1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best class to solo Zakum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joota, Nov 4, 2021.

Best class to solo Zakum

1. Night Lord

11.3%
  2. Shadower

20.8%
  3. Bowmaster

5.7%
  4. Marksman

3.8%
  5. Corsair

21.7%
  6. Buccaneer

4.7%
  7. Paladin

8.5%
  8. Dark Knight

3.8%
  9. Hero

11.3%
  10. Arch Mage F/P

4.7%
  11. Arch Mage I/L

0.9%
  12. Bishop

2.8%
  1. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    2:45 PM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Which class do you think can clear the entire Zakum expedition the fastest?

Conditions:
    -Any attack pot
    -No mules (other than for entry requirement)

Discuss!

If you're gonna attempt it, show us the following screenshots:

START: dropped Eye of Fire with full map screen shot with visibly NO buffs and [@]time
    END: [@]time when drops occur

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:45 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    This warrants an official leaderboard with timings from people

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mard

mard Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    4:45 PM
    If I had to guess, I'd probably say corsair. Corsairs are probably the best for the bodies since they can just ignore the mobs that spawn during the body phases and have good single target dps. I wonder if their advantage during the body will trump over the fact that they can't cleave the arms nearly as well as an actual cleave though (even if they can use torpedo, I don't think it's probably worth it)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    I thought so too, but I tried solo'ed zakum as a bucc yesterday and it took me many many minutes to clear the mobs after each body. Seems like it'd be hard for sairs to even put the bullseye on.

Also I wasn't super paying attention but I kept getting stunned during first body when the Boogie mob spawned. I think they might stun if left alone?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. imsteven

imsteven Mushmom

Jul 9, 2018
    Male
    5:45 PM
    Shines
    Night Lord
    I wonder if a shad would be decent and they can meso explode on body

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Besides shadowers and meso bomb shenanigans, my second thought was paladins. Semi-strong in the arms phase with ACB and HH, and one of the strongest single-target damages out there with a high enough damage efficiency. They can also blast the top right arm, which is something others have to jump attack for. Heavens Hammer could be used during body phase to control the mobs, but I'm not sure that's even an issue if you choose to just face tank the body entirely and blast your way till the end.

Corsairs should be cycling their bird genesis to clear waves anyways. My main concern is boat breaking from the infinite 1/1s. You'd have to zerk ship the entire run which could be pretty annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mard

mard Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    4:45 PM
    I agree that while zerking ship would be annoying, I think this is a discussion about best class assuming you're attentive/trying to clear as fast as possible. I do think paladins are probably not bad, although with heaven hammer nerfed I'm not sure how good they actually are at arms.

8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The no muled buffs thing is pretty big against Corsairs, imo, and I think their avoid woes might squeeze them out as contenders with their inability to consistently dodge stuns. With that said, Bowmasters might be a strong contender due to their buff-independent nature, semi-strong avoid, and efficiency with attack pot usage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Without any mules, corsair should win without doubt because we can ignore summons and just target the main body. Bowmaster will have to deal with monsters getting in the way, whereas the monsters will shield the corsair from zakum's attacks.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that corsair without any mules would probably be able to beat any other class even with buff mules.

The warriors / cleavers would have an advantage on arms, but i think that lead would likely be diminished a bit as they struggle to deal with the arm in the top right corner where they need to jump attack to hit.

I think ranking for top 4 would be something like corsair > paladin > hero > dk

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Prove it.

11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    6:45 AM
  12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Ah, I forgot about using summons as a meatshield, which would be a huge advantage for corsairs and could allow for easy dodging of 1/1s and stuns. You'd have to recast homing beacon after each body, but you wouldn't need to clear the entire wave to do that, I reckon.

Make a Zak solo flex thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    In a solo, there are multiple factors to consider. How much you depend on outside buffs, how well you can deal with arm phase, and how helpful/harmful zak summons are to your class. For reference, the arms comprise ~45% of the total zak hp pool before factoring cancels, so keep that in mind if your best option is to single target. Likewise, the sole metric of "fast clear time" implies no restriction on cost of att pots (explicitly stated) and other "prohibitively expensive" strategies should also be considered. A 2nd tier should be established to consider effects of economically viable runs, further separated between runs with and without gelt.

Night lord- Loses se, a big deal. While it puts their damage on the level of a fully buffed hero/dk, it has no option to fight arms other than take each arm down one-by-one. And then after the arms are down, the summons will quickly overwhelm if not actively pursued. Once the summons cover the board, an nl virtually cannot deal with them alone. This is what it would take to make a boss fight an nl cannot perform in. Debatably one of the worst picks solo, but a skilled user could still complete a run.

Shadower- one of the top tiers. While direct damage isn't the greatest, it will be very close to full power due to buff independence, has the ability to speed up arms through a bit of cleaving action, and can drop mesos during weapon cancel and weave explosions into its rotation to raise their numbers. Additionally they are only minimally impacted by summons, requiring a wave clear of old spawns on body changes to prevent nates from hitting spawns instead. The biggest issue for them is probably getting sealed while charging names during cancels.

Bowmaster- likely falls into a similar single-target trap as the Night Lord. The pros: impressive single target damage, unhindered by buff dependence, albeit unhelpful on the arm phase. Capable of clearing spawns if they overwhelm with rain and phoenix is a big plus, but they still have to be dealt with quickly, as opposed to only on body shifts or not at all. This likely dampens their useful damage output, but I have no idea how much. There are certainly worse picks.

