1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Washing Necessary Nowadays?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OneEyedGuy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. OneEyedGuy

OneEyedGuy Blue Snail

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    6:12 AM
    I know, I know, this question probably make you roll your eyes but hey...

I'm a new ML player nosing around and not committed to this server yet. My reasoning for wanting to join the community is the fact that ML is highly populated and well established.

Are there any no-HP washing players out there? Ie. no second character with HP washing etc? Because I know I'll be singled out for not HP washing occasionally. I find it is no fun doing almost nothing, that has to be carried around. I know this post (and many thanks!): https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...washing-to-be-optional-on-maplelegends.26370/ - I am just curious to see if there are any players with similar mindset as me and any changes since this post. And perhaps spark a healthy discussion. Maybe you can change my mind, who knows?

2. OP
    OP
    OneEyedGuy

OneEyedGuy Blue Snail

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Just realized that there is Help & Advice sub forum. moderators, feel free to move this to this sub forum if that is correct place to post. P.S I tried to edit my thread but was blocked due to spam-like element and whatnot...

3. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    8:12 AM
    DMsRebirth
    You really don't need to wash unless you plan to do horntail. NT and toad are generally worthless to do on this server, but while not strictly necessary almost every job enjoys having higher HP in HT so they don't need to cling to HB, or can zerk more efficiently, or can do neat tricks like sticking on to leg to not get stunned or whatever. Unfortunately since HT is big experience and money in endgame (there's a huge difference in income between a character who does HT regularly and a character who doesn't), you really do want to wash for HT.

And honestly, washing isn't nearly as unreasonable as it sounds. Even with zero MW and INT gears other than a zhelm at level 50 and a deputy star at level 80, 120 base INT will give ranged classes "enough" HP for HT at a decent time, and will not cripple your damage in the mean time (especially since almost everyone does it anyways). Melee classes need even less since they have good conversion rates on MP to HP (or in shadower's case they need less HP to begin with). The amount of NX needed may seem daunting at first glance, but it takes time to level a character up there too, and you'll be getting more than the needed amount of NX through that time period unless you have extreme focus on levelling.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Mixed Golem

Feb 7, 2018
    Anyone who tells you this is an HP washing optional server is straight up lying to you. People who are above lvl 175 and haven't hp washed is such a rare sight; they have either quit the game entirely or started a 2nd character that has HP washed. You go around and talk to characters if they haven't washed enough and see if they enjoy not being able to run HB-less HT (which is pretty common nowadays) and having to pot after every attack or saying "sorry I can't join I don't have enough hp". If you plan on joining the server and being above lvl 155 and not sitting in the fm 24/7 you better start washing, there's no way around it.

It isn't fun to wash but everyone does it, what you should do is start two characters: 1 attacker that you are washing and then a mage. You will get carried everywhere you go on your washing character from kpq all the way to shaolin and that's the reality of the game. But at least you will still be able to play your mage and sell leech to fund your attacker.

HP washing optional tag on GTOP is a disservice to new players that lulls them into the server but once they realize it's not optional they either remake their characters entirely or just quit.

• Agree x 10
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    You don't need to go this far lol just get like 120 base INT (or less for shads/brawler/warriors; shads and brawler can get away with like 80-90 probably, fighter/pages can get away with maybe 40 and DrKs need 20 at most). Having more HP above that is only for comfort and in no way necessary any more.

6. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    8:12 PM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    Everyone has different goal and different way of enjoying the game, tips from other players are only helpful to a certain extent

When you play long enough to get to high level, you are more knowledgeable, remaking and levelling up a new char don't take a long time anymore (except accumulating nx, so start multi vote and accumulate Nx on several spare accounts)
    Don't be afraid to make mistakes, go on the game, experience it on your own.
    By the time you decide to create a new char, you have already accumulated few hundred thousand NX if not million)

7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:12 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    100% agree with what RegalStarRegalStar said. However, you don't need to HT to make very good mesos.

The tryhard 1hit skele leechers with their mule armies make more mesos per hour (on average) than 6 man HT squads.

8. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    Xeph
    Bishop
    Till now, still feel this forum thread is 100% accurate. Whoever told you HP washing is optional is straight up lying, or has no intention to go far into the game. Unless u intend to duck, jump and avoid and make gameplay obnoxious for the next 1000 boss runs of your life, please HP wash. Just my personal thoughts.

As a matter of what I see, many people tell you that you can wash less and enter HT with HB. That's the theory, but in reality, most of these people do HT without HB too. Maybe 30% of runs have HB, and even so, pretty sure half of them are in the cleave party (for 12 man runs).

9. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    It is never a question of "should I wash?", but rather "how much should I wash?". Playing the game without any washing is just absurd in this day and age, but that doesn't mean you have to wash as hard as some of the people around you. Light washing with a very modest amount of base int is really not that difficult, and is sufficient as a bare minimum to participate in all of the content available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    OneEyedGuy

OneEyedGuy Blue Snail

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It seems while I could skip HP washing, I will not be able to reach endgame efficiently (which IMO is what ultimate goal is). Which is, in my opinion, kind of unfortunate. It looks like as though I'll be remain as lurker here. You guys really have good community and stability. Hopefully ML staff could find a good compromise for new and old players (good luck) in future.

