1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Magician Beginner Mage Guide

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by fartsy, Mar 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:52 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    This guide is now outdated as a result of the February balance patch that targets beginner methods. Washing applications from the guide can now only extend up level 14 (no SP loss) or 29 (last level to job advance).

Introduction

In Legends, we have a bug called HP washing so ingrained into the server that it was accepted as a feature. Unfortunately for mages, the application of HP washing is limited due to the inefficient conversion of 30 MP to 6 HP. You see 30k HP Night Lords, but magician washing to a similar degree in NX barely exceeds 10k HP. This guide presents a new concept: the beginner mage - a hybrid mage that takes advantage of the beginner class in order to attain HP at levels never before seen by sacrificing skill points.

Theory
    Magicians gain an average of 12 HP and 23 MP upon each level up with an additional 2-20 top off from the skill Max MP Increase.
    Magicians gain an average of 8 HP per fresh wash.
    Magicians lose 30 mp and gain 6 hp per stale wash via AP reset.

Beginners gain an average of 14 HP and 11 MP upon each level up.
    Beginners gain an average of 10 HP per fresh wash.
    Beginners loses 8 mp and gains 8 hp per stale wash via AP reset.
    Both beginners and magicians can take equal advantage of MP gained via items and Maple Warrior. While both classes gain the same amount of MP, beginners edge over mages due to their favorable conversion ratio of 1 hp to 1 mp compared to 1 hp to 5 mp. Therefore, good ints and a minimum of MW20 is imperative to a successful beginner mage. As a result, a prospective mage could choose to stay a beginner, heavily wash, and then transition into a magician to take advantage of the more efficient MP to HP conversion rates available to beginners.
    The MP formula for 5 stale washes* per level x as a beginner is the following
    If x is even: Y = 2.5x -10
    If x is odd: Y = 2.5x - 9.5
    MP gained per level up is
    L = (bINT + MW + EQ)/10 truncated down
    Thus total MP gained per level is
    Y+L+11
    While stale washing is more rewarding in general, fresh washes could be the more realistic path to minimize NX burn. For those on a budget, adding fresh AP into HP while taking out from MP

*As a beginner mage, bINT always ends with a 3 or a 8 due to having 4 on every other stat. When bINT ends with 8, we place 2 fresh AP into MP and wash it out into INT before expending the rest. This step allows us to have 3 extra MP at no cost.

As an example of the harsh disparity (below) between the HP gained from beginner and magician classes, we use the example of 5 stale washes on a lv120 beginner and a magician (before job advancement) upon levelup. The beginner has 603 bINT while its corresponding magician will have 608, both with 5 unused AP points.
    120 Beginner
    The reduced formula per stale wash is bINT/10 (rounded down) -2
    Thus with 5 AP with bINT of 603, we can obtain the following:
    5 * (60 - 2) = 290 MP
    Which translates into 290 HP at a 1:1 ratio.

120 Magician
    The reduced formula per stale wash is also bINT/10 (rounded down) -2
    Thus with 5 AP with bINT of 608, we can obtain the following:
    2 * (60 -2) + 3 * (61 -2) = 293 MP
    Which translates into 58.6 HP at a 1:5 ratio.
    MW20, no items, washing using methods mentioned in the guide, fresh wash HP only after lv7.
    upload_2022-4-5_15-0-14.png
    upload_2022-4-5_14-59-32.png
    upload_2022-4-5_14-59-39.png
    There are some downsides to elongating the beginner phase. The future magician will end up permanently losing 3 SP for each level they choose to remain a beginner beyond level 14 due to a balancing decision in Jan. 2021. As a result, it is imperative to plan out your SP build and decide which skills you are willing to forgo.

Job Advancement
    upload_2022-3-19_16-31-41.png

Most of the risk with beginner mages exist between the time of character creation and 1st Job advancement. Assuming the player followed the above advice, the risk is now concentrated on job advancements and obtaining the amount of SP required. All actions are permanent, thus the player should be very mindful going forward.
    [​IMG]
    Before advancing to magician, we need to check whether the beginner is at minimum MP. The beginner can adjust stats out of MP as long as MP is above 10*x + 2. This maximizes our gains as we will be below (sometimes far below) the minimum MP of a magician. Nothing to worry about as it’ll only take a few levels back to reach above minimum MP since 1st and 2nd job advancements give 100-150 and 450-500 MP respectively.

