1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to counter white scrolls and cs being a tax free currency

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Toon, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    9:51 PM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    White scrolls and cs are an important way of progression in the game and the price has been rising and rising. One of the reasons of this is the scroll being used as a tax free currency instead of being used for scrolling. This is bad for the game because white/ cs scrolling is an important part of the end game. Not saying that they should be easier to obtain but being a tax free currency is just bad for end game players and for the market itself. Therefore, White scrolls/cs should be tradeable when first obtainable through gacha. After the first trade, it should get untradeable and to make it tradeable again you have to go to a npc and pay/buy an item that cost 2.5% of the scroll average price. The 2.5% can change every patch. Although, you should be able to store your ws/cs anytime despite being temporary untradeable.
    Another way would be like in royals with the 1B coin. There, you have to pay 30M to trade that coin. The same could happen here with cs/ws with a 2.5% of the average price of the scroll payment. You insert the value on the trade and it’s taken as a tax.

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    8:51 PM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Firstly I feel like this is way too difficult to implement and would require a whole new system and tracking of data on an item individually which I don't think will ever happen.

Secondly, the only reason these items are used as currency is because they're high ticket items. If a different item has a decent quantity in market with a high value, it would also be used.

I don't think the fact that these are being used as currency is the reason the price is going up. I think there are more end game users using the scrolls than number of new users or non-end game users selling the scrolls.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    well royals has the 30M tax upon trade of a 1B coin implemented so it shouldn’t be that hard for legends as our team is much better coding. In spite of more players using ws, the tax free currency nature of it remains and this makes speculation possible/ bad for the economy as people don’t pay the tax for high trades.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    There are lots of people who hold lots of white scrolls as currency because the price is going up (among other reasons). I think people buying them for scrolling is still one factor for the rising price, but I wouldn't discount the demand from people just looking to hold them. Mesos have been deflating while white scrolls rise, it's a lot more convenient to hold scrolls than having meso mules, and like Toon said, they aren't subject to taxes.
    --
    If we want WS to be less valuable then we can either directly try to decrease its value, or try to increase its value. Having a tax on them would be a good idea to make them less valuable, but it would be hard to implement since you would need the market price available and correct at all times.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    The difference is that 3% of 1b will always be 30m and this isn't any way as hard to implement as a dynamic price tracking for specific items, which although probably doable, can even cause other problems beyond what we can see now to the market.
    I don't think the game should punish players who want to, for example, speculate with values of assets. Probably people tend to hold this specific items mostly because of the populational boom reaching end game, making these items more desirable, increasing its price, so it's a nice thing to protect your money. I already did that with other items I was supposing would have a price increase and profited!, and it can be done with any item to be honest, but cs/ws were the items that people saw with the highest potential to deflate instead of inflate recently, so what's the deal with that?

Edit 1:
    Also, remember the 1b coin was made to make it possible for wealthy people to store higher amounts of mesos properly, which I'm not sure if Legends have some other work around that because I'm broke af. So without it people can either:
    1 - Store max meso * 6(?) per account (6 being the max number of chars per account, but I'm not sure if its 5 or 6)
    2 - Buy CS/WS and HODL!!!

Not saying we should have 1b coin though :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:51 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Actually I would say that mesos aren't deflating anymore. A lot of changes have been made since I originally brought up this idea of our economy having a poor balance of meso gain & meso drain/sink. Notable examples are boss ETCs giving mesos, introduction of mini dungeons at popular locations, chocolate baskets giving HB thereby cutting down on pot usage costs.

The reason WS continue to go up would be based on the fact:
    • Extremely limited supply (from events and gacha)
    • Disproportionate amount of demand (each person that wants to use WS uses like 50-70)
    • Above two make the market trend for it continue to go up, leading to some owners of WS to hold (betting on it increasing even more in price down the line)
    • Above three causes a market scare, leading to some people panic buying now before WS go up even more
    • Above reason contributes back to the idea of limited supply (in the market) + causing market trend to rise up steeply over a short period of time
    [​IMG]
    Credits: owlrepo.com

You can clearly see the price jump occuring everytime the # of WS in market (available to owl) drops down. In the past week, you see it jump from 175 to 187 mil (6.8% increase) based off of it too.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Putting in a 1bil coin exchange is much easier and makes more sense to me personally. I also played a game in my past that had a similar exchange so you could hold more money and trade them as items instead of having a limit.

But adding all the trade locks and tracking onto a white scroll so it can be taxes, not to mention (as previous user stated) taking into account current market value, that this would just not be feasible.

Also again agree with Nise's point.

With the addition of PB and new end-game equipment, a new target for the rich end game users to min/max the gear was created. This caused an increase in the demand for white scrolls in order to make new perfect gear from timeless/reverse equipments. Each item would take up to 100 white scrolls to perfect, and this is just for 1 item for 1 player. The amount of white scrolls actually coming into the market aren't as high as the demand is. The more they are purchased, the more the cost goes up. The more the cost goes up and they are still being purchased, the more the cost goes up.

