1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. AzamatBagato

AzamatBagato Timer

Jul 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    12:34 AM
    AzamatBagato
    Thief
    Demure
    I agree. I think it would be a great idea to reduce the channels to about 5. With the advantages that was mentioned, I see no reason why not.
    Adding Slimy mobs at GS3 & GS4 might be a good way to reduce the overpopulation at GS2. And with a reduced spawn at GS3-4, this would be a good way for lower lvl players to train. The spawn at GS2 is to big for lower lvls to keep up with in my opinion. While players who party or buy leech can focus on GS2, the others who don't could find the option at GS3-4 to be much more suitable for them.

Reducing the channels might also have an effect on bishops, trying to get manons cry. Bishops are one of the most popular classes. The genesis quest is hard & it would be even harder with a reducing of channels. Many Players killing manon for either genesis, dragon skull chair, or other drops. The frustration for a bishop would be ever higher. My suggestion is to remove the dragon skull chair from manon and instead put it into Griffey. This would reduce some of the chair hunters from bishops struggle to get genesis. Maybe also lower the spawn time for manon just a bit.

Himes would maybe benefit from a dungeon with a timer. (30min-1H) With a timer, the players would have a higher chance of social encounters. And if all the original Himes maps are full at every channel, there is a higher chance the players will go in the dungeon as a 2nd alternative until the original map are free, instead of just leaving the map or log out. A timer would also prevent players from using the dungeon as a 1st alternative to avoid the Black Crow boss.

I hope my suggestions were helpful :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

11:34 PM
    People dont really hunt Manon for the chair..
    You need manon for Horntail. People horntail almost everyday and each party needs 6-12 manons each. Thats the biggest issue with manon. Hense why people have suggested that it drops multiple Manon Cries instead of just 1

3. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    actully a few of my friend used to hunt manon for his chair and afterward their focus switched to his sb

4. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    4:34 PM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    its a nice damn chair

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    7:34 AM
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    The thing u gotta see here is, how much currently active players are actually old players and how much of them are actually new players, and then only you should be able to make a decision on decreasing the map or leaving it as it is, because if you reduce the channels then that might make the number of old players actually quit ML because of the hard time to farm Manon, but on the other hand if there are actually a huge number of new players coming in everytime then it wouldn't be so bad to reduce the number of channels to actually acchieve your goal of making ML more lively again ! :D cause honestly i also feel very lonely because the people who i kept seeing interacting with each other is those old players who knew each other, and then when a new player comes in they sort of have to "suck up" to those old players just to be accepted into a society and be able to mingle like every other person.

6. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    I think maybe the end game content that all these HT runners are looking for lies in Zipangu Neo Tokyo XDD but thats a matter of a different time am i right? ahahha XD

7. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    yeah i guess most ppl here wouldnt be able to understand how changing the table exp in a pre-programmed coding really is XDDDD rip to those hours spend changing every single thing that works like dominoes, so i guess what you are looking for is a solution that can work and be implemented with the current number of staff/people working on the codings and maintaining the server aye? in a short period of time

8. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    Well in my opinion of playing the game off and on for like about a year now, im starting to see a HUGE number of people going for "leeching" and less doing pq which in my opinion was supposed to bring back the feel of the good old "Maplestory". And i understand that doing sudden implementations to the game is not easy because sometimes changing a coding of one particular mobs can affect many maps and then u have to adjust the map and more so. (basicly i don't even know how coding works but i think changing the exp ratio of the mobs is pretty hard right? since it will affect globally) so i guess maybe just add the max number of mob spawns in the "unattractive" maps that people usually dont train on because of the amount of exp that it gives? I honestly think that if your intention is to get newer players, at this point in time its impossible because most people who are currently in the game really do not want to interact with you unless you have something that they want from you and they gain something from being your friend. So reducing the number of channels might cause a "HUGE" number of old players to get frustrated in grinding/farming and etc, but it might bring change and be more warm welcome to newer players who just came into the server fresh* and do not know anyone who is currently in the server and thus making new friends because of the limited number of channels and you will "eventually" bump into a random someone who is walking past by you :D. But for my idea i think maybe introducing the 2x EXP or 4x EXP buff in the cash shop would sort of counter the current "LeechingLegends" it has sort of become now? and reduce the amount of exp you get when you are mainly leeching from a high lvl person?
    Im not really an end game player nor even an average one, but from my understanding of late game is.. . if you dont hp wash, you will never be able to tank the boss until you are really really high lvl(which is like 15x) or you are playing a tanky job such as warrior or even having buffs that reduce the dmg taken(such as magic guard/meso guard/power guard) because i remember back in the day for pre bb there has always been a 2x exp buff in cash shop XD
    and sorry if im being very bold with my words or if i have said something inaccurate as i am just a person offering my opinions, so if you think its wrong please do correct it. and lastly i hope that you will get an idea to resolving the issue at hand Kimmy ! <3 :D