Once we advance to the 1st job, we rush max MP increase. We will stay in 1st job for a total of 5 levels, just enough to max the skill. For every level we are in 1st job, we save all AP points until we reach lv10 max MP increase. Once the skill is maxed, we add our AP points 1 by 1 into MP and then into INT. Do not dump all AP points into MP and then all into INT as we will lose potential MP while still being under min MP.
    upload_2022-3-19_16-35-46.png
    We should end up with the following skills in order for 1st job:
    5 Improved MP Recovery
    10 Max MP Increase
    1 Energy Bolt (used for 2nd and 3rd job advancements) that is later reset into magic guard.
    upload_2022-3-19_16-36-49.png
    Upon lv200 or some level deemed satisfactory, all SP can be washed back into Magic Guard, at cost of the skill Max MP Increase. At lv200 the following should be all the 1st Job skills:
    0 Improved MP Recovery
    0 Max MP Increase
    0 Energy Bolt
    16 Magic Guard
    2nd and 3rd jobs can be adjusted to liking, but just note that the player must advance after 5 levels of their 1st job advancement. We feature 4 skill builds in the guide, for advances at 63 (bishop), 88, 95 (bishop) and 120.

It should also be noted (especially at later 1st job advancement levels) that it’s not viable to train the magician; it must be leeched.

Recommended Skill Builds
    This section will denote the skill point builds that are recommended for each mage subclass. Depending on your preference and how you intend to use your mage, there are many different options for your skill point builds.

Bishop
    Build 1 - Job advance at level 63
    1st Job
    16 Magic Guard (see past section under Job Advancement)
    2nd Job
    20 Teleport
    20 Invincible
    30 Heal
    3rd Job
    20 Elemental Resist
    20 Dispel
    20 Mystic Door
    30 Holy Symbol
    15 Summon Dragon
    30 Doom
    4th Job
    29 Maple Warrior
    30 Mana Reflect
    30 Bahamut
    30 Holy Shield
    10 Resurrection
    30 Angel Ray
    30 Genesis
    5 Hero’s Will
    For 1st Job, see past section under Job Advancement

In the 2nd Job, Bless and Holy Arrow are skipped. Contrary to popular belief, Bless is actually a useless skill.

In the 3rd Job, Shining Ray is skipped. This is completely outclassed by Genesis.

In the 4th Job, Big Bang and infinity are skipped. Big bang does provide some utility on bishop against holy resistant foes, but the gain is minor at best. If you want Big Bang, you will need to job advance 10 levels earlier.

Using the above build and MP washing all AP starting from level 19 should result in approximately 15k hp and 30k mp by level 200 without any gear. This will also cost around 8.7 million NX in total.

Bishop build 2 - job advance at level 95
    Same as build 1 except with below differences
    3rd Job
    0 Summon Dragon
    0 Doom
    1 Mystic Door
    4th Job
    0 Bahamut
    In this build we choose to sacrifice summons and Doom for higher HP. Furthermore Mystic Door to 1, since it retains the same functionality, but loses some quality of life with an extremely short timer.

Using the above build and MP washing every fresh AP starting from level 19 will result in over 20k hp and 30k mp by level 200 without any gear. This will cost well over 10 million NX.

Fire Poison and Ice Lightning
    Build 1 - Job advance at level 88
    1st Job
    2nd Job
    20 Teleport
    3rd Job
    20 Elemental Resist
    20 Seal
    30 Elemental Amplification
    20 Spell Booster
    4th Job
    29 Maple Warrior
    30 Mana Reflect
    30 Elquines / Ifrit
    30 Fire / Ice Demon
    30 Paralyze / Chain lightning
    30 Meteor / Blizzard
    5 Hero’s Will
    30 Big Bang
    Because the archmages have significantly less useful skills than bishops, they can easily afford to stay a beginner well into level 88. We skip every single 2nd Job skill except Teleport Meditate can be replaced by Wizard Elixir from NLC, and all damage dealing skills are outclassed by their 4th Job counterparts.

In the 3rd Job, we skip every damage dealing skill due to the 4th Job skills being better. There can be an argument for poison mist for FP, but it is not used in end game so we skip it.

