1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to play without HP Washing (new player guide)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by thewayman, Mar 25, 2020.

1. thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    10:17 AM
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    A lot of the times you see people always say "you have to HP wash", "you have to get int gear" and what not if you want to be successful at bosses and what not.

The fact is, maplestory was made with out hp washing being a huge impact thing because if you did it you most likely were so rich it didn't matter or you wasted your money. I rarely ever heard of people hp washing maybe 1 or 2 times and they just had money to burn I guess (IRL money not mesos or anything).

I had a hermit that did fine in GMS, as many hermits (later NL's) did fine before 4th job was even a thing.

The Number 1 thing: to do is learn placement, maplestory has 2d graphics and you have to understand how and where to place your character to avoid the big hits all together or survive one every now and then. This could mean learning how to dark screen BF and move around him to get him in the corner.
    To me this means for a ranged point of view to abuse ledges and stay away from the floor all together. The makers of this game knew not everyone would have 30k hp magically and abuse hp washing because it wasn't a narrow concept.

Second: This would fall under equipment, having a zhelm makes a huge difference in terms of defense and hp (stats as well). Get one ASAP, as for the rest of your equipment go for what fits your job class and style there are plenty of guides on here you can find for your class on what to ware and what to use.

Third: Find and make best friends with DK's there is a reason they have Hyper Body. Maplestory was always intended for party and social play. NOTE: Dk's HB isn't a requirement unless you are bossing you can grind fine for the most part.

Keep in mind the way this game was made, they didn't make it where you had the full availability to HP wash it realistically just means you must wait a little longer to move training spots or to do a boss. It's like leeching, completely optional I don't do leeching because it doesn't give you the real old school maplestory vibes to afk on a rope lol. But hey play the way you want I just like to see more people play the original way and with many new players I see a lot of people quit because they get trashed/bombarded with this idea that they MUST HP WASH which isn't true at all. Spread the word, it isn't a requirement for new players!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Buch

Buch Brown Teddy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    4:17 PM
    Buch
    Cleric
    i agree with all of your statements.

Wheres that scrolling/merching vid?

3. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    I couldn't make one man Animal crossing came out and other good games I play with my wife, you can keep up with my stream tho and see what I am up too. I might still make one in the future but time is limited because I have a real IT job working for a big company. (meaning like 500+ employees which is big to me haha)

4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Blue Snail

Mar 27, 2020
    Male
    11:17 AM
    Zerukoba
    Warrior
    No offense but this is less of a guide and more of just your opinion atm. I do like the BF example but you need more hard numbers and facts to back up your opinion. At the moment it is literally your word vs the word of someone who disagree when it comes to a newbie. Also even when ignoring that it isn't so much of a guide as you aren't really teaching something. Maybe give a few newbie friendly tips on how washing even works and let the user decide for themselves if it is worth their time? You basically just came out of the woodworks shouting don't do X where newbies might not even know what washing even is or what the heck you are talking about. What may help in your argument is how many int you actually need to even have an effect (believe it is 10 iirc), explaining the monster book and how it give a ring which ironically enough can be used for washing itself if the player later choose to do so which make getting it asap a good idea in general regardless of which side they may be on. You did speak a bit on Hyperbody which is good but you could express more on how often you actually get hyperbody on boss runs personally due to how freaking active MapleLegends is. I feel some newbies honestly underestimate how much the low channel count actually end up helping them to find good parties.

