1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Changes to Crit Throw/NL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldeh, May 23, 2020.

do you think this change will effect the casual assassin/hermit lovers gameplay experience?

1. yes

96 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. no

31 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    11:03 PM
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    Hello, i'd like to start this post off with a little intro/backstory before i begin ranting about the current changes to Crit Throw.

I've mained assassins and hermits since i was 10 years old. Its a very fun class with lots of mobility and high early game damage to make up for nonexistent or pitiful mobbing capabilities. NL's have always done high damage to bosses and that is a well known fact, but there are many drawbacks, mainly HP and the current reliance on SE to boost DPM.
    I'm no expert at math or statistics however i think i can understand basic calculations enough to speak on the following (numbers pulled from kimmy's forum on skill changes)
    NL Lvl 200 DPM base = 12685208 DPM SE = 19408367
    NL Lvl 200 Change DPM base = 13478033 DPM SE = 19408367
    [Assassin - Critical Throw] success rate: 50% >>> 25%, critical damage: 200% >>> 350% (buff to SE-less damage)
    The DPM increase to NLs without SE is roughly 6% for single targets (bossing) while SE will still provide a 43% DPS increase. Clearly still making SE required in most bossing situations so while barely increasing Nightlords damage at bosses, it will greatly handicap the consistency of grinding before you begin bossing (which most casual players will not do). to grind consistently and efficiently (especially in a party situation where your clear time matters less you harm your party's eph as well) generally a 1 shot or consistent 2 shot is required. with the cut to crit rate you'll have to either grind mobs with a lot less hp in order to 1 hit or 2 hit, or grind on your own in non meta areas like deep ludi by yourself so your extra crit damage doesnt go to waste.

the only positives i can see to this change made to critical throw is that a class who's already handicapped by low hp and bad mobbing will probably have a harder time making it up to endgame where they can boss unless they're able to afford leech all the way, effectively ruining the midgame experience. i genuinely love the grind on an assassin from 30-100/110 and i think this ruins that. not what i was looking for in an oldschool server.

thank you for taking the time to listen to me rant, and let me know if i'm looking at the stats wrong or if there's something i havent considered.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MrmrMrmrDude

MrmrMrmrDude Mano

Feb 4, 2019
    Female
    8:03 AM
    LunaXXX
    Warrior
    shrooms
    first

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    1:03 PM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    I posted this theory on discord but no harm writing again.
    Add 25% crit chance reduction to Triple Throw.
    Change Critical Throw back to 50% crit chance but keep the 350% crit dmg.
    Essentially it would solve the grinding issue before lvl120 and even make it better while retaining the balance team's idea of improving NL bossing without SE. Again it's all theory and I'm not even sure if it's possible to code crit chance reduction into TT at all in v62.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    yeah i'm not sure either, but honestly the TT reduction still wouldnt matter since most optimal bossing parties would have SE anyways. Feels like change just for the sake of change.

Also, I went out for a smoke this morning and saw a bunch of worms had crawled out onto my patio to avoid the rain, and died from exposure instead of drowning. I wondered then if i would ever find a situation where that metaphor fits. Only took 12 hours :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. HL5 Vendetta

HL5 Vendetta Orange Mushroom

Aug 27, 2015
    Male
    Venezuela
    1:03 AM
    HammerTime
    Paladin, Warrior
    Simplex
    This is all assuming they grind wich most dont I think this is a good change and doesnt affect any stage of the game cause lets be honest any person that want go be a decent NL needs to wash so they will pump stats in INT doing so they damage will be trash earlygame regardless of this change or no so let them just buy leech thats all they do anyway

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    Not everyone makes it to the endgame. I believe there still are people who play NLs and enjoy the process of slowly levelling up. They probably don't HP wash, nor expect to reach the endgame and do boss runs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CleverCookie

CleverCookie King Slime

May 28, 2017
    CleverCookie
    Night Lord
    I'm a nearly-endgame unwashed NL and I will grind until the world ends. Come at me nerf.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    10:03 PM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    I haven't made an NL till 4th job before, but how does this compare to a sair's journey to 4th job? Even though sairs have mobbing skills from 2nd job, we have a really hard time getting to 4th job. akashskyakashsky any anecdotes you can share as someone who has made both (although not NL in this server)? I believe Owen made a sair and NL in this server, but idk his forum username.

I realize it's not completely fair to compare across classes, but it still puts things in perspective.

If the new NL is harder to level than sairs pre 4th job, I can see this change putting off a lot of lower lvl NLs.

9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Corsair is so bad grinding to 4th. Ive done it once before on a different server. Leeching is so much better. I would say corsair probably has a worse time than NLs.

Anyways, this is technically a nerf to NL's consistency. I think the change could have been better implemented to buff base damage while decreasing critical damage, so that it would be easier for NL to consistently 2hit a monster.

