1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing ML on Linux Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by halfwaysleet, Aug 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sumi

Sumi Blue Snail

Dec 28, 2021
    Male
    11:37 PM
    That's interesting, because it means that compatibility is improving. This could mean that in the near future Wine could run any server and version of MapleStory out-of-the-box.
    The addition of WoW64 support in Wine 7 and its impending improvements in later versions would easily change everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jpjijpjpjpp

jpjijpjpjpp Snail

Mar 1, 2022
    12:37 AM
    yoimblackyo
    F/P Arch Mage
    windowsxp
    This doesnt work at all, just error's, why would it be so hard to run this on linux the actual game ran easier, its not like constant updates are holding them back? like simple linux download how do servers with 10people on it have linux downloads but we dont?, i can play all steam games on here but not maplestory as if its hard to run such a game, shouldnt need extra files wine runs windows programs simple one click download i should of already been playing hours ago instead of repeating these steps over and over to get the same errors, clearly isnt on my end ive got all other games to run normally on linux without any problems, shouldnt need to emulate a whole windows os to get it

3. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    12:37 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Don't spread false information, thanks. I have it working in less than a minute on wine (not counting the extraction of the MAC's file).
    If you want help, then state your error and the exact things u have done. Some of us might know how to tackle your issues.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to gaming on linux. Even Linus Tech Tip struggles with games outside of steam,
    https://youtu.be/Rlg4K16ujFw?t=598

Well, again, do you want help? If yes, then state your error and the exact things u have done. Some of us might know how to tackle your issues.

I've been running MapleLegends on wine for the past 5 months on a daily basis. Again, please don't spread false information. Thanks

4. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    6:37 AM
    tickle
    Islander
    What are you using to extract the payload? I have tried bsdtar and 7z and neither result in a folder structure even remotely close to what you are describing, i.e Payload > Applications > MapleLegends.app > drive_c

5. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I juz use the default archive manager that comes with linux mint.
    Xarchiver works too.

Make sure u rename Payload to Payload.xar if not the archiver cannot open itin the correct format

6. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    Even using Xarchiver with the file named Payload.xar does not produce the aforementioned directory tree

upload_2022-3-24_4-17-54.png

And when I use the MapleLegends executable in the content subdirectory I run into the same issue as the person above I uploaded the log as a .txt since it is so long

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
  7. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    uhh your screenshot looks correct. MapleLegends is located in the drive_c folder according to your screenshot

8. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    You have to replace the 2 dlls mentioned by OP, on your wine env. If not it will not execute.

9. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    The drive_c in the screenshot does not extract as a directory

[tilda@Tickle ~]$ file Media/Games/MapleLegends.app/drive_c
    Media/Games/MapleLegends.app/drive_c: ASCII text, with no line terminators

There is however a drive_c directory inside of contents, but if I run that executable I get the same output as in log.txt upload_2022-3-24_4-33-50.png

10. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    might be due to some symlinks used by the wine env provided in the mac client (which we usually don't use).

You have to extract the MapleLegends folder if not it wont run, since u only took out the exe, and not the subfiles it needed

try extracting just the MapleLegends Directory, or if that doesn't work, extract literally everything from the Payload

11. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    I have replaced ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll in
    /media/wineprefixes/MapleLegends/drive_c/windows/system32
    which is what I have WINEPREFIX set to when running wine

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    I should also note that xarchiver is just using 7z when it is time to extract
    upload_2022-3-24_4-43-28.png

13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    this is what i usually use to extract. maybe it works better.
    also from your above screenshot, looks like a 7z issue so, might wanna resolve that instead

14. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    Just extracted the MapleLegends directory contained inside of the contents directory and the same output occurs, I don't think my issues have anything to do with the executable

15. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    I also now for good measure tried a win64 prefix instead and the same issue occurs

16. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    the last thing that I can think of is not setting a virtual desktop. while i don't need, some cant run without it.

just confirming, you have drivers working correctly right? and if yr on nvidia, may wanna use the proprietary drivers for good measure

17. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    Yep, drivers work fine, I am playing elden ring through wine as we speak. I have also tried with and without virtual desktop, and with and without wine-staging

18. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    GOD DAMN IT, I just figured it out, for some reason wine can struggle launching executables from outside of their directory like with a full path.
    If I cd and run wine using a path relative to the current directory so like ./X then it works

:penguin:

19. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    probably u had sone space bars in your directory/folder and needs to encapsulate it with " "
    eg
    wine /home/Maple Story/maplestory.exe won't work, but
    wine "/home/Maple Story/maplestory.exe" should work

20. tikkle

tikkle Mano

Mar 24, 2022
    tickle
    Islander
    /media/wineprefixes/MapleLegends/drive_c/MapleLegends/MapleLegends.exe
    Nope no spaces, and tab autocomplete inserts escape characters like \ when needed

• Like Like x 1