1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Events: How do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:56 AM
    Moderator Post
    As a player in MapleStory servers I've always wondered how much people enjoy Events. To my observation there's a lot of people that do not enjoy events but are forced/motivated by it because of the prizes, not because of the event content

What makes you as player enjoy an event or what makes you as player not enjoy an event but forced to do it for the good limited prize? Or do you always enjoy the event regardless of the content?

Discuss. I am for a while pretty curious on this one.

2. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    11:56 PM
    Snail
    Long term events...Personally I prefer long-term events like scavenger hunts, banner contests, captions, guild wars, omok tournaments, etc. Ones like true/false, hide and seek, that last a minute or two I don't find enjoyable. I would probably find them less enjoyable on a GMS-like server.
    Team-influenced events would be GREAT. But picked teams XD. I would enjoy despite prize if it was those. I do like JQs :D

If not, it would depend on prize or usefulness of that prize. Scrolls and such would be <3

• Like Like x 5
  3. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    8:56 PM
    Longer term events are a lot of fun, but the prizes have to be balanced. A good staple is just the "all mobs drop this etc item that you turn in for rewards". Additionally, having it drop from boss monsters at a higher rate would also be cool for the less grinding-oriented classes.

I don't like it when events give out an item that is end-game and only obtainable through that event. However, I'm also not into cosmetics so I don't really care for events that just give away chairs or NX (although many people love this). I think a good balance is giving out scrolls. For example, giving out the 15% scrolls as a reward for participating in the event isn't super overpowered because you can do the same with 10%s, but that extra edge is amazing and worth doing.

Special potions, like the Witch Stew from Halloween events, are also a great reward in my opinion. They give you an advantage for participating, but without being extremely overpowered, and doesn't overpower all other items in the game. That is the balance that should be strived for in my opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  4. David

David Pink Teddy

Apr 2, 2015
    Male
    10:56 PM
    I love the idea of a monthly scavenger hunt. The prizes could be scaled with different difficulty levels. Something like 20k NX for hard, 15k for medium, and 10k for easy would amount to just a fraction of what players receive for voting over the same period while also encouraging players to explore new areas.
    As far as the single competition events, I agree that they're looked on by most as more of a nuisance that is only done for the prize, especially if they're held too frequently.

5. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    This :X I thought about it after I posted. Which is why I mentioned scrolls. Something easily sold for those who don't merc, or usable by that person. Buff items lots of pots are great too.

With the scavenger hut you'd have to assign items according to lv range. Obviously you wouldn't give a lv 30 mob drops from a lv 80 mob

6. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    YES! If I see type @gotoevent every 30 minutes I'm just not gonna do it. Have them posted a week or so in advance. Tell people about it. Let them get hyped! The nx seems like a bit, but for a month event and only a few winners I suppose not. But I agree it would help people find new areas :3

The only problem I see arising from this is a higher level giving off items to friends to lower levels...

7. Azroa

Azroa Master Chronos

Apr 14, 2015
    Azroa
    Hero
    -
    Events are good on occasion. Maybe one on the weekend or something. On previous servers I've been on, there was literally always an event active, and events became boring and annoying. Prizes don't need to be crazy, maybe just some nx or something.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Sheesh to make it less p2w for the nx, gift an nx equip of choice according to placement. 1st place gets an equip between this and this amount of nx, 2nd and, 3rd a bit less. maybe even a small something like an untradable buff pot for simply participating.

9. Melon

Melon Blue Snail

Apr 17, 2015
    Male
    iMelon
    Bandit
    I'm personally not a fan of jump quests, especially if they're in a race. Partially because I suck at them and partially because I think that they're incredibly overdone. I used to run/enjoy silly non-game related events like riddles and little "pop-quiz"-esque things. Or something where you describe something (it could even be Maplestory related) and people have to try and guess what it is. The downside, as the person who runs the events, is that you'll have to deal with a lot of whisper spam but it's manageable at this server's current state. Another idea would be a summoning event, sort of like they used to do in the old-GMS days. Except the aim wouldn't be to kill everything (I'm looking at you, Balrog-summoning Broa GMs...). Maybe something like the Anniversary Cake monster or fake bosses.

