1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Boss Equips: Removing 'One-of-a-kind' (Feedback Thread)

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Nise, Aug 13, 2020.

Would you prefer MapleLegends with:

Poll closed Aug 21, 2020.
  1. More than 'one-of-a-kind' but untradeable boss equip/gear? (eg. zakum helmet, scarlion hat)

168 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Only 'one-of-a-kind' boss equip/gear? (eg. zakum helmet, scarlion hat)

163 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. rajuncajun

rajuncajun Orange Mushroom

Jun 20, 2015
    4:09 PM
    Beginner
    DON'T RUIN MY MUSHROOM GAME WAAAA crymush

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    5:09 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Full support. Not sure why so many are opposing this.

But m-muh nostalgia - not a legit reason lol.

Not a problem. Just NPC them and split the mesos. SlimeSmile

All this does is make the process a bit less tedious. If I were buying helms I'd already be prepared to scroll every single good stat one that drops, so it's not much of a change.

SUPPORT THIS CHANGE, FOOLS!
    :sack: M O N E Y R O C K # 1 :sack:

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    7:09 PM
    iPippy
    I think many of these sentiments have already been covered, but as is I'm inclined to vote 'no' at the moment. I believe this would become needlessly confusing and comples if it werent applied in an all or nothing fashion, so my view is of an overall sense, between zakum, scarga, cwk, and ht (nt2 when?)

I feel this change would have a negative effect on early game players trying to get a zhelm, as now they have to compete with the runners themselves for those same helm drops. Early bossers might have a zak or a scar at this point, scrolled decently but likely to want upgrades. The difficulty/risk of getting a chance to upgrade at this stage depends currently on if current helm is a zak or a scar (cant scroll zak if already using zak) and ability to harvest scarga helms. If this restriction were removed, it might help midgame players trying to scroll zak, but it increases the opportunity cost of selling the helm to another player (have to put up with the buyer, potentially delay runs while waiting for them to arrive, pot, debrief) when those helms could be used by a friendly instead. It wont raise the incentive for higher level players to run unless self scrolling/running with friends, as it still isnt profitable with this change.

Cwk would become even more of a mess with this change imo, as currently mons arent as high in demand. A lower new player count doesnt help, but players either already have a good-decent mon they dont have the guts to chaos yet, use htp (even NLs and sairs have been embracing the htp), or already have their endgame mon. If mons suddenly "reopened for business" and you could carry multiples, it's not going to make more buyers, as it's not far in they can join runs themselves to roll for loot.

If the end goal is to stimulate economy by increasing demand for helm and chaos scrolls, this change could work, but if just trying to change the level of profitability of runs, I dont think it will help.

Bossing has always been designed as a form of raw meso sink, putting resources into it for its goods and xp (hp, mp, att pots). As these costs are all lowered (people wash for cheaper pots, and who uses apples in this age?) and people are running more than ever, these methods are forcefully compared to leeching methods both in terms of xp, and profit.
    I feel selling items can be necessary to keep up in comparison to leech/summon farm methods, but the underlying issue is that we are a leech dominated server that has overshadowed bossing (always has been meme here).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. lil lean

lil lean Blue Snail

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    6:09 PM
    Night Lord
    How about the idea of adding a unique equip for krexel? My boy gets no love and this would be a new service to sell for meso income.

Alternatives: Increase the exp, drops, or something to make this boss more appealing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Romel

Romel Stone Golem

Jul 10, 2018
    Male
    oXLuffyXo
    Buccaneer
    Yonkou
    casual farming meso in fm no using mages
    Sin títul123rf1o.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Sage

Sage Slime

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Moefrog
    Cleric
    derpfam
    the problem of the economy is the oversupply of scrolls. the server has the lowest rate/price compared to other servers. even newbies have a hard time selling them. it ends up glutting their inventory and after a time decides to throw them. its a bad idea to nerf gached scrolls. the best way is making the scrolls have npc store value say 50k to 100k. that way you hit 3 birds in 1 stone. the price of scrolls go up, infuse money to the economy then solve the newbies' problem of struggling to get pots.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Make chaos drop from Drumming Bunnies. And white scrolls from HT. And you can tackle #1,2,3 together at a go since they will become ‘common’ scrolls.

Don’t flame me pls

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:09 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    So the major concerns I've been seeing are:

1. This won't minimal change won't completely reimburse potion costs for runs
    The idea was never meant to completely reimburse potion costs, it was simply meant to offset it. If you're spending 2-3 mil of pots per run, and have 0 meso generation thats 100% meso sink. If you at least get back lets say 4 helms x 500k mesos + lets say 2 NPCable equips (2x 400k mesos) divided by 6 people = 460k mesos returned per person. Thats only roughly ~80% meso sink. It's not huge in the short run, but in the long-term the meso sink effect isn't as big.

