1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Better navigation in ranking page

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kirisame, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    4:30 PM
    Kirisame
    Hero
    Touhou
    In general, the ranking system in MapleLegends is awesome.
    But I think there are some improvements can be made for the webpage.

In current webpage, if I want to know level rank of a character.
    I can search in level ranking, the first column 'Rank' shows the rank of the character.
    (But it seems incorrect. You can see a case later.)
    [​IMG]

But in other rankings, the first column 'Rank' only shows your rank in result characters, which is basically useless.
    I think its better to show the rank in all players here.
    [​IMG]

===

Sometimes I'd like to see how much progress i need to make to get 1 or 2 more higher rank.
    I have to browse the full ranking until i see my character.

With current navigation bar, it's very inefficient if I wanna go to page 1000 and see whats going on there.
    [​IMG]
    I think it's good to add 'Go to page X' function, which allows user to input the page number they want to browse.
    (I used to do it by modify the URL after go to later pages, but this seems not working anymore)

Furthermore, I suggest adding a link at the 'Rank' column in search result, which helps to find the character in the full ranking.

For example, click the '#67' here.
    [​IMG]
    will jump to this page
    [​IMG]

Also, I wonder why it shows #67 in search result, and #59 in full ranking.

===

Sorry for my bad English, hope I've made my points clear.

Thanks for your reading.

TL;DR
    1. Always show 'rank in all players' in search result. (and show the correct ranking)
    2. Add 'go to page X' function in navigation bar.
    3. Add a link in search result, which jumps to the page contains the character in full ranking.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. michaelxii

michaelxii Horny Mushroom

Oct 6, 2018
    Male
    1:30 AM
    michaelxii
    F/P Arch Mage
    California
    Another thing I've seen is that the URL doesn't update properly. When you open the ranking page, the URL appears as "https://maplelegends.com/ranking/all". If you click on page 2, it still shows as "https://maplelegends.com/ranking/all", instead of "https://maplelegends.com/ranking/all?page=2".

This gets frustrating when you click "Back" to return to the previous page. Let's say I went to the ML home page and clicked on rankings. Then, I navigated to page 50, but I wanted to go back to page 49. I hit the "back" button on browser, but it takes me back to the ML home page. This happens due to the URL not updating.

Also, is it possible to expand the ranking page to view at least 10 people per page? Clicking through rankings is tedious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    11:30 AM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Hi :)

We're aware of the ranking issue, but sadly fixing it (without generating tons of overhead per simple ranking search request) requires pretty extensive changes to the way our current ranking system works as a whole, which unfortunately neither of us on the web dev team currently has the time to implement. ;-;
    We'll try to look into it soon!
    As for URL navigation, however -- it still works just as it always did, even if it doesn't automatically show in the browser's URL bar when you navigate. Try this, for instance:
    https://maplelegends.com/ranking/all?page=100
    We can get the URL to update again, though, if that's more convenient!
    As for the last suggestion, about linking to the global search for every character -- for the same reason mentioned earlier, there's sadly no way to enable that without either a lot of overhead per simple search request, or a significant overhaul of our current ranking system; we'll try to look into it when we can. Sorry x)

Sure! As I said in my response to Kirisame, we can get the URL to update again. As for the people-per-page -- that's no problem to implement; I'll bring it up for discussion and if it's approved, apply it. :3

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FeroxAnima

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Edu applied the URL fix :heart: You can now once again see page navigation reflected in the URL & safely use the back button.
    Note, though: you'll have to hard refresh the page (Ctrl + F5) once for the changes to apply, at the moment, until we finalize some more things. c:

hi qt DraudsDrauds

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    4:30 PM
    Kirisame
    Hero
    Touhou
    Thanks for your reply FeroxAnimaFeroxAnima.
    In fact, the last suggestion is the same problem as the first one.
    If we know the rank, ((rank - 1) / people per page) + 1 will give the page number.

I guess this is how search works right now.
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM players
    WHERE ign LIKE '%search%'
    ORDER BY exp/quests/...  DESC
    LIMIT ppl_per_page
    OFFSET (page - 1) * ppl_per_page;
    And the overall rank is another SELECT as well, without the WHERE.

Means there is no field for the actual rank in the database.
    Even if there is, it will be a lot of work for the server to update it.

I see the difficulty here. Appreciate your great work :)

6. FeroxAnima

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Yup! As I said, the last suggestion is problematic for the same reason the first one is.
    And yus! A few specific design choices aside, you've hit the nail on the head with the main potential difficulty. SlimeGrin

Thanks for the suggestions and the feedback :heart:

• Like Like x 1