1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameplay Diversification and Leveling Strategy: Quest Improvements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nicholas, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    8:38 PM
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a long-time maple legends player, playing on and off since 2016. I have seen a lot of MapleLegends' development over the years and I am happy to see how much it has grown. When I began playing the server had usually around 60 players online at any given time, and now we're seeing numbers of nearly 1500! We’ve come a long way, but with this new influx of people there are new challenges being faced.

In this suggestion I am addressing one of the largest issues that comes with a high server population, which is that there simply are not enough channels for everyone to be able to grind on the best maps. This is leading to fierce arguments (and noise smegas) about map ownership and what’s fair. However, I am not going to suggest that we increase the number of channels, I believe, like Kimmy, that this will solve nothing, and only make the server feel sparse and empty. One solution to this problem is to just tell players to grind on maps which are sub-optimal. This is somewhat fair, as there is now a very very strong incentive to get a monster book ring for every class. However, I’m definitely the kind of person who would rather choose not to play and to do something IRL instead of spending my time doing something I don't want to do (i.e collecting monster book cards and training slower when my goal is to train quickly), and I imagine many others are as well. So I don’t think this choice works for everybody.

One of the greatest assets that players have in maple legends as new players, and as old players making new characters, is the 3x quest exp. It’s perfect. In 2016 I began on this server with effectively nothing and brought up my bishop and dark knight to level 40 very quickly just by doing quests. It was easy, required virtually no money (I actually made money on quests), and it was a fun time. Questing remains an extremely effective way to get to level 35 in the game, however once people reach this level, party questing and grinding tend to become much more popular options. Why? Sure, these are effective ways of leveling, but why is it that questing, which is definitively the fastest way to level 35, suddenly become obsolete? It is because the amount of exp awarded on higher-level quests becomes less and less of a fraction of the exp needed to level. Moreover, higher level quests often take more effort to complete, meaning you do more work, for less return. High-level questing offers effectively no return relative to grinding and party-questing. There’s no shiny rings, there’s few good items (the best of which are almost all one-time random rewards) to be gotten, and there’s no exp in it. Quests are useless after level 40! (most of them, at least)

While quests are not a viable source of exp, they could be an extremely efficient solution to the problem of having too many people fighting for high-exp maps. Quests encourage players to train in a well-distributed variety of maps and offer additional incentives on top of the exp obtained in gathering quest materials. They also encourage engagement with the game beyond just the mindless leveling. This is exactly the solution we want to this problem, and it actually gives a little more. By encouraging questing we encourage players to engage more with the game, and probably, more with the community. This could also offer new ways for those who are HP washing to level, without leech, in a somewhat efficient way, which could be a real game-changer on the front of the HP washing debates.

I am not going to address random rewards in this post, but I think they need to be seriously trimmed, as they are often difficult, and otherwise unrewarding (i.e either you make bank or you throw away hours of time).

I am proposing a revamp of quest experience on under-rewarding quests (which includes and is not limited to most quests above level 40). This is not a request to increase the exp multiplier on all quests, the 3x rate is very good for dealing with most low-level quests. This is a suggestion to modify individual quest exp rewards for a large number of quests. This approach could also be implemented gradually: quest changes could be made bit by bit and I don’t think we need to get it all done in one go. For example, quests from 40-50 might be revamped, and then later 50-60 could be rolled out, and so on… These quest revamps should consider how long it might take to complete a quest, how much material it needs, how hard it is to obtain those materials, and above all, how much exp is required to level at the quest’s given level.

For example, at level 40 the LEGENDARY quest The Antidote becomes available. For collecting 100 Mateon tentacles you get, after multiplying by 3, 13.5k exp and 50 holy waters (according to bbb.hidden-street.net). At level 40 you require about 300,000 exp to level, which means you get approximately 4.5% as a reward. However, it takes a very long time for any level 40 player to acquire these items, and moreover, the quest has several parts, each part asking for more tentacles, i.e the second part asks for 200 more tentacles and only offers 5k exp. That’s nothing! This progression only gets worse, and questing (in general) quickly becomes a less-viable source of exp as levels increase, especially as quests become more sparse at higher levels.

By making gradual changes to individual quest rewards we can ensure that MapleLegends maintains a healthy community with plenty of opportunities for everybody and continues to offer a unique MapleStory experience.

