1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Have more people use boats, trains, etc.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ooShawnyoo, Apr 20, 2022.

Tags:

What do you think of the current situation for boats and teleport rocks from the Cash Shop?

1. Fine as it is

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Boats and other methods of transportation should be used more

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I don't care either way

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    2:03 AM
    Frenzied
    Hey!

I will likely get flamed for this, but at the same time I am also curious about what some people think about the current situation with the methods of transportation in MapleLegends.

Currently, while some people are still using them from time to time, most people just spam smegas or ask friends/guildies to teleport themselves directly to where they want to go. It is very practical, but in my opinion the tele rocks are used way too much on the server.

One of the MapleTips on this server says that the social aspect of Maplestory is the best element in the game, and I think that's true. What made Maplestory so fun for me back in the day, and also today, was that the game was very social.

One of the best ways for me to meet people and socialize was by taking boats, we would have a few minutes to interact since we had to wait and it wasn't that uncommon that I'd leave the boat and have made a new friend.

Of course, I am not saying to remove teleport rocks. But maybe if we increased their price, or if we limited the number of use in a single day, people would obviously have to travel more often like the old days.

This alone won't help fix all the issues we have with ghost towns or people only hanging mostly in fm, but at least I feel like it'd make the world a bit more alive since we would see more people walking to their destination and traveling. Tele rocks are super useful, but it just feels weird to me that we can just teleport ourselves almost everywhere in the world very easily, anytime we want. It doesn't feel like classic Maplestory to me.

What do you think? Do you think boats and tele rocks are fine as they are? Or do you also want changes?

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I just afk as soon as I get on the boat, seems like most people do the same for the boats I’m on.

This just seems like the same issue of wanting Henesys or the FM to be some social network vs the afk zones. To me it doesn’t seem like issue itself being people not taking boats, but we are all just older and choose to socialize via other methods (discord for example) than to sit around on mushroom game to exclusively socialize like we did when we had all the time in the world.

AinzAinz im ready for your rant on how maplestory is not a social game. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kmac

Kmac King Slime

Jan 15, 2021
    Male
    DPSmoira
    Beginner
    Truly an unpopular opinion. I commend you for posting this, but couldn’t disagree more. Things are fine the way they are and nerfing rocks to force more boat travel / socialization would be lame asf. Many of us are adults with limited windows to play and sitting on boats is a chore when you’re only able to play a couple hours each night.

Back in GMS when it was single client and NX cost real money, it was a given that you’d meet people on boats. In a multi client meta where NX is free, it’s a completely different ballgame. Almost not even comparable. Personally speaking, if I have to take a boat I’m either AFK or playing another char in a different window.

There are many ways to socialize and meet new people you just need to put yourself out there, which is often the hardest part.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    11:03 PM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I'm one of the few people that sit through the boat rides. I do it purely out of nostalgia, and the majority of the time I barely interact with the strangers riding with me.

I don't think it should be forced. The system is there for people to use it if they wish to. Forcing people will just make more people afk on the ships. In the end you'll just end up with the same feeling, but probably even worse because the people you thought you could socialize with are instead making a sandwich, watching a video, using the lou, etc.

• Like Like x 5
  5. ToastySpooks

ToastySpooks Slime

Apr 11, 2022
    Hunter
    People also hop onto this game for a relaxing time if they wanna try to get a Z-run in time but having to wait for the boat, and all of a sudden they dont get to finish the boss. Things of that nature will cause people to want to leave the server. Being kept as is, people who want to take the boat can and those who dont, dont have to. Yeah sure the social aspect has always been a huge selling part of maplestory... That being said... Im always down for a chat with a maple brother/sister on a boat.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:03 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    For me as fast i can get in a place is better..
    sometimes i have like 1 hour to play, and like to do things that are far away, so need a fast move.

btw, when i played gms i was like 9-10 years old, so i have time to spend on boats

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. mard

mard Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    1:03 AM
    I can't speak for everyone but personally I don't really use teleport rocks since transportation in general is still pretty fast. For instance, you can avoid the long victoria->orbis boat or vice versa by instead using the magic seed and going to leafre and then go to orbis from leafre (this way is much faster). If you ever want to go to ludi quickly from victoria, you can also do that by going through nautilus->omega sector using the warp card instead. Victoria to nlc is super fast too since you can just use the NLC scroll at amoria, and it's only the return trip where you actually have to wait a few minutes.

Most places in the game are pretty easily accessible even without teleport rocks and I think the transportation system is fine as is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Also if you want to go from Ariant to Victoria Island, there's an NPC on the Tent of the Entertainers map that'll pop you in one of the five towns for 10k. No need to wait for the genie!

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. TKDumont

TKDumont Orange Mushroom

Mar 19, 2022
    Male
    Canada
    TKDumont
    Hermit
    Chroma
    YO Boats or Bust, i think TP Rocks are hella lame. Spent all Event taking Boats/Regular Travel. I see the time management issues as a user problem Lmfao.

Oh Darn i missed Boss X because i didnt manage my time better

I get that people are adults and wanna play Their way but free/easily accessible NX for TP Rocks just leads to Lazy/entitled People imo :) <3

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:03 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i remmember in a server i played that have 2 options:

1) cheap one and wait boat..
    2) expensive one with no boat..

its not a good mesos sink?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:03 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    ChrisChris Contrary to what you might expect, my favorite social interactions in this game are the ones that take place on the boats!
    Aside from the aforementioned quick travel routes, there are VIP rocks for this situation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    It’d be cool to Change Channels while on a boat ride to find more people lol

if that's not possible then… scrolls, boat, and or vip tele are already a good mix of choices.

• QOL options are good to keep as cheap and accessible, especially since this is a free2play server.

People who choose to use Vip Tele and scrolls/seeds to fast travel are often the ones actively doing nonstop content, and the most social.
    • fast travel is necessary to do content with more people in a shorter time frame
    • a person can fast travel to meet up with different groups of people at different places for bossing/farming/grinding

They dont need to afk or do nothing for +10min worth of IRL time to get to where they need to go via mounts or running/mage tele. Of course a Door Mule would always be nice to cut down on 1to2min of travel time too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. burnauth

burnauth Mano

Mar 12, 2017
    3:03 PM
    Dragon Knight, Dark Knight
    Nekkid
    i agree with you, i really like the atmosphere of the boat especially the one from victoria island. i thought about that a few times too but I think most people don't have this nostalgic feeling =(

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Log

Log Orange Mushroom

Dec 11, 2018
    Corsair
    I think boats could be improved with the following:
    • Spawn stronger, mid-high level range bosses (lv 145-185) to encourage party travel and team bossing (a la JC)
    • Give these bosses unique drops/scrolls/chairs with a buff in XP that makes party bossing worthwhile
    • Allow skills on boats (haste, FJ, teleport, etc.)
    • Spawn bosses on all boats (or the most popular ones) like the Ludi Train and Leafre bird thing.
    Maybe this doesn't only mean a boss; maybe it's a puzzle like LPQ boxes (think Leafre bird combo ropes on it's chest) that leads to a bonus when the boat lands? Obviously, I understand there are limitations to this game and the capabilities in code, but just a thought :)

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    I agree!

Make Boats/Trains/Planes party places to do mini-boss battles!!! :cool:
    • need more fun incentives for timed-rides like this.

...rather than making life horrible by suggesting for removal of QoL (Vip Tele) :cautious:
    • why are there people who want to make the server population suffer by wanting the removal of cheap/accessible Vip Tele?