1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

forum dark theme

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Anfgt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Anfgt

Anfgt Mano

May 31, 2017
    Male
    Finland
    7:11 AM
    why does everything have to be white

2. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    6:11 AM
    Beginner
    Why don't you buy us one. Find your way to the donation button.

3. OP
    OP
    Anfgt

Anfgt Mano

May 31, 2017
    Male
    Finland
    lol nvm then didn't know it wasn't free to change forum theme colors hehexd

4. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I might be wrong but I remember XenForo additions being quite expensive.
    I'm not going to complain, XenForo is probably the best looking forum software, wouldn't want anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Maybe in the (near) future we play with more skins.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HardSafe

HardSafe King Slime

May 11, 2017
    Male
    Israel
    HardSafe, HardMage
    Priest
    White is much better looking.
    Basic, clean and simple what els you need in your life?
    From experience darker backgrounds in forums gives a lot of trouble with posts and threads in black color words

7. OP
    OP
    Anfgt

Anfgt Mano

May 31, 2017
    Male
    Finland
    white is cancer & gives eyestrain

• Like Like x 1
  8. HardSafe

HardSafe King Slime

May 11, 2017
    Male
    Israel
    HardSafe, HardMage
    Priest
    ever seen job application in black letter? ever seen an announcement by any type of system, news, country, game or anything els in black background?
    I dont know about you but the last time i saw black paper was in my kindergarten while painting with chalks. Maybe you miss these days?
    If i will send to any honored place an app in black background and white colored words they will tell me that i might got confused with them and art school.
    Professionally talking, white is the best. People are specifically using it for good reason so don't tell me it gives eyestrain

9. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    The brightness from a white screen does give eye strain though. If you don't believe me check out the thousands of scientific articles avaible on this topic.
    With that said, while a dark theme is great for people who sit a lot in front of a screen during the day it is incredibly hard to make it look good on forum. And there is also the text colour problem, black on black is not readable. A proper solution would have to alter text colours too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. HardSafe

HardSafe King Slime

May 11, 2017
    Male
    Israel
    HardSafe, HardMage
    Priest
    It might give problems to some people on certain light heights but if so adjusting the screen lightning can help. I honestly never had problems with bright white screens so i can't tell how it affects you. But if we talk about efficiency white is much more convenient

11. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    My problems stems from having lightsensitive eyes, and having a job where im stationed in front of a PC all day.
    I can still use the forum fine by lowering the screen brightness, but a dark theme would still be a huge help.

I do feel though, that people with a real handicap like colourblindness probably deserve a theme suited for them more than I deserve a dark theme that would help with eyestrain.

12. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    There's a grey theme, does that help with colourblindness?

13. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I'm guessing that it helps a bit although names, titles, profile pictures and images still are coloured.
    I can't tell you for sure since I'm not colourblind myself.

14. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    12:11 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    This suggestion is about changing the "theme", not just the background. I don't know where the whole "background" thing came from, but "darker theme" does not mean "change the background to black and leave the text black as well."
    This is all very readable-
    https://demo.themehouse.com/xf1/themes/

Brighter light= more eye strain. We have known this for centuries. (Millenniums?)

This is most definitely a website for a game, on a screen, not paper, not a job, and not a school. We wouldn't send a paper app full of Maple trees and clouds to a job either. The last thing I want to see when I come home from work and Maple my ass off is something that even remotely resembles a professional document.

No background-only changes, no paper, and yes brighter light = eye strain is a thing.

Sorry to just shit on everyone else's replies, but this is a 100% harmless and (potentially) helpful suggestion and it seems like the suggestion itself is getting shat on just the sake of shitting.

Say someone visits the forum and discovers that there is an optional (not even necessarily default) darker theme, and decides to try it. They discover that they don't like it and revert the change to a theme that prefer. Meanwhile, some other people choose the darker theme and have a (even if slightly) better experience on the forums. Some of them have neurological problems, like myself, and really benefit from darker screen output. As in, save a lot of excruciating pain, type benefit.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    12:11 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I'm not colorblind either but I think it would be worse for a colorblind person since the shades would theoretically be less vivid for them. I don't think a dark theme would help either. That blue cloudy one would probably be best for colorblindness, I would guess :p

16. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    I like the dark mode idea. I've seen in a few different websites and yeah, there's no problem with the text- as midnight said it's an entire theme which adjusts text to be white to stick out. An example of a website that implements dark mode is pokemonshowdown (settings on the top right corner).

As for colourblindness, you guys are being really silly. Colourblind people see different shades FINE, it's differentiating between different colours like red and green that is the problem. Dark theme, light theme, and gray theme will all be seen normally. Typically colourblindness is between red/green or blue/purple and iirc is common in subtle forms like not differentiating between more specific hues.

Example:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 3