9. Ayderac

Ayderac Pink Teddy

Mar 13, 2018
    Male
    Sweden
    Ayderac
    Bishop
    Abyss
    Drakes is a cool oldie map, could use a little bigger respawn rate (perhaps move the spawn top left to the main floor and increasing the rate just a little?

10. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Dayummm son if this happens this will be one of the best grinding places ever. Helm int 60% drops ftw

11. Konnui

Konnui Timer

Jun 9, 2017
    7:34 PM
    Konnui
    Shadower
    Agape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've never had a problem finding manon, if it's not there I just come back an hour later or try again the next day and there's usually atleast 1 channel with manon.
    In anticipation of summer, only 2 months away, reducing the channel count now may be a short-sighted change. I like the idea of increasing the viability of the inner clocktower monsters to become competitive with other training spots for their respective levels. Ludibrium is the main hangout for new lv 35-70 players who enjoy lpq and lmpq, and incentivizing higher level players to stay there may improve interaction among the community!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Strife

Strife Red Snail

Apr 19, 2018
    Putting in my two cents on what others have said:

- I'm in support of cutting channels, but I'd suggest waiting until summer to see how much traffic there is before doing so. Something to consider is that MapleStory 2 is coming to North America soon and there will likely be people who see or play MS2, pine for the old MapleStory and find their way here as I did.
    - Adjust drop rates for popular boss drops like Manon's Cry to 100%, and/or switch to the KMS method of spawning more than one. This doesn't affect the vanilla experience since the same monsters drop the same things, they just drop them at a more reasonable rate based on the number of high level players in the server.
    - I am in support of bringing x2 EXP cards into the cash shop if they are priced above 5000 NX. It sounds like it would combat some of the demand for leeching.

On the subject of bringing more traffic to lower-level areas since it's an interesting discussion... From the perspective of a game developer, I believe there should be steady amount of new characters being created in a server, otherwise all of the activity will be concentrated at the endgame maps and it becomes harder to entice new users to stick around, and the traffic issue at endgame becomes worse with more regulars reaching the high levels. This is something that Neckson themselves struggled with, and I would argue it's the main reason why they introduced so many new character classes and gameplay mechanics in later versions on a regular basis - to persuade both new and existing players to keep creating fresh characters, thus keeping those low-level regions like Maple and Victoria Island populated. Because this is a retro server, however, you do not have the luxury of introducing new classes or mechanics for the most part (although it is my personal opinion that introducing small original mechanics for the sake of gameplay balance won't impact the vanilla experience as badly as purists fear).

Something that might be interesting to see in the future is a referral program, where you can have existing players share a custom referral link to the MapleLegends website with outsiders, and if they create an account and get a character up to level 10, they get free NX and the referring player gets a small bonus of some sort.
    A more extreme example that might stray too much from the retro experience is to bring over Blessing of the Fairy from later versions of MapleStory, encouraging existing players to fill out a full roster of 6 characters for extra stat bonuses. (Perhaps a modified version that only increases HP per character would soften the necessity of HP washing?)