In the 4th Job, the only skill that is skipped is Infinity, as everything else has some niche use.

Using the above build and Mp washing with every fresh AP after level 19, you can reach 19k HP and 30k MP by level 200 without any gear. This will cost around 9.7 million NX.
    Build 2 - Job advance at level 120
    1st Job
    2nd Job (MUST be level 125)
    20 Teleport
    3rd Job
    30 Elemental Amplification
    20 Spell Booster
    0 Seal
    4th Job
    29 Maple Warrior
    30 Mana Reflection
    30 Elquines
    30 Meteor Shower
    5 Fire Demon
    30 Paralyze
    5 Hero’s Will
    1 Free SP
    Note: a beginner mage MUST be leeched. Upon job advancement, your MP will likely be far below the minimum allowed as a magician.

NX Farming Strategies
    Because Beginner Mages requires an insane amount of NX you might need to farm it if you are interested in pursuing this route and don’t have a fresh account you have been voting on for 2+ years.

Event Abuse
    Please see Gia’s damp forest guide. (link) The concept is to multi-client single target attackers in order to maximize the amount of event drops you can farm per hour.

Multimage NX sweeping
    On your Beginner Mage, you can get a mount and start using it as a sweeper mule to loot items farmed by your mages. For example at Memory Lane 1, you could use 4 mages to clear the map and loot the drops with your beginner mage. Doing this strategy will yield you about 1 AP reset per hour with current NX drop rates, along with roughly 25m+ meso per hour in total compensation.

If you go super hard, it is also possible to do an octamage setup where you farm 2 channels of ML1 and use the beginner to CC and sweep both channels. If you do CC, you will need to enter the FM and come back into the map before you can loot items.

Conclusion
    Beginner mage is a powerful new strategy to min max your mages HP. If executed properly, your beginner mage will have nearly the same functionality as any normal mage, while having twice or thrice the HP. Of course, the NX cost is enormous, but this is what is required to build the optimal mage.

Special thanks to Ella for the initial idea to level a beginner to about 30 to take advantage of the differences in level up HP and my co-conspirator akashskyakashsky who is also the co-writer of the guide with me.

• Great Work x 19
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    upload_2022-3-19_16-44-28.png
    upload_2022-3-19_16-44-59.png
    upload_2022-3-19_16-45-44.png
    upload_2022-3-19_17-9-14.png
    [​IMG]
    and my fellow co-conspirator, Akash
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zswitch

zswitch Slime

Jun 2, 2021
    Male
    11:52 AM
    zswitch
    Dark Knight
  4. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Really interesting findings! I doubt any newer users can adopt this if there are nerfs to the apr farming in the events. Using the numbers you provided in the APR farming thread (16176NX farmed per hour converting APR to 3100 NX ea) it seems like the cheapest mage (63 Bish) would take ≈537 hours of straight APR farming or alternatively ≈4 years of voting, thats a lot of hours

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    10:52 AM
    Priest
    Petition to automatically change the class text from "Archmage" to "Greek God" once you pass the natural 20kHP threshold.

Also, does this means that those high lv INTginners can become meta wizards now?
    Indeed, the oddjobs were the true meta all along...

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    All NX calculations done by akashskyakashsky
    I think at a very minimum, a new player can advance at lv14 to take advantage of some HP gains while keeping all SP or job advance at an earlier level (for less HP). I think the rest of the numbers on the guide are conceived upon the idea every AP is used optimally.

Most of the cost comes from the conversion of a huge MP pool into HP. From the example from the guide at lv120 beginner & mage:
    Beginner gets 290 MP = 37 resets = 114.7k NX
    Magician gets 293 MP = 10 resets = 31k NX

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    6:52 AM
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    Pasta archmages

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    3:52 AM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    So I'm a little confused, do we just never get Magic Claw? How does someone like a Cleric train solo/contribute in PQ's(assuming Heal isn't an option for attacking)?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    You don't participate in inefficient content like PQ or solo grind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    straight up leeching

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I might have forgotten to mention to level a pure INT beginner you need leech. From my own experiences, I'm 100% useless until the mid 150s after job advancing at 120. ^__^

edit: i did get energy bolt on my final level at 125 but that's all I got til meteor

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Oh I get it now. I skipped a few key lines trying to understand the build. It's pure leech, ingenious to save on HP washing but just as tedious.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Averdant

