1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Anniversary 2020 Skill Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, May 23, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:30 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I go focus on other stuff for a few hours and I'm bombarded LMAO

In terms of pure theoretical considerations, it wasn't measured, since it would be too many variables (as it would depend on level, accuracy of monster, avoid gained from equips, etc). So if we're looking at damage comparisons, it wasn't a consideration. But it is something we are keen on looking at from a Quality of Life perspective.

I know you later on said that you're convinced, but I want to direct everyone's attention to this graph:

[​IMG]

Heroes start off really strong, and stay pretty noticeably strong all the way to end-game. It's only at ABSOLUTE end game with PERFECT gear and SE+SI, that they get just slightly overtaken by DKs :p and with just SE, heroes still remain stronger

[​IMG]

The above reply to kanashimi also applies to you :p About the strength of heroes

I have heard this issue from other players about low level grinding, but I think we won't be able to really figure out the results of this change without wide play testing. Also, if you weren't consistently 1-2 hitting previously, you still won't be 1-2 hitting previously.

NLs do not get affected by SI, which is exactly why if you look at the charts, their SE damage and SE+SI damage remain the same :p the crit damage change also allows for harder hitting crits (with SE even), which would mean NLs would hit harder numbers, and therefore have an easier time pinning certain bosses as well

Alchemist DURATION % is the only thing that was changed. This applies to weapon attack pots, and would not affect grinding and pot use.

2. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    8:30 AM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Not sure if 800k/min more will help when you're doing much less altogether without SE (on a larger scale of -6-7mil of total DPM for every nightlord), but if SE did DC/die-late into horntail, it COULD possibly be just the marginal improvement needed to take down horntail within those last few minutes xD.

3. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    3:30 AM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    I was getting excited by the fact that the droprate in NT will be increased.
    The thing is, it doesn't matter anymore since getting a 2H NT sword is really not viable anymore, just like Sky skis for Drks, I have to rely on Stonetooth if I want to go the 2H sword route(which I do want).
    I don't know if I should be happy about it or not...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    well after working on our gears, having a 50%(1/2) chance/certainty of pinning a boss seems way better than 25% (1/4) chance/certainty. meanwhile saving me some nx from charms or whatnot. hmmm hp washing optional still? lets see

5. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Just run with an actual bucc not a SI mule kappa

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    If you crit once hard enough, shadow partner will copy it. And also the speed at which you attack, that 1/4th possibility is enough to pin the boss reliably

7. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    8:30 PM
    DMsRebirth
    Windraiders. Cheap Amplifiers. Kid Mannequins. All of them are much better training spots than Ghost Ship can ever hope to be for assassins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    thats very reassuring

9. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    3:30 AM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    Bucc mains are rare xD

10. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    1:30 AM
    Kek if I can end the run 1 min earlier now in the event where SE dc's, I'll take it. Anything to save 1 min of pots man! :D

11. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Hopefully now there will be more reason for people to actually be bucc mains then.

Or just make more friends with like 4-5 bucc mains like I did kappa

12. ellyyy

ellyyy Slime

Jun 13, 2019
    Female
    ellyyy / ahlai
    Bishop, Buccaneer
    Colors
    or.... you could u know..... just run w an actual bucc lol

• Agree Agree x 9
  13. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    5:30 PM
    I understand why gelt was needed to calculate maximum damage. However, majority of the sever do not even gelt or Apple in bosses unless the run was in jeopardy. Wouldn’t a more realistic comparison be made with common attack pots rather than gelt/Apple?

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    2:30 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Are we getting any Bucc buff anytime tho? o.o
    BTW bucc main here invite me to your runs, I'm pretty decent myself e.e

• Like Like x 2
  15. pskee321

pskee321 Red Snail

May 17, 2020
    Male
    Why are we even looking to balance the different job classes based on single matrix such as DPM? Not all job classes are created equal and they all have their individual pros&cons on their own. That's what makes old maplestory fun and that's why we're on this server.

If DPM is all one cares about, he would just create a NL, since it's a common knowledge that NL can achieve highest DPM. However, many players still love the rest of the job classes that have lower DPM. So is balancing DPM rly that important?

