1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Imminent Buccaneer Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by joota, May 31, 2020.

1. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    3:09 AM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Updated 5/31 11:43 PM ST: numbers on the spreadsheet were correct but mapped to the wrong slots in the graph; also added tighter gridlines to fix visual bug.
    Updated 6/1 7:21 PM ST: added suggestion to increase range on SI

Last thread, I promise.

Since GMs have indicated that some buccaneer changes are on their way, I just wanted to post a few changes I had in mind. I know I've posted my thoughts before, but here's a more refined version after talking to more and more people, and this will include numbers to justify changes unlike my last thread.

Overview of Suggested Changes
    1) [BUFF] Change Energy Charge to charge for each line of attack
    2) [NERF] Increase the number of attacks needed to proc Energy Charge by 50%
    3) [NERF] Increase the decay rate of Energy Charge while charging
    4) [BUFF] Make the bonus attack from Energy Charge stackable again
    5) [QoL] When Energy Charge activates, make it appear as a buff on the top right corner
    6) [QoL] Cast Demolition only when there is a target available
    7) [QoL] Allow Energy Orb to hit multiple stationary monsters

Suggested Changes

[BUFF]s and [NERF]s

1) [BUFF] Change Energy Charge to charge for each line of attack

i.e. Demolition charges 8 times, Barrage charges 6 times, Double Uppercut charges 2 times, all other attacks stay the same

Energy Charge currently takes 44 attacks on monsters (not lines of damage), which works well for grinding, but during bosses Energy Charge becomes somewhat useless. Demolition and Barrage, which take 1.8~2* seconds per attack (but hits 6~8 lines) charges the same amount as Flash Fist or Double Uppercut (1~2 lines), which take 0.45~0.9 seconds. It takes 88* seconds to proc Energy Charge in Super Transformation and 60 seconds without Super Transformation (using Barrage+Double Uppercut; 64 seconds using Barrage+Dragon Strike). This means on average, we spend 39%* of the time with Energy Charge (i.e. with stance). Since getting out of position is a big deal when bossing, especially, for melee attacks, I propose making it easier to proc Energy Charge for single target attacks

2) [NERF] Increase the number of attacks needed to proc Energy Charge by 50%

i.e. 66 charges to proc Energy Charge

Changing Energy Charge to charge faster with multi-hit single target attacks means on Energy Charge will be up on average 80.3%* of the time which seems too high given our decent avoidability and iframes. With the combination of change 1) and 2), on average, we would spend 73%* of the time with Energy Charge.

Let's compare the new numbers to warriors and shadowers at a boss that hits constantly like Horntail:

upload_2020-5-31_11-55-46.png

-Warrior: 10% chance of needing to reposition (trivial avoid and max Power Stance)
    -Shadower: 21.1% chance of needing to reposition (with 600 avoid and max Shadow Shifter)
    -Buccaneer (pre-changes): 42.9%* overall chance of needing to reposition (with 360 avoid and max Energy Charge)
    -Buccaneer (post-changes): 22.7%* overall chance of needing to reposition (with 360 avoid and max Energy Charge)
    This comparison isn't entirely fair because shadowers and buccaneers have iframes, but you get the point. I'm not sure how to quantify iframes into this.

The changes would make fighting bosses a lot more manageable, reducing the number of times we need to reposition by half. This might seem like a big buff (which it is), but the stance we got from Energy Charge has been very trivial all this time.

Note: this is an overall nerf to marauders (3rd job), since they would have Energy Charge on a lot less than 71%, since Marauders don't have access to multi-hit single target attacks.

3) [NERF] Increase the decay rate of Energy Charge while charging

i.e. Energy Charge takes 2 minutes to decay to 0 charge (when charging)

When Energy Charge is still charging and the user doesn't attack a monster, the charge built up decays. 1 Attack away from fully charging Energy Charge to 0 charge takes about 8 minutes to decay:
    upload_2020-5-30_16-34-2.png
    (not an eye change... just a derp SS)
    Buccaneers are supposed to be multi-taskers, managing Super Transformation, Energy Charge, buffing others with SI, and allowing multiple Ressurections with TL all at the same time, so standing idle should have a bigger adverse effect than it currently does. Reducing the decay rate of charge to 2 minute makes it so that if you stand idle (e.g. during a weapon cancel in Zakum or HT) you'll have to make up that time.