Averdant King Slime

Feb 6, 2020
    6:52 PM
    A small reminder to anyone new to this concept and thinking of attempting it, it's not something that you can think of starting with just 3m or 4m accumulated NX.
    You HAVE to complete washing all your excess MP to HP before doing your job advance from beginner to mage.
    That means until you have the 10m+- NX, you will be an unplayable pure INT beginner and can't even function as a HS/door mule or do casual grinding/playing with poison mist (and then later reset into elemental amp & spell booster) like how Soblet has been able to self grind as a 400 base INT shadower --- miserable (?) but playable. You also cannot continue to leech your pure INT beginner beyond your planned SP loss threshold or you would lose more SPs than you originally planned to. So you'll really be doing nothing with it except hunt cards for it and using it to loot NX once you hit your planned lvl xx.

^ reason I mention is that when it comes to hyperwashed char projects (30k/30k), at least there are some options that would remain more "useful" or "playable" than others --- eg. if you aim for 30k/30k bucc/NL/paladin/marksman etc at least you are able to use it as a TL/SI mule, MU mule, SE mule or "playable" with HH or Snipe 30.
    heavy washing projects like HarmonyMagic's early washing bishop is also another example of a char that would remain playable before you hit your end-goal.
    even for 30k hp NL projects your char is playable once you hit 4 base int (actually 100-200 base int is still v playable to me) with enough excess mp to wash to 30k hp by lvl 200 while having only the default unwashed 3.x k base hp (altho it should be higher in practice because you would have hp washed a bit at early levels when your base INT is too low for efficient MP washing) at say lvl 155.

10m NX at 6.5k NX (gtop maxed streak) + 500 NX (topg, you can get up to 1k daily but realistically we're unlikely to keep up with voting twice daily every 12 hrs so we'll just leave it as 500 NX) = 7k NX per day = 1428.57 days or 3.914 years without taking into account 2x vote events/NX drops in game/AP resets from events.

I've been planning the same build since I joined in Feb 2020 and only just reached exactly 6m NX today from daily voting and using 0 NX on my lvl 120 low level leecher bs.
    Also for the NX hoarding, I do not recommend looting with your pure INT beginner. Personally what I do is make a separate character in the same account that isn't allowed to wash -- in my case I made a lvl 120 Bishop in the same account for low level leech with 60 lvls of APs in INT and 60 lvls of APs in MP. I have 30k MP w/o HB but can only 1hko GS/CDs and under leech maps with my level 1 gene (no WR WS or Skele etc).
    You can get creative with this, if you have lots of spare mesos you can also just do mw 20 + gene 30 with a MP bloodwashed bishop to high levels for grinding say ulu 2 if you're a single client grinder.
    Or make a NL (FJ + shifter + MU) to loot instead of your pure INT beginner. Do whatever you like most. It'll take a super long time before you hit 10m+- NX anyway.

An account you've been voting for 2 years+ is not going to take you there. If you want to do this, you MUST engage in very hardcore event APR farming and lots of daily NX farming (preferably multi-client mage). But IMO the biggest problem is that your pure INT beginner is completely unplayable until you reach your full accumulation of 10m+- NX, so you MUST have a lot of patience to not give up on it 1/3 of the way through if you don't have the tenacity to grind out this amount of NX/event AP resets.

sublets & harmonymagic's journal links
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/sublets-maple-journal.35978/
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...washed-bishop-journal-ign-harmonymagic.37095/

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Hi, I want to clear up some misconceptions that seem to have arisen. I started Fartsie in July 2020 along with my 30k BM with about 300-500k NX and originally intended for him to reach 18750 HP by 120 but ended up stale washing earlier than I anticipated (which is why Fartsie had more hp at 120). By no means is it necessary to reach those levels of HP, but it was a more of a proof of concept. For a couple of months I actually parked Fartsie as a dunas mule, but aside from that, it makes a decent sweeper mule should it be necessary.

