1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

@GM Suggestion

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by AdeLina, Aug 4, 2020.

1. AdeLina

AdeLina Red Snail

Nov 22, 2019
    Female
    12:05 AM
    Adelina
    Cleric
    Like Example when we encounter problems in the Server and we @GM for Gm to Respond, it would be great if in Future we could have a Choice to choose which @GM Online at that time to respond at the time of the incident.

frankly this way it show which GM are helpful and popular and at the same time it give u the data of which GM the community would rather go to for help when they are in trouble and which GM they rather avoid due to the fact some GM are really useless at cant do anything about it to rectify the issue(no offense).

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    9:05 AM
    GMs can help out everyone, but sometimes (if any) issues do occur some stuff GMs can't really "fix" with their given power to help players, pretty obvious but things like Client disconnects in a certain map or random auto bans that would get triggered without knowing the reason of how the issue occurs they can't do much about anything unless the issue is known to them.. for an example.. if someone is KSing your map and you don't actually have the KSer in view (a screenshot of other player causing abuse) not in the screenshot using an ability like Genesis off the corner of the screen, has chat in the chatbox. They can't really do anything about it, unless they have a way to see server time with that timestamp of what the person said with the mapowner showing there still isn't "actual proof" so the GMs won't be able to do anything because "lack of evidence"..

But I do understand what you mean by suggesting this so that you do get things done the way you want with X GM thats online, but some stuff GMs don't have powers over :/

3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:05 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the suggestion, but this sort of sounds like:
    1. Calling 911 and being able to ask for a specific dispatcher or emergency worker
    2. Going to court and requesting a specific judge to work on your case
    It either downplays the importance of your in-game issue, in which case it should be handled on forums (report abuse, character issue, etc) or it could seem like favoritism (but.. the other way? does that make sense?)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Hey, thats what I tried to say.. kinda lol but I like yours better XD

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    Controversial take but I can think of specific scenarios where it would be beneficial to work with certain GM's who have certain skillsets or experience. For example, some GM's (not naming in particular but we are blessed with a diverse and multicultural staff) have expertise in other languages and in these instances, an @GM with whom the player can communicate the issue more clearly in their native language can help facilitate a resolution. Just my two cents. Maybe the GM's can tell if someone is not a native speaker based on the English competency of the initial @gm request? :woot:

6. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    Dazzle
    Magician
    Only issues I can think of are language or platform (mac/windows) differences, which would be cool options to add to @gm, rather than specifying which gms

7. OP
    OP
    AdeLina

AdeLina Red Snail

Nov 22, 2019
    Female
    Adelina
    Cleric
    i mean like in the game there are certain GM's that "Take Action on the Spot when Problems Occurs and Fix it on the Spot" and Ask to Follow Up at Forums Thereafter and Then there are GM's That use this Phase "Screenshot and Refer your Problems to Forums" without Any Actions Taken to Rectifying The Problem Especially and Ask u to Relog for the Problem to be Fix, But When a Problem Occurs at a Map that can only be entered Twice a Day..Its Really Doesn't Help When Certain GM's Just Say "There's Nothing They Can Do About It" As a Player, When Stuff like This Happen and GM's Said Those Kind of Words, It Really Demoralizing. Yes, I Know You're Following The Rules Given to You by Head GM But Is There Really No Other Solution to Resolve it and Us Players Having to Suffer in Silence and Move on and Pray it Doesnt happen Again...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    That's a nice idea too, but how many language options would you propose to cover the entire playerbase? What about accounting for regional dialects? I recall a specific instance where a certain "Over-Powered" bishop :sneaky: was having issues with other players and the disputes could only be resolved when a certain GM who spoke his dialect of French stepped in to translate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:05 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I think the concerns about language are quite understandable, and I think in a perfect scenario, being able to assign a GM that is more comfortable in a third language (2nd language being the language of memes xD) to situations that require it could be really neat. That said though, I think the problem would be more about feasibility sadly :( All staff members are volunteers that spread across various timezones. While this allows us wider coverage, it also means that it's usually the same few GMs available at certain timeframes. Unless someone has a messed up sleep schedule (which is more common than not LOL).

But I think that's also where the importance of forums come into play as well. That way players and GMs are available to respond based on their expertise/involvement to the case, regardless of what time the ticket was submitted.

So if I can summarize your concerns, it would be three major points (please correct me if I'm wrong):
    1. Differing approach of GMs that A) fix things on the spot, versus B) those that redirect you to forums
    2. How issues in bosses are handled (I'm guessing that's what you mean by twice a day)
    3. Pre-existing staff restrictions that lead us to say "there's nothing we can do about it"
    I'll try to clarify some points, that might clear (some) things up ^^

Regarding #1
    Whether a GM fixes stuff on the spot or directs you to the forums usually relates to the type of issue. For certain issues (usually character issue or report abuse related), there's an undeniable process to things, and sometimes we (as staff) want to verify first then fix. There are a lot of players that like to take advantage of our kindness, and so we need to ask for that verification before we do anything. Whilst it isn't the most "efficient", I think the community (and us) prioritize doing things right, rather than quickly.

