1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How much of a grind is this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yunxi, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Yunxi

Yunxi Blue Snail

Jun 10, 2020
    6:54 PM
    The only game I've really invested time into is one that I eventually left because the game was just too much of a mindless grind, from start to finish. Basically you'd be doing the same thing more than halfway through the game as you were at the beginning - an endless cycle of training and farming.

Is this game the same? I know that training and farming is a given in any MMORPG, but is there anything else that keeps it exciting? I know that there are quests, but are they fun? Are they only done at the beginning of the game or are there quests available at every level?

Also, how long does it typically take to train until level 50, 100, etc.? Since I'm working full-time now, I have a lot less free time, and if I had to spend months just to level up once later in the game, I think I would quickly lose motivation.

I would appreciate any insights!

2. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    9:54 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Let's not beat around the bush here: classic Maplestory is one of the most grindy games of all time.

Progression is gated behind tens of hours of grinding. Quests are mainly available at the beginning of the game and completely tapers off endgame, and most of the quests are of the "Collect 20 Bear Asses" variety. "High-level" or "Endgame Bossing" is, for majority of classes, the task of keeping your character standing in front of the boss and holding down one to maximum three buttons for 30 minutes-1.5 hours. The most efficient way to earn money is to make a mage class that hits the whole map with one button and sell leech service. Oh and to get that mage going you'd want to grind an additional 2-3 characters up as various "mules" which give party buffs that make your life easier/more efficient. Certain ranged classes are so fragile that a bug exploit known as "HP washing" is necessary for them to be functional endgame which involves months of voting for NX to get their HP up to par.

That said, you can certainly make your life more interesting. I personally see this game as more of a social platform since every time I play, I manage to find a guild that eventually translates to real life friends for me. We login every night and join the guild discord voice chat and it's almost nonstop laughing while playing this chillax game at the same time. Some people make questing their full time job. Or merching to earn money (though you have to either have tons of funding or 200IQ and 200% dedication to start this).

Also, worth noting that the exp rate in this server is doubled and quest exp is tripled, which makes early levels a breeze. A player who knows what he's doing can get to 50 in probably 12 hours. Beyond that, it really depends how efficient you can play. I'd say with 2-3 hours of casual but efficient playing every day, reaching 4th job (level 120) in a month should be possible.

Not gonna lie, it sounds like you're really adverse to grindy repetitive games, so at a glance I'd say it might not be for you. But hey no harm giving it a go and if you find the first 20-30 levels super mindless, then you can move on.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Yunxi

Yunxi Blue Snail

Jun 10, 2020
    I'm laughing at your description of high-level bossing because I watched a stream recently (of a Horntail run?) and that's exactly what it looked like!

I read in another thread that most players will at some point make a bishop to earn money, and that bishops are typically the easiest to level, but I didn’t realize that you would ideally train additional characters just to support the bishop...that does sound like a lot of work. Would you train the additional characters in step with the mage, or would you really only need to get them up to a certain level below the mage?

Usually the most important part of an online game for me is being able to connect with other players, so I think I will at least give the game a try. Going by your description of training, it actually doesn't sound too bad. If I could get to level 120 even in 2-3 months I think I would be happy.

Thank you for responding with such a detailed post! This was really helpful :)

4. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    There are usually several kinds of mules that people make, I don't know the exact levels but maybe someone else can speak up for me:
    - Holy Symbol mule (lv 7X Priest - increases EXP gained when in party play)
    - Meso Up mule (lv 8X Hermit - increases currency drop for all party members)
    - Speed Infusion mule (lv 12X Buccaneer - increases attack speed for all party members)

There's a few others but those are popular ones off the top of my head. That being said I am a fairly casual (?) player with only a Bishop and a Shadower, and I do not have other mules. To make money I just play the game, get lucky with gacha, or do some boss runs with friends and it tends to work out. So you don't have to necessarily sell leech or make mules - there are other ways to make money too!