As for prizes, I think the current state of the server's economy has to be considered. There isn't a massive amount of mesos flowing yet so whatever the prize is shouldn't be economically unobtainable for anyone else. I like the above suggestions of 15% or 65% scrolls, those could be interesting. I do think that NX rewards, as in a specific item and not a set amount of NX, is the best way to reward winners though. It's purely cosmetic with no in-game advantage (except looking good), which fits well with this stage of GMS's cash shop. The last idea for prizes is something that players need but might not be able to get yet. I think this should be limited to materials for higher level weapons. Until the bosses start falling, people won't have their 110 weapons but giving some of the rarer materials away will allow people to start getting them a little earlier. This is my least favorite of my ideas but the materials are something that players can normally get, just have to work harder for.

In the same light as 'thetavi', I think the rewards need to be in a delicate balance of being worth it but not too worth it. Nothing that a single player can use or sell and be set for good.

• Like Like x 5
  10. GoStepOnLego

GoStepOnLego Mano

Apr 4, 2015
    GoStepOnLego
    Beginner
    IDKMAN
    Hi guys, fuck any luck based events. The end.

• Like Like x 6
  11. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    I think events should be unique and rare. Maybe once every month or two. I think having jump quest events or ola ola, etc. every day is stupid and just gets old. And people only do it for the prizes like you said. Scavenger hunts are a cool idea. I also like the idea of month-long events in which mobs may drop certain items (like how GMS had the surfboards and tubes drop during the summer) and things of that nature. Those are always cool.

• Like Like x 4
  13. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    I agree with what the others are saying: Have events too often and people will get bored. Quality over quantity.
    But something that is important to keep in mind is that there will always be people to only do the quests for the prizes, no matter how fun the events are. That's just how it works. So don't stress about pleasing everybody - it won't happen.

I do like the idea of long-term and seasonal events.

• Like Like x 4
  14. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    I like both the long-term seasonal events, and the short GM hosted events. In both cases, the prizes should be purely cosmetic.

Royals' Valentines Event gave you a 3 allstat ring with 1 wep and magic att. It's not much, but considering that nothing can replace it, making it best-in-slot, makes it really OP. I don't want things like that here because it punishes people who didn't play during a certain time.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Neko

Neko Wolfspider

Dec 26, 2014
    5:56 AM
    Neko / Inumimi lvl 6x BM
    Bishop
    Project <3
    I like true/false and jump quests mostly

just fun to do them to meet lot of people, and nx cash rewards are always good imo ^^

16. Jaikor

Jaikor Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 5, 2015
    I remember playing a server with a coconut event, basically when entering the map you'd be assigned on a team and you'll have to hit coconuts to get points. It's a team event and really does require all to participate to win

• Like Like x 8
  17. Goofy

Goofy Mushmom

Jan 13, 2015
    SoCal
    I like long term events that allow players to move at their own pace and gives everyone a fair shot at the best/final reward. I'll echo what was said above about best-in-slot items being event rewards. That's a big no-no.

I rarely participate in random GM-hosted events because they're typically a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    For the scavenger hunt it could be unreadable drops. That would rid of the issue of trading off the points or whatever. If it's a the same drop and all the same drop rate for every mob level range there could be no issues. Just get the item for your level range.

OR items for teams. Randomly selected teams (according to an activity roster posted on the forum for yes I am attending thing). Red team blue team yellow team this of thing. Only that color counts for you. And say you get mostly other team drops? Perhaps they can be turned in for a .5 deduction on that team?

If you ever played Harry potter and the sorcerers stone on pc. The jelly bean race ^^.

Also realize that not only the gms can host events. If you can host it and can supply prizes and like the thrill go ahead.

Some of these can also be player hosted :). If you have the prizes then sure why not

• Like Like x 1
  19. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    A few things there-
    I don't like event-exclusive prizes. I don't want to be forced to do an event for something that is only obtainable from an event.
    Long-term events ftw. I see alot of others like them too... Maybe not quite as long-term as other servers though? It seems like most of them are just having long-term events just to keep the community happy. They put on these events and then come back in a month to "extend" them just to get a few whoopdeedoo's and look active.
    Maybe one ever other month or so, to last 2-3 weeks?
    The repetitive jump quest GM events seen in other servers is disgusting. Some people just are not good at jump quests, and some are ridiculously good at them. I'm somewhere in between, I'll get any of them done, but not quickly. With these jump quest GM events, the same people win every time and it creates something almost like a monopoly for those people.
    I'll post some good GM event ideas when it's time, if they seem to need variety.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    One option that Kim and I have is to reward event items with decent stats, but that also only last for a temporary amount of time before expiring (e.g. A Pumpkin Hat expiring after the end of Halloween). This is something GMS did fairly often, and would provide a boost for active players, but at the same time not provide them with a permanent advantage relative to non-event participants or future players.

• Like Like x 8