1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

(Community Poll) OPTION for Boat Ride Skipping

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Hiyo, Mar 20, 2017.

Should skipping OPTION of boat rides be a feature in MapleLegends? (you can still ride the boat)

Poll closed Mar 27, 2017.
  1. No! Boats should remain mandatory ONLY

111 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes! An option to skip would be nice

74 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes! An option to skip would be nice, but make sure it's expensive

37 vote(s)
    16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MangaFox156

MangaFox156 Dark Stone Golem

Mar 12, 2017
    Female
    USA
    4:46 AM
    Zenido/Meruni
    Demure
    I have mixed feelings about the boat rides. They are nostalgic and can be fun, but they also take up a lot of time. I think the boat rides can stay, but give an option to skip the boat rides incase people wanna just get to the destination already.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    10:46 AM
    There's a quest that involves you taking a boat from Ellinia to Orbis to break a box in the cabin.

• Like Like x 4
  3. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    2:46 AM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    You can take this point of view and say that part of the nostalgia is that it takes a lot of time SlimeWink

4. nam430

nam430 Red Snail

Mar 9, 2017
    3:46 AM
    NamNam
    Assassin
    Lame
    For the love of god do not remove boat rides

• Like Like x 3
  5. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    They aren't.

6. Meepy

Meepy Mixed Golem

May 26, 2015
    Female
    Singapore
    4:46 PM
    Svets
    Bishop
    Halycon
    Why do people keep thinking they're going to remove boat rides. For god sake read the damn poll properly. The boat ride is NOT going to be removed ! They're just thinking if they should add a extra option of skipping boat rides so it doesnt get so tedious for some people !

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    4:46 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I voted for an option to skip, as a few people have already mentioned that some scenarios like rushing to another area to a boss run etc. However, i then found myself enjoying ship rides as it gives me the time to chat with players and just relax for that 5~10 mins. Perhaps i still feel a bit pampered as i've been used to be able to skip rides and teleport from one place to another. True nostalgia is being able to live the old days, and if you ask me, i walked everywhere in the past.

I'd like to take back my vote now LMAO

• Like Like x 3
  8. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    11:46 AM
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    Y U TAK ME BOAT
    LEVE ME BOAT ALOOON

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fsstsst

Fsstsst Snail

Sep 5, 2015
    Male
    1:46 AM
    In my opinion, boat rides should remain mandatory not just for the nostalgia or for remaining 'GMS-like,' but because it holds the maple world together and represents what I came to Legends for.

Adding a 'skip' feature trivializes the distance between continents, which can only be illustrated through boat rides. You can't tell how far away you are unless you put in the time and effort to get there; it's not like you can see Perion's mountains from Ludi, it's a 2D game.

Imagine if there was a portal going straight from Ellinia to Orbis - that's pretty much what skipping boat rides implies, because having continental stations wouldn't serve any purpose but to add two more maps between where you are and where you want to go (and maybe an arbitrary fee). Eliminating boat rides would lump together all the maps in the maple universe in one big mess, making opposite ends of the world feel too close together and accentuating how limited the content in our version really is.

While one could argue that immersion isn't important at all in Maplestory, I think boat rides are still important in distinguishing Legends from other servers which are more 'private server-like.' What breaks the barrier between 'private server-like' and 'authentic' GMS at the time, at least for me, is ultimately a matter of convenience. Private servers can multiply rates like crazy and hand out free NX like candy. I've played Legends for a while now and if not for the low population, I wouldn't even remember it's a private server. I'm exaggerating, but the server has definitely hit a kind of sweet spot.

At this point in Legends' development, clicking on an NPC to get from Orbis to Ludi would, to me, infringe on the convenience that Legends has so far refused to give to the player. It feels so contrary to the founding principles of the server. Maybe if boat rides were removed since launch, like the FM teleport which has always felt strangely natural, it might have snuck by. But it's too late now. I could adapt, but if I can help prevent it then I will try.

TL;DR: Keep boat rides, and add a boat ride from Maple Island to Vic. (LOL jk)

• Like Like x 9
  10. Isaac

Isaac Selkie Jr.

Sep 15, 2015
    Male
    Vancouver
    1:46 AM
    Goblin
    Mafia
    what a piece of fucking art

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well technically there is a portal going directly from Ellinia to Leafre....

and it only costs 30k.

• Like Like x 3
  12. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    Yea but it uses MAGIC

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    What does that even mean?

We're not only hand-waving the long voyage from Orbis to Ellinia, but then it turns out to get to Leafre, Orbis is just a pitstop along the way!

Perhaps if we really really do not want any skip at all besides teleport rocks, we should also consider removing the Leafre teleporter.

14. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:46 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Let's remove all shortcuts and teleports beside boat cos it's not nostalgic and we love travelling! MapleF5

magical portal between leafre and elinia is evil thing. it uses MAGIC?!
    dolphin taxi from aqua, to KFT and mu lung isn't necessary, cos we can walk to there
    orbis tower and eos tower should be voyage road, instead of tele-rocking. climb up u lazyass!
    shortcut between omega sector and nautilus isn't necessary cos you can take boat 2 times and jumping down 100 floors, you can get there anyway
    quest for lvl below 29, which teleports you to nihal desert from perion, should be removed
    nihal desert NPC who teleports you to vic, also.
    ludibrium capsule, omega sector capsule, NLC scrolls, DMC scrolls, each vic town scrolls, taxi, and VIP taxi....all no need. we can walk.

[​IMG]

Dude....it's out of topic...

LF>door

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Hyperbole much?

It's not off topic. This is a similar travel comparison people need to realize exists already.

16. Krauser94

Krauser94 Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Krauser94
    Shadower
    Nebula
    I think that there are enough shortcuts in-game to not suffer that amount of boats (CozyCozy listed a huge amount just now).

I barely count as an opinion because my boat trip is start jumping the whole ride (idk but i enjoy it) and also chatting if i have the luck to find someone XD.

Also, having the option to purchase Tele rocks is always there, so if you are in a boss rush, just make sure to have some extra nx for emergencies as i do (and the location saved if there is no one there).

As someone said before, and i agree, is the idea of the "last minute", that moment when you see the boat, but you cant go in, that is the real pain o.o but for the boats, im ok with them being the way they are.

17. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    I mean that this is a joke.

18. Benizakura

Benizakura Mushmom

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    new zealand, wellington
    I/L Wizard
    You're right, DirtyFan2 here btw ! :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    6:46 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    Tbh the only boat we need to be skippable is the Leafre ship. If you're using the other ships for the purpose of travel rather than nostalgia or for taking a break, you're doing it wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Benizakura

Benizakura Mushmom

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    new zealand, wellington
    I/L Wizard
    Travelling is and always was very nostalgic to me. I would delete every teleport that there is tbh, like the guy said above me, you meet more players while taking a big walk. It's like WoW vanilla vs WoW wrath of the lich king.. in vanilla you meet a lot of players during your travelling to different places, in wrath everyone could just fly and shit...

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.