1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gradually decreasing mapowner time threshold

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RegalStar, Jun 27, 2020.

1. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    5:28 PM
    DMsRebirth
    One of the biggest "abuse" (or so would most people think) of the mapowner system is to basically hold onto mapowner indefinitely by killing something every few minutes, without actually using the map. I know people who do this for hours on end while they HT or whatever, which just ties up a map that they're not using and no one else can use. The following is a system that may be able to help deter something like that:

Initially, the mapowner threshold (the amount of time that needs to elapse before losing mapowner) is 5 minutes. If the mapowner character takes more than 30 seconds to make a kill (or hit a boss), however, the threshold will decrease by 1 minute, and continue to do so until it reaches a minimum of 30 seconds (the same as the "decrease threshold" threshold). If, afterwards, the mapowner does not trigger this for 30 seconds, then the threshold will increase by 1 minute until it reaches a maximum of 5 minutes (same as the original threshold).

Basically this was something I came up with that would discourage just holding a map without actually using the map (I can't imagine 30 seconds being a problem for anyone other than CBs bombing Forest of Towers, but Forest of Towers is a really low traffic map to begin with). The actual numbers can be changed, of course.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    5:28 PM
    DMsRebirth
    Anyone who just steps away once for a few minutes before coming back and actually using the map shouldn't be inconvenienced as the threshold will only decrease once, then promptly go back after you come back for 30 seconds. This is designed to only deter people who make a few kills every 4 minutes to hold a map indefinitely (without actually using it).

3. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    2:28 PM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    YEAH i missed that part while i was reading hence why i deleted my post

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. MGTOWMONEY

MGTOWMONEY Orange Mushroom

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    4:28 PM
    MGTOW
    Warrior
    Not sure if that's necessary. I think the mapowner could just be a flat 3 minute, which is just long enough for a quick bathroom/water break. If you are afk for more than 3 minutes, it's probably time to pass on map to someone else if there's someone surfing and waiting for a map. If you are unlucky to lose a map during middle of a leech, then you could negotiate with the new mapowner to finish the time for that hour for that hour.

It discourages and makes more cumbersome to hold a map for long time with shorter timer.

5. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    5:28 AM
    Z00M
    Beginner
    Yes there r some toxic ones that holds maps while bossing or what not, but I think this change is unnecessary as it's mostly due to players in game mannerism? I for one, when I'm done with a map I go round surfing on my mule or players who come by and just pass them the map. By doing so, I hope to pass on this trait to others in the future so that they may do likewise to others and make a couple of handy map neighboring friends.
    Sharing is carring.

also, toilet break life matters, esp pooping (4mins was my fastest, what's yours?) and I doubt I can come back in 3 mins, unless you don't wipe?

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1