1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Polearms...and hunting/grinding spots

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Old Man, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Old Man

Old Man Slime

Nov 19, 2020
    Male
    10:28 AM
    Barbaras
    Warrior
    So I'm getting close to hitting 110.

I've been looking for polearms to upgrade with past 110 and there doesn't seem to be any that you can find in the FM. I looked through the list of weapons and wrote down several, but I never see any using the Owl in the FM.

Is there any guides or such about forging Polearms that would be good? I tried looking for quests also, but didn't find any (unless I just missed them).

On the subject of Hunting/Grinding spots, are there any good/decent spots where you aren't spamming a dozen potions each fight? I buddy a lot with Ice Lightning mage, but when they aren't available, it's hard to solo places without the spamming of potions. Also trying to find Clerics to heal seem to be tough at times also.

Thanks

2. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    8:28 AM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I think most pole arms aren't used because they are slow (8) and aren't the default meta for DRK (fast spears, like sky ski), so you might have some trouble finding them as they are usually npc'd. You can try posting in #free-market on discord and see if anyone has Dragon Chelbird from any HT runs. If you just like using Polearms, you can craft them with an NPC in Leafre (top left). You will need the lvl 100 weapon (Zedbug) and some ores and craft material (there's a guide on royals, but i won't link it here). There might be some people who have the NT weapon (speargrave/flairgrave) that can sell you for cheap too!

3. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    The only endgame Polearms that are generally used in any capacity are either Purple Surfboards, which are gated behind the summer event, or Crimson Arcglaives, which require completing a large portion of the CWK questline to unlock crafting from Fiona, as well as a lot of time and effort to gather the materials to actually make the weapon (Crimson Woods, Typhon Feathers, and the Taos). The main level Polearms are Speed 8, which is pretty awful (that’s the speed of an Arcglaive without Booster, and a PSB without Booster is still faster), which is why they’re generally NPC fodder.

Both the Surfboard and Arcglaive go for a pretty high price because of these reason. Polearms are basically only used for grinding or the occasional cardhunting/mob farming. They’re worth getting if you grind a lot, though, but all DrK equips tend to be hard gated by various things (Gachapon for Skis, Event for Surfboards, Crafting for Arcglaive).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Old Man

Old Man Slime

Nov 19, 2020
    Male
    Barbaras
    Warrior
    Thanks for the reply. When I first started, I decided I wanted to be a polearm DK - seems most people go the route of spear.

I have allocated my points according to being the polearm - but now it seems limited as far as finding weapon upgrades.

I will continue to look for the PSB I guess and hope that I can get lucky and find one for sale.

5. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    It’s hard to go full Polearm because your entire bossing damage output is Spear based, and there’s very little bossing content that is cleave or mobbing friendly (and the ones that are generally involve smaller number of mobs, which is why Spear Crusher is still better in those scenarios (along with the fact it does more damage anyway).

I am a big Polearm advocate though, I went hybrid for a reason and don’t regret it at all. Even though my DrK primarily bosses now and basically is exclusively a Spear user, the option to switch for fast cardfarming or mob killing is nice, and I used Polearm from 10-125 or so.

6. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    11:28 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    There’s a few decent options for polearms until you get a PSB. White mop, blood snowboard, and super snowboard are the top 3 imo. First 2 are normal 6 and SSB is fast 5 and all 3 have ok attack on them.

7. geospiza

geospiza Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Apr 16, 2020
    8:28 AM
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    It's pretty much CDs, Gallos, or Himes for a long while. Himes in particular is the best solo grind (and a purple surfboard makes a big difference in this grind), but it's going to require quite a few honsters. I'm pretty sure you earn enough to keep the potion costs at breakeven or better.

My leveling for this level range -- it was much less enjoyable than 80-100.
    upload_2021-6-3_19-46-23.png

8. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    Realized I didn't answer your question about the grinding spots.

If you're at a decent enough level (high 9x at minimum), Himes with a Priest is both great EXP with minimal pot usage. I have never been a huge fan of Dragon Roar for training, but CDs is very solid as well (though I believe Himes with PA Fury is faster still).

9. braidgame

braidgame Pac Pinky

Jun 21, 2015
    Pluto
    11:28 PM
    Outside
    Beginner
    Flow
    Red surfboard (7) is an alternative weapon too.
    Although its not good as PSB or Arcglaive, probably still better than lv110-120 PA I think.

Btw I think you should check your dex for using
    Arcglaive since it require 80 dex to wear, just a little note.

10. OP
    OP
    Old Man

Old Man Slime

Nov 19, 2020
    Male
    Barbaras
    Warrior
    Great - Thanks for all the additional posters. Gives me some options of where to go and also what types of Polearms to be looking for.