1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making HP Washing Truly Optional - a Solution

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 25, 2021.

Do you think implementing this system would be good for the future of MapleLegends?

1. Yes

250 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Maybe

30 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    11:56 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    While the "just get HB in your party so you dont need wash so much" sounds really easy to say, but how easy is it to really find a DK without going through some connections?
    The additional burden you will be to party making, that someone have to make to slot you into a party with DK....or they can just say sorry and turn you down.

From a relative new (not a brand new player) player's pov, why should you make a DK when your weapon is expensive af / your HB is techinally replacement by HP washing / your damage arent attractive / zerking is not user friendly at all. With these, you are running into the problem of fewer number of DKs around which means less HB is out there.
    With less DKs out there you can't realiscally expect a DK to be with you on every single run. And HP washing becomes a pretty much a must.
    HB is pretty much a luxury that helps you to save some pots in most cases.

I won't have to go through the trouble to carrying all my int until lv150?160? or whenever, if I know i can just get HB in your runs.
    But sadly the fact is, you just can't assume that you will be having HB every single time, even then your HB can dc/die/pepega or whatever. Which cause the run to -2 instead of -1 runner.
    I also don't want to be over reliant on someone else for me to play my game.

Also, for the relative easy to hit bare min hp requirement.
    Most people are in boss runs for some enjoyment with their guild/friends, and not for a butt clenching experience up to 4 hours.
    You do need a bit of leeway above the min hp requirement.

And also, once you started HP washing, it is really just a point of no return. It is painful to play a 120int character because the shitty damage, so you just leech. Since you are already leeching why not just go 200,300,400 int? there is literally no difference to your leveling anyway.

This is also partly due to people collecting more NX over the years, so they are possible to wash much much more. I remember a thread back in 2017 saying it takes 4years of NX to make a 30k HP char. Also maple is about min-maxing really. People will pay hundreds of millions for 1 more wa. If they can do something to min-max the pot usage, people will do it.

First day here eh?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  3. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    STR mage? DEX mage? whatever mage? take your pick here

• Like Like x 1
  4. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    11:56 PM
    iPippy
    "But sadly the fact is, you just can't assume that you will be having SE every single time, even then your SE can dc/die/pepega or whatever. Which cause the run to -2 instead of -1 runner.
    I also don't want to be over reliant on someone else for me to play my game."

The meta is already to babysit NLs for whatever they need to play the game SlimePolice

#RemoveNL
    #FixShadowStar

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    5:56 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    110 votes yes. This should really tell the staff that people want some changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Kaeli

Kaeli Mano

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    sauce (lost)
    Kaeli
    Ranger
    Asura
    Harshly, been here since April first 2015 haha. Made a new account due to losing password to my previous one.

But what Myungsoo said,
    This is basically a collaborative smega to the staff. The grand majority of players are sick and tired of HP-washing, and I'm only seeing the reason to keep it is because old school players want to keep the game exclusively as a nostalgic product. There's no intention from the ones who disagree with OP of making the game more accessable for new players.

Holy SHIT it's 2021, people do not want to play an overcomplicated way to boss. Like many people said, it scares them off knowing they're going to have to go a giant roundabout way of finally getting to a boss.

I have two friends irl that I live with currently, let's call them Sam and Pam. Sam is a dude that never really played games in his life. Sam sees me playing MapleLegends all the time, like when we're all Netflixing together. He asks me what game it is, I explain it, and he responds that it looks fun and he wants to try, he asks me to explain more of the game. I explain the different classes and different skills they get, the party buff, the type of damage, etcetera.

Sam responds that he wants to try Night Lord after my explanation. I feel the dread kicking in, not having the heart to tell them I ditched my own Assassin years ago due to not HP washing it and me eventually hating the character.
    I tell Sam that it's a very fun character to play, but I suggest a different class first so they can get used to the game and when they understand it well enough, they should give NL a try. The visible disappoint Sam had in his face when he told me "So I can't even play the job that I want to enjoy it?"
    Long story short, he decided by himself he'll try Ice Lightning, despite being initially discouraged but he wants to try anyway because I'm a friend and sees me enjoying the game anyway. Would he ever play the game on his own if it wasn't for me? Absolutely not.

Meanwhile Pam is used to his own games, he's been playing them his whole life, so he has a library with plenty of options whenever he's bored.
    I ask him if he wants to join trying out the game with Sam, since socialization is the best aspect of the game. Since he's more experienced with gaming I could explain MapleStory as the MMORPG it is without leaving details out. He also got taken aback by HP washing, doubting between Pally and Hero. The guide I showed him said Paladin needs more washing than Hero, and he asked me for my advice.

And guys I gotta tell you, I play this shitty mushroom game since 2008, Europe MS version. I literally only understood how HP washing truly worked like 3 weeks ago.

