1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

And while I'm at it-

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Midnight, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    3:39 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    While ML is in my opinion, a much more stable, professional, and mature environment than any other server on the list, I suggest what is apparently a controversial measure to keep it that way.
    I have never, until now... suggested that we follow the footsteps of another server who-shall-not-be-named, but I suggest a specific rule against racial or homophobic slurs.

The closest thing we have is this-

3.3 Harassment- All forms of harassment will not be tolerated. This includes rude, hateful, abusing, threatening, or otherwise objectionable behavior both in-game or on the forum. We don't expect everyone to be best friends with each other, but we simply ask that you respect one another. We won't take any comments about a player's race, ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs or sexuality lightly. This also includes responding in an objectionable manner such as kill stealing, or mass defaming (more than 1 defame). In cases of kill stealing, using the command @mapowner, will display the player who owns the map. Depending upon the severity of the actions, the punishment may vary, with the possibility of warnings given out for lighter offenses. Punishment: 1st Offense: 3 Day Ban: 2nd Offense: 7 Day Ban; 3rd Offense: Account Ban

I firmly believe that a racial or homophobic slur *is* a comment in itself. If this is already a punishable offense, I suggest that it be clarified, made more publicly noticeable, and/or (and/or) the rule enforced by means of client-sided chat restriction.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    9:39 AM
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds as if you were suggesting to punish the use of some words regardless of intention. That's sort of dangerous, some people might just use those words without wanting to insult.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting, and I see what you mean. Allow me to make sense of this...

I have friends of all races and gender identifications. They tend to share racial and sexual/homosexual jokes with me, and we even exchange them. We do not use them while walking down crowded streets, or practice them with a megaphone in the middle of a mall food court. We tell them in the car and in our homes, because the majority of the public is offended by certain words that are involved in these jokes. One of my lesbian friends has been publicly shamed for calling me a >insert homophobic slur here< in public. It was a joke. I made an envious comment about another man's beard. XD but... I am heterosexual. It happened in a public place, and it led to a lot more than a joke. People other than us were offended, and it downed the mood of many. And... I actually didn't appreciate it much either. I personally don't like to see the slurs being made in-game and/or on the forum, and I don't think many people do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pina

Pina Stone Golem

Feb 7, 2015
    Male
    PodoSoju - Gahm - Only81
    F/P Mage
    Glory
    gay

• Like Like x 9
  5. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    10:39 AM
    Sean
  6. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Harassment and racial/sexual comments to me is same thing. If you make such comments to someone that don't like it you're harassing the person. I do not really want add robotic autobans or banning people for simply saying the word. This is a game, not a prison.

If someone say 'Congrats my nigga' which is clearly to a friend I will not ban the person. If however, someone say it directly to a person as an insult (and the person reports it) I would. Or if someone is making racist jokes and other are asking the person to stop and he doesn't, I would.

I am against robotic bans based on words.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    Keep your safespaces for tumblr pls.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Boggyb

Boggyb Master Chronos

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    8:39 AM
    Pauldaniels
    Bishop
    Misfits
    If you take intention and context out of the equation when you're deciding whether to ban someone or not things will get out of hand really fast; half of the server will end up banned. This is a really, really bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    That's cool. Your clarification makes sense and it's completely enough for me.
    That's not. I'm not gay, I don't appreciate you suggesting that I am. you're not funny, and you don't match the description of this server's community. So KimberlyKimberly this is what I'm talking about, you'd might as well go ahead and change the description of our community if this
    and this are what our members are made of.

10. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    And what would that be?

11. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Cheap suggestions that one would need a safe place.

12. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    4:39 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Don't take it on the community if you fail to understand sarcasm.

• Like Like x 5
  13. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I understand sarcasm, and unless you can provide an example in which I have failed to understand sarcasm, I will assume that this is sarcasm.

Clearly, there are some misunderstandings of why I posted this thread.
    http://forum.maplelegends.com/index...e-in-that-other-server.8788/page-2#post-82830
    That... is not ok, and should be against the rules.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    FailFish

• Like Like x 2
  15. Qanu

Qanu Stone Golem

May 16, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands, EU
    HammerSlam
    White Knight
    GodDuckness
    Mehh... I read those comments. All I can say is, some are rough with words, some just plain idiots... Don't get worked up cuz some a minority don't seem to understand the gravity of their words. I do agree with Kimberly's statement, no autobans on words that can be used in different ways, in different circumstances. I take an example of that "gay" comment Pina posted earlier: how are you taking this as a personal offense rather than him not liking your statement?
    Also, I think there's a danger in take just words (w/o having a social meaning yet) into the "nae-say zone". If they aren't allowed to say, how are we supposed to call people/strangers-yet-to-know w/o getting 'em offended, if they are going to be offended in the first place? I mean, most people in my city/country are generally ok/easy going on calling/getting called by slurs. But in midst of all those people, there are some who are even triggered by the words "you guys" or "our <insert sentence>". Not cool at all...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    I agree with you and also with Kim. This has less to do with creating "safe spaces" and more to do with "not being an asshole". Unfortunately, so many people on the internet struggle with the latter. OnionF6

Low EQs... everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  17. iScream

iScream Mano

May 21, 2016
    iScream
    #TRIGGERWARNING

• Like Like x 1
  18. iScream

iScream Mano

May 21, 2016
    iScream
    I suggest a dislike button on this forum.

19. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    That's exactly the conclusion that I've come to. Right on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. iScream

iScream Mano

May 21, 2016
    iScream
    I disagree with the fact that you should keep your jokes private. If someone feels offended they should simply just ignore it if it's not referred to them. Humor between friends is important and everyone has a different way of doing this. Taking this away because some people feel sensitive when they aren't even involved in this is a silly reason in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.