue this last patch has created. So, how is this being made, why is it an issue, and, if possible, can it be dealt with and how? To fully understand, some background information is needed.

From what I have heard from some friends who have seen it or done it first hand and a few forum comments, there are some questionable mules going into some of the boss runs (the mules I will bring up will revolve around Horntail) that are making life a whole lot simpler and easy. The two that were brought up to me are Heaven's Hammer (HH for short) Paladin mules (I have seen them also be called LUK Paladins) and Dex Buccaneer mules.

So, what are HH mules? They are essentially Paladins that just throw a metric crap ton of points into luk for avoidability, hp wash out of their minds (increasing hp without sacrificing ability points), and max HH as soon as humanly possible. These characters then pretty much just spam HH during Horntail runs whenever it is off cooldown (it is about 20 seconds or so at max level) So what is worthwhile about this? HH is a skill that pretty much brings all regular monsters down to 1 health while doing a big damage value to bosses (about 200k or 199,999 damage), like Horntail. It also ignores Weapon Cancel buff, so you don't have to worry about doing 1's instead of 200k's whenever the Horntail heads use Weapon Cancel. In addition, this skill has global range, so you can hit everything, anywhere on the map. The best part? HH will do this regardless of your stats. Stats that increase a paladin's damage do not change HH's damage due to it doing a set amount of damage, so these mules with a bunch of health and luk to get avoidability are doing free 200k damage to every Horntail body part every 20 or so seconds, while people with actual damage and existing characters are attacking the big dragon at the same time. In other words, these mules can save a decent amount of time, and I have been told can even eliminate the use of potions that increase damage, such as Onyx Apples, which can save you some $$$$. These mules do not break the game like the next mule I will talk about, but they can definitely be seen as a problem due to the convenience they can bring, such as saving time or increasing damage without having to recruit another human being. I have been told these mules are relatively common as well, so that can be seen as a positive or a negative depending on your perspective. I also do not have a solution in how to deal with them while not destroying actual Paladin players, but I thought bringing them up could perhaps spark some ideas from people on how to deal with them while also bringing up an example of a mule that could be seen as problematic but not game breaking.

Now, time for the big problem mule: Dex Buccaneers. What are they? They are buccaneers that max out their dex and once again hp wash (though I heard it is not required but it is an option) like no man's business, max out Time Leap, which resets all cooldowns besides another Time Leap, and "max" Speed Infusion (aka they get it to level 11 and get the max attack speed needed out of it). Their purpose? To abuse their two party skills that they maxed out and be a seduce mule in Horntail. Why is this a problem? Because Horntail's seduces, even his mass seduce, are no longer major threats and ruin the job of other classes. In particular, regular Buccaneers and Bishops get hurt by this badly.

So you might be thinking, "this does not sound THAT bad Tyler you're rambling for nothing IDIOT." First of all, I should tell you that for whatever reason, Buccaneers receive a bit more avoidability from dex than most other classes, and these Dex Buccaneers are easily capping their avoidability at 999 with just 450-500 base dex which is achievable before level 120 (can get more with buffs like bless) while also having the choice of getting a crap ton of hp from hp washing. Time Leap also resets the cooldown of Hero's Will, the only skill that can remove seduce, so some Dex Buccaneers all with maxed Time Leap using that on Hero's Will whenever mass seduce happens really makes mass seduce go from "gonna maybe team wipe" to "lol what a joke xDD." In actual English, the biggest threats that Horntail offers, mass seduce and regular seduce, are no longer threats due to the existence of Dex Buccaneers. This is a really big problem. I have also heard that people that are still multi-clienting through different computers are heavily utilizing these mules, to which this past patch they actually became even more useful and stronger to use.

What did they change to make Dex Buccaneers even better? For those that do not know, both of Horntail's right and left hands can seduce a singular person. This has always been the case. The previous patch, however, had it so that if you had aggro on a hand, lets say the right hand, and moved to the opposite side of the map, the left side, that hand would become locked up and essentially do nothing until either the person with aggro goes back to the same side as the right hand or someone else took aggro (it seems that the major patch notes states this as a bug, but I am not 100% sure as it just says "Bugfix for Horntail attacks not being map-wide" which is probably referring to this change but I am not 100% certain. Regardless of what it was, it was in the last patch and that is how those hands worked). Obviously, this mechanic was abused and made hands a joke and not a threat. Obviously once again, the staff did not like that, especially if it was just a bug, and changed that this past major patch, making it so that the hands will always function regardless of who has aggro and where this person is.