Of course I couldn't assume he would take as long as me, since I very much avoided the topic while playing private servers (due to my dislike of the mechanic) and finding myself stuck several times because I didn't wash. I gave in, told him I also recommend Hero and when he knows the game better, he should try Pally. Not liking that it has to be so complicated, he's about to say no thanks to my request because he has plenty of other games to play that aren't this roundabout. I still managed to convince him to try it, to just play the game as he wants to because at least you can enjoy the levels up until 120 no problem.
    Despite being disappointed with my answer first, he decides to give it a chance for me. (Luckily he's been enjoying Maple Island. He hasn't left yet cause he keeps whacking snails. So proud of him!)

Old players need to realize that at this point they're gate-keeping a very accessable game, trying to refute a suggestion that I see no legitimate downside on.

Yeah maybe we will have lvl 135 bandits running around, doing normal damage but having a huge HP bar. They can still participate in runs with friends without stress and enjoy the game as it's meant to be played.

TL;DR: HP washing was never a feature. It was a player-made exploitation of a mechanic. It scares new players off. Please stop pretending that it's essential core game-play.

• Great Work Great Work x 13
  7. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    9:56 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    This is somewhat of a misdirection, you make it sound as if everyone is in favor of getting rid of washing altogether. The poll shows that most of the voters are in favor of sku's proposed system, but that doesn't mean the majority of players are in favor of entirely eliminating HP washing. We all know that HP washing is an imperfect system, old players know this, new players know this, and staff certainly knows this. But it would be naïve to think staff can magically wave a wand and get rid all washing without incurring a myriad of problems.

This thread by sku got a lot of responses not because it is the 43rd thread demanding we get rid of washing, but because it offers an incremental solution that can be practically applied. There is a big difference between the two.

• Agree Agree x 11
  8. Kaeli

Kaeli Mano

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    sauce (lost)
    Kaeli
    Ranger
    Asura
    Duuuuude entirely missing my point. I'm in favour of Sku's suggestion. Also literally I said at the start of my message that the majority dislikes it, not everyone lmfao

9. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    9:56 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I understand your point and even roughly agree on your overall position, but I think it is you that is missing my point. What I pointed out wasn't a matter of "majority" vs "everyone", rather that there is a bad interpretation of the poll stats. You cannot use a poll for an incremental change to argue that most people are against HP washing, nor that old players are against removing washing for nostalgia reasons. If you worded the poll like, "should we remove all stats gained from washing?", then you would certainly not get the majority of people voting yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    If anything this suggestion would get more people into hp washing. This removes the fear of having a permanent screwed up character which is the biggest issue here imo.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. Kaeli

Kaeli Mano

Dec 15, 2020
    Female
    sauce (lost)
    Kaeli
    Ranger
    Asura
    Exactly! The combined use would be perfect imo. You use the potion quest next to some light HP washing, so you'll have a less harder time getting to the HP you want. You can always correct your character, it's basically fuck up-proof

12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    8:56 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Isn't blood HP a featured mechanic? People pretend like min-max damage is essential to core game-play when it is not.

In your analogy, you paint the picture as if the game is the problem when it is actually you who is the one causing discouragement in your friends by spreading misinformation.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    If the staff isn’t going to do something like this then they should take “Hp washing optional” out of the ad. It’s a blatant lie tbh. And frankly it’s kind of messed up to people that come here expecting it to really be optional just to have to either restart or quit because they “ruined” their character.

Might as well start advertising “bossing optional” instead :l

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Can you explain to everyone here what bosses you've been personally locked out of in Legends due to inadequate washing?

15. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Verga, toad and pb are all impossible without hp washing, also HT is impossible until you reach a higher lv. Am I wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    None of the above mentioned are impossible without hp washing. You can bloodwash to the minimum HP required pre-HB and HP gear and sacrifice damage while using apples as a damage loss buffer. You can rely on things like ress, smoke screen, and hb to reduce the chances of your party getting wiped, but the success rate is not automatically set at 0% if you have not washed.

You can also increase your chances of survival/clear by adding more team members to your expedition. A faster run will reduce the likelihood of you dying.

And for a boss like Verga, you can dodge every single attack.

Lastly, you need to get to adequate bossing levels to even comprehend these limitations, but the problem is nobody even gets to that point because of all the misinformation around this game.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Yea if you dump your ap into hp no shit they're not impossible. Who's gonna bring someone that needs constant ress and smoke screen to survive, let alone scuffed damage cuz they're missing ap.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    12:56 AM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    LF> Toad party, have 555 AP on HP (10.000 extra HP), pls carry me

• Like Like x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You do realize that there are 100+ int NLs that are accepted into 6-man HT parties on the condition that they apple?

Let me repeat the question again:
    Can you explain to everyone here what bosses you've been personally locked out of in Legends due to inadequate washing?

People seem to create a lot of hypothetical scenarios for people who get 'locked out' of content making MapleLegends a non-optional washing server.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  20. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    [​IMG]

I love when people say you can't kill PB without washing when 1k hp boat zerk is a thing in that boss