1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

IGN change prices are ridiculous, make no sense & should be changed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BadWolf, Sep 26, 2016.

1. BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    6:03 AM
    $20 to change a name, $50 to change a name to one that is already taken by a player who quit. I can't see the reasoning for these price tags. For less than $50 you can get Skyrim with all the DLCs and that's around 300 hours of gametime for 1 playthrough(Even around $15 if you buy it from G2A). I don't think even GMS would charge $50 to simply clear a name(my specific request before even making a character). Blizzard doesn't even charge for simply clearing names.

I think it would be way more reasonable to charge $10 to simply change a name to one that isn't taken or that is taken, and then $15 for a name that is taken and ABOVE level 30(and obviously the two options should require the player to not have logged in for a long time). I'm not going to pay $40 because a level 15 played a few hours and quit.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'd be interested to know your opinions.

• Like Like x 4
  2. beamcasting

beamcasting Capt. Latanica

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    11:03 PM
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    I think it should be 5 bucks like Jesus Christ its just a fucking name. Its kind of ripoff to change your name then to get all DLCs for a triple a title. I believe even in the us it costs 65 bucks to change your real name but it can be even up to 50 in a fucking video game. This has to really change. And their shouldn't even be a price difference between a lv 15 char who only spent 3 hours then never played again and changing your current chars name to something that wasn't taken. That lv 15 char the guy doesn't play anymore and probably won't again.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ChiefBandit

ChiefBandit Slimy

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Mother
    Warrior
    Synergy
    Why do you need to change the name? Its part of the game, once you choose a name its yours. I suggest they even remove that option at all if were changing something.
    And its not healthy to compare video games to real life.
    I wouldnt want to see people changin their name every second day, if it exists it should be pricey so people wont do it more then once.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    12:03 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I would cry all over night day and days if this was accepted and my IGN was taken by someone else while I was quitted for 11 months......
    but wait. was it possible to get others IGN already made?!

+1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

4:03 AM
    You were always able to take an inactives ign.

6. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    You asked: Why do you need to change the name?
    My answer: I've been using my IGN since around 10 years ago, and if someone registered, created a character, and played a few hours or a couple days and reached before even passing level 30, I think it's reasonable to let someone who wants to play have the name of a low level player who quit.

You said: We should remove that option(?)
    My reply: If someone quit, I think it's reasonable to let someone else have their name. Under that circumstance, it's also a nice way for players to donate to the server. Given the current outrageous price tags of IGN changes, I think the second best decision after lowering the cost would be to remove the option altogether.

You said: It's not healthy to compare video games to real life(?)
    My reply: You didn't really explain why simply comparing video games to real life is an uhealthy thing. I think it can be useful to compare video games to real life.

You said: I wouldnt want to see people changin their name every second day, if it exists it should be pricey so people wont do it more then once.
    My reply: What is your reason for expecting an IGN change to be purchased every second day for $10? Most people in this server don't name their characters variations of the name they want. You rarely ever see someone with numbers in their IGN, and it's even more rare to see someone would typed two v's instead of a w, or a capital i isntead of l. The current $50 price tag of changing your IGN to an inactive player's IGN is insane and has no required level. We can debate about whether there should be a higher price to clear a level 70's name, but when you're talking about people who never progressed characters in their accounts at all and simply quit after a few days, there is no logical reason to pay more than the standard price, and the standard price is already double a reasonable price.

In that case, we shouldn't be able to change an IGN to one that is taken by an active account without first asking that player if they'd mind someone donating to the server to change their IGN. That sounds like a great policy to add. I think anyone who hasn't been playing for a whole year and has no character above level 30 should just have their IGN changed if someone wants it instead and purchases an IGN change, and they(the player who had their IGN changed) can be given a free IGN change. What do you think about that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    5:03 AM
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    FeelsBadMan

• Like Like x 7
  8. Drakonark

Drakonark Slime

Aug 6, 2016
    Male
    Canada
    10:03 PM
    Drakonark
    I/L Arch Mage
    Flawless
    Donators should be safe from having their names taken.... That new player that creates a name, plays for 2 hours and quits, likely isn't a donstor.

9. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    I agree. Donators should be safe from having their names taken but it should also be possible to take if they were asked and agreed to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Colin

Colin Orange Mushroom

Jun 8, 2016
    Male
    10:03 PM
    Trinative
    Dragon Knight
    Basic
    Well when your old name was asgaeish1 it's worth it :^)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    Can someone dc julie for a week so I can be nubjulez

Also id like to add that since top players quit what concensus would you have to take names. 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? Level req?

People save names for a purpose. They started earlier and get rewarded thus.

An idea would be any character under 30 and inactive for ____ time period.

$10 should be enough, as even gms has this amount and $25 for world changes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    It's really just a nice motive to donate, changing an IGN only takes a minute. Top players should have their names reserved... I mean, a lot of very obvious limits should be made and, are even obvious and don't require mentioning. The current price is an issue, but the fact that anyone inactive can have their name taken right now is also an issue.

13. Hyoon

Dec 1, 2015
    But donations shouldnt have that much power. Aesthetics is nice but this is the power to take from someone else. People hold true to their igns and identify with them. It could also be a mule for future characters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Donating to get an IGN of someone who quit is not giving anyone power, it's letting people have a name not in use. It's also helping the server out. There can be ground rules like if none of their characters are above level 30 and their account is inactive, it's ok to take their name as they basically quit. Other reasonable ground rules were brought up here earlier, too. Right now, anyone can take any IGN of anyone who has been inactive for a long time. for an insane price tag. That's broken.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hyoon

Dec 1, 2015
    That's hard to say. Who's stopping them from coming back. No one really quits, half of the I quit threads on the forums are waste.

And what is considered a long time. 8 hour ht run is a long time. 3 month break is a long time. The perception of a long time can be so bias.

16. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    If an account that only has characters under level 30 has been inactive for half a year, it's only fair to give the name to someone who wants to play. If someone donated, they have a right to be asked if they want to give a name and only if they agree it should be given. Any high level (60+?) should have their name saved for 1 year instead of 6 months, maybe forever, unless they agreed that someone else will have it. It's not hard to say at all. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

4:03 AM
    Vince coming back hypu? Btw ofcourse you can take my ign and pretend to be me, im kind of done rn anyways.

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:03 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    -Anytime an account is linked as being a donator: all character names are safe. (Mule accounts aren't, however)
    -You can only change a character's name once every 6 months.
    -Account with no character off maple island or above level 9, 1 month inactivity.
    -Account with no character above level 29, 3 months inactivity.
    -Account with no character above lv 44, 6 months inactivity.

And I wouldn't want to take names from anyone higher than those levels tbh...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    BadWolf

BadWolf King Slime

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Now what about the price? I propose 10,000 donor nx.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  20. ChiefBandit

ChiefBandit Slimy

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    Mother
    Warrior
    Synergy
    Why are donator accounts are safe?