1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Washing

Discussion in 'Guides' started by thetavi, Apr 14, 2015.

1. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    7:39 AM
    What is HP Washing?
    HP washing is a method of obtaining more Max HP for your charcter.

Why should I HP wash?
    If you want to have more HP in order to tank hits without dying from certain bosses.

Okay, how do I HP wash?
    Ah, there's the rub. That's why I'm making this guide. If you just want to go out and do it, skip to "Tell me what to do".

HP washing in general is very simple. The basic idea is this:
    1) Put an AP into HP (note: level up AP gives more than a reset AP!)
    2) Use an AP reset to take a point out of MP, and put the point into main stats.

So, in order to HP wash you need to have extra MP to take the points out of. There is a minimum MP for each class, so the game will eventually stop you. The main concern with HP washing is getting more MP so that you can wash more points into your HP.

Every time you level up, you gain: 15 + (INT / 10) +/- 1 MP. Ergo, each time you level up, you will get an extra +1 MP for each 10 INT you have. (Additionally, you get a bit more than the minimum MP naturally anyway) What a lot of people don't know is that if you have extra INT, you will also gain more MP whenever you put an AP point into your MP pool. Knowing this, it is actually possible to wash infinitely.

For the data on minimum MP and reset data (I'll integrate this myself later): http://www.basilmarket.com/MapleStory-Guide-HP-Washing-A-Comprehensive-Guide-329.html

Well, how much INT do I need?
    That depends on what class you are and how much HP you want. Remember that if you ever don't have enough HP and want more, all you have to do is get enough INT that you gain more MP per AP than you lose when taking an AP out of MP. However, here's my recommendations. These are just guesstimates, so they are not accurate.

Magicians: Irrelevant due to Magic Guard.
    Shadowers: Irrelevant due to Meso Guard.
    Heroes, Paladins, and Buccaneers: The only reason you would want to wash is to do Bigfoot without HB. You won't need more than 10 base INT, and you'll probably need to wash between 10 and 30 times.
    Dark Knights: You want to wash to 18.6k HP base (30k with HB) to use berserk easiest. You will need around 10 INT and to wash around 120 times, more if you want to get it earlier.
    Night Lords, Bowmasters and Marksmen: It really depends on your HP goal, but for simply doing Horntail runs, my recommendation would be 50 INT. You will probably need to wash 60 or 70 times. To get to 12k base HP, my recommendation would be 120 INT. You will probably need to wash around 300 times.

Okay, that's all nice, but tell me what to do!
    You got it.

There are two options: Put some of your AP into INT, and/or equip gear that gives you additional INT. Most players choose to do a mixture of both. The more HP you want, the more you will want to invest in INT. For information on what gear to use to gain INT, see my Gear Guide.

Before you level up, be sure to equip all your gear that provides INT. After you level up, put 1 AP into HP. Use an AP reset to take out of MP, and put in main stats. Repeat as many times as you can.

Hey, I still need more HP but I can't take any more out of MP!
    Don't worry, you can still fix it. It's not easy, but here's how.

1) Equip INT gear. How much you need depends on your class. You need to gain more MP per AP than you lose from taking out.
    2) Use an AP reset. Reset out of your main stat and put a point in MP.
    2a) If you need more MP, use another AP reset. Rest out of MP and put into main stats. Repeat steps 2+2a as needed.
    3) Use an AP reset. Reset out of MP and put a point in HP.
    4) Use an AP reset. Reset out of MP and put a point in your main stats.

TL;DR
    http://www.basilmarket.com/MapleStory-Guide-HP-Washing-A-Comprehensive-Guide-329.html

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Abamita

Abamita Mushmom

Mar 30, 2015
    11:39 AM
    Abamita
    Chief Bandit
    Thanks for posting this guide. I think it's important that every forum has one, and yours explains things well. Just make sure it's clear that the (INT/10) portion of the formula has a floor function applied to it. (i.e. it will be rounded down) Right now, it's a little ambiguous.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    Nice guide. You should add in a something about double/triple/quadruple washing.

4. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    10:39 PM
    I'm not sure if double washing works here. I know it doesn't work on royals.

5. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    I don't play royals so eye dee kay.
    Double washing is funny but a total waste of NX. You should spend a good 888 (very auspiciours, do u know?~~~) years saving up NX before attempting it, or else you will spontaneously combust and all that will be left of you will be a baguette and a sombrero.

• Like Like x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Good point, I will make that explicit.

I haven't tried "double washing" yet, but I included how to do it at the bottom. As far as I'm concerned, a) that's a terrible name for the concept and b) there is no such thing as triple+ washing because that doesn't make sense. I have always just referred to it as "MP washing". I will check if it works as soon as I can.

7. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    10:39 PM
  8. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    How many would you suggest?

9. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    10:39 AM
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    I don't know the exact number tbh. If I knew the estimated clean HP of a lv 155 BM/NL that'd help. I'm currently leveling a hunter and I'll probably have 35-40 washes at 120. That'd net me around 700 HP and I'm pretty sure that'd be enough. I wish there was some sort of calculator to figure out estimated HP at a certain level. That'd definitely help, but I'm sure it doesn't take 50-60 washes to get 5.6k HP.

EDIT: 2 years late edit. 50-60 washes sounds reasonable. Idk why I was so alarmed by that number. Ignore me

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    I was airing on the side of too much over too little. Well, part of the problem is that the amount of HP you gain, like MP, is not a consistent number. There is some element of randomness. Knowing estimates however would be nice. I think all we'd need to know is the HP gained upon job advancement (1st and 2nd job I'm pretty sure are the only ones that grant more HP/MP). Then, the amount of HP gained per level/wash by each class. I'll research this.

11. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    9:39 AM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Ahhhhhhhhh washing. The numbers used are vastly underestimated. In my opinion HP washing creates an incredibly tedious cycle as well as an add on to the economy that simply makes a few of the more enjoyable parts of the game much harder to attain for the vast majority. If some enjoyable, equal way of rewarding AP resets was thought of, coupled with an NPC that is able to repeatedly raise your characters minimum MP value to the amount it requires for one wash (those who want to make the decision wash without the existence of MP washing would almost always be at minimum MP anyway), HP washing could be eliminated from the NX system altogether.

I understand that something like this isn't 'GMS' like, but consider this: The only way to currently obtain 'Legends' cash is through time, and the only way to HP wash is to use legends cash obtained through time. Therefore, through a system GMS created, the only way many classes in the game will be able to defeat some of the larger bosses in the game who reward some of the largest item and experience bonuses available will be through the time they spent either voting for the server, or through exploiting others time based reward for their washing needs (with the use of mesos).

As long as time based cash exists as the main form of it entering this game, I'm all for removing the washing element from being a main part of the economy in the interest of having equality over bosses, the items, and experience they give. Why keep a system that was arguably created to exploit REAL profit from GMS players, and switch that value to time/the exploitation of labor? but thats just my two cents :)

Edit: Here are some numbers
    Beginner +8~12HP, -8MP
    Warrior +50~54HP -4MP
    Thief +20~24 HP -12MP
    Bowman +16~20HP -12MP
    Magician +6~10Hp -90MP
    Pirate +16~20HP (+36~40HP for Brawlers) -16MP

(This is for after 2nd job advancement)
    Min MP Formula for Beginner = 10 x level + 2
    Min MP Formula for Spearman class = 4 x level + 156
    Min MP Formula for Fighter class = 4 x level + 56
    Min MP Formula for Bowman = 14 x level + 148
    Min MP Formula for Thief = 14 x level + 148
    Min MP Formula for Pirate = 18 x level + 111

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    @Nikki@Nikki I agree it's really silly. The easiest solution I can think of is simply to award more HP upon leveling up, such that even the "squishy" classes will survive a hit from bosses by level 200.

13. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    10:39 AM
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Yeah I suppose you're right. Too much over too little.

14. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    @thetavi@thetavi That would definitely be the easiest route. Another route could be taken in the form of incentivizing low leveled players to 'train' to take on maplestory's boss monsters, and reward them with resets or HP. Thinking a questline, or pq, or both that would focus on teaching players on 'how' to take down these endgame monsters, with the reward for completing it being given the ability to do so (the HP/resets/etc)

Something though, should be done so that the 'endgame' boss drops/experience doesn't involve having to expoit the labor/time/legendscash of the majority to create a vast surplus of resets for yourself so that you can have enough HP to survive.

15. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Fully agreed. I don't think it's too bad right now, as I was discussing with @crisk21@crisk21, to tank Horntail does not require that much washing. If we ever got Pink Bean though... that would definitely be broken.

16. Huggybear

Huggybear Blue Snail

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    2:39 PM
    Felix, Huggy, Huggybear
    Beginner
    Nice short guide on this subject. You put the core points in it and I really really like the recommendation on base int for different jobs. I would like to point something out, because I think this guide is missing some crucial information for Brawlers and Warriors though:
    The way of HP washing you describe in "Okay, how do I HP wash?" is different from what you describe in "Okay, that's all nice, but tell me what to do!". The first option would get Brawlers and Warriors less HP per wash than the second option. (This is assuming the mechanics actually ARE GMS like and not like Royals.) For most classes the difference between hp gain per level up AP and reset AP is pretty small, but for these 2 classes it's a lot.

•Brawler class:
    Reset AP: 20 HP
    Level-up AP: 40 HP (with maxed out [​IMG] Improve MaxHP skill)

• Warrior class:
    Reset AP: 20 HP
    Level-up AP: 50 HP (with maxed out [​IMG] Improving Max HP Increase skill)

17. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Thanks for your feedback - that information is there actually, but I don't emphasize as much as I should. The "tell me what to do" section is meant to just offer the quick answer to lazy people who just want to do it without reading the rest. :p

I fixed the first section to say it more directly.

18. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Hmm, maybe introduce an interesting questline/party element from 70-140 that involves 'training legenders how2boss,' with the end result being a level 120ish boost of HP to minimum 6k, and a level 140-150 boost to minimum 10-11k (Pink bean HP). For nostalgias sake, this could be optional and not give a large amount of EXP. Of course, the attack of the monsters that exist in some 4th job training grounds would also have to be raised, also.

This would provide content in an area that has always lacked content (70-120) and solve the problem of AP Reset HP washing tediousness practically taking over the economy as it has in some other servers (royals, gms)

Sorry to get offtopic in your thread, HP washing is just a silly thing and i'm attempting to explore as many options as I can to attempt and change a system that just doesn't work on a sustainable level :p

19. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    3:39 PM
    Can u recommend a job where HP Washing is very useful?

20. OP
    OP
    thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    No worries, I totally agree with getting rid of HP washing. It's a silly concept.

By the way, the minimum HP for Pink Bean is around 13.5k HP - so before HB, that's about 8.5k HP clean.

Another server had HP quests that basically involved going 'around the world' killing bosses in order to get a small boost to your HP. I'd like to see something like that. We could reuse the certificates that drop from Papulatus, Pianus and Zakum and have them be the quest items to boost your HP.

Dark Knight because of the berserk skill. It activates and increases your damage when you are below 50% HP. So to use it at bosses that hit a lot of damage, you want a very high Max HP. For example, Bigfoot will hit around 10-12k damage (depending on Achilles). So, to be safe you need 12k+ HP. For that to be only half your HP, you need a total of 24k+ HP. Before HB, that's around 15k HP. Even as a warrior, you will need to wash to reach that clean HP.