1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Anti-Leech System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aquarium, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    4:24 PM
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Please keep your calm and respect others opinions, I know this is a sensitive topic.

Hi everyone, I have a suggestion that will change the training system a lot. As of now, you don't even have to lift a finger to level up. You know what I'm talking about. Leeching. In my opinion, leeching is game-breaking.

Everyone groups up in maps where Bishops are fast at killing, together with one, buying/gaining leech. A huge part of the Maple World gets basically never explored, even where there are maps that are good for certain classes, in terms of training.

I suggest implementing a system that prevents leeching completely and instead make parties more favorable (keeping the party exp share rates at 60/40). Which will also end the Bishop wave and get people to make characters they enjoy the most and train in other maps.

But Aquarium, then Bishops will be useless?!

No, they will still be the best class in terms of mobbing and in a party where other classes now will attack more, they can be more supportive with their buffs and still be able to attack and mob.

Thank you for reading and please leave your opinions and comments. I'm not going to open a poll for now, because I want people to explain themselves why they do or don't want it that way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Anyone wanna share their opinions on this? :)

3. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    Dark Knight
    Project
    I believe we already argued this in a diff topic. Leech is here to stay. Long live Before Big Bang

• Like Like x 2
  4. Doap

Doap Mixed Golem

Jan 15, 2015
    Male
    11:24 AM
    Doap
    Hunter
    :less
  5. Shendizz

Shendizz Orange Mushroom

Dec 30, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    11:24 PM
    Jelamee
    Pirate
    Aqulia
  6. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    This thread was made while that one was ongoing, and focuses on the aspect of leech, while according to the OP in that thread you linked, he made it to raise awareness about the behaviour of Bishops, and didn't intend to turn it into a discussion about leech.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:24 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    You know nothing about the people you judge, and you know nothing about how to fairly evaluate an opinion. Grow up and then maybe we can have a real discussion.

Just going to edit this post rather than make another. So since Kimberly's last post in the other thread, alright, sure, so I believe leeching is the players' choices, and if they choose to "play" that way, fine. However, it still does seem way too easy. If leeching is possible, I still think its effectiveness should be reduced.

Suggestions here: http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/bishop-syndrome.4139/page-5#post-37378

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bulba

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    If you have a point to make, kindly say it out plainly. If you disagree, please explain why. Don't say stuff that you wouldn't write in an essay that will tick people off and cause another catfight and derail yet another thread.

OT: I support removal of the leeching system mainly because it skips the main gameplay that is training and levelling and the experience along the way. I feel that leeching should at least not be any faster than grinding on your own. If you want to leech, it should take you a longer time to level because you spend less effort.

• Like Like x 5
  9. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Bulba's got it. This thread is a suggestion, not a random flame war like the other thread was (or turned into).
    I think Kim made some good points in the other thread before closing it, though, that probably should be taken into consideration before posting here. (Take note that this thread was made before Kim closed the other one and I still think that this is discussable!)

10. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    I understand your point and suggestion completely. I just disagree with nerfing anything that had such a huge part in V62 of maplestory, I mean every patch in maplestory has something overpowered whether it would be a new class, a new training zone, new equipment stats. This is a V62 GMS-like private server and it's doing a great job at maintaining that similarity. I'm not quite sure what patch but I know there is a patch that has nerfed leeching rates later on, I would suggest you try a private server in that version if leeching is such a game breaker for you.

11. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Yeah, the patch made the party exp share rates 80/20 instead of 60/40. It did nerf the leeching system BUT it also nerfed partying, which is going the wrong way.
    Just because v62 isn't developed anymore and it has been here for a long time, we can still make it better ourselves.
    Leeching might have been a big part of v62, but it doesn't make a good part. Like, who wants a game based on not playing the game? Think about it, the game will change a lot without leeching, it will require everyone to explore all aspects and parts of the game and make it even more community-based.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I don't think it nerfed partying, did it? If overall, players receive the same total exp from killing a mob in one system or the other, it hasn't been "nerfed".

80/20 and 60/40 all still add up to 100.

13. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Yeah. But in newer patches where it's 80/20, the party member that didn't kill the monster only recieves 20% of the exp, while in v62 it recieves 40%, which makes leeching more viable in v62.

14. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    I truly don't understand why multiple people come and play a v62 server yet want the balance of high version of maple, it sounds like v83+ is what you're looking for.

That's like ordering pie then complaining its not cake :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Maybe we want the same basic gameplay experience, only without all the garbage and other OP crap added later? Hmm?

Honestly, no, it's more like... we go to a restaurant and want fresh, REAL chicken, but not any of that synthetic compressed crap they sell at McDonalds. So then we order our chicken and.. oh darn, it's a whole big chunk instead of broken up into nuggets. We ask if we can have our chicken cut into smaller pieces similar to nuggets and the other customers yell at us and say if we want that, go to McDonalds!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bulba

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    Well, not all the balance, just leeching in this case. Otherwise, v62 is better version in general for me, I wouldn't go play another server just for the absence of leech in exchange for other stuff not suiting my taste.

I've always felt that leeching is an unintentional by-product of attempting to encourage party-play with the exp split formula. I don't think they meant to design the game such that leeching at some point is far superior to levelling on your own.

• Like Like x 3
  17. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Not sure what you mean by that. v83 doesn't have anything that makes leeching less viable without destroying other good aspects of the game.

18. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    I think it's based on the player who gets to choose what they want to do, I understand you guys might not like the leech system and hence you guys probably train solo. In the other hand I leveled to 108 legit than handed it over to leeching as it was more efficient for me, but that's my play style. I don't mind staying in one map until 200 and grinding personally and as some of you guys mentioned you like exploring the world, Ok that's how you enjoy the game.. go for it. Play how you want, I liked the way @Kimberly@Kimberly said this before closing the other post. " I respect everyone's way of playing. If person A wants to play by leeching (or pay for it) than let him/her be. It was part of pre-big bang MapleStory, so its also a part of Gameplay here."

Just let it be, you are not forced to be leeched or get leeched by any means. Just party up and train while exploring the world, do what you enjoy doing. I also thought the ratio is already 60/40, not sure though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    One issue I do have is that, suppose later on I do end up partying a bishop. Like, I usually offer to party people and if by chance a bishop or another arch mage offered to party with me, I wouldn't turn it down. The problem is that even while trying to train on the same map as them legitly, it will still completely feel like leeching with that kind of exp split.

So what is the solution? Just don't party them? OnionWhatever

20. OP
    OP
    Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Yeah, my bad, the rates are already 60/40 and I said that in further posts, let me edit that in the main post.

I think you have this wrong though, removing leeching will only improve the community by forcing people to find other more efficient ways to train (e.g. parties). I prefer to not play this game solo. More like the other way around.
    And Kim is right in one way with what she said, but as Bulba said it probably was a by-effect of implementing a more community-based training system. I still don't understand how anyone can enjoy the game by not playing the game.

Also, that you say that leeching was more efficient for you just proves that I'm right in my point. It's ridiculous that not playing the game is faster than playing it.