1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buccaneer - ST and Energy Orb & more

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lynx, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    12:48 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    ...I have no idea what to say more...so I'd just mute from now.

2. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    4:48 PM
    In that sense, your interest lies on maximising your friends' enjoyment. Since they can't finish mage before pirate, you can just keep them that way. Once they are strong enough to kill mage faster, then the next question is whether you want the NL to suffer or the Bucc to suffer. For NL to suffer, means u have NL+Bucc on mage from the start then have them equally suffer later at cleave bosses. For Bucc suffer, it will be buccs at cleave boss from the start.

3. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    11:48 AM
    iPippy
    Maybe they arent dispelling mage? That sounds far from typical :confused:

Regardless, I'd rather see some form of quantification from an archer on the tradeoff between getting hit with the sharks and repositioning vs not needing to puppet or sometimes even waste time walking over to re-buff si/se if fighting from the far side. BM probably loses more than MM does here. NL can attack in air and reposition easier in the off chance it does get hit by shark, and a strong mm capable of soloing a boss with 40m more hp while puppeting faster than 3 people should know how to jump attack to reposition well enough to mitigate losses.

Sending non-bucc range attackers to cleave sounds significantly more painful than the sharks simply due to the stuns and NLs using... avenger on cleave bosses? I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that is a more effective use of resources to let your mm "be chill" for a few minutes. There's this odd obsession with maximizing personal dpm without regard to effective use of time of the squad. That's how we get into situations like barrage and demo on cleave bosses.

Any squad that has cleave finish first is forced to sit and wait as range finishes pirate or force everyone to deal with insane iframes. That's wasted time that could have been spent allowing everyone to attack the mage. If range finishes first, that's (usually) not due to a fast pirate solo and the ranged party (including the archer) has to put up with the sharks regardless. At high levels this becomes less of an issue as the archers do get stronger, but other range also gets stronger and would likely still down mage first.

There is a good chance in many squads that the Buccaneer's options are to either: speed up the mage kill by being on range and be forced to pivot to cleave (with a significant loss in time effectiveness) to a cleave party that shouldnt really be depending on the bucc to cleave flex in the first place, or to start on cleave and be less effective than if they were on range. This second option specifically still risks speeding up cleave and leaving the cleave party stuck waiting for pirate to finish regardless (if mage were saved for last, the bucc probably should've been on it from the beginning, unless cleave REALLY needs the help). The buccaneer strength in cwk is its flexibility in placement or pivoting in case of dcs, but it is still a much better use of party resources to maximize their mage uptime.

There's a time and place for archer puppeting pirate and good reason why it is considered "meta". mostly in strong ranged duos imo (which I guess if 2 NLs + bucc = 1 mm you can possibly consider it like a duo), but people are far too eager to blindly apply a years-old meta without thinking about their squad composition to decide if its the best use of resources. If there is any chance of cleave finishing first, for example, there is a good possibility that puppet is not the play.

To seriously wish to effectively utilize a buccaneer at higher levels, is to recognize that although they can pivot to cleave when needed, they provide most of their usefulness on pinning/damaging mage and are barely passable on cleave. A disparity that can likely outweigh the benefits of avoiding sharks a little bit longer in a *normal* party.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    6:48 PM
    Beginner
    I don't know why or how this became a discussion about CWKPQ lol

5. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    5:48 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    So does all bossing content outside even points o.o perhaps a small incentive to boss would be neat

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    1:48 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    It has a 1 hour timer, what's not no enjoy?

7. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    9:48 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  8. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Funny enough all bosses in current Maple have a 30min timer. I also think if we remove cancels many bosses could go down to at least the meme 1-hour timer o.o perhaps

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WatIsDeze

WatIsDeze Horny Mushroom

May 1, 2020
    Camper
    Royals has them, not sure if it's all of them but a number of non-ST skills are useable in ST there.

10. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Would be really nice to have corkscrew blow available in ST to help mobility. I remember I got a mount for HT just so that I could cross sides faster to buff during ST...only to find out you can't even mount when transformed.

And also it would be nice to barrel...for reasons ;)

11. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Black Mage has an one hour timer

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    To clarify they have them because they are using a v0.83 client, where Neckson officially supported them. We can maybe make this happen with client mods, but that's where the difficulty comes in Nise is talking about.

13. WatIsDeze

WatIsDeze Horny Mushroom

May 1, 2020
    Camper
    Yeah fair enough, figured it wouldn't be a simple copy paste.

14. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I'd imagine the only skills that would really see any use transformed would be corkscrew for like ht or maybe grind, energy drain (technically already useable but the animation is like twice as long so it's basically unuseable as itd be a finisher move), echo, and MP recover. The latter two may not even need an animation at all, though I have no clue what the code looks like/supports. Other skills might see fringe use especially while maxing other skills, but those are the ones I think would get the most use in the end (once snatch is maxed basically).

I dont think any of these are a requirement to make the class work these days, though if I had to pick one skill to have, its MP recover for me SlimeSmile

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Time to upgrade to v 0.83

• Like Like x 1
  16. WatIsDeze

WatIsDeze Horny Mushroom

May 1, 2020
    Camper
    Ok but aesthetically speaking I most definitely want to go SUPAH SAIYAJIN without turning off 80% of my moveset.

It's just awesome, spices up the grind for like 5 seconds sometimes.

17. d3lm

d3lm Selkie Jr.

May 11, 2020
    Male
    10:48 PM
    fr, being able to use mp recover while xformed is such a cool qol change. Talk about pot cost as a shad/bucc MapleF11

18. OP
    OP
    Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    6:48 PM
    Beginner
    I want to summarize some valueable points that were mentioned here:

* For people suggesting more skills to be used during Transformations (Dragon strike,Corkscrew..) - As I've mentioned earlier,
    I think it is a very interesting design to NOT have every skill useable during ST, and taking that away would be a shame.
    I mentioned above why I think Energy Orb should be useable during ST.

*I do NOT think we need to buff Dragon strike or Snatch in any way, as they are already extremely good skills. Buffing things that are already
    very good is not a good idea for many reasons.

Suggestions that were mentioned in the comments that I do think could be considered (along with the initial ones) :
    * Decrease Energy Orb max lvl to 20 - This to allow us to max more skills by 200, as well as a "QoL" buff to the skill itself.
    * Consider a slight performance buff to Energy Orb - imo speeding up the cast a bit would be a good way to go about it.
    * Make snatch useable while jumping- this to make up for the frustrating lack of mobility during ST,as mentioned above, similar to one of the reasons why I suggested Energy Orb to be useable during ST

Also thanks everyone for all the comments !

• Like Like x 2