1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ensuring new players know ToS: Maple Island Quizzes?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thedgafclub, Jan 17, 2021.

Should ToS questions be included in Maple Island quizzes?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, they should be shown elsewhere (please provide suggestions)

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No, this is unnecessary

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    11:10 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Very readable post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:10 AM
    Moderator Post
    It is already presented when you install the game and login for the first time (the ToS that you are forced to scroll through before pressing the OK button). You can throw everything at people, even the notes we've recently added, but there are still people out there making mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    4:10 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    in that case, it might be good to grant players ways to punish other players for not following written rules, such as map owner.

for eg, execute a custom command as mapblock, and turns them into undispellable dragons (if dispelled, will send them to town)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    4:10 AM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I may be incorrect but when I last looked at it, it was only the ToS and didn't give a list of commands. I don't know how to get it to pop up again to check. If it is there then my bad.

If it isn't (and even if it is) I would still suggest adding the commands somewhere that they can view them. Even just saying type !commands to see all commands you can do such as map owner, track exp etc. Generally a new player who isn't even logged in isn't likely to read huge walls of text before starting the game and adding commands there isn't the best place in my opinion.

Adding it after maple island in my opinion is a better location, as they have now invested a tiny bit of time, they're starting to have fun and play the game, and are more likely to be receptive.

Most of the people who were knew and intruded on a map I was holding assumed because they were on a different platform and not attacking my mobs that they were fine. They were not aware of mapownership at all.

In the end it is just a suggestion, I feel like informing of commands including mapownership separate from ToS early in the game could have prevented unnecessary issues with some new users. It is never going to be a cure all. I would have liked to have known about it early when I started.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    1:10 AM
    I guess this is a "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." kind of situation, but we should find a way because sometimes it's possible when this occurs they just quit playing, and thats just sad.

Keeping a player playing your game would be the best option, even if theres other servers. The main thing every game should do is try to keep their players and have them keep their enjoyment intact, even if the player would get burned out for a bit they might still return to play sooner or later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    8:10 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    What about a language prompt that changes the dialog language? then you can have branching options tailored to the message you want to convey.

Yeah it's custom but i don't doubt Rain's multicultural diversity and willingness to help others.

Alternatively I've found that the notes you get when you pull a rare gacha a very helpful reminder too. So perhaps one could be triggered under certain conditions? Maybe when a character loots a new monster card, or everytime you enter a new map and kill a mob within your @mapowner level range you'll receive a note to just be mindful of @mapowner, or even when they first create the char and login, the note can have details on using /? to check commands/yellowtext.

I agree that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, however when the only thing around you is water, I'm sure the horse will be more convinced to take a sip.

But i'm not a farmer. so what do i know?

f3mush

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Slime

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    I wouldn't want to shove stuff like Mapowner to new players' faces; that would ruin some of the game's charm. New players meeting each other in HHG would usually just form a party, or coexist in the same map.
    Like Kim said, I think ideally events should be balanced so as to not encourage higher level players to go to Henesys Hunting Grounds in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I don't see how alerting a new user to commands that literally benefit them, as well as other players, is a bad thing early on. I didn't become aware of mapownership until I was in ghost ship and I feel that's rather late. My husband also had no idea. I'd rather have known of the convenient command as a new player than getting reported to a GM for something I had no idea of.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I don't know why everyone's assuming I go there on my high level characters. I don't. Like I stated, I'm always there with my newer characters which are low levels. And I party with new players everyday, whether that's forming parties or just sharing maps. It's all good and fine since there's usually an agreement, and I've made a bunch of new friends this event because of it.

Today, I had to explain to a new player - who was griefing for almost an hour - in Spanish (a language that I don't speak) what mapowner is, and he still didn't care. And then he came back again later, and did the same thing. So what are people supposed to do in this instance aside from reporting and hoping that a GM removes them? Would it not be beneficial to explain to new users what commands are?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    You (read anyone) should always communicate the issue with the player violating mapowner before reporting.

Also did you not read the ToS before you started playing? ;)

I doubt a player that griefs you for an hour (and continues after being told to stop) is going to care about the ToS, or a quiz explaining mapowner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    4:10 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    same vibe as reading the ToS of your emails and facebook account when u create them :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I am not going to lie and say I read the entire ToS before I started playing. I kind of live life in a "don't be an ass hole" kind of attitude and most ToS is pretty much that summed up. Commands were not a thing when I played MapleStory so I really had no idea about their existence.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Slime

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Yeah, of course you should report that player; they were being an ass. But it seems explaining the rules didn't help in that case.
    Even if you're not there on a high level character, the only reason 8 channels are full is because of high level characters who are there for the event.

14. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Yea I try to do the same, reading the ToS is for after you get banned.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Isn't one of the MapleTips that MapleTips are personalized o.o

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    I don't think the language barrier argument is a very good argument.

In my mind, any progress is a good thing. I don't think something isn't worth doing just because it isn't absolutely perfect across the board.

A good majority of the players on this server speak English, therefore a good chunk of players will get the info. Even if not EVERYONE gets it firsthand, isn't that significantly better than what we have now?

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Sure, English people may understand it. But if it decreases the experience from people that do not understand English at all, and even have to go to our Discord to ask for the answers (again, this happens at the server I've mentioned at post #1) it's not a good trade-off, and I believe it need be taught towards the user in a better way.

18. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Wouldn't have to be a quiz. Could just be one of those lightbulbs that appear over your head after you leave the island, like the one you get for Ellin PQ, that tells the user about commands such as @mapowner. They could click through it without reading it or having to answer questions, but at least most users will be made aware about the existence of commands.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Monster Book does the same thing, and most people still don't know about it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Is it possible to add a new command like !mapownerinfo or !mapownerinfospanish or something of that nature, so that when someone is ks'ing you, you can tell them to type that into chat and read the relevent TOS info. It feels more official than saying "read the TOS" or "ask on discord". I know there were attempts in the past to translate the TOS into spanish, but it was hard to update. Maybe just the section on mapowner can be translated.

• Agree Agree x 1