4) [BUFF] Make the bonus attack from Energy Charge stackable again

i.e. can't be clearer

My original suggestion instead of this was to make Energy Charge last 120 seconds instead of 50 seconds as opposed to this change, but I was told by a few buccaneers that the bonus attack from Energy Charge used to stack with attack pots but it was removed without any notice (I can't find this change from previous balance updates; someone please confirm!). If the bonus used to stack, that might be a better change than increasing the duration of Energy Charge.

So with all these modifications, how do buccaneers do compared to other melee classes?

upload_2020-5-31_16-36-47.png

upload_2020-5-31_16-37-8.png

As a single target melee character, on full buffs, we are currently doing a lot less damage than both Heroes and Dark Knights, which are multi-hit characters. With the buffs mentioned, this would put us above all cleavers (shad, hero, drk), but not paladins.

[QoL]s

5) [QoL] When Energy Charge activates, make it appear as a buff on the top right corner

chargememe.png

When Energy Charge is activated, the charge bar just glows, so it's impossible to know how much time is left. This would be such a big QoL. Please make this change if it is possible!

6) [QoL] Cast Demolition only when there is a target available

Demolition has a very big vertical and horizontal range, but it makes it hard to know if you are actually hitting anything or not for bosses like Horntail or Zakum. Ranged characters have arrows, bullets/cannons, and stars to see what you are hitting and what you aren't hitting. Demolition shows a yellow flash on the target, but some targets don't show this animation or are mostly hidden, such as Zakum arms, Horntail tail, etc. When there are lots of people attacking a monster, it's impossible to know what you're hitting.

If anything, I think it's quite problematic that you can just spam Demolition without hitting anything for so many iframes if you're buying HTP or Zhelm service (using only ~300 hornsters at HT). Also, Barrage doesn't allow casting unless there's a monster, so I think it makes sense to make the two attacks consistent.

People have mentioned that this might make a few bosses problematic:
    -Big foot: if this change is made, you can spam Demolition and hit Big Foot every time, bypassing the boss's iframes. But since there are so many people in the server now, farming large numbers of big foot is basically impossible.
    -Vergamot: in Super Transformation, you can't dodge Vergamot's attacks by ducking for some reason, so buccaneers use Demolition to avoid the attacks, but it seems like a round about way of fixing this. Please fix Vergamot/Super Transformation so that buccaneers need to duck like everyone else to avoid Vergamot's attacks.

7) [QoL] Allow Energy Orb to hit multiple stationary monsters

Energy Orb is supposed to hit multiple enemies by bouncing off of monsters (decreasing in damage after every bounce), just like chain lightning, but in bosses like HT, Orb does not connect any parts of the body. At the very least, I think Energy Orb should link between HT wings and HT arms (and maybe even right head from the right side when it ducks). I haven't tried how this works for Zakum arms.

8) [QoL] Increase the range of Speed Infusion to be the same as Sharp Eyes

SI was previously buffed to have the same range as HS, but I think it'd be really helpful to make it the same as SE/MW. It's definitely not a necessity, but a QoL that will help everyone who benefits from SI! [credits to MrPresidentMrPresident for the suggestion]

Possible Changes that I don't Recommend

9) [BUFF] Change Energy Charge to last 120 seconds

If Suggested Change 1) and 2) happen, buccaneers would on average 73% of the time with Energy Charge like I mentioned. If we buff the duration to 120 seconds, we would have it on average 86.7% of the time. If you add this to the calculation and compare it to other classes, we get:

-Warrior: 10% chance of needing to reposition (trivial avoid and max Power Stance)
    -Shadower: 21.1% chance of needing to reposition (with 600 avoid and max Shadow Shifter)
    -Buccaneer (pre-changes): 42.9%* overall chance of needing to reposition (with 360 avoid and max Energy Charge)
    -Buccaneer (post-changes): 15.2%* overall chance of needing to reposition (with 360 avoid, max modified Energy Charge, and buffed Energy Charge duration)

If you add in iframes to the calculation (however one does that), I wouldn't be surprised with buccaneers only need to reposition <5% of the time, which seems too good for a class that already provides a lot of utility.

On the other hand, if you look at damage calculations, even with this change and the stackable weapon attack, we would still be in the same rank ordering (10.1mil DPM instead of 9.9mil DPM). Either ways, I think this change would just make buccaneers into warriors, which no one wants.

Let me know what y'all think!

Spreadsheet for review:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_2DM6EVcqTYW3JJ6inqWZPKVtFPcQDc56yWQgOOMt_g/edit?usp=sharing
    You can play with the parameters in the Class Comparison page, which represent all the changes in this post, and see how DPM goes up or down in real time!

