1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    1:13 PM
    Moderator Post
    Hey,

There's something that have been bothering me for a bit, but I know I can't change it without causing a bit of uproar; its the amount of channels currently in MapleLegends.

As you may know I've been quite strict on channels in the past, where I usually only add channels when its really need. Channel 9 and 8 got added when we had 1000 users online.

As you may know its been a bit ago we last had 1000 online.

The issue generally is that some maps, about 3 to 5 get crowded when there's not enough channels.. that's really it. Ah yeah, and when we had an advertisement running all the KPQ channels were full. Those were good times.

In return, you have...

1) New people thinking the server is dead because everyone is split through 9 channels
    2) (Area)Bosses get much more often killed each time new channels get added
    3) While our source can handle it perfectly fine, its also more load on the servers

Reason 1 to me is the most important thing, which is why I want reduce it again. Back when we had 500 people with 4 channels it looked much more alive because one would pass someone in town and say hi to the person. This got completely killed with 9 channels now and about same amount of users online.

So basically I am really considering reducing the channels, since this have been the reason partly why the server for new and current users look so empty, because people are all split into the 9 channels.

So why do new channels get added?

Ghost Ship 2 is the biggest reason here, and a couple other maps such as Himes. Usually they get so full that people want new channels added.

But outside of that I also want have a discussion on something, which is the popular maps. GS2, etc. If we were to improve the server in a custom matter, which isn't adding channels for just 2 to 5 maps, what would you do?

Personally what really irritates me is how GS3 and GS4 are completely empty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something could easily be done with those 2 maps for example, which would to me be a better solution than adding more channels just so people can have a Ghost Ship map. Skelegons got a dungeon, so their problem is pretty much solved already. Himes is left which has no open solution yet I guess.

An other option would be giving a dungeon for GS2, but I am not too sure about that one right now.

Basically, I want brainstorm ideas to fix the popular maps without adding so many unnecessary channels.

Do you got any ideas? Or thoughts in general about the current number of channels? Let us know.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. askalade

askalade Mano

Mar 12, 2018
    Male
    Boefje1337
    Assassin
    great idea! perhaps a dungeon or new mob maps in gs3 and 4 might do it yh. I like the less channels idea though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rupert

Rupert Slime

Jan 1, 2018
    Male
    2:13 PM
    I agree with everthing you said.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rockler

Rockler Mixed Golem

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Sweden
    Nude
    Night Lord
    Scamure
    Im fine with 4-6 channels,tho manon cry will get abit cucked since HT being spammed nowadays. Other then that seems like a good idea to bring the ppl together.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    I think it's better to reduce the amount of channels and at the same time make some other maps more viable. There are so many unused training maps, I think there is a large amount of wasted potential.
    I guess the only problem is making people aware of the fact that some maps receive buffs. Many people will just default to a map they knew was amazing back when they played.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DoodleBear

DoodleBear Snail

Sep 10, 2017
    Male
    7:13 AM
    DoodleBear
    Thief
    I wouldn't mind less channels, and adding dungeons would not be a terrible idea. It would be nice to see more people out and about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    7:13 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Having Mini Dungeons around popular training maps will be great, not sure if it's difficult to do...
    Looking forward to seeing more people around if the change of reducing channels is set.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rockler

Rockler Mixed Golem

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Sweden
    Nude
    Night Lord
    Scamure
    Did i hear buff gobies GangGang ? PogChamp

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Bambo

Bambo Stone Golem

Jul 26, 2017
    Male
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    6:13 PM
    FPBambo
    F/P Wizard
    Spirit
    Less channels seems a great idea. But I don't think mini dungeon would be great... Seeing each other while cc-ing and say hi actually makes GS2 alive, if you add mini dungeon there will be no oppotunnity to meet them while they are grinding again :c
    grinding can sometime be boring, but chatting while grinding has never been.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. socol

socol Red Snail

Feb 24, 2018
    6:13 AM
    Hunter
    Yes. I think reduce the amount of channels is better right now. Making a dungeon for GS2 is good too, because it is the most popular map in my opinion. GS2 is popular because it has good exp ratio and spawn rate that really helps players in lvl 50–80. For Himes, I have less experience about it, but I every time I accidently got into, I don't see it occupied. That's because it requires higher level to grind over there I think. As a Bowman, I wouldn't solo over there compared to GS2. So I think it is ok to left Himes as it is.

Also, GS3, GS4, and GS7 are totally empty. Instead creating a dungeon for GS2, is it possible to add Slimy in GS3 and GS4?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Breaklimits

Breaklimits King Slime

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Breaklimits
    Pirate
    ornhub
    i would adjust the crowded chs in a way that more dif maps are balanced so either increase spawn rate or w.e.
    also keep in mind manon and any other world bosses are harder to find/kill if u drop channels.
    i would increase spawn rate of those bosses so on like daily bases theres still around same amount off bosses like bigfoot manon pianus etc etc.
    so basicly u should find a way to compromise for the lower amount of channels by spawn rate and such then ppl shouldnt have a problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:13 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I think having less channels would make things more lively yes, but we'll have a problem getting map bosses like manon, BF, samurai, anego, etc etc. Not to mention during popular times maps like Petris are impossible to grind at cus of how full it gets.

Even with 9 channels, its pretty competitive getting things like manon cry, or securing an anego for xp. I can offer a solution for the manon crisis, which would be to let the HTPQ skipping stone quest to be used to bypass the transformation (that way people don't have to keep killing manon over and over again). But that doesn't solve the issue about anego, samurai, or manon.

• Agree Agree x 9
  13. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    I wish they would. and I wish they would allow ks wars on certain maps such as: gobies, himes, etc

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:13 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    gobies in 2k18 lulz

15. Zebezian

Zebezian Master Chronos Retired Staff

Sep 17, 2017
    Male
    Zebezian
    Paladin
    Honor
    I am fine with channels getting reduced, but in return, map ownership should be shortened. I think it's 10 minutes right now? Perhaps 5 would be more appropriate.

16. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    While on the topic of manon i would suggest changing the quest to only killing a manon instead of getting a cry.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Its 5 atm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rebecca

Rebecca Mano

May 29, 2017
    Female
    United States
    4:13 AM
    icyRainCloud
    Islander, Page, I/L Mage
    Rainbow
    I'm fine with reducing the amount of channels but I want to keep MapleLegends as similar to old Maplestory as possible. I really don't want to have the horntail quest changed or add monsters to maps that weren't there in old Maplestory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    Its 5 now.

20. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    Reduce channels to like 4 or 5. GS5 is a good alternative to GS2. I actually found it to be better than GS2. Also you only train at GS for a week or two, so it shouldn't be a major concern. Himes is a bigger issue in my opinion, but sharing maps or training with people is always better since it's such a large map and increases the spawn when you have two people killing on both sides or luring all mobs to one side. In regards to the mini dungeons for newts and skeles, they weren't really a solution since the spawn is atrocious. I don't think anyone uses them at all.

• Like Like x 1