You would've also seen there are a few different roles for staff members. While it might feel better to just go straight to the top to ask your issue to be resolved, this (once again) has a process. Much like how you can't go straight to the Supreme Court to handle a legal matter, you have to go through the chain and if necessary your issue will be escalated. Bottomline is that this is just an issue about bureaucracy, and sadly inevitable :( Bureaucracy everywhere is slow and perhaps seem inefficient. But it exists because it works, and there is no more efficient alternative (especially when you factor in public servants/volunteers to the equation :p which staff members pretty much are)

Regarding #2
    There are so many things that can possibly go wrong in a bossing scenario, so I can't really figure out what you might be alluding to... If it relates to a bug, we completely feel you and understand your frustrations. Possibly even more, since while it happens to you once in a while, for us, we see it every time it happens to someone. Statistically we just have to handle it more times :pepehands: For bugs, please rest assured that the devs work their hardest to fix issues. Sometimes, it's not as easy as we think, and you fix one thing and another thing breaks. It is sadly the nature of things... But that doesn't mean we don't work on it and simply expect the player base to accept it'll always be like that. We are all volunteers, and the devs probably have the hardest time, since they're working on so many things at the same time, all for better player enjoyability :( I hope you understand that part.

Regarding #3
    This once again, goes back to the idea of bureaucracy and existing policies. Rather than thinking you have to "suffer in silence and move on", perhaps it might be easier to rationalize why we have those policies in the first place. It's so that loopholes can't be exploited with some people gaining an unfair advantage to others. Everyone is held to the same standard. There are also some game-related bugs that can be caused with those "we can't do anything about it scenarios". Two major ones come to my mind (esp if it relates to bossing)
    • Warping a despawned player back into a boss:
    Warping back into a boss can be tricky as you're not a part of the same instance anymore. It can break things, and even if the boss is no longer there, if you were to warp someone back, then another group will say "WE should be able to be warped back too!" < it's a slippery slope of setting precedents, even though there are various caveats attached to it.
    • Boss loot related issue:
    Spawning loot is also tricky, as it might turn out different than it would've should it have dropped naturally (from the boss). Add on the whole slippery slope argument here as well, and there's even more reason not to do it.

While making one or two people happy might be nice, it could also result in MORE players being dissatisfied. Sometimes, shared & equal dissatisfaction (aka by having policies that prevent us from doing xyz) is the more utilitarian approach to things. I hope that clarifies things for you ^^

• Like Like x 3
  10. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    the most popular gm was gm OhDoggoOhDoggo

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  11. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    It seems like the GMs are a team effort, when players send in reports every GM sees the report and as a team decide what the outcome is.

12. OP
    OP
    AdeLina

AdeLina Red Snail

Nov 22, 2019
    Female
    Adelina
    Cleric
    NiseNise In Reference to Your Key Point,
    1) The Senior GM's are More Hands On Proactive in Terms of Resolving Issue after Investigation been Done(Quick Firm Compact Timely Detail etc) Compare to the New GM's They are more to Meditate the Situation but Doesn't Really Take Action to Solve the Problem, Hence Players Get Frustrated Etc..Refer To Forums Till to the Higher Ups. But in Reality People Dont Have Time to Deal with All These So We Just Kept Quiet and Move On.

2) Bugs in Bosses Eg: When You Die and Get Auto Spawned to Town W/o Pressing Anything, Buff Bugs and Resurrection Bug(Some People Say its Not Bugged But When a Bishop Resurrection and a Player Doesn't Get Revive But Bishop Skill Got 30mins CD and Player Just Froze in the Sky in Other Player Screen) So I'm in Dilemma Here. Maybe When These Kinds of Things Happen in Future There Be Alternative Solution to Resolve Fix & Compensate The Victim Rather Then Saying a "Phrase" that Lack Empathy To The Victim.

3)Regarding The Polices, Rules & Regulations Etc, There are Players that Abuse Loopholes for Their Advantage and There are the Genuine One, For The Abuser The Penalty is Temp Banned/Banned But For The Genuine One Who Encounter This Kind of Bug Maybe a Service Recovery Would be Nice Instead of Us Cursing at The Screen and No Further Action was Taken.

End of the Day We're here to Have Fun Make Friends Hangout Relax De-stress But Shits Happen and We as Humans Just Cant Control Our Emotions,
    Hope You Understand :)

13. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    I think thats highly situational depending on what you use the command for, if its a boss freeze then @GM it to notify the bug and attack it as normal until a GM arrives if it dies then it should be fine, a notification was sent.

But yeah sometimes its annoying..