1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Automated cumulative buy/sell order + median prices

Discussion in 'Programming' started by shot, Nov 17, 2017.

1. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    7:49 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Hey guys!
    Being a frequent FM seller myself, I've often had problems figuring out suggested prices for certain item, especially for ones that are not common. Sure, I could always ask other people in FM, Discord, guild channel, or use one of many community resources like this, but I found the price to be inconsistent and often outdated, resulting in having more questions on how I should price the item.

So I thought to myself, what if we have a system that lists all cumulative bought/sold prices that works similarly to how Steam community market works?

Now, I put the word similarly in italics to further explain that I only want small fragments of features from Steam CM to be implemented in which includes but not limited to:
    • full name of an item with corresponding images
    • displays numeric value of current median prices
    • (possibly) shows a graph of historical data on how much item was sold with quantities like this
    Notice how I did not include features like buy/sell features from Steam, which could potentially ruin the whole FM system we have right now in MapleLegends (and using Owl of Minerva).

In addition to that, I would also like to add these external feature(s) that would cater towards features that are more appropriate for MS:
    • in-game command that displays median prices for certain item
    Potential Problem(s) / Workaround(s) for issues that might arise:

-Some gears can be more expensive than others due to amount of scrolls used to upgrade an item
    Solution: if the stats of an original item is modified in any way, it can be removed as part of equation entirely.

etc...

Now, this all sounds good and dandy, but how can we achieve this?
    Well, first off, I would need a partial access to MapleLegends database to retrieve the data. I am more than willing to develop a REST API to achieve this, but I would have to have some kind of access to MySQL database for it to work properly. In addition, I can also implement in-game commands once it's completed, but again, that would be solely dependent upon how much access Legends staff members can allow me to modify.

For developing a website itself, I would need other person to implement all of its features.
    If you are interested in doing so, let me know!

TLDR
    I am willing to provide all ingredients necessary to make things happen, but I would need another person who puts them all together

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    5:49 AM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    I really like the idea! It would be convenient to have a chart similar to steam market for each item in the game that pulls data from the database and have them update in real time. It will solve a lot of the problems people have with manually-collected-data price guides.

However, it's not with some issues that we'll have to find ways to go around:

1. A gear can have various base stats. "+1 int" worth a lot less than "+3 int", so even though they are all original stats, values are very different. My suggestion is to have separate info charts for an item based on different important stats (unimportant stats such as def would be ignored), and then have the ability to allow players to look up the median prices for individual items with specific stats (more in-depth search function?).

2. Some people would put up items with troll price tags (either extremely high or low prices), and buy the items on one of their mules. That would cause the median price result to be inaccurate if it is calculated/fetched automatically by the program. A way to go about it is to let the players decide the median price themselves. In my opinion, having the sale history chart can already give people enough information on how much an item is worth.

3. OP
    OP
    shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    7:49 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    Responding to your 1, the problem with implementing in-depth function like you mentioned is that there are way too limited supplies in general to get the consistent suggested value (especially on our small player base) right now. In addition, separating unimportant stats require an extensive amount of work because then every item needs to be coded individually since every equips have their own distinctiveness.

As for 2, with my current system of implementing this feature, troll price will not be possible because it only looks on items that have been sold and bought by players.

4. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    5:49 AM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    That's true, especially in the beginning when there aren't enough data. How would you go about the stats differences on an item then? MapleF12

It is possible for people to buy their own items though. They just need two accounts. Someone could have two clients opened at the same time. One opens the shop and another one buys from the shop. MapleF3