I am sure you're wondering. "But Tyler, that sounds like a good change to make the boss harder/just fixing a bug. Why is this bad?" Yes, I could not agree more; it is a good change/I am glad they fixed the bug. What this does, however, is now give the Dex Buccaneer another role: seduce mule. Not only is it helping give more damage through Speed Infusion and being a big party saver with Time Leaping Hero's Will, but now its an effective seduce mule due to it rarely getting hit. In other words, this mule gives an insane amount of utility to Horntail parties to the point where teams can get away with a small party to maximize their profits from the drops. Wanna know the best part? The same patch that introduced this aggro change/bug fix to Horntail's hands also made it so that multi-clienting is now illegal unless you do it on a different computer. In other words, only people that can afford to leech off of family member's computers or throw money into computers can now utilize Dex Buccaneers for Horntail. In other words (am I repeating myself yet?), the staff has unintentionally (hopefully) created a pay2win system that is really powerful when accessed.

To further explain, this set up allows the potential of people to control the prices of Horntail drops in the economy. How? The smaller the party of people for a boss run, the bigger the splits each person gets, which means these groups can afford to lower their prices compared to bigger groups to not only sell their drops quicker, but still be able to make just as much profit or more. To use some numbers, let's say there are three groups selling Maple Warrior 20, and it is going for about 320mil. Group #1 has 4 people, Group #2 has 8 people, and Group #3 has 12 people. Let's now all three groups are trying to sell a Maple Warrior 20, and Groups #2 and 3# are selling it at the average price of 320mil, while Group #1 decides to sell theres at 200mil. Wow, how could you not buy the 200mil one as a consumer right? So much cheaper than the other two groups. Despite selling it for 120mil cheaper, each person in Group #1 makes more money than everyone in Groups #2 and #3 (50mil for #1, 40mil for #2, 30mil for #3) while being able to sell it much faster. The downside to having 4 people only in your run is that it is extremely hard to consistently complete successful Horntail runs... in theory that is. Guess what? Dex Buccaneers make this kind of behavior so much easier to do. Now what if Group #1 also uses HH mules? Pretty likely if they've made one type of mule already, so now they can save money from not having to get items like Onyx Apples and make their runs even easier and faster. Now the final nail in the coffin: what if I also said that only Group #1 can afford to buy the computers needed to multi-client and the other Groups cannot? Talk about a literal oligopoly set up right there. But guess what? If it isn't already, that is a real possibility currently because people require multiple computers in order to multi-client during bosses like Horntail now, and the people trying to maximize their profits and efficiency are extremely likely to use any legal method to achieve these goals, and using HH and Dex Buccaneer mules are exactly what they're looking for.

Of course, I am exaggerating a bit for the sake of my example, but the point is that not many people are going to have access to mules now for bosses like Horntail due to the recent changes, and instead of stopping or even discouraging mule usage, it is kind of encouraging it more. Not only is using multi-clients through computers and using HH and Dex Buccaneer mules not a bannable offense (in other words literally no reason not to use them), but if you want to keep up with the groups that are utilizing the mules, now people will feel pressured to also utilize mules like Dex Buccaneers, to which some people will be unable to do so because they can't afford to get another computer.

Truth be told, I feel like this change is taking the wrong idea and approach completely. If you ask me, multi-clienting is something that not only will always exist, but you can't just say "yeah, but no" to. There are too many slippery slopes and different perspectives on the matter. I am someone that loves to take both sides of an argument into consideration and try to compromise, but sometimes that can be the worst solution to take, and this scenario with multi-clienting is one of them. Either make it a bannable offense in any form or allow free reign, to which I think free reign is the better choice here. Forcing people to change their behaviors is also not the ideal path to take a lot of the time, which is what prohibiting multi-client use is trying to do. If you really want to stop a behavior or have people perform another behavior more, make them WANT to, not HAVE to. Don't want people using mules so often? Look at why people are using mules. Dex Buccaneers are a thing because they are abusing mechanics in a way originally not intended that is extremely efficient and useful and Buccaneers still have a really small player base at the level to where Horntail takes place (which has its own plethora of reasons that is for another forum).

On topic of Dex Buccaneers, I also want to take a paragraph and a bullet point list and say Dex Buccaneers should not be a thing or at least nowhere near as effective as they are, and offer some insight or methods as to deal with them. Even with multi-clienting being a thing again, these mules are far too destructive and insane and I believe no one should have access to the power and utility that they bring. Other ideas and thoughts are more than welcome. Here are my thoughts in a bullet list:

1. Time Leap should not apply to Hero's Will. This will make mass seduce an actual threat at all times, and also make Time Leap a more valuable skill to save for other skills such as Smokescreen and Resurrection.
    2. Destroy the effectiveness of avoidability gain for Buccaneers. I do not like this option but it is an option, as it does hurt actual Buccaneer players. If it were to happen, I do not think it would be a huge deal, as honestly as a Buccaneer myself I rely more on using i-frames from my attacking moves than my actual avoidability stat to avoid damage. Destroying the avoidability gain would make Dex Buccaneers not only harder to keep alive, but not as effective of seduce mules.
    3. Change seduce aggro. This is in my opinion a great option to deal with Dex Buccaneers, as combined with the first bullet, can make seduce a full on threat and make seduce mules that are not actual people less useful. However, I also imagine people will not be happy with changing the current seduce aggro, so I am betting this bullet point is also the most controversial. Here's another issue: how to implement this. I am not an expert at coding, lend alone how this game's coding works, but ideally I would argue that characters that do not attack the hands at all should not be able to gain seduce aggro whatsoever, but can still be affected by mass seduce. I also think an active aggro system rather than just "whoever enters the map first Horntail wants more" should exist. Truthfully, I do not even know if this is possible to code, but I would suggest a system that whoever is doing the most damage and is closest to the hand would gain seduce aggro. This would make it impossible for mule characters that just sit there and do pretty much nothing but buff or look pretty from gaining seduce aggro (at least, without any effort).

If you read the whole post and now you're here, congratz! Hope I didn't make you cringe too hard or make you hate my guts eternally. Thanks for taking the time to at least glance at my post for 2 seconds or reading the whole thing. I mean no ill will towards anyone in the community or the staff, just a concerned angry man that just wants what he thinks is best for the server, which of course is not up to me to decide but hey I gave my two cents at least right? If you jumped for the TL DR, here you go:

1. Multi-clienting should either be allowed completely or not at all. No half-assing nonsense, to which I would heavily argue in favor of it being allowed.
    2. Banning multi-clienting has only created more and bigger issues; I would also argue that it does not even solve the issue of people being excluded from boss raids, the issue it was trying to solve.
    3. Do not force behavioral changes onto people, but instead try to encourage or discourage behaviors. The change on multi-clienting is trying to force a behavioral change which isn't working anyway because there are loopholes.
    4. Mules like Dex Buccaneers are an issue and should be dealt with directly rather than just trying to stop people from using mules in the first place.

• Informative x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Great Work x 1
  2. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Just make multiclienting in boss a bannable offense instead of this "we don't want you to use two computers but we won't stop you" pepega and make bucc better (like giving them more range) so more people will want to bring them (paladins are already good)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman

But MapleLegends is tagged no pay2win???

upload_2020-6-20_18-4-56.png

On a more serious note I agree with most of this and think mules should either be an all or nothing thing (training/leech included). I still don't see how mules in HT are so bad and gatekeeping "new players" but mules in cwkpq and NT are completely fine? It's also weird to me that the expectation seems to be high level players with endgame gear (where I assume most of the mules are used) are going to take "new players" on HT runs instead of new players organizing with their level range and growing with each other. Just seems like an overall poorly thought out/rushed idea to target a minority group of players.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    10:23 AM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Nice post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    6:23 AM
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    I agree that this current state is pointless.

Make it a fair ground for everyone period.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    9:23 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    wall of text so long please reduce post length. feels like reading a contract

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    2:23 PM
    Yeah... no... You can't hit everything from anywhere in the map. Only certain spots will allow you to hit all limbs.

Anyway, paladin's are fine as they are right now. They've already addressed this in the past by increasing the CD for HH from 10s to 15s which I think is fine as it is right now.

Edit:
    I love using hypotheticals to argue but, let's be honest here, what you're describing will never happen. The fact that MW20 is going for 340-350m right now means that there are people willing to pay that amount. Even if you would yield higher splits than a 12 man group, why the hell would you shoot yourself in the foot and sell for lower if there are people willing to pay for higher? It makes absolutely no sense.
    If you knew anything about the MW20 market then you would know that it's a pretty hot market. Even selling right now at 340-350m, the book will be gone in a few days.

Ultimately I agree that the staff needs to choose to either make this bannable or allow multi-client as this half-way approach solves nothing. But some of the points you've used to back your conclusion are severely misinformed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    3:23 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    More like someone's way too detailed fan fiction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sympatic

Sympatic Master Chronos

Sep 16, 2017
    Male
    The current changes to combat this should be removed. I completely agree.

10. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    This is right, HH doesn't have map-wide range, to fully hit all body parts HH mules jump and cast.
    HH mule is still overpowered though, increasing the CD to 15s only made them lose 33% of their previous damage, means that if they were doing around 4.5~5m dpm during body stage they are doing now around 3~3.3m dpm. To put it in perspective, the best NL's in the server (LVL200 with insane gear) do around 9~9.8m~ dpm on echo, mw20 and old bear, so a squad that can use 3 HH mules basically have a free high level funded attacker.
    The fact that these mules can be effective at lvl 139 with HH and stance, meme equips, 4 STR, and only attacking every 15 seconds is dumb. Increasing the CD from 10s to 15s was a laughable solution, HH is still op and is still played.

This is right because right now there's a lot of demand and few books, but the scenario was completely different some weeks ago when owling MW20 or GEN30 showed each 3 pages of books and squads would undercut each other to sell their stock, MW20 went down to 250m and GEN30 to 150m. In this predatory scenario only the squads that could afford it dragged prices down and sold fast, which made sense at the time because white scroll prices were cheap and pretty much every high level runner wanted to buy some. With MW20 for 250m, 5-man squads got 50m splits, 8-man squads 31m splits, 12-man squads 20m splits. If you add that the small squad had a big stock and ran everyday the advantage is even greater. And of course the squads that could do it got the most white scrolls.
    However as long as there's strong players running with each other this will always happen and there's nothing wrong with smaller squads getting bigger profits that's just how it is, but what OP was trying to argue is that the use of mules enable smaller squads to be ~smaller~ and succesful which ultimately can hurt every other groups that can't do the same, but not for being weaker but for not having multiple computers. But well just saying that currently no one would "shoot themselves", but just you wait until the undercut fest starts all over again, which always happen btw

cute post, the reality is as degenerate as op says though

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    4:23 PM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    I think making the seduce aggro random like it was before, that would fix the Dex bucc problem and make the boss more challenging like it should be.
    The current state of HT is too easy for an end game boss.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    There must be better solutions, as a bishop player I disagree with random seduce that would be too clown and too rng-based to play with. tbh the boss is currently harder than before since it's not possible to lock arms, it's just the use of seduce mules and the possibility of having a mule TL Hero's Will that makes it a joke. I'd rather see multiclient banned than having random seduce :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    Ban multiclient and then good luck doing cwkpq with good splits ever again, no one will do it, it will be almost impossible to get 12 people, 2 of each class(and even if they do get 12 people, its not worth!)
    Also, good luck grinding efficiently without HS or other buffs.
    I totally disagree with that.

14. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    if you can understand what I'm saying I'm not advocating for MC ban, I'm saying that I'd rather have that than having random seduce (to show that it's not a good idea) but maybe I wasn't obvious enough, my bad :rolleyes:

15. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    Oh no problem, got your point now :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:23 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    What? I would much rather have random seduce over MC ban. We can always get around random seduce by bringing in MORE dex bucc mules, so its less likely an attacker gets seduced.

• Funny Funny x 10
  17. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    It's possible to signup for CWK without entering while still fulfilling the 2 per class limit, so banning multiclienting in CWK would only put the lower cap of participants at 5 (you need at least one character from each class to complete the stages).

18. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    undercutor4d.png

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    To sum up, just either ban or allow multi-client totally.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1