1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion of art selling exemption in T&C

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PumpkinJuice, Feb 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. PumpkinJuice

PumpkinJuice Orange Mushroom

Nov 26, 2022
    1:30 PM
    This is in regards to the following terms and conditions.

I know this has been discussed before but from what I know, it never had a proper conclusion. Many people felt that there should not be an exception to the RWT rule for arts, and the arguments to which why it should be allow in general is:

It is a culture in MapleLegends which has a positive vibe to the server, with trivial rewards for it.

First I would like to talk about the rewards for it. People have said that mesos earned with art hardly contributes to progression, which I will have to disagree.

MapleRoyals disallow art selling, but if small donations are made to the artist, it is allowed. From what I know, the donation amount is around 20-40m. It is a trivial amount of meso that shows appreciation to the artist, which is true.

To earn 20m in MapleRoyals, you just need to create a new account, level up to 15, vote, sell AP resets at around 10m each, and you can easily make that kind of meso. But for Legends, it is different due to the fact that we have different economy. A complete newbie is just unable to earn these amount of mesos so easily, unless insane luck is involved and luck is not a stable factor.

Leeching in royals is around 70/140m per hour(roughly what I remember), whereas legends are at like 6/12m per hour. Just base on this alone can tell us the value of mesos, telling us the drastic difference in the values of the currency we have, and what is determined to be trivial or not. 250m in royals gets you few levels, but 250m in legends can bring you from level 1 to 120. The values are just different.

Recently, there are simple arts being sold for 50-100m per piece, arts which if I am blunt with it, should not take more than an hour to produce, as I have seen many people producing similar things in a much shorter period of time. In no way any players at any stages will think that this amount of meso is a small amount, even end-game players. A recent post by akashskyakashsky on a pink bean recruitment thread suggested this

What is Pink Bean? A boss that is suppose to be the current end game boss that takes years of effort of scrolling, grinding, washing to be able to join the run, which nets you a profit of 65m to 94m based on number of players. And yet, an art can be 100m which takes no in-game effort at all, rather an external effort, to produce a profit that exceeds an end game bossing profit.

With all the details I just presented, I want to emphasize on this point:

A complete newbie is able to achieve this amount of progression with an external skillset not related to MapleLegends, and this skillset is something not everybody will have, which is an unfair advantage.

But why many players believe the mesos in art selling are trivial?

Because this server is up for 7 years. The wealth gap is huge, on one end players are not even able to afford potions, to the other end where players can scroll a perfect weapon multiple times over. There are players who can easily afford that amount of meso, for some art they deemed to be a special one time thing to post on their forums. But because of this, players might not see the huge amount of mesos that are traded.

But you can't expect artists to draw pictures for you for free?

Yes. It should be free. You might start thinking all sorts of bad things of me like "what is this guy saying, he wants free lunch?", but isn't this game suppose to be for the community?

Many amazing guides that are created have aided me, and I'm sure many others as well. But the guide creators most certainly do not receive any kind of monetary rewards. When they spend hours writing the guide, does a moment come when they believe they need to receive meso gains else they will stop writing it? When players ask question related to the guide, do they PM the player and ask them for meso for further clarification? No, yet they continue writing the guide.

LinLin has made great videos, video taking 10 months of preparation. That video had a comment which I agree with

The amount of effort making that video is tremendous, and yet money will not be made due to the content being niche. But despite not making any money, he still spends all the effort continuing to make videos.

So why all the effort without making gains? Isn't it because they love the game? They love the community? They want to produce contents that will make players enjoy the game even more? They certainly don't expect any monetary gains while contributing to the server, so why should art be any different?

In royals, art sales are prohibited, and even so there are still players drawing for multiple reasons. Some wants to contribute to the server, some wants to showoff their arts, some wants to practice.

So even if art sales are now prohibited, I don't believe the drawing will now suddenly stopped completely. People who are passionate about drawing will continue to draw regardless. People who wants to see others happiness will continue to draw regardless. If they stopped because no more meso can be made, isn't it more due to monetary gains instead of passion? How can this contribute to a positive vibe if the main motive is to earn meso?

What are your thoughts? Should art selling be allowed to continue? Or stopped? My believe is that progression in game should only be achievable in game. Nothing outside of the game should be able to affect the progressions of ingame achievements.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
  2. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    11:30 PM
    Corsair
    Pay ur artists kids!

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. soulreload

soulreload Horny Mushroom

Nov 15, 2022
    Male
    2:30 AM
    Deschain
    Outlaw
    NewLeaf
    I mean... If a lot of effort is being put into avoiding RWT, i dont think having exceptions like this makes sense... In the end, if someone wants to transfer mesos, they will end up using art for It.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    10:30 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I can't actually think of any end-game players who used art to catapult themselves into the end-game. Even if one wanted to, they'd run out of customers long before they would ever reach that point, especially with all of the cases of free art done for their friends. Frankly, of all of the forum artists I've been around they generally don't care about making fast, efficient in-game progress and more just want to play comfortably. It all makes the whole argument sound based on theory more than the actual reality of the current art market on here. Even where there were issues with abuse of the system they tended to be adequately dealt with, as in the cases against AI generated art on here. There is heavy scrutiny done within the system by staff, and if there were any issues the policy likely would have been changed by now. The overwhelming majority of art on here is done without trying to take advantage of the system or abuse it in any way, so theoretical problems just don't hold much merit to the reality at hand.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    1:30 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Back when i originally started playing legends, the sister of a friend of mine started playing casually and found out about art sales being a way to produce meso. Long story short, by lvl 50s she already had over 1B ( i dont recall the exact amount) and that was around the time of 70m white scrolls. These drawings didn't take long at all and the price was around 25-35m iirc. I'm not sure how active people currently are in buying art but back then it was way more common practice and did feel somewhat unfair at times.

