1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is MapleLegends still nostalgic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Siegfried, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    10:17 AM
    Firstly, sorry about the clickbait title.

Secondly, it's come to my attention this nice little video from coppersan detailing the MapleStory release/update timeline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtbsMeQrx8

I've noticed that ML actually has some missing content (read: selectively taken content) from later versions that aren't from <2008, and some dated dusty mechanics that are still in the current ML.

This could be looked at again now that this server is going towards a "Old School MapleStory" by modernising dated content, while keeping the charm of the original.

For example, despite some "divisive opinions" about Carnival PQ, it's actually from the same year as Pirate's release. It's as nostalgic as anything is, really.

With the release of HP challenges, it's a neat little thing that can make its way back as more content for new players to play.

LPQ won't get overtaken by Carnival PQ either, because it has valuable meso rewards from the box stage, cards (pls buff) and glasses.

My point here is that, is there any other missing old content that we could add that were previously thought to be "too broken" or "useless", now that we're more or less decided on the direction of ML?

Additionally, is there any other old mechanics we could modernise in other to keep that same nostalgic/old-school feeling?

Let's take another example. In the video, it's actually mentioned in 2006, potions were rare and scarce, so players had to sit in chairs to recover HP/MP. Players also infamously stayed in the Sleepywood Sauna to recover their HP/MP.

So, what if the Sleepywood Sauna recovered a percentage of your HP/MP, to provide a nice little replication of that nostalgic feeling, while removing the tediousness of waiting forever?

Chairs are also something to be looked at as a genuine "pot-saving" measure, but that's a pretty big balancing endeavour.

I'm interested to see your thoughts!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    MapleLegends is so old that current players can even be nostalgic about 2015 Legends, or 2020 Legends.

As someone who played in 2005-2006, this is just not true lmao. Potions were harder to come by when Ludi was released, but the solution was to have a healing priest rotate with you. That eventually evolved to platform grinding where people became way more efficient with pot spending.

Before that, zombie farming was the norm and that generated a shit ton of mesos into the server. Bera had about a year of 2x meso to 'catch up' the server with Scania.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Hey, thanks for the correction. I played MS at around 2007; I just quoted what was said in the video. Fortunately though, Priest/Cleric duos / party team ups are still fairly common, I think, on ML.

Yep, I thought about this too. ML is nearly 10 years old, good grief. We're getting old SlimeSweat2

4. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:17 PM
    Moderator Post
    MapleLegends evolves as GMS did. The difference only is that we are stuck on the same client version, but even that isn't completely "dead end" anymore for many things as client editing became more common.

5. OP
    OP
    Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    That's definitely understood, as I've linked your original response to nostalgia. This post is definitely not about bashing the server, but rather, an open-ended retrospective of the past with the future of the server. I'm quite happy that your server is getting more technical support than back in 2015 :)

What I was getting at was about enhancing the spirit of v62 MapleStory with the current forward thinking design decisions that are more suitable for today's audience. This is something you are doing now and quite well.

Aside from major changes like HP challenges, QoL features, class reworks, I was wondering within the community, "is there anything else that we could take from the original MS and make it better?". I think this definition is clearer when you compare it with the evolution bit here.

One another example would be, the Internet Cafe. What would its place be on this server if ever it gets ported over (even if possible?). What if this, and that? -sort of thing.

Edit: You don't have to answer to those what-ifs. Just fun talking about possibilities :)

6. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    6:17 PM
    Paladin
    Funk
    I believe this is what you're looking for: What content can still be added to MapleLegends? | MapleLegends Forums - Old School MapleStory

7. OP
    OP
    Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:17 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Whats "nostalgic" in your opinion?

9. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The internet cafe was actually used on this server in an event. I think it was a summer event in... 2020? 2021? It was only available for level 70 and below I believe. So it does work. I would personally like it reworked into some sort of content people can actively use.