Marksman- loses si, but gains an option in pierce for arms and blind for body, and frostprey can freeze the earlier zak summons to potentially provide a quicker waveclear. No guarantees how useful of a tradeoff that is here: in fact, I give a slight nod to the bowmaster due to the presence of gelts.

Corsair- Barring those classes literally burning tons of money or hard to accrue potions, these guys should be the golden standard to compare against, even without access to party buffs. I'm not sure how many arms torpedo can hit from various positions, but using snatch vertical reach as a comparison implies it should hit enough targets to be viable. During the body, they only need to need to tag each phase once to redirect attacks and outright ignore the summons. In fact the summons then become a benefit, blocking zakum's attacks replacing them with summon touch damage, only slightly worrying about getting pushed to the boss. Tagging future bodies isn't a huge issue as torpedo can clear a path to targeting the boss. Weapon defense and avoid should be stacked to keep the boat up as long as possible, or they'll have to take down their wall to hit zakum (or do little else) if boat breaks. Clearing the summons and boat zerking the 1/1s is another strategy; I'm actually not sure how it stacks up, but they've certainly got options.

Buccaneer- has access to cleave options, is only missing si, and summons only are a minor issue between bodies if they don't get cleaned out during cancels or hit by collateral ds cleave. Any cleaving a bucc can do on arms a sair can do too, so I don't think bucc beats out sair. I guess if a run takes more than 80 minutes, other classes would be unable to reapply echo, but that does not change much. Still not a terrible pick, possibly better than archers.

Paladin- without buffs we might be talking about 1h pally, unless gelt scaling overtakes the damage retained from faster 1h weapons. HH will provide a bit of arm nuking cleave, so arms should be kept up whenever possible. There's There's a few elements to abuse during the stage, but it probably ends up on a mid-high tier cleave capability in the arms phase as a whole. It gets its benefit during body as summons are not too cumbersome and likewise are cleared out with little issue. They'll make up ground against warrior counterparts on the body.

Dark Knight- better cleaving capability similar to hero but loss of buffs will hurt them more than hero. Neither is likely to outpace pally during the body, however.

Hero-Its a dark knight without zerking requirements, and ability to go 1h to mitigate loss of si. These probably put them above dk, but not much higher. Both classes basically outright ignore summons.

Now enter the real underdogs of the fight: Mages. Since any attack pot is allowed to be used, the chad 2k tma arch mages will spend their leech monies on jiga juices or whatever. Sporting a relative buff independence only missing se and a devastating arm clearing speed with a finally respectable single target output. Is it enough to beat other buff starved classes? Probably not with a 2k tma cap and 200k damage line cap, but fun to think about nonetheless. They might fare better in a coke/cider/self buff comparison, as weapon attack pots are both more impactful and more plentiful than magic attack pots.

F/p- a bit more damage output in meteor if it isn't capping, and paralyze if mobs don't get in the way. Gonna have to big bang the later spawns as meteor will not help there.

I/L- trades a bit of single target damage (a large bit actually) for the ability to do chip damage to zakum spawns without using other attacks. Idk if it outweighs paralyze's raw damage boost, but worth mentioning. Can potentially get by without big bang as the later spawns only resist lightning, but I'd imagine big bang clears it out more effectively.

Bishop-same as above, but without ele amp and booster. I don't see this one happening.

All around ranking? I'd say either sair or maybe uber-expensive shad at the top, followed by classes like pally, bucc, bm/mm.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    [​IMG]

Not Night Lord.

• Great Work Great Work x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    added some rules if you're gonna try it :yay:

16. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Just purely theoretical and assuming you are able to keep up 2k tma the entire fight, damage cap won't be an issue as even F/P can barely hit this cap on Neutral targets and there only being one arm that is weak to Fire.

These are the damage numbers with 2k tma and 1450 int
    upload_2021-11-4_20-15-36.png upload_2021-11-4_20-16-42.png

Also, are you sure about the spawns being immune to lightning? I recall not being able to kill the blue ones with blizzard but fine with Chain lightning if they happen to fly in it and usually having to go up to Big Bang them during magic cancels. Considering most of them fly upwards it's not really an issue to leave most spawns during the run until magic cancels happen I think.

All together I definitely think F/P should comfortably win VS I/L in this aspect as the damage difference on both skills at these TMA's is a bit too much to make up for.

Attached Files:

17. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    +att buffs allowed? E.g. Concentrate?

18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The only buff I'd allow is Echo, otherwise it gives level 200s a huge advantage. Sure, the best times will probably be cleared by 200s anyways, but I wouldn't want to set the barrier for entry that high.

19. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    They aren't fully immune, but they should resist lightning iirc. I'm not sure if the residual damage would be enough to keep them at bay or just aggro them to you requiring a big bang to clear. I believe magic doesn't have the same targeting system as melee attacks, which would mean summons can interfere with damaging the main boss. I do agree fp likely beats out any possible benefit i/l could have just with stronger attacks.

20. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Fair point but at the same time it allows a lvl 200 to get an Echo from FM and use their own as soon as it runs out unless they show that the skill is on CD when beginning. either way lvl 200 would be superior