1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manifesto On The 3 Main Problems Plaguing The Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jesseaw, Feb 10, 2021.

1. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    9:43 AM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    And I am going to say this to OP again:
    It makes no sense for MapleLegends to change the pillar features of what's currently already working for the current player base - it's like asking MapleLegends to go from V0.62 to Big Bang for example.
    And to also quote Precel, even if changes are made to OP's favor, there will still complainers.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    2:43 AM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    To recap most of the answers: Don't change any of these bad mechanics cause it has always been like this and even if it's changed there will still exist complainers.

OK.

@Jesseaw unfortunately there's not much room for your opinion cause, as usual, the ones that end up voicing their concerns are usually the ones that have something to lose with these changes.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    6:43 PM
    How is a change considered good if it's going to mess up people that are washing, the server advertised that washing is optional, if you don't want to do it you don't have to.
    Just be careful not to touch the boss or get hit by it.

That was before :pinkbean: was a boss in the game, you would need 19k hp to tank Pink Bean's BigBang attack which does 18.9k HP.

So the goal is to tank the Beans big bang, being 19k.

4. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    9:43 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    There should be a !AioriaX command on discord and even these forums, that can used everytime one of these threads pop up. That answer is exactly what every long time player wants to tell all the new ones but are not able/willing to express themselves well enough to do so (including myself)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    I forgot to quote this in my post above, but its here now XD
    OnionScared
    pls don't kill me I love you Ethan Kekw

I agree, Ethan is the best there is at explaining things throughly and in a calm professional manner.

Just wish there were more Ethans like him
    MapleF13

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    10:43 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Im not against hp washing because actually that extend the life span of the playthought of a character. in fact the other servers that made the hp washing very easy and fast died fast because the character we're so easy to end and gets bored. in Legends many countermeasures and "helps" have been given to all players in equality of access. we all most know that maplelegends its just a private server made off from the original maplestory which was in this way. making this hp problem really a hassle with all the bosses.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I will quit if multiboxing is removed from the game.

What's plaguing this server is the entitlement of new players.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Azzlo

Azzlo Blue Snail

Aug 6, 2020
    Male
    3:43 AM
    As a new player I totally agree with all you said.
    When I started the server I was impressed how good everything is.
    I started with 3 other friends we all grinded together to 70,
    then I first saw this leech thing and i gotta totally dislike it.
    Also, my friends kinda lost motivation to grind cause its just so much easier/better to get leeched.
    To see a level 120-150 player is just nothing special.
    When we came to the server it was like damn look at this 140+ player.
    But now that u know most are just leeched to 120 is kinda sad.
    Still i gotta say, i was a top 3 Player on Mapleeurope before bb,
    and this server can really gives me vibes from back in the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Jesseaw

Jesseaw Orange Mushroom

Nov 25, 2020
    Male
    TheMagicStik
    Beginner
    Honestly this is a kinda shoot for the stars post, I dont expect half of this to be implemented, it's just a wishlist and sort of a place to consolidate my opinions about this matter.

However I will ask this, if there was an alternative for HP washing that allowed you to gain HP for late game without sacrificing mid game viability, wouldn't you prefer that?

The main thing I want to get out of this is a more balanced leveling experience. On GMS it was much better largely because of the larger pop/ channel quantity but I think to fix a lot of the problem imo its a simple balance shift that will do it.

Nerf leeching, I get what you're saying about minmaxing, I've got 10k hours on Path of Exile minmax is life, lets just make it the less effective path, you can very easily make it harder to do, reduce its efficiency, or remove it entirely. It's easily the worst way to play the game no ifs ands or butts about it.

Buff PQs LPQ, KPQ, and EPQ are obviously fine, the rest should get an exp buff, better loot pool, or a better grind reward (or a mixture of the 3). You yourself mentioned grinding as boring so leeching doesnt matter, what about PQs? If we make PQs a reliable alternative to leeching it makes the game much more dynamic and interactive.

If you buff PQs and nerf leeching, the only people who lose out are the afk leeches and the afk genesis spamming leechers. The people that benefit are the ones who want to play the game both through PQs and group grinding as well as the solo grinders because there will be more available maps. I feel like pretty simply you guys should be supporting people who actually play the game rather than the mass afk squad right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    9:43 PM
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    Very few people select servers specifically because they offer HP washing. It's not a mechanic people enjoy. Don't pretend like the server would have been better off with it than without it.

You really have to make a better argument for washing other than "it's always been that way".

I agree that the work put into existing washes need to be respected, and also that the time/work it takes to wash also is good for the game's longevity. However, the whole idea of literally being unable to play your attacker 7-8 months into playing a server because you're pumping fresh AP into int/MP is a massive turn-off to a lot of people.

Washing (a ~13k+ wash) is a requirement if you plan on spamming end-game raids. It's not something people "will just go an extra mile" for.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  11. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Read the other replies to this thread, you do not need 250 int and especially not at lvl 160.

And "it has always been this way" wasn't the only argument either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    Maybe I was wrong with how much INT you needed.

How much INT would you recommend washing with if your goal is to consistently do Pink Bean as ranged?