Anyways, even then, you don't really want to count on critical hits for a 1hit / 2hit since criticals inherently are inconsistent. Ideally you want to 1/2hit without critical shots. If you end up doing some minibossing, like perhaps hunting HH or Bigfoots , the change is going to be a buff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    I have a gunslinger, and all I can say is that grinding is slow and painful. The so-called useful mobbing skill, Invisible Shot, is poor in many ways. It has poor horizontal range, hits only 3 mobs, and can't be used point blank (which is a big deal because you're using it at near point blank ranges). It's only strength, IMO, is the good vertical range that lets you snipe from above. It also feels very slow somehow.

Gunners are have level-locked ammunition, and they're the only ranged class without crit. Double Shot used to be abysmal too: 80% damage x2 hits. (Just to put this into perspective, Invisible Shot used to outdamage Double Shot on a single target.) Currently Double Shot deals 130% damage x2 hits, and even with this boost, it's still tough to grind as a gunner.

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    This was my concern exactly. I really hope they checked balancing for early-game players because lower crit reliability means lower grinding reliability--- I don't think it would be worth it for 6% damage increase if this is the case.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    Alright gamers I've had some time to talk to a lot of you on discord and have been trying my best to keep up with everyone's input and thoughts. I'm currently doing my best to patiently wait on the anniversary update to be released so what better time than now to summarize what I've heard and add to a few of my points now that I've had ample time to stew.

I do want it to be noted that when the server is up I will be testing out a few of the locations I've recently been to grinding on my last 2 hermits, mainly MP3, kid mannies and CD's. I'm curious to see if my predictions for the increased inconsistency will hold up and i genuinely hope they wont.

One thing i've noticed from discord general is there seems to be 2 types of thief enthusiasts giving input, and this is to be expected because this change impacts both groups in different ways. The two groups being endgame Nightlords who boss, and aspiring shiny eyed assassins fresh out of kpq or lpq dreaming of triple throw and flash jump! (and then also the poor unsung heroes caught in between who just refuse to give up) Obviously this change is overall a buff to Nightlords at bosses where SE isn't involved. Sweet, a damage increase so that a party made up of heavy hitting glass cannons doesn't struggle to finish the kill and reap the spoils, I'm all for that! The ambitious solo bossers who roam the isolated edges of the map hunting boss cards or unique drops to fund their next boomed claw will definitely enjoy this change I can believe it I will as well. On the other hand you have the little guys, maybe you're an unfunded first time MapleLegends player who just recently found the server during quarantine like myself, possibly you're trying out an attacker role after realizing you don't look forward to selling leech on an that arch mage you spent a month making. I've already made my thoughts on how this change will impact this group negatively in the original post so I wont even bother going over why i'm dreading this journey that these people are in the midst of/beginning.

Now, what the hell is going to happen next? Who knows, lets enjoy the event and spend the next few weeks doing our best to manage with the changes, or take advantage of the increased boss damage :) However this is where i would like to talk about what i think should or could happen in the future. A proposal so i'm not just sat here behind the monitor moaning about the balance team's work.

I see a few options and have heard from other players on what they think a fix might be, assuming this change does make early game hard, and endgame not fast enough. An increase to L7 may help with the inconsistency of either 3 shotting, or 1 shotting the mobs you're training on, but what about pq bosses? Surely this would make early game assassins incredibly overpowered with 350% crit damage. An increase to TT and reverting crit throw's stats? Guaranteed problems with that since the scaling of nightlords and WA has been brought up as an issue. Buffing avenger so your grind up to engame becomes slightly less terrible? Idk does anyone even really like avenger anyways. Obviously there's plenty of little tweaks here and there that could be made to try and increase Nightlords boss damage while relieving them of their crippling SE addiction, and maybe there's a balance somewhere that makes the journey from maple island a little better than that of a corsair (also i want to say i feel for you pirates i really do) Here's my take on the situation even if you don't want to hear it. Why change nightlords? why change Crit throw? Seriously.... why change it when these tiny little tweaks involving 1/4 and 50% increases and decreases cause such a small change on the 4th job side of things. Changes to damage outputs and crit rates could possibly lead to power creep and have massive negative impacts on the server. (maybe not, maybe i'm overreacting we'll see) Why make drastic changes to the first 200 hours of playtime on a character that most people may not ever join a bossing party on?

I spoke to a few people who mentioned that it seems ridiculous to have multiple high level Nightlords in a party, and still have the run go sour because the SE disconnected or died. I do think that's definitely unfortunate given the daily entries into the boss stages. Should it be completely avoidable in my opinion? absolutely not. I'm going to use Zakum as an example here since its fairly universal. If your bishop dies or dc's and isn't around to res the buyer should they lose focus, unfortunate sure, unacceptable? absolutely not. If your main party DPS buff dies or disconnects of course it should scuff the run. Absolutely. If you want your boss loot handed to you by the spoonful there's a regular version of this game where nobody hangs out together and these bosses that we band together to defeat are soloable 15 hours into the server. MapleLegends is an oldschool server where we have the privilege of enjoying a nostalgic and social version of a game that we all gave up on a while ago. Parties should need to have a composition of support and attackers to be successful, that makes sense to me.