8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:51 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    If white scrolls expired, we'd see a clearer picture of their utility value.

• Agree Agree x 19
  9. Rehab

Rehab Mushmom

Dec 21, 2016
    Male
    This brings me so many memories of my beloved Venezuela...FoxF1

There 10 years ago the exact same thing happened with the foreign currency market (dollars), since it was extremely difficult to get (due to government measures) to travel the value of this (dollars) was inflated, so that a market was created parallel of buying and selling dollars that increased week after week until a moment came when it was unstoppable.
    Mesos = Bolivar and WS = Dollar FoxF6

The problem obviously increased due to the country's lack of production and its rentier dependence on oil. But it all started with that nefarious idea of preventing regular access to foreign currency and therefore by creating less supply and having so much demand the price went to hell.
    Most of this has nothing to do with Maple, but it brought me sad memories hahahaOnionDead

PS: you shouldn't have wasted your time reading thisOnionCrazyOnionCrazyOnionCrazy

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    That’s true, mesos haven’t been deflating anymore. My bad, I still have my head stuck in the past on that one :p

I can't fully get behind your explanation for the price rising being caused by limited supply, and I don’t think the graphs provide sufficient evidence for that. Two reasons for that:

1. The notion that prices depend on quantities and quantities depend on prices, making it difficult to discern which one is causing the other to change.

Their interdependence comes from the idea they are determined simultaneously by buyers and sellers wanting to make a trade at a given price + quantity, i.e. by a supply curve intersecting a demand curve. So we don't observe anything about the supply and demand curves' movements or shapes, simply that they have intersected. When market price and quantity change, the data can't show us whether it was because supply changed, demand changed, or both (this issue is formally referred to as simultaneity bias).

To illustrate, if y = 2x and we see (x,y) move from (1,2) to (2,4), we can't claim that x caused y to change because y = 2x also implies x = 0.5y. ​

2. Data quality

Prices listed in owls might not accurately depict market prices. I would guess at least half, maybe 3/4 of all white scrolls listed don’t reflect the actual price. There’s a significant amount coming from people with multiple white scrolls listed at crazy high prices, who seem to have no intention of selling. Based on this, if I'm in the market for white scrolls, I'd buy up all the reasonably priced ones and then on the next owl you'd see the median price jump up and the quantity go down.​

Plus, the quantities listed also depend on whether people take the time to list. Yesterday there was someone with 9 white scrolls up at 200m each, and maybe 20 ish up at 180~190. If that person’s store closes, quantity is reduced by a third while median price barely changes.​

Also, since a lot of these owl snapshots are taken far apart from each other (looks like ~1 week apart usually), any correlation could simply be detecting random variation.​

If we ignore data quality issues for a moment, we can consider methods use to tease out causal relationships from data and mitigate the issue in #1. In a nutshell, you need some kind of shock to supply that is random and independent of demand, or vice versa. The hard part is finding a truly random + independent event, because for the same reason in #1, you can't prove that it would be independent of supply/demand because we can't observe either of those.

The best scenario I can think of would be the v-day event, which caused a positive increase in supply--but keep in mind that even then it's not a great pick, because buyers might have been anticipating price reductions and changed their behaviour accordingly. Based on prices from my own purchases and others' purchases/sales, WS prices were around 165m at the beginning of the event and 185m as of yesterday. I think this is a decently strong argument that limited supply is not the driving factor of prices going up.

Of course, I can't prove that the event had no effect on demand, which my argument above hinges on, and I can't claim that what happened in the past month is illustrative of everyone's market behaviour over the past year. All I can do is give some evidence of my argument and remind everyone that humans are not machines or particles in a lab, meaning that we behave irrationally and it's very difficult to use data to explain why we do the things we do. We can talk about what factors are important and maybe bring in fancy econometric tools to investigate, but at the end of the day it's impossible to "prove" anything about human behaviour the way you can "prove" things in physics or math. BTW This commentary isn't directed at Nise, it's just a message I want to get across in general :)

• Great Work x 13
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  11. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    8:51 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Quality post.

While this is generally true in real life, but with so much logging that ML have, I think we can predict such movements really easily in ML's controlled environment. Since I believe every ws creation/trade/usage is being tracked in the server. The data can be easily filtered out to see, % of ws being hoarded, % of ws being actually used, % of ws being traded, $ of ws being traded, over different period of time wrt to ws creation rate. You can see why is the price change due to whatever reason. With this, you can even effectively peg the price of white scroll to something something, through adjusting the demand or supply.

Of course, these would take a lot of work and some specialty to really analysis though those data.