Consistently as in not needing a DK every run.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    So basically you would like to get rid of washing AND run Pink Bean as ranged without HB?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I'd like to see the work for washing to be back-loaded - you'd need to put in the same amount of work (or more), but you wouldn't need to decide to wash from level 1.

Believe it or not, the group of people that would like to play content pre-level 120 and people that would like to play content post-level 180 are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying this to make my own life easier - I'm already committed to a pretty heavy wash. It sickens me to see people defending HP wash as something to be proud about, however.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Yeah but you want to run the strongest boss introduced pre-bb without a crucial buff like HB? It doesn't make any sense to aim for that and that's what other people mean by players have unreasonable expectations that they turn themselves off.

I get washing is daunting but a goal like that is absurd. Doable, but absurd. Imagine mages saying they'll wash to 30k HP because they want to survive without Magic Guard and then talk about how washing needs to change.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    I run pink bean as a ranged character. I was able to wash enough with 100 base INT (maybe 120? been a while) with MP washing. Stocked up NX for a month before I started, and fully reset out INT and "bloodwashed" MP by level 150. Fully washed to maximum HP at around 165.

I think most people forget that levelling to 16x is not trivial, and still takes a few months. In that time, you'll have accumulated quite a bit of vote NX to spend on resets, and a few events would have passed to allow reset farming.

Pink bean will always require a DK for every run, and this will never change. If a DK d/cs, they're partyswapped to refresh HB because typically a few characters in each party will require HB.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Paladin, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    Homies
    I don't understand the hate for min-maxing. The entire game revolves around min-maxing. If you hate min-maxing it's hard to imagine you really enjoying the end-game content in the first place for very long.

I'm pretty familiar with washing and yeah, I kinda hate that it has taken over a year of voting to finish my hyper-washed character. But I didn't have to do that. I could have stopped at 10k HP clean (an amount that, with hp equips you can get to the point of doing PB with HB) and it would have taken me a fraction of the time, but I chose the longer route so that in the end I could have the HP I wanted. As others have pointed out, it was my choice to wash this amount, and honestly I enjoyed doing the calculations for it (although I'm probably in the minority there).

I believe a lot of the hate comes from misinformation, especially coming from discord, about how much int/HP is "required" and bad or incorrect explanations on how washing works. A great guide I always give to people asking about it is yogurtselleryogurtseller 's low base int MP washing guide. It shows that you don't really need that much int to get to your goal, and you can still play your character as you like while washing to your desired HP. It just takes some effort on the players part to try and plan your character, which is a big part of any MMORPG type game isn't it?

Take some time to read AioriaXAioriaX 's post as well, I always see him posting his thoughts as a lvl 200 barely washed NL, and it is always well put.

I will say I believe HP washing is technically required in this server. I know everyone says it is optional, but I don't believe a game mechanic is optional if it does not allow you to play the game in full without it. But regardless of that washing to get to the point you can play 100% of the content is not as bad as you think. To be on a PB run, you need (i think) ~10k clean HP by lvl 175 for 11.7k HP with equips AT THE EARLIEST! Let's say you had 120 base int + ~60 int in gear. You'd need around 1.8m NX to be fully washed as a NL/Archer. That number seems daunting, but with voting events + TopG + vote streak + NX drops, it'll take you maybe 7-8months of voting to get there. In that time, you'll be leveling up to 175 with not much of a damage hit from your int and without the need to leech, and honestly I think you'll get the NX needed in time for you to hit lvl 175 if you play a decent amount (or you'll get it before you even hit that mark if you don't play as often)

Obviously you can increase your base int amount and/or int gear amount and you'll be able to finish washing with less NX, but I gave 120int as a good playable amount of base int to have. Any game is what you make of it, so do your own thing and don't worry too much about having the most HP. Aim for the mins if you want to play all the content but don't want to go min-max HP, or don't and miss out on a couple late late game bosses.

Edit: I guess I'll add a note that I don't like that HP washing is required for all content, but I do like the fact that I can HP wash.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I might've been wrong about how most ranged players run PB - I'm a new player, after all. However, if your goal is to raid end-game bosses in ML, am I wrong in saying that you need a wash that'll cripple your early levels?

edit: I got sniped

19. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    You're not wrong. HP washing sucks but we need to make do with what we have because this washing mechanic is probably here to stay. The best we can do is manage expectations of how much INT and HP you really need because there's a lot of misinformation on many platforms (in game, discord, forums). There's a few ways of achieving a suitable and realistic HP goal with their own pros and cons, and the "best way" will differ between each player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I don't understand why such the HP wash system needs to be so punishing if your expectations for your character change while you're playing the game.

Some players will decide they enjoy the server more than they thought as they started, others will quit before getting to actually enjoy the content. If you have a light wash at 80-100 int and decide you want more HP (after getting all of the available HP), then your only choice is to re-make your character.

I know different servers have different things that work for them, but I saw all of the same arguments for washing on Saga. It was removed, nobody quit, and there was a pretty healthy influx of players that came into the server specifically because of the lack of int-washing (it was replaced by a different, but equally difficult way to gain HP).

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1