1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Other Cannot launch in a Virtual Machine (2020-05-23)

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by tisiphone, May 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tisiphone

tisiphone Blue Snail

Apr 7, 2020
    1:01 AM
    Some people are experiencing this error when trying to launch the new client (2020-05-23):

"Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine."

Up until now, I had been able to run ML successfully in VMWare, as it was the only way I found to work (on Linux and wine wasn't functioning).

Are VMs now prohibited from use? Should I be looking for a new way to launch the game (i.e. revisit getting wine to work)?

Reference bug for Windows 10 virtualization

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nguyenjuliee

nguyenjuliee Blue Snail

Apr 29, 2020
    Female
    10:01 PM
    meowjuliee
    Warrior
    I have the same issue, I ran ML using Parallels and it worked fine up until the recent patch. Extremely bummed out because I was excited to experience the 5th anniversary events.

3. Lyhed

Lyhed Red Snail

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    6:01 AM
    Since there is no LInux version I have been playing exclusively through virtual box using the free MS Edge test virtual machine offered by Microsoft (Win10 enterprise evaluation). Would love a statement from an admin so that I know whether or not I will be able to play at all

4. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    5:01 AM
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Lyhed

Lyhed Red Snail

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    6:01 AM
    Thanks for the link. I tried it before but didn't get it to work. After some fiddling and some running into some walls I managed to get it running though :)

EDIT: Broke after a reboot, oh well

EDIT 2: Using WINEDEBUG=+d3d I saw the last thing that happened what a query for display modes, so I set my monitor refresh rate to 60hz instead of the default 144, and then it worked again. Good to know

• Like Like x 1
  6. Elene26

Elene26 Snail

Apr 23, 2020
    Female
    Ellianh
    Beginner
    None
    I'm not using a VM but I'm having that error too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. lacabin

lacabin Blue Snail

Apr 2, 2020
    Female
    lacabin
    I/L Arch Mage
    I am also using a VM (Parallels, but also tried VMWare) and run into this issue as well when running Windows 10. I cannot play at all because of this, since my host machine is on MacOS Catalina.

8. HirasawaYui

HirasawaYui Snail

May 12, 2020
    1:01 PM
    I'm not using VMs but still got this error :(

9. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    6:01 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Did anyone using a virtual machine get an update or a fix on the issue?

I'm on MacOS Catalina and am running parallels. extremely bummed i can't log in. :s

10. timousercow

timousercow Snail

May 28, 2020
    Male
    According to some people on discord booting Mojave on Parallels solves the issue, but when I personally tried it you get the app running for a few seconds before closing itself (with no windows/client ever popping up). This is true for both X11 and Mac Driver display settings, and none of the fixes documented previously seem to work.

11. Magnesium

Magnesium Snail

Jul 3, 2020
    5:01 AM
    Warrior
    Yes, I would like to get an update on this from the developers. I use my second laptop with a bootable W10 USB stick to seperate the game from my base OS (this can be a pain in the ass sometimes) due to not being able to put my full trust into private servers in general and not able to trust launching a closed source application that isn't signed onto my main OS.
    I know it is stated that the client is safe, but that is only a promise made by people I do not know personally, so this is nothing personal against the developers and they seem more than helpful and ethical when it comes to their private server, but since private servers are "unofficial" in nature I believe there wouldn't be any legal culpability even if there were to be something fishy going on in the client. I'd like to emphasize that my initial judgement made about the team working on MapleLegends is that they seem to be the most trustworthy and helpful compared to other private server teams, but due to my own untrusting nature that isn't enough.

I'd like to be able to play this game on a virtual machine and I've tried most things to do so.

12. norikachi006

norikachi006 Blue Snail

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    12:01 PM
    Islander
  13. DarthLord

DarthLord Mushmom

Jun 4, 2019
    1:01 AM
    Assassin
    Did you ever get it to work using Parallels, and running MacOs Catalina as your host machine.

14. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    2:01 AM
    halfway
    Thief
    Still not able to run ML with wine? Lmk your distro, there's a better way to run ML on linux using Lutris, wine and winetricks, takes only 20 minutes.
    discord: halfway#8191

15. Healer

Healer Windraider

Apr 26, 2015
    Male
    7:01 AM
    tisiphone was last seen: Jul 18, 2020

Most of these people haven't logged in for awhile. I'm sad though they weren't able to enjoy MapleLegends.