1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making FM "Web-searchable"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chew, May 18, 2017.

Are you in favour of this addition?

1. Yes

2. I don't mind either way

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    2:27 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Back when I used basil years ago (no idea what it's like now if it even is) you could search for a specific equip and see a list of all the available ones and the sellers could input the stats.

Buyout prices as in autowin? That's what I meant with basilmarket style.

2. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I no longer believe the community can be convinced to do a proper solution, so I actually think this is the best we can hope to see.

3. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Just convince the staff :p

4. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I guess a new thread would be in order right?

5. Boyco

Boyco King Slime

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    7:27 AM
    Why not add an auctions page to the Maple Legends web, similar to Basil Market?

6. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner

7. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    8:27 AM
    Centaur & Chaste
    A way for people to sell/auction items is totally fine, It requires users to input their items and it's stats, like the old Basilmarket, so I doubt most people would have issues with that. Forum threads aren't really user-friendly to reliably sell/buy items.
    It has nothing to do with pulling a list of all the items in the FM and their prices via SQL code, which is what I'm strongly against :p

8. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    That's true call it however you want: Nostalgia, opportunists, praying etc.

But let me list some FACTS that we all know about:
    - In GMS, looking for cheap items in FM to resell was a BIG part of the game for many players. Even the whole game for some too because they just enjoy the feel of economocial growth and power over the market.
    - We get 5k nx for free per day (which is not bad at all imo).

Merching is as part of the game as grinding, questing and pqing... does it kill you to save nx for just 1 week and get 65 owls? I really doubt so. And if you really want nx for esthetics you can even donate and use donor nx for cool things. I don't see a point in killing a part of the game that means a lot for some people just because some players are greedy and can't save some nx for owls (which are not real mandatory). What's coming next? "make tp rocks free or purchasable with mesos because I don't have 10 min to sit on the plane or run from A to B?".

9. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    3:27 PM
    Kotone, JellyFish, Yesterday, ApplePi
    Beginner, Islander, I/L Wizard, Bandit
    I think it's a great idea, if you're going to do it your self (or find someone who's not a staff member to volunteer).
    The staff is very busy and they must have bigger priorities.
    Before adding a luxury like this one, they still have bugs to fix, more critical changes to make, etc (hopefully make the forum search engine more usable some day xD)...
    I support your idea, but don't leave it as a suggestion. Do something about it yourself if it's that easy, because the staff seem to already be working extra hours

10. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I'm juggling a full time job and exam finals these days. But I'll see if I can whip something up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    Good luck!
    I'd help if I had the skills (not that I have more time than you)

12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    6:27 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Wait, so players that want to buy owls for meso or cheaper nx are greedy, but those merchers who work hard to gouge players that don't know any better aren't? OnionF6

Yes, shortly followed by making everyone level 200 for free. /sarcasm

• Like Like x 3
  13. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    I do not understand what you mean with "gouge" because of my language limitations but if you meant that merchers who *keyword* scam other players are greedy that's true. That has a completley greedy and selfish intention but FM merching isn't about scaming players (which is also against the TOS). Sometimes ppl put items half a price because they want mesos fast or actually don't care for the item because it takes slots of the inventory...

The reason I threw the tp rock example was to see your reaction about this idea since it is an interesting analogy. You find laughable to make the same change in an item that actually has none impact in the game but find this change viable in an item that does have an impact? I mean both do the same... they save you time right? Owl is way cheaper than tp rock and even saves you more time since FM surfing without missing items you would like to have is sometimes not that easy and takes time. What is so crazy in applying this idea to tp rocks? Do they kill the maple experience of walking and taking the boats? well over using owls would also kill the experience of FM exploring.

This is going to be my last reply in this post but I would sincerely like to talk this over discord with other players since it is easier to dialogue and debate rather than this way.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    6:27 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well obviously, you can just alt tab or do a whole bunch of other stuff while waiting for a boat. So it's not like a ride from Ellinia to Orbis would suck up a full 30 minutes of your time if you happened to have just missed the boat.

Searching through the FM on the other hand requires a constant, concerted effort which requires all of your attention during the whole hour or so it takes to look through every shop.

Also, we already did have several thorough discussions on the whole teleport rock / boat issue and even a staff-sponsored poll, so bringing that issue up again as some kind of slippery slope comparison is a complete waste of time.

15. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    1:27 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    Personally, merching is like 80% of the time I even spend time on Maple - I'm not sure about most, but if an item's blatantly mispriced (whether just hugely underpriced or a price-typo) I'll always return it and inform the seller. The items I mostly pick up are underpriced because of people trying to flog them quickly, and they're the ones I enjoy finding!

Despite the amount of time I spend trawling the FM, I still don't mind this as a suggestion, I just think it's so very low priority as to temper expectations. :D Unless someone wants to prototype it up...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Prototype in google sheet for BasilMarket-ish solution:
    [​IMG]

Planned functions:
    • Adding items for sale (See above picture)
    • Searching for specific items for sale, using requirements
    • Bidding on said items
    I have yet to figure out how to go about deleting items, if they are sold.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    I think it should only inform of what exists in the market, and maybe the price range. Adding items for sale or bidding will make it necessary and/or replace nostalgic gameplay imo

18. OP
    OP
    Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Im not quite sure i understand what you mean. How do you suggest i show what the market holds without adding items for sale?

19. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    I mean, don
    t make it an option for users. Just have it fetch the information like you said in the beginning, so that it only has info

20. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    I think imbedding something like this as another link on the official website is a great idea. Wether something that links in-game as Chew said or whether it's independent. I actually don't think it's such a minor feature, as said it could really help with price stability and help bring new players into the market more easily. Merching is something I struggle with a lot... it's a waste of time imo to look through fm.