What I believe is important is that a large number of people are on this server because of it being the maplestory that we loved, but with slight perks and improvements to rest of the game without altering the identity of individual job classes (their skills etc). Forcing 'improvements' such as 5x Strafe for MM & Critical throw for Assassin alters the identity of the job classes and familarity towards them. The real maplestory altered and attempted to 'improve' itself to beyond comprehension, that's why old players left. And most players came to this server for its familarity to the old maplestory.

Is this just the beginning to more of similar alterations to the skills of more other job classes in the future? If yes, that would be disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ellyyy

ellyyy Slime

Jun 13, 2019
    Female
    ellyyy / ahlai
    Bishop, Buccaneer
    Colors
    2. what do you mean by this? haha i genuinely don't know what point you are trying to bring across
    3. okay that is true, but realistically no bucc would have even 1 point in energy orb until level 18x is that right? let alone maxing it ;o some people have said too that snatch can cleave better in HT at some points instead of pure demolition while in trans, but i have never tried... there are just too many skills to max ): how is the dpm like on barrage+energy orb as compared to barrage+ds though? would you say its a significant difference?
    4. is it not true that buccs have (one of) the lowest dpm, even with all the iframes? ): and dont even talk about dpm45 in HT...

17. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I can release numbers at Level 180, Cider, but I'm not sure what average gear should be determined as. If someone gives me a rough estimate of "average" gear I can do a post on it

18. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I mean this is what you think, but among the higher levels it is a fact that many people compared DPM, and you get slotted into parties for important endgame content because of it. Just look around at the forums there's a lot of discussion by many long-term players about this.

To me this is one big slippery slope argument, and also 5X strafe and critical throw changes may feel "custom" to you but to me it feels completely in line with "slight improvements without altering identity of individual job classes". That's just my opinion, but that's because it's also just your opinion that this feels like it's too custom.

A pure numbers tweak is also not comparable to the changes that happened in GMS like extremely OP new jobs, cutting the selling price of NPCable items by 90%, completely shifting the way characters worked (hero attack was brandish, then that was 3rd job, now you use intrepid slash), making travel completely irrelevant, P2W elements like NX auction house and NX 4th job skill books. The list goes on.

And no this is not the beginning of similar alterations, the server has already had many many balance changes over the years to almost every class. For example, my paladin has had its hammer cooldown buffed then nerfed, and my blast range has been altered significantly. The effect is that paladins are more popular. Which helps the goal of, y'know, helping each class have its own identity and not being pure feelsbad to play while being overshadowed for endgame content because of low DPM. Same goes for adding 1 hit to Shadower assassinate and making their boomerang step function better on hills. This is because we still try to balance the server so that every job can have its fun while having an identity and role to play. Kinda like a dream version of what GMS could have been at v.62 with proper balance, development and moderation.

I hope this didn't come across as rude. It rubs me the wrong way when dev team puts in effort to devise and discuss the changes, then post their in-depth justifications with numbers on the site and its just responded to with negativity on baseless knee-jerk responses that don't actually consider the real ramifications.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    2:30 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    This is just my opinion but I think changing numbers to make some jobs a bit better is ok as long as they don't change the feel of the job. I love buccaneer, is my all time favorite job and altho they got ltos of neat buffs the core gameplay is still there, and thats what will make me keep commng back to the job. Altho yeah picking a job should go down on how fun it is for you, but some other just pick depending on dpm (even on how easy they are, like ppl playing Hero over DK or soemthing like that).

20. Igni

Igni Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    10:30 AM
    MeleeSmash
    Buccaneer
    Hello
    On the chart there's 2 graphs, one that has demolition numbers and the other with barrage and DS. Realistically at lvl 200 it'd be closer to the demo numbers since most of the time spent fighting is in transform. There's no chart for Barrage/orb though but it's difficult to determine how much time is spent using that combo on average.
    Correct (I'd recommend snatch over energy orb), but the charts was for level 200s, and it did not specify which boss/target everyone is fighting. There is a difference because the energy orb combo is stronger/faster for single target, which is the focus of the topic here. Forgot the exact numbers but it's more than 10% difference.
    Not anymore, they're roughly on par where warriors are for single target overall, realistically speaking, unless you're talking about HT where buccaneers suffer more from class specific weaknesses. Keep in mind we're talking about lvl 200 with an insane amount of funding here.

Also I'd just like to point out that there's no echo in the charts which is strange because everyone is lvl 200. :unsure: