1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buff Mages please

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lv1crook, Sep 16, 2021.

1. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    8:30 AM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    As we all know, there are several useless skills in basically every classes arsenal. I think the existence of these various “dummy skills” is generally poor design. Even a powerful, meta-defining such as mages do not deserve these kinds of skills. Which is why my suggestion is to rework one of the earliest dummy skills available in the game: Energy bolt.

I imagine anyone reading this thread knows energy bolt as the skill that any prudent mage would just put 1 SP into and forget about. It’s worse than magic claw in every way. However, considering how similar the two skills are, there would be basically no point to buffing it as it is. Currently they both share the same niche. So here’s my suggestion:

For reference: (courtesy of Nises formulas)
    Magic claw: 810ms atk speed, 40x2 dmg

Energy bolt: 810ms atk speed, 55 dmg

Suggestion:
    Energy bolt: 690ms atk speed, 60 dmg

Generally speaking, mages have the slowest attacks in the game. Most physical attacks hover in the 600-700ms range, while the majority of mages lower job attacking spells have 810ms attack speed. This change would give energy bolt a unique spot in the mages toolkit as a fast early game attack. With this change, Energy bolt would still be around 10% weaker DPS than magic claw, but would attack 17% faster. This means if you can already reach the damage tier needed to kill a mob in 1/2 shots, energy bolt would be optimal vs magic claw. However, vs bosses and mobs that require higher dmg to kill, magic claw would still reign supreme.

The numbers can be tweaked to make it more or less powerful, but ideally energy bolt would be preferable to IL and FP mages who receive stronger second job single target skills. Magic claw would still be better for clerics who lack such options.

Pros:
    • Gives an otherwise useless skill it’s own identity
    • Noobs who max energy bolt don’t have to delete their characters
    • Faster grinding option for baby mages/single target point farmers
    • Still keeps magic claw relevant in the mage toolkit
    • Impactful gameplay change given most people create mages

Thanks for those of you who read this far. I’d appreciate your feedback below :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Creative Creative x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    5:30 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Just for reference this are the attack speeds of magic claw and energy bolt with Spell Booster.

Booster2: 720ms (-90ms)
    Booster1: 750ms (-60ms)
    Regular: 810ms

Should probably think whether or not a 60 and 90 ms reduction would still be ok then.

I still think most mages would want to go for magic claw but it seems like a buff to event farming at stuff like BLV

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    12:30 PM
    halfway
    Thief
    Noobs could always use sp resets... MapleF3
    I feel like this buff could change the early-game meta, which would in turn be confusing for new players, apart from that seems like a good suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Koneko

Koneko Orange Mushroom

Jan 21, 2021
    Female
    KonekoDxD
    Bandit, Chief Bandit
    I like this suggestion, I would like to add that I wish the Fire Poison Mage's Elemental (Magic) Composition skill could be a little more useful considering it's completely useless if I remember correctly. From what I saw, people put one SP into it to see how pretty it is to cast then forget about it, Same thing with Energy Bolt as it is now.

please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

• Like Like x 2
  5. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Energy Bolt unlocks Magic Claw to be leveled.

6. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    Ice Demon and Fire Demon need buffs.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    11:30 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Didnt GMS realize the same thing and just removed magic claw all together?

8. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    So basically you want to improve the strongest meso farming class in the game and make it better at farming HHG2 event stuff with 1v1 skills?
    Thats basically the only use I see for this.
    - there are tons and tons and tons of useless skills without an identity. This one for me personally comes very low on that list priority wise. Up there are probably magic crash, shockwave, final attack, dragon breath - just to name a few.
    - noobs who max energy bolt already don't have to delete their characters. They can either SP reset (which are very cheap for 1st job) OR they can just continue on, as for all 3 mage classes magic claw as a skill is ultimately entirely replaced by other skills. Continuing on to lvl 40 or so with energy bolt instead of magic claw is not a big deal and afterwards it never matters again.
    - mages dont need more farming options.
    - magic claw is already relevant in the toolkit.
    - yes lets buff the already broken class.

idk man, I think you are right that there are many useless skills that could be fixed to improve class 'personality' a bit, but I think energy bolt is so very low on that priority list that its laughable. Lets buff weaker classes with useless skills first maybe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Sorry to break it to you, but I have never farmed HHG1 on any of my characters, the fact that this suggestion is a buff to that is completely incidental. I am looking at this through the lens of early job and early job only. Though for the sake of argument, even with spell booster and this change, night lords and corsairs would still have distinct advantages over mages in this department. In the first place, I don’t see why it’s a problem that a class specifically designed to be good at farming is better at it in one specific, niche way.

I explained the distinct advantages this skill would have over magic claw early game in the original post, and the fact that the loss of overall damage could be tweaked by the balance team to a point they deem fitting. For example, if it dealt 65 instead of 60, it would only be around 4-5% weaker than magic claw (which personally, I think is a bit much).

I also don’t think the fact that “others skills are bad too” justifies dismissing this idea. Those are issues in their own right, and some of them I am considering making suggestions about in the future as well. At the very least, I think we can both agree that in its current state this skill is useless, and that the game would be better designed if it weren’t useless.

The reason why I specifically mentioned noobs don’t have to recreate their characters is because that is precisely what my noob friend did shortly after realizing his mistake in maxing energy bolt. New accounts have a lot to spend NX on: pets, cosmetics, inventory slots, a shop, owls, smegas, not even to mention AP resets. It is literally more time:NX efficient to just recreate your character, so why waste your NX on an digging yourself out of an early game noob trap? My suggestion aims to remove this dilemma entirely.

If you really care about rebalancing useless skills, wouldn’t this be a great first step in the right direction? I really feel like we both have the same end goal here. I simply chose this skill to suggest because it’s one of the first examples of “dummy skills” in the game and I actually had an idea for it I thought was creative and would be interesting to see in the game. I just want you to ask yourself if you should really dismiss this idea just because mages are already a powerful, functional class.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  10. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Good for you that you don't farm HHG2 ever. However, a large part of the playerbase does. I vividly remember the anniversary event or the 2020 christmas event where people were farming HHG2 on noobie alts they made for solely that purpose. Both events had the 'party points' system with the christmas event still having transferrable AP resets. Guess what noobie alts people make to farm these points on? Mages.

So, though you may not participate in that, buffing energy bolt to have a faster attack speed will result in the playerbase who does farm event currency on multiple characters gain a pretty sick buff to specifically that. Again, good for you that you don't, love that for you, but it's something you need to consider.
    Magnitude of the problem: Christmas event had both HHG2 and Purple Plains filled with 6 lvl 10~35 mages per map pretty much 24/7.

Now you seem to think that nightlords or corsairs are better for such content, which is just false. The reason people create mages is they require absolutely no funding and have no whacking when standing too close to a mob.

EDIT: Also, I would kindly ask you to stop putting words in my mouth in what I do or do not agree with you on and stop telling me what I need to 'ask myself'. Know your stuff before you come for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Maybe we just see the game differently, because I just don’t understand why exactly you think this is so bad. These players choose to play this way because of the circumstances of the event, and I don’t think it really hurts anyone else. Sure, even I think it’s silly, but it sounds like your problem moreso lies in the way the events are designed. Perhaps you should suggest a new way of playing the event if you believe it is such a problem :)

It’s not as if my opinion is due to any lack of knowledge, I talked with others and weighed all these things before making the suggestion at all. The conclusion I came to is that I don’t care if someone decides it’s fun to grind snails all day for AP resets on a mule. And rejecting this suggestion would do basically nothing in part to curb this behavior. Could I ask you to also look at this in the lens of the half year in which no events are ongoing?

• Like Like x 1
  12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Yes, but to compensate for the buff, the event drop rates of these new skills should match genesis.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  13. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Buff double stab so going sindit is no longer straight up superior :yay:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I like it, there's some clear pros and cons and some issues already brought forward could/should be adressed, but I think it could be a step in the right direction.

Curious to see what other ideas you had for "useless" skills.

There's some worth in having skills be useless and therefore obscure. For example I had a ton of fun freaking people out during LPQ by using steal "omg this rat didn't drop a pass", same thing goes for some other skills too.

On the other hand having multiple similarly viable skill builds has its merit aswell, currently it's all very cookie cutter aka boring.

15. OP
    OP
    lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Assuming they’re using maple weapons and no SI:

Bowmaster:
    330ms hurricane spam

Xbow:
    690ms normal attack

NL:
    600ms lucky 7

Shad:
    660ms lucky 7 OR
    600ms normal attack

Corsair:
    390ms double shot

Brawler:
    450ms double shot or 390ms w/SI

DK:
    660ms normal

2H sword:
    720ms normal

1H sword:
    660ms normal

1H mace:
    720ms normal

Beginner:
    660ms normal (w/fan)

Bishop:
    (As is) 810ms magic claw
    (Post suggestion) 690ms energy bolt

IL/FP:
    (As is) 720ms magic claw
    (Post suggestion) 600ms energy bolt

So really, this change wouldn’t really break mages in this regard, just more or less put them in line with other classes. They also do not have the luxury of midair casting, and have to reach 3rd job to reach 600ms. For a class based around farming, I don’t think this change is particularly alarming.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Maybe single target skills shouldn't improve your drop rate since that's counter intuitive and crappy design anyways...

17. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    It's not that single target skills improve drop rate per se, it's that multiple target skills (and hurricane) have nerfed drop rates for event balance purposes.

18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Same difference, either way it SUCKS! and causes weird balance issues and gameplay.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Koneko

Koneko Orange Mushroom

Jan 21, 2021
    Female
    KonekoDxD
    Bandit, Chief Bandit
    Wait but what about the Odd Job, 1st Job Mage Only ? Would it not be useful for them? :)

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Along with some of the skills Floris mentioned, there’s good bit of underwhelming 3rd job skills such as shadow meso or inferno which can probably use a closer look in a more traditional way. Steal is interesting too I think, you could rebalance it in a number of ways. I have thought of making it it’s own single target skill, a finisher, even a weak mobbing skill. Final attack as well definitely needs a frame data improvement, but maybe also a minor mobbing element or small damage buff.

I could go on all day about this topic, but I’d like to think through the ideas a bit more before I actually suggest them. I appreciate your curiosity though :D

• Like Like x 3