A real example you can give is how much mp (later hp) a player can realistically expect from washing from lv10 to at about level 70-ish (maybe even higher leveled examples if willing) without forgetting to equip the int gear even once and how it compare to a normal player at that level. Also your argument at the moment is that the player don't need to wash to enjoy the game, maybe suggest the best classes that don't require washing at all. I heard someone say Paladin and Hero don't even need it for Legends, only Dark Knight though unsure if they factor in HYperbody or not on that statement at all. Though no clue how right/wrong they were on that statement they are in general. I just feel you could had defended your side better instead of basically just saying "because I said so".

akashsky's guide on the matter is much more in line of how to support newbies not dealing with washing while giving raw facts that let the reader decide for themselves if they should listen or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tamanegi

tamanegi Red Snail

Mar 19, 2020
    11:17 PM
    where exactly in OP's post did he even say "don't do X" though? he literally said "play the way you want" and that it just "isn't a requirement" to wash. you sure you're not reading something that isn't there?

also speaking as a newcomer (just started a week ago), i did a whole bunch of reading on the forum before starting out and i gotta say the idea that you should be washing is so much more prevalent. i was nearly turned off from starting at all bc that sounded like a total pain in the ass even though i was interested in trying out maple experiences that i've missed out on in the past (which includes bossing). then ofc i found akashsky's thread which is great, although the general consensus seems to be that it is still encouraged for the job i was interested in playing. so the idea that washing is being bashed on is absolutely hilarious. so many guides and posts point it out as THE best option. you don't have to feel so personally attacked when someone tries to point out that there's no need to wash to play the game, y'know.

this thread is for those who choose NOT to wash, so why in the world should OP try to provide the pros or even a balanced view on washing? i mean sure, adding that wouldn't hurt and would be super helpful for newbies, but that'd be missing the point. this isn't a "WHY you shouldn't wash" thread, it's a "HOW to play without washing" thread.

i do agree that this thread could be improved with a bit more info/links to other relevant guides though haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    I like Tamanegi's points, I did say play THE WAY you want, most times people come to the forum to look at guides, that is a huge part of this place. I agree I am not giving a guide which, tbh a guide on not hp washing is like a guide on just playing maplestory the normal way, because it wasn't ever a huge part of the game. It was meant for mages so they had more hp essentially. But we all learned about it and TOOK ADVANTAGE of it, which is a fair game play mechanic and it should stay in the game. Just like leeching, I don't leech because to me it's boring, going through the 51-73 grind is hell and man is it fun to work your butt off and get it. I am sorry for the lack of links to other guides, I feel it can apply to all classes though, so I didn't feel a need. The best guide is the quest one IMO, anyone new to the game should read that guide to learn the questing early game which helps A LOT haha. I do agree that these are concepts more than guides and if that isn't allowed I am sorry. I just want people new to the game to not be bashed by the hard community that ML's is I mean as someone that was once new this community can be very ... you know the word. Only because we aren't a custom to change here it's been the same for a while. Which again is fair and fine imo I love the way the game is. But we don't need to say that hpwashing is a must ever, notice at the start the first few things I say address that main issue. The rest is objective to one's opinion for sure. I have seen many people quit ML's because everyone said if they didn't hp wash they were wasting time and should start over. Well to a new player starting over when it probably took them a while to get to 50/ whatever level they are they would rather quit(not to even talk about how much meso they would need to buy the INT gear to do it). Think about it from a new player perspective and you understand a little more. I always try to put myself in the shoes of someone else to understand how they feel that is where my idea's and concepts come.

7. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    11:17 PM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    When someone ask me "is hp washing necessary?", I will never give a yes/no answer, I will link them to akashsky's guide https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/26370
    and let them decide for themselves.

Those casual players, you are definitely welcome to play your own style, but if you one day you do however decide to take end game seriously, you will definitely recreate new char.
    The first character is not a waste, it can be a storage mule or buff mule, its existence is the embodiment of memories you made in this game.
    Don't be scared when you see the word "recreate" or "start over", by the time you play your second character, you are more knowlegeable, have more funding.

To wash or not to wash, both sides have their own reasoning, we don't need to choose purely black or white, don't choose one side and reject the opposite entirely, be in the middle and see the full picture.

My advice is always to start multi voting on a spare account, so that if one day you decide to play washing character, you already accumulated some nx by that time.
    Even if you don't play washing character, voting on spare account do you no harm either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    8:17 AM
    Shadower
    Beaters
    just remember guys washing is optional

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1