Caveat:
    -According to AyumiLove, each demolition cast takes 2.34 seconds, but according to the 2018 Summer Patch in ML, demolition got a speed boost to 1.84 seconds (-500ms). I tested this out on dummies and I get something closer to a 2 seconds, so I used 2 seconds. Where there are * are where these numbers are affected.

Attached Files:

• Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    one way to account for iframes is to take the % of time you spend in iframes and consider it is 100% stance. So , if you spend half the time in iframe, and have 70% stance for 50% of the time, you would have:

1*0.5 (iframes = 100% stance) + 0.7*0.25 (half uptime on charge) + 0*0.25 (no stance, no iframes) = 0.5 + 0.175 + 0, or 67.5% stance.

3. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    akashskyakashsky if only I knew what that % is ;-;

4. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    6:09 AM
    iPippy
    Why not just do an adjusted attacks recieved per unit time? Itll be skewed depending on fight (hardly get hit in a fight like verga, and not enough on zak to matter, but a fight like ht feels like theres always a hit waiting for me when I cant move between demo delay.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    1:09 PM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    I would say buccs are more of a 50% support and 50% attacker class rather than full on attackers, and if they out dmg or on par with warrior classes something is clearly wrong here.(Do note that I am only looking at the damage charts).
    Thats just my opinion on that class though.

EDIT : Bucc mechanics are beyond me, if the chart shows the dmg only for SINGLE target then its not too bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    iPippyiPippy I would if I knew the numbers for all of that (attacks/min etc.)

7. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    On your list of topics (and I'll add a few ideas of my own)...
    1) A change I'd really like to see imo, but it doesnt even have to be per line. If the charge gained per attack could be manipulated (I think we've yet to hear word on how feasible changing charge actually is), then thatd be good enough to design around. This is really only an issue transformed when we cant fully control our iframes. We have to pop out of demo eventually, and sometimes that just means eating an attack if mistimed or a fight with lots of attacks. Normal state isnt as much an issue, as you can either quickly charge if needed (ds cleave), hold iframes and basically never get hit (the faster cast speed of du gets the job done here), or reposition quickly even if you do get hit (corkscrew back to the fight and carry on). An overall increase to how fast we can charge in fight does help us to do more damage with drain and orb combos too, so it's more of a consistency/qol still to me.
    2) Ties into 1. Being able to charge reasonably in a 1v1 may or may not be too strong, but doesnt have to be a per line charge. Cleave rates feel good while in cwk/grind, but it takes almost an entire transform to charge, so we cant expect to get it if using demo. Sure snatch works, but that requires 3 targets to keep pace with demo, and the stance isnt *that* important to me imo.
    3) Meh, when has this ever played a role in anything important? Only time I bother trying to hold a charge without activating it is waiting for a cancel to wear off (where a decay does nothing), and to get a near full charge on HT pre head 2 to get an early stance while tanking leg. A minor qol, but also let's me demo tail, to extend leg/tail cleave time for the party. I wouldn't put too much thought into this, unless someone else knows where else this would be a big deal.
    4) No comment here, I thought it stacked back in gms, but I have no idea nor really care. Numbers can be adjusted to make damages meet expectation, so I'm more interested in proposing things that make the class feel mesh better with it's own entire skillset (though that means it's my view of what the class is). The way I see it, bubble does wonders with stance while transformed, and allows us to have access to stronger combos while not transformed. I'd like to see buffs to orb, but I'll put that in it's own point.
    5) Never needed a buff icon for the bubble, it really wont change our attack flowchart, but as long as it's easy to implement and doesnt come with making it become dispellable, whatever.
    6) Demo only on valid target sounds awful. Barrage makes more sense as it is a close range attack that would be awful to whiff, but removing our ability to dodge attacks transformed just ruins the consistency of attacks and sounds downright clunky. I want to time demo to dodge attacks sometimes, and sometimes I dont even want to hit the monster (looking at you Dunas dr). I'd rather not have to decide between taking a 1/1+stun, 10k dr dmg, or losing my positioning. Also, theres multiple indications of if your attack landed (if that's actually a concern). Did you gain charge? Do you see the quite visible animation of attack on the monster? Do you see your own damage lines (they have a pretty distinctive timing).
    7) Orb (and cl) sometimes dont bounce. Only time in ht I've seen it bounce is leg/tail, and would be a decent buff already if it became cleavable in the rest of the fight. That said, because of our other attack buffs (namely dragon strike), orb lost all of its identity minus 1v1 damage. While trying to play with our slower attack speeds, it became apparent that even though it had less damage than dragon strike (due to a ludicrous damage decay), orb is spammable, and is a massive qol buff to the class. People have asked for "spammable ds" for as long as the class exists, and if the numbers were tweaked, the skill could actually become just that. The initial damage number could even be increased if we wanted a stronger 1v1 combo without really touching the rest of the kit. I'd personally rather see it become a better cleave upgrade to DS for a cleave upgrade path or grinding tool (and maybe throw in a range improvement to increase consistency), but it's definitely not a tool to be forgotten about. Combined with a proper boost to energy charge speed, itd give us more stance while transformed (cant even orb transformed T.T) and a damage boost untransformed (I leave numbers for somebody else to play with). From there, we'd have everything we need to be able to adjust the numbers to make "balance" and the (personal) perfect class.

8. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    iPippyiPippy

1) 2) if you have any alternative concrete suggestions, they are welcome. I'm not sure what to do with your comment lol
    3) this one isn't a big deal and plays a trivial part in buccs rn. But since it's an existing mechanism, I'm suggesting this change.
    5) you might not care when bubble is on or off (or maybe you're just good at keeping track of time) but there are monsters/bosses I fight where I can only reasonably position myself with Energy Charge on, so it's helpful to know the exact timer.
    6) that's my point exactly that buccs are able to dodge whatever attack whenever. Shads can also do this with Bstep but demo has a little less than 2seconds of iframes at a time, which makes it kinda crazy.

9. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    1+2) All I'm saying is it doesnt have to be "charge per line". Give demo a faster charge rate, and barrage (and maybe even uppercut) too, and I'd likely be happy. You suggest 8 charge demo might be strong in current rates, can potentially adjust it to like 4 charge, or 6 charge per. Sounded pretty clear to me, apologies if it didnt.

3) it plays no part in our kit, and doesnt do anything to help/hurt our cause. Not worth the coding effort.

5) What fights are those? HT arm untransformed is the only thing I can think of, and that allows use of orb instead of ds I guess, but we really shouldnt be offering to help in that situation. I'm not sure what situation you would elect to do something different because you "have 10 seconds left of charge". Might be nice, but still question if it's worth the coding effort. It's a 50 second buff; half a transform, or most of the transform cooldown period.

6) Again, sounds hacky and a definite nerf overall to our qol. I concede whiffing a demo is big dpm loss, but it's pretty obvious when an attack will miss with demo's huge range and a bit of game sense. Is this really a change people want?

10. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    3) It's not much of a coding effort, since like I said it's already a mechanism in place. It's just tweaking the number, or as you say it "adjust the numbers to make 'balance'"
    5) Cleaving HT wing/right arm/mid head/right head with Snatch. If I stay till Energy Charge is over, I will most likely fall and lose a lot of time. It's something everyone else gets with all their buffs, so I think buccs having it isn't too much to ask. Also, I understand you care a lot about DPM optimization, but people play different styles for different reasons; there isn't an all-purpose "shouldnt be offering to help" situation lol
    6) I say yes to it's a change I want and no it's not a nerf to our QoL. But you're entitled to your own opinion. I've been trying out right-side range bucc in HT lately, and I can't tell if I'm hitting right head when it starts to duck or nothing because demo doesn't reach mid head, and you can't really see the flashy hit animation from up there.

11. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    3) even if its "low" effort to implement, it has "no" impact. Its change for the sake of change.
    5) This is the one I'm at least somewhat in agreement with. Not useless, but as soon as it poses a challenge, I'd rather have plenty of other things first.
    6) I didnt think this one a matter of opinion. We're putting the safety lock back on our skills because you dont know when you should or should not just hold the demo button? Should we do the same for skills like snipe or hammer?

12. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    iPippyiPippy So I added an option to play around with the following in the spreadsheet (under the Class Comparison page), the middle three based on your suggestion:
    -Total Number of attacks for EC
    -Charges/attack for EC (demolition)
    -Charges/attack for EC (barrage)
    -Charges/attack for EC (double uppercut)
    -EC Duration
    Change the numbers and see your DPM go up and down in real time!

13. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    iPippyiPippy
    3) please read the OP on why this does have an impact
    6) then let's remove the safety lock on barrage--your argument works here too. I'm fine if both don't have a safety lock or both do but not the half and half though. And can you please explain why it's not an opinion and is instead a fact...? I was not aware that there is an objective truth to how demolition works lol

14. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Based on conversations with some people, it seems like there's a group of people who are very against this change. I recognize that buccaneers already have a little bit of everything (bless, rage, stance, rush, iframes, high avoid, monster magnet, party-buff, resurrection support, and more), and I am asking for more. A lot of why I want more is to make buccaneer a more popular class, so we aren't just mules but a welcome part of bossing communities. Still, I welcome the "Disagreement" rating on the OP, since it's fair to gauge the opposition. This thread and the ratings may or may not affect GMs thoughts on bucc changes, but it will definitely give the community a more accurate reading of where people stand on it :)

And as always, other better (more mild or more extreme) suggestions are also welcome, and I'm happy to incorporate them into the original post. If you agree with the changes I suggest but disagree with the numbers, I added parameters (only 5 numbers that reflect all the changes!) in the spreadsheet to change the details and see how DPM/avoid rate changes in real time!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Don’t have any comments for the changes in this thread but something I’d like is to increase the buff range of SI. Idk if it should be the same range as SE but SI buff range seems tiny compared to SE. This could help some of the problems of rebuffing in HT with buccs attacking left head and everybody else on right side.

• Like Like x 2
  16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Funny enough, I think so range has been buffed a time or two here already. The range is juuust big enough to jump and buff and have it reach people on the two mini wing platforms the people we usually have to si go, but it's hard to confirm they actually recieve it, and I'm still not 100% on landing it.

We dont need an insanely fast charge speed 1v1, nor a longer charge duration, but we do need an improvement to the charge speed. I think it's like a minute and a half approx to charge with demo alone. In most instances we dont even need the stance untransformed (minus face-tanking shenanigans), due to much more controllable iframe and faster repositioning. So energy is valuable for stance transformed, at least to me, and a damage boost untransformed (#TeamOrb).

17. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    iPippyiPippy my understanding is that while casting demolition, ~1600ms of the ~2000ms are iframes (75%) as opposed to 1830ms (barrage duration) out of the 2730ms (barrage+double uppercut; 67%). Based on this, if anything, untransformed stance is more valuable than transformed stance.

But, I do agree that charge doesn't necessarily need to be buffed to be 1 charge per line--just need something better somehow for single-target attacks. I used 1 charge per line in the post because that seemed the simplest way to change how charged lines for single-target attacks, but I'm open to different combinations of charge/attack.

I ran the numbers using 4 charges per demo, 3 charges per barrage, 1 per double uppercut (i.e. half the number of charges as there are lines of attack for single target attacks), and what you get is the same damage as 2H hero on all buffs (+500k DPM from original changes), 57.7% of overall time with stance 90% (down from 73%), and 31.8% total chance of needing to reposition after taking damage (up from 22.6%). This still seems very reasonable to me.

18. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I argue from a holistic sense with transform/untransform stance utility. For example, in a fight like vergamot, I usually wont get hit by simply timing a demo with the laser attack. That said, with either a mistiming or another attack, I'm forced to eat the hit during the period of demo that isn't iframe that we cant move. Untransformed, after ending a barrage, we can either use a ds or du to change our timing a bit to "sync" our iframes better with incoming attacks and skillfully dodge. I can be MUCH more aggressive with attacks using a du between barrage there. If I do happen to get hit, I can reposition super quickly with a backspin or corkscrew (both of which are useful options out of barrage as well if you really dont wanna get hit-100% iframe). This becomes much more apparent at a fight like ht (range left is my forte). The sheer number of attacks means we're going to face an attack when demo ends. Theres really no way around it. If avoid fails to dodge, we fall back a platform and need to use a jumping demo back into position, or risk losing massive dpm (which only compounds over time). Untransformed, I can barr+ds heads. If I do get kb, then I can simply fire a no-charge cork and get back to position without losing a step (can even reposition during weakness). One could argue the stance is overkill in many situations, but the biggest benefits imo to charge untransformed are potless fighting with double drain, or slightly higher 1v1 dpm with orb (neither of which are feasible/possible transformed).

19. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    12:09 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I really want a way that bucc can stance a bit more reliably or make it some short of resource you can use when needed, atm you don't chose when to get charged. As long as bucc can cleave better at HT body i will be more than happy. Also the stance decay is kinda meh, if you are playing and not going afk it never afects you, altho im ok if u go take a shit u need to recharge. I like teh stacakble 20w att from charge to stack too and welp I kidan want a barrage buff too so when not trasnfromed you do a bit better, jsut a bit

20. Dawnie

Dawnie Mushmom

Nov 19, 2016
    Female
    Malaysia
    6:09 PM
    Dawnielle, DirtySoul
    Night Lord
    Heaven
    How do u get 360 avoid ? do u pump dex to 1xx ? my dex is at 2x. please halp.