1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows XP/Vista/7 dwmapi.dll Missing Error

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Annolis, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    2:17 AM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I tried to install MapleLegends on my XP machines, but they can't because there's a dwmapi.dll missing. I've tried reinstalling, I've tried grabbing the .dll off of my Win10 machine, but the XP machine claims it is not a proper Windows Image and rejects it.

Looking online, most websites suggest NOT trying to download this .dll from a provider because the risk of malware is exceptionally high. Do you have the .dll that is WinXP compatible that people can download?

[EDIT] I tried copying the .dll from my Win7 machine, but the error message there says "The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll" and then proceeded to tell me that the dwmapi.dll could not be found and that I need to reinstall. I've tried reinstalling already.

2. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    KimberlyKimberly does this mean there is no fix for this?

3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:17 AM
    Moderator Post
    Nobody uses XP anymore. I don't know if there's solutions. Try download the dll and toss it in the ML folder or something.

4. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    Maybe one of your tech people can help?

I downloaded the .dll and now it says "The procedure entry point __CxxFrameHanlder3 could not be locate din the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll." Followed by the error "Cannot find dwmapi.dll"

I looked for answers to this online, but I don't know if any of the solutions are applicable to this situation - nor am I tech savvy enough to know what I'm doing. :unsure:

5. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    5:17 PM
    Sorry for the late reply, are you still facing issues?

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
  7. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    Is there anything that can be done?

8. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    5:17 PM
    I'm not a very tech person myself so I've bumped this to dev and the rest of the staff to see if they can troubleshoot this.

9. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    10:17 AM
    Hi Annolis.

When you downloaded the dll and/or when you copied it from your win7 machine did you register the dll?

Assuming you put it into C:\Windows\System32 (which I believe is where it should go) you'll want to open a run box (windows key + R) and then type in the following command:
    regsrv32 "C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll

If you put it somewhere else, eg the ML folder, please move it to that folder and then register it. That should hopefully sort it out. If the dll from win7 doesn't work, then I would just assume that the dll isn't compatible with XP and by extension the game may not be. There may be a doctored version of it you can find online that will work with XP but as you've previously mentioned, you run the risk of malware, not to mention obscure bugs caused by the dll not being the actual dll we had when developing/testing the client.

If you have trouble following any of this, message me on discord and I'll help as best I can