With that being said, while i do agree that having an IRL skillset translates into meso production is unfair, i doubt it realistically poses an issue right now since the decreased activity on art purchases. Inherently it's definitely unfair though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:30 AM
    Moderator Post
    Personally, most of the people I see selling art for mesos are new to the game, and then also end up quitting anyway because they are casual and find out that mesos isn't everything. Basically, as Alyosha said I have not seen anyone doing this in a way that badly affects the economy or meta of the game. Drawing takes time, and once you reach end game I don't really see it being realistic of doing art and daily activities. And yeah, we are also moderating everything that goes on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    It's perfectly reasonable to be afraid of the multiart meta. Not all of us can partake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Art is more valuable than mesos.

When the server inevitably closes down the road, my mesos and gears won’t be coming with me, but at least I’ll have my character portraits to remember them by and some fond memories.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Some people just like to draw, some like to write guides, some like to troll and point and laugh at people for whatever reason - should the person thats being bullied get paid with mesos for "CrEaTiNg CoMeDy"? If so, then I'd probably have a little over ten billion mesos.
    Lin makes videos because he loves to make videos. Youtube has terminated numerous accounts because of DMCA copyrights from DAZIUNDA, LLC. but that has NEVER stopped him from making another channel and restarting it over again. Thats just what Lin does, and I find it amazing. Shrugs.

MapleRoyals is MapleRoyals, MapleLegends is MapleLegends. They both are their own servers, and the head Admin gets to choose how he/she/they want to run and do things.

I 110% believe that art selling should continue, I've seen some stickman-style art that make mesos, meme-style art that make mesos, multi-colored art sort of like "stained glass" at churches have that make mesos, there are anime-style chibi art that make mesos.

The styles are endless, but at the end of the day like what -ovv said
    So all in all it doesn't really matter how MapleStory private servers run things, when it comes down to RWT/RMT for MapleLegends art, the rule is to make it open to the public so staff can see that its not just some random trade for like a few hundred mil and be like "no no no, ThAt'S RwT ThAt'S a No nO BaNnEd" teehee

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    So what you're saying is that i shoooould get paid? MapleF14 ok who wants an epic sigma phonk edit of their character killing stuff i'll make you look cool for a 30 second vid for some mezoz

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I have yet to see an expensive art shop that survives more than like 10 commissions before getting bored of the game or burnt out. I’d like to see some actual examples of significant abuse instead of of on-paper speculation.

13. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:30 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i am impressed in how u always get the point.

IMO, i know alot of works thats can be usefull in game, but only art is allowed, if it should be? again, IMO no..
    drawing can be laborious? More than Farm? Maybe.. but its "bad luck" from who do it

14. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Did this person even end up deliver? Seems there's orders but then no images in there
    upload_2023-2-15_22-56-24.png

15. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I have no idea, I just picked the most extreme case. While I do see art selling as a positive overall, the people making 100m+, especially off a single commission, makes me start to question just how healthy this is as an anti rwt server, especially when you can sell art that you didn’t even create yourself?

You’re asking me if something was delivered? Aren’t there staff members that monitor these transactions?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Should this be the main consideration? This is like saying RWTs should not be bannable unless the person used it to reach endgame.

50m makes a huge difference to many players, especially players who started the game. An unfair advantage is an unfair advantge.

OP made salient points about the reasonableness of allowing this particular kind of RWT. Whether anybody has abused it YET should not be relevant.

17. SinclairJ

SinclairJ Master Chronos

Dec 8, 2020
    Chief Bandit
    i was scammed for art a while ago and nothing is/could be done, and like you said you don’t even have to draw on your own. Can see where you go with a rwt loophole here.. in particular when the issue is that a real life thing is a privilege ingame-wether paying someone for art is worth it for the mesos is also not that relevant I think. I don’t think it does a lot of harm, but an unfair playing field and possible loopholes just isn’t fun. I think art is fun and it brings some player interaction but it doesn’t seem very fitting for this server. If players are willing to write guides, help each other, and even create content for free; artists wouldn’t just disappear entirely if mesos weren’t involved. (Sorry for format wrote on phone) (in bed) (with a female)

• Like Like x 2
  18. SinclairJ

SinclairJ Master Chronos

Dec 8, 2020
    Chief Bandit
    Does that really matter though? I’m a seasoned mapler taking month long breaks and returning like many, if I could cough up a easy 500m now I’d have a gamechanging amount of mesos to enjoy instead of working for it, I already know I’m not going to play until I reach a perfect wep and reach PB so I’m not going to make a HB mule MU mule HS mule and a archmage;it’s silly that a real life skill (or rwt) can change the game for someone like that, even if it’s not a lot of mesos. - reminder that a streamer actually got RWT banned because they bought a follower for 150k.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I was just wondering if you knew because you happened to link exactly that thread, and it happened to be months old. Asking you since it's part of the discussion saves me from having to ask behind scenes about it and doing log digging. I already got my answer anyway right now, so that's good :p

Anyway, this topic comes back up once in a while. My point of post #1 remains, and I have not seen anyone "abuse" it. Sometimes concerns come up (ex: Ai) but we are quick to take care of it. Also, partially why the #art-ai section was added recently on the discord itself.

• Friendly Friendly x 1