There are a ton of super friendly guilds on the server, feel free to check out our guild section on this forum to take a look. For me personally, ML is definitely more of a social game with fun things to do (PQing, bossing, hanging out) with friends than just grinding. ^^

• Like Like x 2
  5. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    7:39 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Personally, at higher levels it’s mostly social. Bossing is fun because you’re on the VC with them so you don’t really mind the grind. You kill a lot of bosses together and then you’re suddenly level 180. But 100-155 was a nightmare grind for me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Yunxi

Yunxi Blue Snail

Jun 10, 2020
    Sounds like playing efficiently requires a lot of dedication. I think I'd also stay as a casual player, so I'm glad to hear that you can still get by without creating many additional characters. Thanks for the help :)

Oh no, not looking forward to that. Thank you for the heads up!

7. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    1:54 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Just wanted to add to the mule situation, Have a read of Liran's thread here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...egends-efficiently-and-become-a-madman.32119/ . It'll give you the strongest indication on how to play as efficiently as possible - yes this would be considered an extreme but to be frank i started off casually as well thinking i'll just reach 4th job to accomplish a younger me's goal (since the highest i ever reached was 50 back in gms) and now i find myself pushing 15x thinking alright! let's get to 200! lol.

at any rate, voting for nx on second accounts is free and only takes up ~5 extra minutes of your time to do it - push comes to shove you can always use that second account for smegaphones/FM Owls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    9:54 PM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I think most people stick around largely because of the social aspect here. It's pretty cool that almost everyone who rediscovers maple is like 20-30 years old, and plenty of people play this game just to chat. I'm not sure there are any communities quite like this. This server is also hella established with a large active player base, and a committed staff that works hard as hell - there are constant balance changes and like 6-7 big server events per year.

If you want to progress into different things like 4th job and bossing and the like, hell yeah it's a grind. But you can progress at your own pace all the way, and like anything else it's as enjoyable as the people you find to spend your time with. You can play this game 100% as a solo player or play with friends the entire way through. I'd say there's plenty to do no matter what you choose. Hope you enjoy man

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    10:54 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    MapleStory, much like its cousin Mabinogi, was developed by Neckson to be this MMORPG that placed heavy emphasis on the social aspect of the game. Sure the levels and the grind is pretty gruelling at times (not all the time, but some key points like right before 120), but there are guilds and players out there that care less about the levels/grind and more so about the social interaction, which I think is amazing.

People before me have talked about how bossing is mechanically boring, but is done because you get to spend time with friends. Even if you're not at a bossing level, there are some guilds that focus on chilling out by playing mini-games like Omok, skribble, or monopoly deal, etc etc. Yeah those are non-MapleStory games at the end, but you're playing them with MapleStory friends :p You can also indulge in one of iconic past times of Maplers, which is FMhoeing or Henehoeing. Just sitting around, talking to people and seeing the various type of people MapleStory brings together. And maybe even find a loved one xD #DateLegends

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    9:54 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    it’s ok if you dont have time. this game is best played casual.

late game players here go through same mental abuse from doing the same thing everyday and become toxic.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Yunxi

Yunxi Blue Snail

Jun 10, 2020
    This sounds like a great community. And I'm so glad to hear that for once I can get into a game where players are mostly in the same age group as I am. I think I really will enjoy playing this game - thank you!

Wow, I'm completely sold. This sounds so different from any game I've played before. I'm really glad I posted here to get your guys' perspectives :)

12. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    4:54 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Tl;dr all the comments so far but
    I really hate grinding and yet I'm still addicted.
    I may not be the most efficient player, in fact I took my sweet-ass time, and didn't make mules or a mage.
    I'm not even always social about it either, and I have no few quests to show for my solo play time. Though, those times where I did have a social aspects are probably what keeps me around.

I've just had fun exploring the game, and any mechanic or aspect of it that exists. PQ's, quests, some grinding yeah but no pressure about it. I did a bunch of merching and got the funds to even join the leech game for a while when I reached a stalling point. Merching itself is fun sometimes too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1