• Agree Agree x 20
  2. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    3:38 PM
    392308373749497856.png Someone get this man on the balance team

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    5:38 AM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I suggest completely revamping the server, making people Reeee because changes are needed.
    revamping card drops (make them drop more than gachapon smh lmao, I got 16 gacha and only 1 card in a day of farming)
    Make HP non washable (just bump up HP gains per lvl for most classes, fuck the intlords and such other people)
    Buff deep ludi, magatia, orbis, el nath, most mob maps lvl 40 to 120 (depending on map size, mob count, mob respawn time etc)

there, that's how you fix the game, somewhat

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    6:38 AM
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    I think you should open your own private server with the meme suggestions of yours honstley

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Depends, will you play?
    Else I'll just run it locally and play alone, given this game is Maplesolo

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    4:38 AM
    I would say ALL quests should give exp. Just did the D.Roy quest and it doesn't give any exp, just those gloves. Sad.

7. OP
    OP
    Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    8:38 PM
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Almost all item-giving quests will need to be buffed. They universally give bad exp, and most of them give you pretty useless items. This is often combined with the quests being very long, so there's really no reason that they shouldn't award both good exp and an item. So this revamp is certainly a big-project, and this is why I suggested doing it gradually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    6:38 AM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    I think they just need to buff more maps, there are so many maps in this game and 99% of them are not used.
    if they buff more than they did before it would greatly add to the "able to farm at" maps.
    The staff needs to look at spawn timers, # of mobs, and exp rates of more maps, I don't think they buffed enough high lvl maps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    Priest
    This man's suggestion is every quester wet dream.

Additionally, if this becomes too complex to add, what about just adding a point system for quests? By gaining 1 point for every quest completed and being able to exchange truckloads of those points for exclusive & competitive equips/items in the game, maybe it would incentivize people to do these forgettable quests, despite their low exp.

I personally think that exchanging some points here and there for some nice buffs would be more than enough.

I can't understand why we still don't have quest rings tho.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. WolfKat

WolfKat Red Snail

Jun 24, 2015
    Outlaw
    Piggybacking a bit on the OP, which I mostly agree with, there are easy ways to blanket-buff quests. Making quests give an extra 5%% of your required exp (-0.025%% per level, so 2,5% at level 100 and 0% at lvl 200) and 1hp point would combat both issues presented in the thread.

The top questers on the server have just over 1k quests completed so the HP bit wouldn't affect players too much, you could even cap it at 500 if you feel that's more appropriate. You could save up quests to spam out exp at higher levels, but with the scaling it wouldn't make much of a difference to just grinding. It would just make sure all the "shitty" quests actually do something for you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Cleaning up Eos Tower only gives 1250 exp base. Oof. Buff it to 15k at least. But yeah. Increasing the base exp of certain quests to make them more rewarding would be good.

12. Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    Priest
    Two problems here>

If 100-2,5%/125-1.875%/150-1,25%/175-0.625%/200-0%

1st - This would be too much broken, at least with your 5% exp. Simply because people at lv.150 could do most 10~50 quests within a few minutes. Several dozens by the hour. If it went like this, everyone on every level could go +1level/hr.
    In a month, being lv.200 would mean nothing. Maybe if the exp formula had subdivisions regarding the quests level range, it would become fairer.

2nd - What about the people that did hundreds of these quests already. Will they only get hp? That's why I find that a point system would be more fitting.

Overall, is a very simple and promising idea.
    I hope the BalanceTeam™ gives their feedback on this.

13. WolfKat

WolfKat Red Snail

Jun 24, 2015
    Outlaw
    While they could indeed get 1 level per hour, there is a finite amount of quests though. Let's say there are 300 easy turn-in/kill 100 mob quests they could blow through in a day, that'd give you roughly 3,5 levels at 150. Sure, that's definitely an exp boost but after that it slows down big time. From 300 the first day to probably around 100 the second, getting you to around 155. After that I don't think it would be a whole lot better to do quests than to just grind, not to mention how much more mesos you would farm by killing mobs your level.

Either way, you could easily tweak it to stop giving this bonus exp earlier, or have it scale down quicker.
    If you just lower the starting point to 4% with the same formula you would get 0.25% per quest at 150, and then no bonus exp from level 160 forward.

14. Buffles

Buffles Dark Stone Golem

Dec 9, 2015
    Male
    10:38 PM
    Buffles
    Paladin
    I second this because currently it's only a few limited maps that are "good" and those either full 24/7 or crowded with leechers. Just a day has passed and FoG is already seeing this. I can only see benefits from having more maps that get buffs similar to what FoG got yesterday.

15. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    11:38 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    yes remove hp washing and change the int to wash thing.

16. ElementUser

ElementUser Blue Snail

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    11:38 PM
    ShiningArrow
    Bowman
    Yup, this is why I dislike questing at later levels.

Ariant questing is both fast & fun! If only most quests were like that :)