In all cases, for equivalent HP and MP, HarmonyMagic's method is very traditional and even more time gated and expensive than via beginner route. The biggest factor for hyperwashing is NX efficiency as time is usually the bottleneck. For him to keep his character's "playability" while staying on track with his washing, it requires him to suicide very often as his EXP gains significantly exceed his NX. Keep in mind that beginners can trade 8 MP to 8 HP while magicians can trade 30 MP to 6 HP. A beginner player can always job advance at a later level, and in the example of job advancement at 120, a more casual approach can be to HP wash before 110 and MP wash 110-120. MP washing as a beginner from 110-120 alone can already be converted to 4k HP. Each MP wash is also cheaper as the cost to reset MP into INT is spread across more washes.

I also would argue there is no need to play on the character until it's decently ready. Given how time gated things can be, it's fine to play on another character as you did while the washing character gains NX. EXP is as well, actually a trivial number to beginner mages. Starting from around 150, I was able to train with him without issue.

Regarding playability, I started running Pink Bean on him at 182 with Pasta. I had lv7 Paralyze and lv1 Magic Guard which allowed me to tank PB touch without HB.

Here are my cash shop expenditures and a snippet of my bossing history as a beginner; I currently have 72 excess AP resets sitting in my inventory with enough NX to reach 200. I also gained about 2.5-3m NX worth of resets that weren't accounted for from cash shop history.
    upload_2022-3-20_13-18-14.png
    upload_2022-3-20_13-18-44.png
    upload_2022-3-20_13-37-55.png

15. Averdant

Averdant King Slime

Feb 6, 2020
    6:52 PM
    Sorry for not clarifying it properly, I actually think it's more efficient and would recommend people go the beginner mage route than HarmonyMagic's method if they want high HP on their mage.
    They do not have to go the full way like your char, just washing even say 8k-12k MP into HP as a beginner is already good enough.
    I also think your mage is already considered playable to me after 5 mp recovery, 10 max mp (will reset 1 SP in energy bolt back into max mp after 3rd job adv) & level 1 genesis/meteor/blizzard (a hb mule will be very useful at early stages as well) after your job advancements. The issue I have is that he's only playable after accumulating maybe 8m+ of NX/AP resets rather than the lvls he's playable at, which was the comparison I was trying to make with other hyperwash projects that can be played much earlier.

The only concern I have is for some ppl who are new to the concept and want to go for your 19k hp at level 120 to not realise how time/effort-gated it is to accumulate 10m+- NX, AND that it can't really be played at all until the full NX amount is accumulated (since they must complete washing all their excess MP to HP before doing first job advancement to take advantage of the 8 hp:8mp beginner washing ratio). The latter part is why I wanted to give them a reminder to highlight the char's full unplayability/muleability (I know you used it for looting, dunas plus it can be used for other stuff like APQ as well but you get what I mean) for a long time until it's completed if they want to go all the way to 19k hp, since it's much likelier for them to give up halfway if it's a char that has to be sidelined for the most part until it's done although even 8k-12k hp is already very decent if they gave up halfway.
    I'd highly recommend making a non-washing 2nd char in the same account as a functional (buff, leech etc) + NX looting mule for that reason. Feels less painful when you're able to do more things on that account than being a beginner until your NX accumulation is done.

Great guide! :)

16. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    100% agree, most of the NX expenditure is frontloaded. When I have time, I'll try to amend it a bit when I got time to include some approximations to maximize HP given level, starting stale wash, and job advancement without any gears.

17. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    all numbers without gear and with mw20 & subject to change if i find something wrong
    it should be read as something like mp washing starting lv10 and job advancing at 30 should net 1306 hp equivalent at lv30 (right before 1st job advance).
    HP gainable given HP washing before MP wash and MP wash from 10, 15, 20... etc.
    upload_2022-3-30_1-33-0.png
    APR used
    upload_2022-4-5_14-56-56.png
    HP per APR
    upload_2022-4-5_14-56-47.png

edit: i think numbers are wrong l0l will fix later
    edit2: fixed i think
    edit3: fixed column for lv50 job advance on 2nd and 3rd tables

• Great Work Great Work x 4
  18. dmoney514

dmoney514 Snail

Apr 2, 2022
    bro. What are the names of these map locations for job advancement?

19. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Hi!
    I personally use this guide for job advancements https://mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/new-source-job-advancement-guide.110142/ but unfortunately this guide isn't made for new players, but players with some amount of NX stored.

However for your first character, it's still more efficient to job advance 1st job at lv14 rather than 8.

20. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    • Great Work Great Work x 1