Note: this is different from overall profitability, as we're only looking at it from a raw meso into the economy vs raw mesos out of the economy. Player-to-player sales are a matter of stimulating economic activity, and that'll just occur based on supply/demand (aka basic economic principles) regardless of what we do.

2. This won't affect overall profitability of runs
    Similar thing here, it wasn't supposed to make everyone come out of a boss run with bags of mesos. It's simply trying to put less of a dent in your pocket :p

3. This won't incentivize people to run more
    Boss runs are done for the EXP, much like grinding. Even without additional incentives, people will still do it. Which is why the idea didn't ever mention incentivization :p

4. It'll cause an unnecessary concentrated demand for helmet/chaos scrolls, which might have a negative impact to the economy instead (by creating a barrier to entry for newer players)
    The affects onto chaos scrolls might be quite negative indeed, and I definitely see your point here. With helmet scrolls, I feel like rather than creating a barrier to entry, it could actually be the reverse. With a higher demand for helmet scrolls, newer players are able to farm for these scrolls at lower levels (eg. master chronos, memory monks, drakes) and earn mesos. This used to be the case for glove for attack scrolls, and getting one while training was a pretty big deal. Now, of course, the prices are a bit low and new players don't have access to this way of making mesos. Therefore, all they have as a way of making mesos on their way to lvl 50+ is grinding, getting lucky with gach, getting to CDs faster.

5. It might affect prices for player-to-player sales of bossing services (eg. Helms, HTP, etc) and yet again create a barrier to entry for newer players
    ^ valid concern, which I have nothing more to add to :p whether this is a good thing or bad thing depends on the individual opinion

6. The danger of power creep overweights the minor benefits brought about by the change
    The eventual powercreep is definitely a concern. I do think it's important to remember how hard it is to get decent stats on gear though :p as one of the player mentioned with their zak runs dropping 0 helms, it's not guaranteed to drop. If it does drop, they could also be all under-average helms. So the amount of time and effort needed to get there would still be quite long. But it does get rid of the risk significantly, and that's where the concern lies for sure.

Some alternative suggestions that I've seen are (I probably missed a few)

1. Raw meso drops from bosses
    As mentioned by akashskyakashsky this could become exploited by meso up. Also, having a guaranteed meso drop of like 2 mil+ seems like a surefire way to cause inflation. The rationale to linking it with boss equips/gear was because then there is an RNG element that can regulate the pure meso generated (aka # of helmes dropping from a run). Additionally, there is the choice of scrolling the helmet, which leads to not all of the helmets being NPCed.

2. Rather than boss gear drops, have it for boss etc drops (eg. Zakum Diamond, Scarlion foot)
    One concern here was that there are people that have been hoarding such etc drops just for funsies :p Overnight they might wake up to couple hundred mil :O

3. Increase the overall number of equips that are dropped from bosses
    I can see this being an option, but doing so would probably either mean reducing the number of non-equips (skillbooks, helms/htp) so that equips drop more often, or increasing it all across the board (which would cause an overflow to the existing surplus of skillbooks around). Perhaps this can be implemented through a third option, but I don't actually know how in-game drops work xD just theorizing myself

4. Create more viable end-game grinding spots (which would tackle problem #1 better)
    I think there are a number of decent end-game grinding spots at the moment. ToT Oblivion, petri, skele, dukus, 3-4F, 5-6F, 7F, Neo Tokyo mobs. Problem here is that pretty much with any "good" grinding spot for attackers, becomes really really busted for mages. Neo Tokyo is probably the exception to this as there's a lot of elemental resistances. However, more mobs/mesos dropped from them, usually means more gains for mages. Even more for mages with MU mules. Shaolin was originally released as the anti-mage spot, since it'll take so many pots + number of ultimates to kill the mobs. However, it ended up being busted T-T

We still look at map buffs for grinding, but just wanted to communicate just how hard it is to balance that line of "good for attackers" vs "good for mages".

5. Make bosses harder with decreased timers
    Concerns associated with this = increasing the barrier to new players. Bossing isn't just a way to earn profits, it's the primary way to gain EXP for some people/classes. Making them harder for lower level players means they won't ever progress. It also forces an elitist mentality on all players, and throws out the possibility of "fun" runs like an all bishop Zakum run or Horntail run :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:09 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Make HT drop no books unless its killed within 1 hour pog

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Averdant

Averdant King Slime

Feb 6, 2020
    When I was looking for a maplestory server to play, one of the reasons I chose maplelegends was the low rates.
    Ignoring the leeching meta (other players participating in it doesn't mean I have to), I enjoyed how I could play at my own pace and feel rewarded from my efforts while leveling up without feeling that the game was too easy.