Happy Mapling!

11. echung379

echung379 Brown Teddy

Oct 16, 2017
    Cookiee
    Hero
    If you're making a ranged class, i highly encourage you to hp wash.

If you're making a warrior class, you should still wash but don't have to wash as heavily.

From my personal experience, 80%+ of people i know who hit 120 and didn't wash ended up quitting or remaking a new hp washed char. As much as they say "hp washing is optional," from my experience with people i know, most people that don't wash ended up regretting it.

12. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Copy-pasted from AlyoshaAlyosha

If the goal is end-game then you should be washing as much as you can and have the patience for. There's a significant portion of players who either quit or have to remake because they didn't wash as much as they would have wanted and are frail because of that. People try to be nice in the short term by saying there are other options but they'll never tell you about how you could end up resenting a character due to never feeling safe doing content and reliant on DKs just to not get 1-shot. If you don't wash and get all the HP gear you still wouldn't be anywhere near HT at 150+. You'd need to be close to 180 if you don't wash, which is like 9 billion exp above when a lot of your friends have when they kill HT at 160. Honestly it's probably faster to remake a character with more HP from 1-160 than it is to level a character 160-180 without Horntail or any bosses that hit more than 5k. It's a silly amount of progress to just skirt by and get barely enough HP for HT if you don't wash. Honestly any end-game people trying to give HP washing advice should post how much they've washed their characters to, especially their recent ones. All of the "You don't really have to wash" talk is starting to sound dishonest in an effort to keep people happy until they reach level 70 or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    5:57 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Please remove HP washing optional tag from gtop ;(

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. OP
    OP
    OneEyedGuy

OneEyedGuy Blue Snail

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Agreed. Until ML staff actually made it HP washing optional. Ie. enough scrolls & equipments that would be equal to players who do extreme HP washing - so that it is actually optional, not an inferior option.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There seems to be a direct correlation to length of time played on this server vs. willingness to wash.
    If you're planning on playing this game longer than a year, it makes sense to wash on your accounts earlier, or at least voting for NX on an alternate account.
    Washing is optional in the sense that you can probably get by in most situations using what is already provided - HP-based end-game equipment, HyperBody, etc. It becomes a lot easier to survive, but that's ultimately a player-skill issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    To me washing is optional in the sense that so much content in the game does not actually require washing to do. The only content that really requires HP washing to do are HT, NT (overrated) and Pink Bean (not even out yet), right? Well here's a confession; as someone with a level 160 character I still haven't broken my HT virginity yet.

For most endgame players a massive portion of their life revolves around HT (and rightfully so), but the fact is there is a ton of content in the game that does not require washing. There are so many people I know who join the server, level to mid-3rd job and just FM hoe all the way, having fun and making friends. It is perfectly possible to have fun without washing, in fact in the short term I'd argue it is MORE fun without washing since you aren't playing a gimped intlord or high int archer.

This is why I'm hesitant to recommend a brand new player playing for nostalgia to wash without knowing their goals and intentions. If they are immediately scared off by the demoralizing prospect of levelling a high INT character (or needing to play a boring af class like cleric to 120 to leech), they won't ever get to really enjoy the feeling of the server.

So here's how I usually answer this question to new players: "well, how long do you think you are playing this game? If you're just here for nostalgia, making friends, KPQ, LPQ, "finally getting 3rd job" etc, then don't even bother. If you think you want to get good, go endgame, do all content, then yes, please at least look up washing. Though there's still a lot of fun without washing."

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    If HP washing is required to do ALL the content, then it is not optional.

The tag is misleading and I feel uneasy about ML having that tag as do my friends. Whenever a newcomer arrives in my guild and starts probing and asking, it doesn’t feel good to say “actually if you want to.........”

I don’t discount any of the truths here about enjoying ML without washing or also taking into consideration how long an individual intends to stay but to use HP washing optional tag seems disingenuous. Right now it serves the purpose of luring players in and hope they stay after finding out about the practicality of not washing end game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. CleverCookie

CleverCookie King Slime

May 28, 2017
    CleverCookie
    Night Lord
    Come join unwashed ranged gang.
    We're exclusive.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    What content is not possible without washing?
    You said it yourself - it's impractical, but practicality is optional, not required.

Edit: Also, the idea that people are entitled to all content on all characters is disingenuous. Should all classes be able to tank all bosses? No. Even in GMS, there were certain distinctions between Ranged and Tanky bosses. Not sure why you think it should be any different here. The possibilities have been expanded upon in this server because of people's dedication to HP washing.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Look at the post made by akash.

What? It is optional but not required? What are you trying to say? That’s like saying A = a

My point was made. I don't need to explain further.

• Like Like x 1