In any case, online game servers by their nature have to adapt in some way to changing circumstances and rarely are able to remain static, which makes running a vanilla/retro server tricky business due to that delicate balance between keeping the gameplay the way it originally was and making enough adjustments to meet the unique challenges of the community. I will say, though, that in my brief time here I've been impressed at how smoothly things have been run, and just a little more activity in the lower-level areas would make an already good and authentic server even better.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. SonicBurrito

SonicBurrito Mano

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    4:34 PM
    SonicBurrito
    Channels get reduced I quit I'm not fighting over skele maps all night. People are just ignoring the late game and all these low lvl players who don't play late game at all wanna see more populated channels. If this server change happens I'm gone... The other day there were no Petri maps and this is happening at current population you're forgetting eventually everyone gets to late game.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. WalesNote

WalesNote Slime

Apr 29, 2018
    Male
    UK
    -
    I support cutting the amount of channels available. Would be nice to encounter more players online while wandering around ch2 or 5. If people end up constantly fighting over maps due to the channel cut, then they just need to go to another map. First come first serve, I guess.

I would say just to party with others, but I've read and heard that party training isn't much of a benefit. Is there anything we can do about that?

I suppose we can just make better use of maps that aren't used all that much, increasing spawn, or exp, or add monsters to certain maps.

Think people need to stop whining and grow up and take what you can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dooc

Dooc Red Snail

Jan 19, 2018
    Male
    USA
    Dooc/Kooc/Cooc
    I understand where you're coming from but I don't like the idea.
    MapleLegends is gradually growing, with dips and inclines in the player base during certain seasons. I joined around Fall of 2017, so I wasn't there for the summer "boom," but as you stated there was a summer "boom" there will be another summer "boom" again and again and again. I just feel like it's going to be hard for new players/returning players to do anything in the summer if they're limited to 4 channels. Even now, people camp certain bosses and have timers for all 9 channels making it difficult for some players to even see these bosses alive to finish a quest/job advancement. I just think reducing the amount of channels right before summer is pre-mature. Maybe, reducing channels would be ideal after the summer season, but as of now I'd appreciate keeping the amount of channels we have now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I just want to add it takes a simple restart to alter channels, no effort at all. If we were to really grow again during summer in same way, the channels can easily be increased again. Removing channels isn't something such as killing off servers or something; its a simple setting.

So for those concerned we will get a summer boom again and it will 'take a lot of effort again to add channels'; its not. Its very easy to remove and also to add.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. PerfektAim

PerfektAim Slime

Apr 8, 2018
    Male
    PerfektAim
    Outlaw
    Aloha
    I guess you should just go for it Kim. Most here seem to agree, personally I do as well.

I do like the suggestion of removing 2 at at time. Restart it this weekend (or soon TM) with 7 channels, see how it goes. Then remove the next 2 channels later, when results turn out to be good. Take it gradually so sceptics have time to get used to it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I am already going to do it. I am just not ready yet with the 'counter' changes that will be done. Currently incredible busy with the team pushing the Monster Book update.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. Nostrov

Nostrov Red Snail

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Germany
    Nostrov
    Hero
    I would like a channel for easier access to Mini-Bosses like Manon, Jr. Balrog and all the other Bosses involved in Quests, so you dont have to wait hours just for one Quest, because they get camped by people farming them.
    Lets say the Last Channel has Mini Bosses with a higher Spawnrate, which give the Quest kill and can drop nothing else but the Quest Item, so theres no reason to farm them.
    I think respawn times from 30 mins to 1 hour would be reasonable but that's up for discussion.
    PS: i think 5 channels + that 1 Mini Boss channel for a total of 6 channels are more than enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Vmandude

Vmandude Blue Snail

May 3, 2018
    Male
    LevForVev
    Beginner
    I think you should simply reduce the amount of channels and leave it at that. The reason being that this is supposed to be a nostalgic server. Don't make life easy for us, keep it nostalgic.
    Making things easier was never a good idea for maplestory, keep it difficult and annoying so that people actually have to explore!
    At least that's what I have always enjoyed the most about this game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1