Removing the 'one-of-a-kind' label for boss equips would make it feel like it's too easy to scroll good EQs for me.
    Context: I'm an active but fairly casual player who doesn't sell leech on a mage (I've only ever leeched friends for free), and not involved in any boss runs (cwkpq, zak, ht etc) so I don't have a steady stream of income. Majority of my EQs are mediocore, yet even someone like me feels that this would make it too easy to get EQs like a well scrolled zakum helmet.

You mentioned, and I agree that this would really be a drastic departure from the old school experience --- I'd really much rather things remain the same. It just feels very weird for me as an old school player coming back for the nostalgia (Off-Topic: I would be happy to see elemental wand penalties come back into play even tho I'm a bishop and my damage will drop, as it'll bring us back to the good old days of seeing bishops holding bladestaves & pyogo mushrooms instead of all luk wand/staves being redundant in the server. NGL this is something slightly disappointing for me in ML).

What I also don't like is how this reduces the incentive for people to bring in others (especially new players) who could use the zak helms/mons/htps that they don't need for free, because they can now just pick up the extra 'one-of-a-kind' boss equips to NPC later.
    But this may be more related to the culture of the server, rather than whether boss eqs being 'one-of-a-kind' or not affecting ppl bringing new players in to take boss equips.
    I think people here are too obsessed with money making, as can be seen from selling leech to boss run eqs.
    Back when I was playing on mapleSEA for a good number of years during the early days from 4 hour zakum runs with 3rd job chars to ranged chars wearing partial HP eqs for 7k hp after HB to survive HT's tail because nobody washed (and because it costs rl money to wash), we didn't sell zakum helmets or HTPs. Instead we took turns to loot them, and if it came to our turn again and we already have a zakum helmet/HTP we would bring in our buddies & guildies to help them get their zakum helmet/HTP.

I know several guilds here would sell zakum helms at a lower price to their guildies here, but shoutout to all the guilds (and buddy-formed boss squads) that absorbed the costs of the pots and have never taken a single meso from any of their guildies/buddies! Hope to see more of you guys around rather than mesos making squads.

If you're concerned about how to help players offset some pot costs, I think it'll be better if you can selectively increase the drop rate of equipments (but not skill books) from bosses. The pros: NPCing more equipment drops will help the squad to offset some pot costs / The cons: Prices of higher demand equipments like Red Cravens, Dragon Sleeves etc may get affected.
    Perhaps if you can increase the drop rate of just the less desired equipments ...?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Sage

Sage Slime

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Moefrog
    Cleric
    derpfam
    maplestory economies are scroll driven meaning its the main source of earning mesos per population. mesos coming from it have a big impact on the prices of every item in the market. Maplelegends is unique. setting a goal as a no vote to win server it inadvertently drowned the market of scrolls. imagine throwing away a scroll like dark 30% staff because it clogs the inventory.

instead of hard work farming scrolls, new players rely on luck in gach to be successful in the server. a way out of this problem is putting npc value for scrolls. besides de-glutting the market, it will stimulate the economy igniting from poor to middle class players and not rich getting richer. this because of the new source of money creation. from bottom to up firing up the economy.

quick question. my forum account was mano last time i looked now i'm slime again. any reason?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. jackimaru

jackimaru Red Snail

Apr 24, 2020
    Didn't read all the posts, but wouldnt all the concerns be solved by introducing etc drops of bosses (like zakum crystal) that sells for high price (same price as the helms etc). That way it wouldnt make the helm drops seem too easy.

Edit: The issue of hoarding the current etcs can be solved by introducing new boss etcs instead

13. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    4:09 PM
    2 is a non issue. People suggesting using the crystals are just spitballing, use a new etc.

Petris, skeles, and dukus don't break 10k exp (or are very close to it if they do).
    Petries groups well but the map layout is horrible, and without teleport you can regularly get locked out of a level of a map. There's a reason mages are the only ones who really grind there.
    Dukus are stunlock machines, grinding here means disabling power gaurd and only using skills that let you stunlock before they can stunlock you, which means excluding most classes. In addition the map layouts are horrible.
    Skeles have a very low spread out spawn so cleave chars can't grind there effectively, and ranged can only really do that in large groups. Hence why mages who can hit all three levels dominate the area.
    7f is the only listed grindable showlin floor for cleavers, and no listed grindable spot among showlin is effective for ranged characters.
    ToT oblivion is too spread out to grind effectively without a party, and parties generally don't occur because most people don't want to do a 10+ hour quest just to be able to grind there. In addition, due to how spread out the map is, and the fact that all the enemies are ice weak, and the only effective class at ice damage is i/l (because pali ice damage is so bad tot turns into hammer only) this again is a map that's only effective for mages.