I thought about how else to increase nightlords damage should that be the end goal here and honestly couldnt think of anything that wouldnt drastically cause issues somewhere else. However, maybe the balance team could look into certain aspects of the boss fight that cause the run to slow down. I recently bought a Zakum helmet on my intlord and the first run took 52 minutes because Zakum would just not stop using weapon cancel. No damage buff to the attackers, nor SE sped the run up because there was 20 minutes give or take where no damage could be dealt. Seems to me small things like the rate of weapon cancel or perhaps the time the cancel lasts could make the runs a lot more consistent, and especially for speedrunning parties, having 2 runs a day ruined by a moody boss. The HP thresholds would still be the same, your damage to kill the boss would still be required, but the overall time of the run would drastically drop if mechanics like cancels were looked into, without having to make the boss any easier to kill.

that's probably all i've got for today, we'll see. I'll definitely be making another comment once i've been able to spend a few hours at my favorite grinding locations testing out the new skill changes.
    thanks to anyone who took the time to read or give input to this post :) happy mapling

13. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    The critical throw change increases assassin/hermit's (no SE) damage with the same proportional magnitude as TT's, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    while decreasing their ability to consistently measure the amount of L7s they need to throw on the chosen grinding mob to kill it (generally 1 shot or a consistent 2 shot) given the current 50% crit rate its a pretty sure shot that you can rely on. With lower crit rate it will become much more rng based meaning you'll either be 1 shotting or 3 shotting depending on your rng, which could quickly see you overwhelmed with mobs stuck slapping them with your claw for 1s.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    7:03 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    This is a pretty tough one. It definitely makes the early stages harder. But I also think that you should not have best of both worlds. F/P mages for example are a lot more difficult to get to 50+ Than most classes. But those tedious hours will be made up for later in game. Inconsistent damage is very unpleasing. I agree with that, so 'fixing' the NL meta isn't an easy task to do.

My idea is that crit should never have been adjusted. I think NL's do need to be nerfed. This because NL's win at almost every situation 135+. Not because of the damage, but because of the avoidability. While corsairs deal more damage, they get knocked back all the time which results in lower DPM. So what I think needs to be done is reset the Critical strike to it's normal state but instead have other changes.

Possiblity 1. Hard nerf Shadow shifter, but I'm personally not a fan of this because that ruins the purpose Night Lords.
    Possbility 2. Nerf triple throw by 5 to 15%. I'm a fan of this because this won't ''ruin'' mid-game and doesn't take a way the purpose of SE. This also gives room to buff avenger.

Nightlords need a nerf, no questions asked. But adjusting the crit was a poor move.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    honestly that doesn't sound like a bad solution at all, there's just one thing. This wasn't meant to be a nerf this was actually meant to help NLs, which seems even more ridiculous given the changes that happened xD

17. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    7:03 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Incosistent damage never helps. I understand the thought process but like you mentioned, it will be very RNG which ''could'' help versus bosses, but definitely not for a e.g. 60 assassin that tries to grind at GS2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    I ran a simple 10k sample monte-carlo simulating the "number of kills" on mobs with certain of HP, assuming each uncrit lucky 7 line does 1000-2000, and this is what I got back:
    upload_2020-5-23_10-15-26.png

As you can see, pre-change lucky 7 only scores more kills on monsters that are generally 1HKOs with 1 crit, and at anything higher post-change lucky 7 actually scores more kills on average. And by the time when the grind actually kicks in, assassins generally want to train on things that take multiple hits to kill anyways (going to amplifiers/mannies/windraiders at around level 60).

• Like Like x 1
  19. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    6:03 AM
    I honestly think ths change is just completely stupid. Not understanding why they made it.

Night Lords don't need any kind of buff as they are already very strong against bosses.
    The huge critical hit just seems stupid and the low critical chance could hurt.

My hermit mostly just gets exp from Headless Horseman, so is this change going to make it harder to knock him back (which I can do with every L7 SP I throw)? If so, then god no.

There really needs to be thought and understanding put into these changes before they are made official. Skills should not be changed too much (like 5 hit strafe WTF).
    Revert it back and leave the class as is. (also stop buffing corsair's ship it's op as is, too, tho rapid fire should be buffed.)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  20. OP
    OP
    goldeh

goldeh Red Snail

Apr 12, 2020
    goldehcb
    Hermit, Shadower
    averages are obviously going to be higher since there's an overall increase to damage by 6% post change.