Have you ever tried grinding at NT maps, or at least the first map?? It's the worst maple experience I've ever had.
    • Auto aggro flying enemies that do 3+k in a map with 50+ line dialog quests that you have to page through. This is literally a auto pot required quest area. So much for no vote to win (whether from having to vote for auto hp or vote to wash enough to survive).
    • Enemies are resistant to all elements. I'm sorry, this should never happen, this is bad game design. This completely nerfs classes like palis and mages. Palis literally cannot partake in some bosses because of this, or are relegated to hammer mules (krex, ppq boss post 3rd job, gpq boss, pink bean according to the library). Every enemy should be standard to at least one element. You have to see the irony of having palis be one of the most effective jobs at NT bossing but being completely nerfed at grinding there.
    • All cure hell, aka 100+ all cures per 30 mins minimum, and all cures don't affect half the statuses you get on these maps. Do you know how frustrating it is to have to press 5+ all cures in the time it takes you to kill one wave of enemies? This makes dukus feel fun to grind against since you can at least in theory counter by counter stunning first.
    • The maps themselves are horribly implemented, or at least the first one is. Pets literally cannot navigate to 90% of loot so you spend most of your time trying to loot coins etc., which is only made more frustrating by the fact that you're being constantly weakened (unable to jump).
    • Users can't grind at other maps for coins / exp / drops that might be more functional, or even access crafting npcs, until they've defeated or been carried through verga and another boss. Not everyone wants to pay money for that or has friends willing to do that for them, so they're not really able to grind effectively till 163+ when they can form a party unless they try to do it underleveled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    We've recently significantly lowered the stun duration & stun chance for the Dukus. We sadly haven't had much feedback on this however. I've heard its more bearable and also not too bad for two hitters if you're partying. But it's a very small sample size and we'd like more tbh.

Actually I beg to differ, the spaced out-ness isn't too bad for ranged attackers. It's also not too bad for warriors (DKs and heroes). Is it BETTER than shaolin? Nah. But it's still not a "terrible" area.

I have actually LOL it's honestly not that bad, but I might just be scarred too much by grinding at crimsons. The number of ACPs I've blown through grinding at crims is nowhere compared to what I did with NT. But also, same thing here where we did lower the chance of status debuffs for this first map.

For your complaints about elements the quest progressions, that's just completely on Neckson, so I won't comment on that.

15. Anon

Anon Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

May 3, 2017
    Male
    FL4K
    Corsair
    Carnival
    I don't have much to add as I think most things have been stated, but I would like to briefly address the point that having unlimited zak/scar helmets may make it too easy for scrolling.
    This is already the case, albeit in a semi-limited form. At any one time you may have a Zakum helmet, a Scar (Str) helmet, and a Scar (Dex) helmet. I know both Scar helmets have an additional 2 stats, but if this is about the usage of CS then this is arguably inconsequential. A player can have a temporary scrolled helmet and continue to work on up to 2 other helmets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Why not decrease scroll chances from gach and lower tax to remove glut and reflect playerbase/supply? If noobs get money then they can afford more expensive helm + lower tax encourages merching. If you adjust the tax later and if there's no runaway inflation then all is good. Items are only worth as much as what we think and elasticity only exists inframarginally. If, say, earring int 30s rise up to 15m, your idea of how much it's worth changes as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Also I'd like to add that, for a cleaver like me at least, the first map is actually the LEAST obnoxious NT map for grinding and that's seriously a big fucking achievement right there.

Tokyo Park has atrocious spawn, extreme width, and the most annoying status effect in the game which CANNOT be ACPed
    Akihabara PREVENTS DOWN JUMP @#@%*(#@)SJAKLJFLDKS:J I cannot even express my rage at that map properly
    Tokyo Skies has sparse mobs that fly everywhere and cause status effects.

18. joemama

joemama Red Snail

Aug 9, 2020
    1:09 AM
    Remove paywall from owl of minerwa and either make it unlimited or set up a third party site to handle trades. There fixed the market

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    2:09 AM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    I have to disagree here, lower timer means they would need more players to complete the runs, even now, if the players are too weak, no one will invite them(aka intlords).
    If not timer, at least complicate the mechanics, they would have the same amount of time but with more difficult mechanics, its really braindead how it is right now and it gets boring really fast.
    I have yet to hear a viable argument against random seduce and I would like people to share their opinion on it, I think it fixes alot of shit in HT:
    1)6 man groups won't be able to complete as easily, if at all.
    2)HT getting boring really fast because you really dont have to do anything but press one key.
    3)it would require to have at least 2 bishops in a run in the case of a bishop dying(which will probably lead to a 2nd party being created).
    4)fixes dex bucc garbage strategy by having random seduce(which will also fix the p2w part of it).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Poll is now available.

It'll be up for 7 days to see where the general consensus lays~ Please feel free to continue the discussion though ^^

• Useful Useful x 1